Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2020 Rice Baseball Schedule Released
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
2020 Rice Baseball Schedule Released
We open the season at home for a Valentine's Day weekend series vs. UT. We go out West to play a series vs. UC-Irvine (reciprocating last year's series at The Reck). We then play a home series vs. Missouri State before going to Lubbock for a series against top ranked Texas Tech-- our first series against the Red Raiders since the SWC days. Midweek games against UH x 3, Sam Houston State x 2, A&M, ULaLa, Texas State. McNeese, Prairie View A&M, Lamar and Houston Baptist.

Once again, a really nice OOC schedule...

https://riceowls.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball
10-03-2019 10:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

75src Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
RE: 2020 Rice Baseball Schedule Released
Going to renew my season ticket.
10-03-2019 05:55 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Just got an e-mail today saying they will auto-renew my tickets and debit my credit card tomorrow.
10-03-2019 07:21 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Reminder-- exhibition vs. Sam Houston State tonight at 6:00pm at Reckling. Attendance is free. And D1Baseball's Kendall Rogers will be in the house.
10-04-2019 07:47 AM
Advertisement

Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Lost 15-6? Not a good sign.
10-04-2019 10:31 PM
Swede Owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice Rice Baby

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Good lord. It's a scrimmage, not a game. Let's not read too much into it. Lots of people getting looks, and for what it's worth, Rice was ahead 5-3 going into the 8th. Somebody certainly got shelled in the 8th/9th, though....
10-04-2019 10:46 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

15-9 now (12 inning game).
10-04-2019 11:18 PM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Quote:Kendall Rogers
@KendallRogers
Spoke with @RiceBaseball skipper Matt Bragga for a while today. My fall report with reaction from Friday’s scrimmage out tomorrow.

He said C Justin Collins (I’m a HUGE fan), played weeks with a broken receiving hand last season. That doesn’t shock me at all. Tough as nails.
10-08-2019 02:39 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Here's Kendall's/D1Baseball's comprehensive Fall Report on the Owls, with numerous quotes from Coach Bragga...

https://d1baseball.com/featured/fall-report-rice-5/

Let me know if it's premium content, in which case I'll cut & paste key passages.
10-09-2019 02:08 PM
Musicowl1965 Offline
2nd String

(10-09-2019 02:08 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Here's Kendall's/D1Baseball's comprehensive Fall Report on the Owls, with numerous quotes from Coach Bragga...

Let me know if it's premium content, in which case I'll cut & paste key passages.

Thoughts?
10-09-2019 02:29 PM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(10-09-2019 02:29 PM)Musicowl1965 Wrote:  
(10-09-2019 02:08 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Here's Kendall's/D1Baseball's comprehensive Fall Report on the Owls, with numerous quotes from Coach Bragga...

Thoughts?

I agreed with most of it. We should have one of the best infields in the country with C Collins, 3B Comeaux, SS Cruz, 2B Edwards and either Fr LaRue or JUCO xfer Bulmin at 1B. Our offense could be the best we've had in years. JUCO transfer Brayden Combs (likely DH) is a power hitting stud and a much needed left-handed bat. However, aside from Gneitting, OF offense is a big question mark (either Beaulaurier, Cox or Cruz really needs to step up), and pitching is one HUGE question mark, as we return almost no one with any experience, and certainly no front line experience. From what I'm hearing, Roel Garcia will likely not be ready for game action until March, and then will likely start in the bullpen as he builds arm strength. This means we're going to be relying on the pair of JUCO RHPs (DeLeon, Conlon) as weekend starters. We'll need Dalton Wood to build on his second half showing from last Spring, and Greenwood bounce back from a sub-par first year at Rice in 2019 (when he was consistently hit hard). The grad transfer closer from Mercer (Kane) should help, but he's not a dominant type pitcher from what I saw in the one intrasquad I attended. Everyone else is either a true Freshman or guys with virtually no D1 experience.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2019 02:55 PM by waltgreenberg.)
10-09-2019 02:44 PM
Musicowl1965 Offline
2nd String

(10-09-2019 02:44 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(10-09-2019 02:29 PM)Musicowl1965 Wrote:  

Thoughts?

I agreed with most of it. We should have one of the best infields in the country with C Collins, 3B Comeaux, SS Cruz, 2B Edwards and either Fr LaRue or JUCO xfer Bulmin at 1B. However, aside from Gneitting, OF offense is a big question mark (either Beaulaurier, Cox or Cruz really needs to step up), and pitching is one HUGE question mark, as we return almost no one with any experience, and certainly no front line experience. From what I'm hearing, Roel Garcia will likely not be ready for game action until March, and then will likely start in the bullpen as he builds arm strength. This means we're going to be relying on the pair of JUCO RHPs (DeLeon, Conlon) as weekend starters. We'll need Dalton Wood to build on his second half showing from last Spring, and Greenwood bounce back from a sub-par first year at Rice in 2019 (when he was consistently hit hard). The grad transfer closer from Mercer (Kane) should help, but he's not a dominant type pitcher from what I saw in the one intrasquad I attended. Everyone else is either a true Freshman or guys with virtually no D1 experience.

Thanks Walt. I agree with the summary. Hopefully and improved offense will cover some possible weaker pitching.
10-09-2019 02:55 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Video of Coach Bragga's comments at yesterday's high school coaches conference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mueu6rl8POc
10-14-2019 07:46 PM
Musicowl1965 Offline
2nd String

(10-14-2019 07:46 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Video of Coach Bragga's comments at yesterday's high school coaches conference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mueu6rl8POc

Could not agree more with this. Too many parents think that hitting the showcase circuit is the way to get their kid noticed. These showcases are extremely expensive due to entry and travel costs. For instance you pay Perfect Game upwards of $750 to have them measure velocity (pitching or Exit Velocity for hitters) and "grade" the player on other skills (fielding etc.) and then post on their website. This prices many talented players out of the PG market (Much cheaper to video and gather this information yourself an post on "Flatground website" or other similar sites). However, the same player could go to a minimum of 4-5 college camps, for the same cost, and get a much more accurate evaluation (IMO) of skill set and at what level it plays (D1, D2 etc..). Also, at PG tournaments some players may never get a fielding opportunity and maybe a few at bats for the whole tournament. College camps offer more hitting, pitching and hitting opportunities as well. Perfect Game really "jumped the shark" when they stared posting 9 yr old stats!!! Was just proof that it was really not about exposure but getting a larger client base. No issue with trying to increase profits but let's be honest about it. If anyone would like to read up on this a good book to detail it is called "The Arm".

Rice has also started having HS showcase camps, in addition to their other skills camps, where teams can sign up to come play games at Reckling in front of the coaches. UH started this a while back and I'm really happy to see Rice doing the same. What HS player would not want the opportunity to play at Reckling and mingle with the coaches.
10-15-2019 08:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.