Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

****W6: Marshall (2-2) @ Middle Tennessee (1-3), 2:30, Facebook Live****
Bookmark and Share
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Exclamation ****W6: Marshall (2-2) @ Middle Tennessee (1-3), 2:30, Facebook Live****
There will be a lot of excitement surrounding this match...

MT has three losses to P5s, each progressively worse than the previous one with the last blowout being a 45 point beatdown.

And what the hell, while MT was getting crushed on the road, Marshall was at home hosting a fairly good Cincinnati team which stomped a mudhole up there in WV.

We're all abuzz here in the 'boro about this one. Thank God, we have beer on sale in the stadium now. The few dozen inspired to attend by both teams' performances this past weekend may set a record in sales of alcohol in JRF Stadium.

Marshall opened favored by 8.5, but that has dropped to only 6.5. It is a mystery why.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2019 11:37 AM by SpaceRaider.)
09-29-2019 04:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
RE: ****W6: Marshall (2-2) @ MTSU (1-3), 2:30, Facebook Live****
I haven't been to a game at your stadium yet. There was a group of us that had made plans to attend this week. We scrapped those plans at halftime on Saturday. I'll plan on coming some other year when the abilities of our teams exceed that of triple A high school ball.
09-29-2019 07:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

RE: ****W6: Marshall (2-2) @ Middle Tennessee (1-3), 2:30, Facebook Live****
(09-29-2019 04:50 PM)SpaceRaider Wrote:  There will be a lot of excitement surrounding this match...

MT has three losses to P5s, each progressively worse than the previous one with the last blowout being a 45 point beatdown.

And what the hell, while MT was getting crushed on the road, Marshall was at home hosting a fairly good Cincinnati team which stomped a mudhole up there in WV.

We're all abuzz here in the 'boro about this one. Thank God, we have beer on sale in the stadium now. The few dozen inspired to attend by both teams' performances this past weekend may set a record in sales of alcohol in JRF Stadium.

Marshall opened favored by 8.5, but that has dropped to only 6.5. It is a mystery why.

Line has settled at around -4 for Marshall.

Take Marshall all day long...
10-03-2019 05:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
herdfifteen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: uncw
(10-03-2019 05:49 PM)SpaceRaider Wrote:  
(09-29-2019 04:50 PM)SpaceRaider Wrote:  There will be a lot of excitement surrounding this match...

Line has settled at around -4 for Marshall.

Take Marshall all day long...
There is no way I would ever bet Marshall in this game, we have a lack of talent and our coaching is worse than our talent. MT wins this game.
10-04-2019 07:07 AM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

I Root For: MTSU
MT is picked to lose to Marshall by all of our local prognosticators. Most of them having us losing by more that the spread. GOOD NEWS, MT/Marshall games at Floyd are always close. Fortunately, the Herd is not Meeeshegin, eye away, or the Dookies. 02-13-banana So, we got a wee bit of hope03-cloud9
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2019 08:30 AM by BlueRaiderBoy.)
10-04-2019 08:29 AM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

Coach Stockstill building "excitement" at MTSU...

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2019 09:11 AM by CoachMaclid.)
10-04-2019 09:10 AM
Advertisement

THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(10-04-2019 08:29 AM)BlueRaiderBoy Wrote:  MT is picked to lose to Marshall by all of our local prognosticators. Most of them having us losing by more that the spread. GOOD NEWS, MT/Marshall games at Floyd are always close. Fortunately, the Herd is not Meeeshegin, eye away, or the Dookies. 02-13-banana So, we got a wee bit of hope03-cloud9

Uh, 38-10 is a close game?

That being said, I think I’m picking MT in this one.
10-04-2019 09:16 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(10-04-2019 09:10 AM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  Coach Stockstill building "excitement" at MTSU...

Oof!
10-04-2019 09:17 AM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

(10-04-2019 09:16 AM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  
(10-04-2019 08:29 AM)BlueRaiderBoy Wrote:  MT is picked to lose to Marshall by all of our local prognosticators. Most of them having us losing by more that the spread. GOOD NEWS, MT/Marshall games at Floyd are always close. Fortunately, the Herd is not Meeeshegin, eye away, or the Dookies. 02-13-banana So, we got a wee bit of hope03-cloud9

Uh, 38-10 is a close game?

That being said, I think I’m picking MT in this one.

Of course 38-10 was not close, that one of several games that Brent Stockstill was sitting due to serious injuries and MT was forced to go with two the worst backup #2 and #3 qbs in the history of MT. Not making injuries an excuse for losing, but I do think the game would have been tighter in 2017 if Brent had been good to go.

As far as this year, our offensive and defensive lines have been sieves and our corners don't have a clue. Marshall to win and cover. Bet the mortgages, Herd nation.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2019 11:00 AM by SpaceRaider.)
10-04-2019 11:00 AM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

(10-04-2019 11:00 AM)SpaceRaider Wrote:  As far as this year, our offensive and defensive lines have been sieves and our corners don't have a clue. Marshall to win and cover. Bet the mortgages, Herd nation.

I know there hasn't been a lot of real discussion about this game (the internet is overplaying the "we suck" mentality), but corners are the key to the game.

With Obialo not having played a single snap this year, Marshall doesn't have explosive playmakers at receiver. Boise and Cincy both had the defensive backs that could lock down Marshall's receivers in straight man coverage, allowing them to stack the box and force Marshall to pass. Marshall's WR's were not able to find any separation from Boise and UC's secondaries in straight man coverage. Marshall resorted to bubble screens, sweeps, and jets to try to get to the outside. When opponents stack the box and can contain the boundaries, and the WR's can't beat single man coverage, Marshall had no answer offensively against the two teams with "athletes" at the corners and backs.

If you can have the corners and safeties that can lock down the receivers, you can beat Marshall... but I don't think we have many teams left on our schedule that can automatically lock Marshall's receivers. We've been stout against the run, but we've been exploited by opponent's passing games. Competitive games will be found against competent passing teams, and wins can be had against Marshall if you feature a legit secondary.

Ultimately, I am expecting a win this week for Marshall. But even though they are off to a rough start, someone like FIU with a healthy Morgan could probably meet those criteria above for a win. Most of the other teams in the league that might are in the other division and not on Marshall's schedule. But ultimate, Marshall's receivers were able to escape enough against MAC favorite Ohio to run the offense. I expect that to be the same in CUSA play.

BTW, Happy Doc Holliday Day! 10-4!
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2019 11:56 AM by CoachMaclid.)
10-04-2019 11:48 AM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
We lost our top 3 corners from last season. And it shows. We have damn near elite safeties but the others out on the island often look like they are sipping margaritas when the ball is snapped. Your receivers will get good this week. Those safeties are also the top two tacklers on the team so you won't see a lot of resistance coming from the front seven either.

And to make matters worse - with Shafer as the DC - we blitz about 90% of defensive plays so your receivers will have a lot of one on one opportunities to feel better.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2019 11:58 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
10-04-2019 11:56 AM
Advertisement

Dusky Offline
1st String

I Root For: Winning in Paradise
(10-04-2019 11:48 AM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  
(10-04-2019 11:00 AM)SpaceRaider Wrote:  As far as this year, our offensive and defensive lines have been sieves and our corners don't have a clue. Marshall to win and cover. Bet the mortgages, Herd nation.

I know there hasn't been a lot of real discussion about this game (the internet is overplaying the "we suck" mentality), but corners are the key to the game.

With Obialo not having played a single snap this year, Marshall doesn't have explosive playmakers at receiver. Boise and Cincy both had the defensive backs that could lock down Marshall's receivers in straight man coverage, allowing them to stack the box and force Marshall to pass. Marshall's WR's were not able to find any separation from Boise and UC's secondaries in straight man coverage. Marshall resorted to bubble screens, sweeps, and jets to try to get to the outside. When opponents stack the box and can contain the boundaries, and the WR's can't beat single man coverage, Marshall had no answer offensively against the two teams with "athletes" at the corners and backs.

If you can have the corners and safeties that can lock down the receivers, you can beat Marshall... but I don't think we have many teams left on our schedule that can automatically lock Marshall's receivers. We've been stout against the run, but we've been exploited by opponent's passing games. Competitive games will be found against competent passing teams, and wins can be had against Marshall if you feature a legit secondary.

Ultimately, I am expecting a win this week for Marshall. But even though they are off to a rough start, someone like FIU with a healthy Morgan could probably meet those criteria above for a win. Most of the other teams in the league that might are in the other division and not on Marshall's schedule. But ultimate, Marshall's receivers were able to escape enough against MAC favorite Ohio to run the offense. I expect that to be the same in CUSA play.

BTW, Happy Doc Holliday Day! 10-4!

I think you forgot you play at FAU in a few weeks and we’re feeling pretty good about how this team is coming together right now especially with MT and Marshall at home after a bye. I hope your team shows up with the same same arrogance, it would make it more fun.
10-04-2019 02:32 PM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

(10-04-2019 02:32 PM)Dusky Wrote:  I think you forgot you play at FAU in a few weeks and we’re feeling pretty good about how this team is coming together right now especially with MT and Marshall at home after a bye. I hope your team shows up with the same same arrogance, it would make it more fun.

I sincerely apologize that FAU's philosophy and style does not match up as favorably to our exploitable weaknesses as others do.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2019 03:15 PM by CoachMaclid.)
10-04-2019 03:13 PM
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
(10-04-2019 09:10 AM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  Coach Stockstill building "excitement" at MTSU...

Exhibit A. As to why there is no excitement with our fanbase. Those students probably don't even know who he is.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2019 03:51 PM by MT FAN.)
10-04-2019 03:51 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Marshall by a bunch..... maybe if its 56-0 stockstill can get fired like chris ash just did.
10-04-2019 04:30 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt declares this a loser leave town game. The losing team will be replaced in cusa by coastal
10-04-2019 05:02 PM
Advertisement

SpaceRaider Offline
All American

[Image: EGDyIDnWoAUirlj?format=png&name=small]
10-04-2019 05:59 PM
SouthernHerd Offline
Water Engineer

After the Herd getting curb stomped by Cincy last week at home and showing little effort. I have a feeling this can turn into 2016 again for the Herd if they lose this one. Hopefully that will be enough for Doc to get fired if it happens.
10-04-2019 06:18 PM
Country_Wisdom_359 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Lopes, Govs, Raiders
(10-04-2019 05:02 PM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  clt declares this a loser leave town game. The losing team will be replaced in cusa by coastal

Is this before or after CUSA swaps out Charlotte for Liberty? 02-13-banana
10-04-2019 07:54 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-04-2019 07:54 PM)Country_Wisdom_359 Wrote:  
(10-04-2019 05:02 PM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  clt declares this a loser leave town game. The losing team will be replaced in cusa by coastal

Is this before or after CUSA swaps out Charlotte for Liberty? 02-13-banana

Or JMU.
10-04-2019 08:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.