Report: NMSU May Hire Firm to Help Football Find Conference
09-24-2019 01:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
RE: Report: NMSU May Hire Firm to Help Football Find Conference
I'd rather have NCA&T than NMSU in the conference. No offense to the Aggies, but y'all just too far away.
09-24-2019 02:06 PM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
(09-24-2019 02:06 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  I'd rather have NCA&T than NMSU in the conference. No offense to the Aggies, but y'all just too far away.

I think if they ever had a legitimate shot at staying or becoming full members it would've happened during their sales pitch they made which was ultimately shot down by league officials (though I always found it interesting TMo was a public proponent of adding them as full members).

I'm sure MWC is the dream but I just can't see them adding the aggies and sitting at uneven numbers.

I still think they're best bet is trying to spearhead the effort at re-establishing football in the WAC with Dixie State (who's moving their football to FCS currently) and trying to get some Big Sky Folks (like Idaho) to defect.
09-24-2019 02:15 PM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
C-USA would work for them (especially rival/travel partner in UTEP). They would need to wait until someone left for the AAC however (maybe UAB or ODU for example). With that said, I'm pretty sure C-USA would find a better replacement for those schools than NMSU (GSU comes to mind). NMSU is in a rough spot it seems. I wonder if they will have to drop down to FCS at some point.
09-24-2019 03:06 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(09-24-2019 02:15 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  
(09-24-2019 02:06 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  I'd rather have NCA&T than NMSU in the conference. No offense to the Aggies, but y'all just too far away.

I think if they ever had a legitimate shot at staying or becoming full members it would've happened during their sales pitch they made which was ultimately shot down by league officials (though I always found it interesting TMo was a public proponent of adding them as full members).

I'm sure MWC is the dream but I just can't see them adding the aggies and sitting at uneven numbers.

I still think they're best bet is trying to spearhead the effort at re-establishing football in the WAC with Dixie State
(who's moving their football to FCS currently) and trying to get some Big Sky Folks (like Idaho) to defect.

I've wondered about that myself. After 2013 (when TXST, UTA, UTSA, LTU, SJSU, and Utah State left), they reloaded with the Great West schools. Its been a mixed bag of D1 non football schools, and they havent had much luck pulling any D1 schools into their league.

So far, their course of action has been to invite non-D1 schools without football with aspirations of D1. Grand Canyon, Cal State Bako, Utah Valley. However, that I wonder if that well is starting to run dry as well. The other schools that have been recently linked to the conference include Dixie State (D2 football), Colorado Mesa (d2 football), Tarleton State (d2 football).

Based on the D1 study on Tarleton's website, the WAC expressed interest but Tarleton needed a place for football. What if the league is ready to restart FCS football as a way of getting a new crop of FCS schools?

My question to you is, its one thing to offer a path for D2 schools to move up to D1 but is going to pull someone from the Big Sky to a WAC that is trying to find its brand?
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2019 03:12 PM by chrisattsu.)
09-24-2019 03:12 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
I wish we took them. Basketball would really help. But 10 seems to be a good number for now and 12 for basketball.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2019 03:18 PM by slycat.)
09-24-2019 03:18 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
in the modern age of NCAA football with plenty of indy teams to play and so many bowls you can get in as an 'at large' I don't see their rush...go be cannon fodder for the Pac-12 and make money that way.
09-24-2019 03:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

As crazy as it may sound, if 6 is the minimum needed for FBS football conference, why not team up with other Independents? NMSU, UConn, UMass, and Liberty all come to mind. I supposed Army could be possible as well (but doubt they would join). If they could get 2 others to move up, they could possibly have themselves a conference. Maybe JMU? Somebody else?
09-24-2019 03:24 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(09-24-2019 03:24 PM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  As crazy as it may sound, if 6 is the minimum needed for FBS football conference, why not team up with other Independents? NMSU, UConn, UMass, and Liberty all come to mind. I supposed Army could be possible as well (but doubt they would join). If they could get 2 others to move up, they could possibly have themselves a conference. Maybe JMU? Somebody else?

Army and JMU wouldn't touch that with a 10' pole.

Another school that could follow the Liberty path of the unspoken threat of a lawsuit against the NCAA unless granted a waiver to move up without a conference invite is NC A&T. Can't think of another school that desires to move up that could use that tactic though unless you want to get into David St levels of discussion.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2019 03:29 PM by Yosef Himself.)
09-24-2019 03:29 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(09-24-2019 03:24 PM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  As crazy as it may sound, if 6 is the minimum needed for FBS football conference, why not team up with other Independents? NMSU, UConn, UMass, and Liberty all come to mind. I supposed Army could be possible as well (but doubt they would join). If they could get 2 others to move up, they could possibly have themselves a conference. Maybe JMU? Somebody else?

You might could try to coax Idaho back out of the Big Sky.
09-24-2019 03:35 PM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

(09-24-2019 03:35 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

You might could try to coax Idaho back out of the Big Sky.

I guess, maybe.
09-24-2019 03:36 PM
Advertisement

Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

(09-24-2019 03:29 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  

Army and JMU wouldn't touch that with a 10' pole.

Another school that could follow the Liberty path of the unspoken threat of a lawsuit against the NCAA unless granted a waiver to move up without a conference invite is NC A&T. Can't think of another school that desires to move up that could use that tactic though unless you want to get into David St levels of discussion.

If JMU needs an outlet to move up, that might be it. Not sure who else is looking to move up these days.
09-24-2019 03:36 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
NMSU will have a very hard time finding a conference if they don't start winning football games. Having a winning season every 10 years doesn't cut it.

The only desirable thing about NMSU is their basketball, and that's literally it.
09-24-2019 04:39 PM
Bronco85 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: COI, BSU
(09-24-2019 03:24 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  in the modern age of NCAA football with plenty of indy teams to play and so many bowls you can get in as an 'at large' I don't see their rush...go be cannon fodder for the Pac-12 and make money that way.

That is what they are doing. They are fortunate to have 2 local and historic rivals who will play them every year (UNM & UTEP). The MWC teams seem willing to schedule them as do some of the independent schools. UI on the other hand, did not have these advantages (and they have a 15,000 seat stadium in the middle of nowhere) so they joined the only D1 conference that would have them (excepting the WAC), the BSC. Unless you advocate Memphis leaving the AAC and becoming "cannon fodder" for the SEC and ACC, you understand why the Aggies do not favor independence but rather tolerate independence until they can get an FBS home.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2019 05:04 PM by Bronco85.)
09-24-2019 05:02 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Not sure how hiring a firm really helps their cause to get into a conference. It’s not like conferences are hard to identify. I think all this just leads to one more step towards a reclassification, it just does. If another conference is created, that is more schools the big boys will be forced to share their money with, and they won’t like that at all. 05-nono

The question I have, is how long until an HBCU does really make that move to FBS??? The Louisiana schools are hurting to much financially, but I think a school like Alabama St or the before mentioned NC A&T could do it.
09-25-2019 02:03 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
With NMSU this seems to be last gasp. I can't see them going to FCS . No leagues are all that close. I think I will soon be a basketball school. No football.
09-25-2019 02:09 PM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(09-24-2019 03:24 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  in the modern age of NCAA football with plenty of indy teams to play and so many bowls you can get in as an 'at large' I don't see their rush...go be cannon fodder for the Pac-12 and make money that way.

Would work as a way to build your facilities and work on recruiting based on competition as well.
09-25-2019 02:27 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(09-24-2019 01:45 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  https://apnews.com/f6bcabc3ec514d3fb0d4d...ce=Twitter

They need help finding a conference? Seroiusly? Where are they going to look?
[Image: giphy.gif]
09-25-2019 02:47 PM
T2003 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy & Auburn
(09-25-2019 02:03 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Not sure how hiring a firm really helps their cause to get into a conference. It’s not like conferences are hard to identify. I think all this just leads to one more step towards a reclassification, it just does. If another conference is created, that is more schools the big boys will be forced to share their money with, and they won’t like that at all. 05-nono

The question I have, is how long until an HBCU does really make that move to FBS??? The Louisiana schools are hurting to much financially, but I think a school like Alabama St or the before mentioned NC A&T could do it.

Already too many FBS schools in AL...
09-25-2019 03:05 PM
FTE_rawr Offline
Special Teams

(09-25-2019 03:05 PM)T2003 Wrote:  
(09-25-2019 02:03 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Not sure how hiring a firm really helps their cause to get into a conference. It’s not like conferences are hard to identify. I think all this just leads to one more step towards a reclassification, it just does. If another conference is created, that is more schools the big boys will be forced to share their money with, and they won’t like that at all. 05-nono

Already too many FBS schools in AL...

Same for NC, but A&T is being held down so hard where they are. I feel bad for them
09-25-2019 03:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.