Nov 22 Mississippi State/ Tulane
Nov 23 TBA Ohio/Baylor/Utah/Coastal Carolina
Nov 30 vs Belmont
Dec 3 vs Colombia International???
Dec 7 @ Murray State
Dec 14 @ Ole Miss
Dec 21 vs St Bonaventure
Dec 29 vs Rhode Island

Man, I don't know what stings more, the multiple non-D1 games or the possibility of two games with Costco Carolina.
09-23-2019 05:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Middle Tennessee Releases OOC Basketball Schedule
My mother taught me if I had nothing nice to say, I shouldn't say anything...

... but man does that schedule sucks.
09-23-2019 05:15 PM
Jack Bauer Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
It’s what mtsu needs this year. Smart scheduling on their part. If north Texas, mtsu and some other schools schedule this bad we might have a chance to actually have some wins under our belt even for the lower level guys.
09-23-2019 05:36 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(09-23-2019 05:15 PM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  My mother taught me if I had nothing nice to say, I shouldn't say anything...

It does pick up at the end with those last four OOC games, including two home games against possible A-10 contenders.
09-23-2019 06:10 PM
Franko Offline
1st String

(09-23-2019 06:10 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(09-23-2019 05:15 PM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  My mother taught me if I had nothing nice to say, I shouldn't say anything...

It does pick up at the end with those last four OOC games, including two home games against possible A-10 contenders.
I agree, that schedule looks pretty decent to me. A lot of pretty good teams on there. Now obviously not a who's who of college hoops programs, other than Villanova, but some of the teams have been solid as of late or longer. Now not sure what they have coming back but Lipscomb, Belmont (ask WKU about Belmont), Rhode Island, St. Bonnies, Ole Miss, Miss State, Murray State, Villanova, Baylor, and Utah.
That is not a bad schedule.
09-23-2019 06:18 PM
Advertisement

MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
It's a good schedule for the team we have this year. Especially, since we lost one of our starting post players (Dishman) over the summer to injury and Scurry will have to sit our the first 11 games due to his transfer. It's definitely no worse than most CUSA schedules.
09-24-2019 08:47 AM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(09-23-2019 05:04 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(09-23-2019 04:54 PM)MT FAN Wrote:  Nov 5th vs Maryville College
Nov 9th @ Libscomb
Nov 13th vs Mars Hill?
Nov 18th @ Costal Carolina
Myrtle Beach Invitational
Nov 21 Villanova
Nov 30 vs Belmont
Dec 7 @ Murray State
Dec 14 @ Ole Miss
Dec 21 vs St Bonaventure
Dec 29 vs Rhode Island

Man, I don't know what stings more, the multiple non-D1 games or the possibility of two games with Costco Carolina.

Shocking from an ODU fan. Shocking I tell you.
09-24-2019 08:48 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

No one can say that schedules sucks when compared to the Mean Green's non conference schedule last season....That schedule will be hard to beat...
09-24-2019 10:00 AM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

We don't need a fancy schedule to hype up the game against MT. We've already got that script written.
09-24-2019 12:53 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-24-2019 08:48 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
Nov 9th @ Libscomb
Nov 13th vs Mars Hill?
Nov 21 Villanova
Nov 30 vs Belmont
Dec 7 @ Murray State
Dec 14 @ Ole Miss
Dec 21 vs St Bonaventure
Dec 29 vs Rhode Island

Aw, c'mon, you can't say with a straight face that games against D2, D3 and NAIA schools are ideal. Nobody in CUSA should want that. Even if you accept it as a inevitability of scheduling fate as a mid-major, you can't do anything better that begrudgingly tolerate it. It still sucks to have to see it, especially since you did get two upper-division A10 schools to come to your place for the holidays (which I also pointed out a couple of posts later, but you might have missed that).
09-24-2019 01:01 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

(09-24-2019 01:01 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
Nov 9th @ Libscomb
Nov 13th vs Mars Hill?
Nov 21 Villanova
Nov 30 vs Belmont
Dec 7 @ Murray State
Dec 14 @ Ole Miss
Dec 21 vs St Bonaventure
Dec 29 vs Rhode Island

Aw, c'mon, you can't say with a straight face that games against D2, D3 and NAIA schools are ideal. Nobody in CUSA should want that. Even if you accept it as a inevitability of scheduling fate as a mid-major, you can't do anything better that begrudgingly tolerate it. It still sucks to have to see it, especially since you did get two upper-division A10 schools to come to your place for the holidays (which I also pointed out a couple of posts later, but you might have missed that).

When another school has accomplished what MT basketball has in C-USA 3.0 you can talk to me about our schedule.

I can't yet tell you McDevitt's scheduling philosophy since this is the first schedule he has put together, but there is one thing I note which is the absence of local programs which usually imprint a huge drag on the schedule. The lack of games against Austin Peay or Tennessee Tech programs that are typically bottom feeder OVC schools aren't on the schedule. Ostensibly they have been replaced with non-Division 1 games. You can't tell me play a six-win team with an RPI of 317 is any better than a game against an opponent that doesn't count. Because you just can't. But to answer your question yes of course I agree with you. We, of course, would like 100% D1 games, but what is the feasibility of that? I think that's a different story.

Lastly, we have these same damn discussions every year, and I have repeatedly addressed this (especially when Kermit was the coach) how hard it was for MT to schedule quality opponents because a) no one wanted to play us and b) there is a travel budget and we don't have five dozen decent basketball programs within a three hour drive like ODU has. So, finding home games is hard. Very hard for us. So again, rinse repeat same discussion we have every year on this topic. And like last year and the year before you guys are still wrong on the issue, because our situation is different than yours there.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2019 02:03 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
09-24-2019 01:38 PM
MonarchManiac Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(09-24-2019 01:38 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(09-24-2019 01:01 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
Nov 9th @ Libscomb
Nov 13th vs Mars Hill?
Nov 21 Villanova
Nov 30 vs Belmont
Dec 7 @ Murray State
Dec 14 @ Ole Miss
Dec 21 vs St Bonaventure
Dec 29 vs Rhode Island

When another school has accomplished what MT basketball has in C-USA 3.0 you can talk to me about our schedule.

I can't yet tell you McDevitt's scheduling philosophy since this is the first schedule he has put together, but there is one thing I note which is the absence of local programs which usually imprint a huge drag on the schedule. The lack of games against Austin Peay or Tennessee Tech programs that are typically bottom feeder OVC schools aren't on the schedule. Ostensibly they have been replaced with non-Division 1 games. You can't tell me play a six-win team with an RPI of 317 is any better than a game against an opponent that doesn't count. Because you just can't. Would we like 100% D1 games. Of course. Feasibility of that? Different story.

Lastly, we have these same damn discussions every year, and I have repeatedly addressed this (especially when Kermit was the coach) how hard it was for MT to schedule quality opponents because a) no one wanted to play us and b) there is a travel budget and we don't have five dozen decent basketball programs within a three hour drive like ODU has. So, finding home games is hard. Very hard for us. So again, rinse repeat same discussion we have every year on this topic. And like last year and the year before you guys are still wrong on the issue, because our situation is different than yours there.

03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit
09-24-2019 01:46 PM
Heisman

One other thing. Of course there is no way to know if a team will be as good this year as they were last year, but there are six teams on that schedule that were top 50 last year in the RPI. Only one is over 200 and we might not even play that team as it is in a tournament. Can anyone else claim a tougher schedule in that regard?

I will even save you the time as ODU plays ONE. And it's the VCU game. And you play several more schools that were 200 and even 300+ in the RPI last year.

So, get that **** out of here with this scheduling nonsense. ODU's schedule should be much tougher than what your team is playing considering the access to the mid-Atlantic and northeast corridor, coming off a conference championship, and stability in the coaching staff.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2019 01:53 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
09-24-2019 01:49 PM
Heisman

Average Opponent 18-19 RPI

Middle Tennessee = 125
Old Dominion = 186

Average Top 5 Opponents RPI
Middle Tennessee = 33
Old Dominion = 95

ODU fans please tell us more about how to schedule.

And BTW, this isn't directed at you Cyniclone. More of a steady beat we hear every year from a lot of different ODU fans, so I guess my response is based on that cumulative build up over the past few years and not any one poster. So, wasn't trying to single you out FWIW.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2019 02:05 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
09-24-2019 02:01 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
I was going to actually compliment the schedule, but it appears I'm unqualified to do so since we've only had one CUSA championship.
09-24-2019 02:22 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-24-2019 01:38 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  I can't yet tell you McDevitt's scheduling philosophy since this is the first schedule he has put together, but there is one thing I note which is the absence of local programs which usually imprint a huge drag on the schedule. The lack of games against Austin Peay or Tennessee Tech programs that are typically bottom feeder OVC schools aren't on the schedule. Ostensibly they have been replaced with non-Division 1 games. You can't tell me play a six-win team with an RPI of 317 is any better than a game against an opponent that doesn't count. Because you just can't. But to answer your question yes of course I agree with you. We, of course, would like 100% D1 games, but what is the feasibility of that? I think that's a different story.

Literally my only point was that it sucks to have three non-D1 games on the schedule. Are you trying to tell me it didn't bother you to see them on the regular-season schedule? It was an attempt at empathy, believe it or not (also an excuse to workshop "Costco Carolina" as a burn, though I have no way of knowing if that's even close to being true, and also acknowledging my other school has a basketball arena that's often compared to a Costco).

(also for what it's worth, a lot of ODU posters hate our scheduling too. I can't even imagine what would happen if Christopher Newport, Virginia State and Elizabeth City State were on the schedule. They might forget about firing Bobby Wilder and move on to firing Wood Selig and Jeff Jones earlier than usual)

ETA: Hand over heart, I wasn't trolling. I get that ODU posters have a reputation for being OOC gatekeepers, so I understand the response and hold no ill will toward it.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2019 03:02 PM by Cyniclone.)
09-24-2019 02:59 PM
Heisman

(09-24-2019 02:59 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(09-24-2019 01:38 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  I can't yet tell you McDevitt's scheduling philosophy since this is the first schedule he has put together, but there is one thing I note which is the absence of local programs which usually imprint a huge drag on the schedule. The lack of games against Austin Peay or Tennessee Tech programs that are typically bottom feeder OVC schools aren't on the schedule. Ostensibly they have been replaced with non-Division 1 games. You can't tell me play a six-win team with an RPI of 317 is any better than a game against an opponent that doesn't count. Because you just can't. But to answer your question yes of course I agree with you. We, of course, would like 100% D1 games, but what is the feasibility of that? I think that's a different story.

Literally my only point was that it sucks to have three non-D1 games on the schedule. Are you trying to tell me it didn't bother you to see them on the regular-season schedule? It was an attempt at empathy, believe it or not (also an excuse to workshop "Costco Carolina" as a burn, though I have no way of knowing if that's even close to being true, and also acknowledging my other school has a basketball arena that's often compared to a Costco).

(also for what it's worth, a lot of ODU posters hate our scheduling too. I can't even imagine what would happen if Christopher Newport, Virginia State and Elizabeth City State were on the schedule. They might forget about firing Bobby Wilder and move on to firing Wood Selig and Jeff Jones earlier than usual)

ETA: Hand over heart, I wasn't trolling. I get that ODU posters have a reputation for being OOC gatekeepers, so I understand the response and hold no ill will toward it.

All fair points. I wouldn't say it bothered me. I think it's ridiculous to have that many, but I do know what a hard time Kermit had scheduling and he's so well connected. CNM has only been at one school his whole life until now, so I can't imagine scheduling suddenly got easier - especially with his background.

I've minced no words that I felt like CNM was the wrong hire for MT. We had Ryan Odom locked down and ready to accept. He was the guy I felt like was the right hire and though I know he would have only stayed 3 to 5 years he would have probably held it together in year one and had us rocking again this year. IMO, CNM has looked in over his head a few times, but the team played better late and like I said with the scheduling he doesn't have the contacts so I'm trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and be supportive as much as I can given I felt like it was a bad hire. And frankly like I showed above the rest of schedule is pretty damn tough.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2019 07:29 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
09-24-2019 07:27 PM
Magic95Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Texas
Looks solid to me. We all hate the sub D1 games that our AD's schedule but there are enough good games on here to far outweigh those.
09-24-2019 10:19 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Nov 9th @ Libscomb
Nov 13th vs Mars Hill?
Nov 21 Villanova
Nov 30 vs Belmont
Dec 7 @ Murray State
Dec 14 @ Ole Miss
Dec 21 vs St Bonaventure
Dec 29 vs Rhode Island

This really isn't a bad schedule. Especially when you compare it to UAB's schedule.
09-25-2019 05:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.