Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Week 5 upsets?
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
Week 5 upsets?
Will there be chaos in week 5 and who is likely to be upset?

12 Penn State (-6.5)
Maryland

Arizona State
15 Cal (-4.5)

Texas Tech
6 Oklahoma (-24.5)

Northwestern
8 Wisconsin (-23.5)

1 Clemson (-25.5)
North Carolina

Ole Miss
2 Alabama (-34.5)

18 Virginia
10 Notre Dame (-10.5)

Miss State
7 Auburn -(10.5)

5 Ohio State (-16.5)
Nebraska

Navy
Memphis (-11.5)

Wake Forest (-6.5)
Boston College

C. Carolina
Appalachian State (-15.5)

SMU (-7.5)
USF

24 Kansas State
Oklahoma State (-3.5)

I'm taking Virginia over Notre Dame out of this list.

I think the spread is high for Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma and I don't think the Sooners come close to covering that.

I also like Kansas State over Oklahoma State even though that's not really an upset?

If Wake Forest, SMU, Appalachian State and Memphis win this week, will they crack the top 25?
09-23-2019 08:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Midwestan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bradley
RE: Week 5 upsets?
Good list you've compiled here. I don't know that Virginia will beat Notre Dame outright, but I think the Cavaliers can cover the spread. Virginia and California seem like similar teams...not particularly impressive, but they keep on winning. That said, it wouldn't shock me to see ASU knock off the Golden Bears in Berkeley. North Carolina may be in a surly mood having dropped 2 straight games to in-state rivals, but the talent just isn't there for the Tar Heels to make Clemson put out much of a sweat. The Navy-Memphis game looks sneaky good. I think the Tigers can crack the Top 25 with a win, and especially if they cover the spread. Ohio State may finally get tested, but it depends on which Nebraska team shows up. Is the game in Lincoln at night? Buckeyes seem to be more prone to getting beat in night road games against West Division teams. I think Texas Tech is still a 'defense optional' kind of team, so look for Oklahoma to exploit that. A K-State win in Stillwater might just have people thinking the Wildcats can make the Big 12 more than a 2-team race; depends on how much starch Texas took out of the Cowboys. SMU should not get tested by South Florida, but I didn't think the Ponies would win in Ft. Worth either. In the past, SMU have gotten off to good starts against TCU, only to see the Horned Frogs assert themselves and pull out a win. That didn't happen last weekend. Just to shake things up, it would be great to see Maryland upset Penn State, but if the Terrapins couldn't handle Temple on the road, I can't see them winning in Happy Valley.
09-23-2019 08:31 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Navy @ Memphis is being billed as a matchup of unbeaten teams, and that's technically true. But Navy has only beaten Holy Cross and East Carolina. If they were to beat the Tigers on the road that would be a huge upset, IMO.
09-23-2019 09:16 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

(09-23-2019 08:31 AM)Midwestan Wrote:  Good list you've compiled here. I don't know that Virginia will beat Notre Dame outright, but I think the Cavaliers can cover the spread. Virginia and California seem like similar teams...not particularly impressive, but they keep on winning. That said, it wouldn't shock me to see ASU knock off the Golden Bears in Berkeley. North Carolina may be in a surly mood having dropped 2 straight games to in-state rivals, but the talent just isn't there for the Tar Heels to make Clemson put out much of a sweat. The Navy-Memphis game looks sneaky good. I think the Tigers can crack the Top 25 with a win, and especially if they cover the spread. Ohio State may finally get tested, but it depends on which Nebraska team shows up. Is the game in Lincoln at night? Buckeyes seem to be more prone to getting beat in night road games against West Division teams. I think Texas Tech is still a 'defense optional' kind of team, so look for Oklahoma to exploit that. A K-State win in Stillwater might just have people thinking the Wildcats can make the Big 12 more than a 2-team race; depends on how much starch Texas took out of the Cowboys. SMU should not get tested by South Florida, but I didn't think the Ponies would win in Ft. Worth either. In the past, SMU have gotten off to good starts against TCU, only to see the Horned Frogs assert themselves and pull out a win. That didn't happen last weekend. Just to shake things up, it would be great to see Maryland upset Penn State, but if the Terrapins couldn't handle Temple on the road, I can't see them winning in Happy Valley.
All good points, Midwestan.

I'm torn on Ohio State vs. Nebraska. Like you said, Ohio State and games vs. Western teams at night has been a disaster. Lincoln will be insane and Ohio State better bring their A-game.

Auburn should be on alert too. I have Auburn as my #1 team in the country right now. Based solely on their body of work in 2019 and no other factors they are clearly #1 RIGHT NOW in my eyes. I think they will be fine Saturday.

Week 5 is historically a big upset week...right?
09-23-2019 09:25 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

(09-23-2019 09:16 AM)ken d Wrote:  Navy @ Memphis is being billed as a matchup of unbeaten teams, and that's technically true. But Navy has only beaten Holy Cross and East Carolina. If they were to beat the Tigers on the road that would be a huge upset, IMO.
Yes, with it being the matchup of undefeated teams I had to include this game. Plus, they deserve to be talked about.
09-23-2019 09:26 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
The only one I see as strong possibilities is UVA > Notre Dame, as UVA is a ranked team, and ND is coming off the emotional and physical draining of the UGA game.

Also, Navy always has a chance due to their wishbone attack, but I don't really see it this time.

Finally, FWIW, I don't consider spreads of less than 7 points large enough to really qualify as "upsets" worth mentioning.

Clemson, Ohio State, and Alabama will not only not be upset, they will cover their very large spreads.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2019 09:55 AM by quo vadis.)
09-23-2019 09:47 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
If Notre Dame/Virginia had been at Virginia I think I'd have taken UVA. Game Day almost certainly would have been there.
09-23-2019 09:49 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

(09-23-2019 09:47 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  The only one I see as strong possibilities is UVA > Notre Dame, as UVA is a ranked team, and ND is coming off the emotional and physical draining of the UGA game.

Also, Navy always has a chance due to their wishbone attack, but I don't really see it this time.

Finally, FWIW, I don't consider spreads of less than 7 points large enough to really qualify as "upsets" worth mentioning.

Clemson, Ohio State, and Alabama will not only not be upset, they will cover their very large spreads.
Agree with your -7 spread not being an upset. I listed these due to one of the teams in the game being undefeated. That will influence the polls and in all likelihood affect the season in some form or another, but I get your point.
09-23-2019 10:33 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

(09-23-2019 09:49 AM)stever20 Wrote:  If Notre Dame/Virginia had been at Virginia I think I'd have taken UVA. Game Day almost certainly would have been there.
Notre Dame definitely has more talent, like everyone else, expecting a letdown after the Georgia game.

I honestly think this is the biggest must win game of the day. Virginia and the ACC needs this game very badly.

Notre Dame has a nice team and I hope the coaches can get their heads right after last Saturday.
09-23-2019 11:12 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(09-23-2019 11:12 AM)cubucks Wrote:  
(09-23-2019 09:49 AM)stever20 Wrote:  If Notre Dame/Virginia had been at Virginia I think I'd have taken UVA. Game Day almost certainly would have been there.
Notre Dame definitely has more talent, like everyone else, expecting a letdown after the Georgia game.

I honestly think this is the biggest must win game of the day. Virginia and the ACC needs this game very badly.

Notre Dame has a nice team and I hope the coaches can get their heads right after last Saturday.

It's funny- I could make the argument that the ACC needs Notre Dame to win this game. a ND loss, and it's going to be really hard for Notre Dame to be able to finish ahead of even the 3rd SEC team for the Orange Bowl.
09-23-2019 11:17 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I’m not sold on Cal Being a legit top 25 team. The Sun Devils will knock them off
09-23-2019 11:20 AM
Advertisement

Midwestan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bradley
(09-23-2019 11:12 AM)cubucks Wrote:  

If the Irish had a better quarterback, I think they might have been able to pull out a win in Athens and pay back the Bulldogs for their win in South Bend last year. As for Virginia, I just don't know if they have the horses to win at Notre Dame. In Charlottesville? Maybe. For as tough a game as the Irish had against the Bulldogs, the Wahoos struggled for the better part of 3 quarters against Old Dominion. I watched some of that game, and from what I saw, I wasn't all that impressed with UVa.
09-23-2019 11:23 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

(09-23-2019 11:20 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’m not sold on Cal Being a legit top 25 team. The Sun Devils will knock them off

They quite possibly may lose but their body of work so far absolutely deserves to be top 25.

08-31 UC Davis 2-2 (0-0) 124 27-13 W
09-07 at Washington 3-1 (0-1) 12 20-19 W
09-14 North Texas 2-2 (1-0) 63 23-17 W
09-21 at Mississippi 2-2 (1-0) 64 28-20 W
09-23-2019 12:52 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
That UMD-PSU line...how does that PSU defense stop that UMD offense enough that the PSU offense, which needs a lot of momentum hit its stride, outlast UMD?

Penn State’s gonna get punched in the mouth this season a bit. Let UMD start it up.
09-23-2019 12:59 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(09-23-2019 08:10 AM)cubucks Wrote:  Will there be chaos in week 5 and who is likely to be upset?

12 Penn State (-6.5)
Maryland

Arizona State
15 Cal (-4.5)

Texas Tech
6 Oklahoma (-24.5)

Northwestern
8 Wisconsin (-23.5)

1 Clemson (-25.5)
North Carolina

Ole Miss
2 Alabama (-34.5)

18 Virginia
10 Notre Dame (-10.5)

Miss State
7 Auburn -(10.5)

5 Ohio State (-16.5)
Nebraska

Navy
Memphis (-11.5)

Wake Forest (-6.5)
Boston College

C. Carolina

SMU (-7.5)
USF

24 Kansas State
Oklahoma State (-3.5)

I think the spread is high for Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma and I don't think the Sooners come close to covering that.

I also like Kansas State over Oklahoma State even though that's not really an upset?

If Wake Forest, SMU, Appalachian State and Memphis win this week, will they crack the top 25?
We could beat BYE but I am not optimistic....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
09-23-2019 01:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cubucks Offline
All American

(09-23-2019 01:52 PM)panama Wrote:  
(09-23-2019 08:10 AM)cubucks Wrote:  Will there be chaos in week 5 and who is likely to be upset?

12 Penn State (-6.5)
Maryland

Arizona State
15 Cal (-4.5)

Texas Tech
6 Oklahoma (-24.5)

Northwestern
8 Wisconsin (-23.5)

1 Clemson (-25.5)
North Carolina

Ole Miss
2 Alabama (-34.5)

18 Virginia
10 Notre Dame (-10.5)

Miss State
7 Auburn -(10.5)

5 Ohio State (-16.5)
Nebraska

Navy
Memphis (-11.5)

Wake Forest (-6.5)
Boston College

C. Carolina

SMU (-7.5)
USF

24 Kansas State
Oklahoma State (-3.5)

What happened from Tennessee to Texas State? Injuries?
09-23-2019 02:08 PM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(09-23-2019 02:08 PM)cubucks Wrote:  
(09-23-2019 01:52 PM)panama Wrote:  

12 Penn State (-6.5)
Maryland

Arizona State
15 Cal (-4.5)

Texas Tech
6 Oklahoma (-24.5)

Northwestern
8 Wisconsin (-23.5)

1 Clemson (-25.5)
North Carolina

Ole Miss
2 Alabama (-34.5)

18 Virginia
10 Notre Dame (-10.5)

Miss State
7 Auburn -(10.5)

5 Ohio State (-16.5)
Nebraska

Navy
Memphis (-11.5)

Wake Forest (-6.5)
Boston College

C. Carolina

SMU (-7.5)
USF

24 Kansas State
Oklahoma State (-3.5)

What happened from Tennessee to Texas State? Injuries?
Most would say worst DC possible is great when given 9 months to prepare for a team, not so good when given a week...

09-23-2019 06:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Maryland to win. I expect Maryland to upset one of tOSU, PSU, or Mich this year with Josh Jackson at QB.

12 Penn State (-6.5)
Maryland

Cal's due for a loss. 15 is ridiculously high for that school.

Arizona State
15 Cal (-4.5)

BC showed some heart in beating Rutgers. Maybe they beat WF at home.

Wake Forest (-6.5)
Boston College
09-23-2019 07:05 PM
TampaTom Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
K-State is the easy pick on this one.

I got Mississippi State over Auburn.
09-23-2019 07:42 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

(09-23-2019 07:05 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Maryland to win. I expect Maryland to upset one of tOSU, PSU, or Mich this year with Josh Jackson at QB.

12 Penn State (-6.5)
Maryland

Cal's due for a loss. 15 is ridiculously high for that school.

Arizona State
15 Cal (-4.5)

BC showed some heart in beating Rutgers. Maybe they beat WF at home.

Wake Forest (-6.5)
Boston College
Regardless of that Temple game, Maryland can still be dangerous. I see your points on them.
09-23-2019 07:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.