https://www.toledoblade.com/local/educat...0190916153
09-22-2019 06:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: UT Hopes To Sell Scott Park Campus
Pro-med will buy it for $1 then sell it to Metroparks for 3 million who will then lease it to TPS for $300000/yr and no one will bat an eye.
09-22-2019 07:03 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

UT Hopes To Sell Scott Park Campus
(09-22-2019 07:03 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Pro-med will buy it for $1 then sell it to Metroparks for 3 million who will then lease it to TPS for $300000/yr and no one will bat an eye.

Oh my gosh this is so close to reality in Toledo it’s scary. Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-22-2019 09:19 PM
rocket 51 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Hoping that some entity other than Pro-M is involved. Be interesting to know what the true market for that 45+ year old property truly is?
09-22-2019 09:46 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

Get rid of the leases for the recreation fields and you could have an actual marketable piece of property. If UT can get the city to pull plug on those, maybe by investing dollars in other fields improvements there could be actual private interest in the land. Now it won’t be game changing but it could be more than what a government entity would pay

09-22-2019 09:47 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
Rumors have been the County or the PD/FD over the past few years. County was looking at it as a campus for all of their family/civil services and PD/FD was looking at it as a full-service training ground and instructional area. They both want it as a gift, because they know (rightfully) that the University will never get anywhere close to market value on the property.

TPS will not be involved, as Driscoll has been all but confirmed to be the landing ground for TECHS earlier this year. The baseball and softball will end up at Carter Field (whether that's "right" or not is a question for a different thread).

I love how late the Blade is on this...quite literally A YEAR.
09-23-2019 07:29 AM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

Here is another potential buyer

Port Authority

Take out Parkside Blvd and the site has rail access. Could be a light industrial opportunity

Track was removed from UT to just across Nebraska but remains to the east of the Scott Park campus.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2019 01:43 PM by indianasniff.)
09-23-2019 01:38 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(09-22-2019 09:46 PM)rocket 51 Wrote:  Hoping that some entity other than Pro-M is involved. Be interesting to know what the true market for that 45+ year old property truly is?

Who cares if Pro-M is involved? If someone including Pro-M wants to buy and has alternative plan for its use that would certainly be improvement of current use and condition or that of a vacant property and building-which Toledo certainly has too many of already.
09-23-2019 01:42 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(09-23-2019 07:29 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Rumors have been the County or the PD/FD over the past few years. County was looking at it as a campus for all of their family/civil services and PD/FD was looking at it as a full-service training ground and instructional area. They both want it as a gift, because they know (rightfully) that the University will never get anywhere close to market value on the property.

TPS will not be involved, as Driscoll has been all but confirmed to be the landing ground for TECHS earlier this year. The baseball and softball will end up at Carter Field (whether that's "right" or not is a question for a different thread).

I love how late the Blade is on this...quite literally A YEAR.

Their timing is linked to recent approval by UT Board to seek state approval to sell the property (UT Board meeting was last Monday) and appears pending action by TPS Board to move TECHS. Rumors and discussion are one thing, but a news story on actual public decision is another.
09-23-2019 01:45 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-23-2019 01:42 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  
(09-22-2019 09:46 PM)rocket 51 Wrote:  Hoping that some entity other than Pro-M is involved. Be interesting to know what the true market for that 45+ year old property truly is?

Who cares if Pro-M is involved?

Because they're non-profit. That removes the land from the economy. That's the argument I've heard anyhow, against all their land buys. I've no expertise to know the effects of a non-profit vs. a for profit developing land. I'd think what is going on at the old Jeep is what would most help that neighborhood. Jobs.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2019 03:17 PM by eastisbest.)
09-23-2019 03:15 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-23-2019 01:38 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Here is another potential buyer

Port Authority

Take out Parkside Blvd and the site has rail access. Could be a light industrial opportunity

Track was removed from UT to just across Nebraska but remains to the east of the Scott Park campus.

The old Champion Spark Plug property is just east of Scott Park on Nebraska and has been sitting there for decades and decades. This isn't Atlanta. All of the new construction is on I-75 in Perrysburg and Rossford where it's minutes to the expressways. Scott Park is land-locked, rail spur or not. The old Southwyck Mall property sits there with no buyers even though it's a few minutes from the Ohio Turnpike (no shippers want to pay tolls).
09-23-2019 04:04 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

It's best use would be as a research to product park for the University. Or a new campus cop building. 03-wink
09-23-2019 04:12 PM
UTerry Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Build the over do hockey arena there.....

And build married and graduate housing there.

Also they could build single or visiting professor apartment there....

"A small village" style community.

and still be university owned property

because once you get rid of it you will never get it back when you need or want it...….
09-23-2019 04:14 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-23-2019 04:12 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  It's best use would be as a research to product park for the University. Or a new campus cop building. 03-wink

A new research building is already planned for the engineering campus. A campus police/state highway patrol building is in the planning process for Dorr Street near Secor.
09-23-2019 06:41 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-23-2019 06:41 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(09-23-2019 04:12 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  It's best use would be as a research to product park for the University. Or a new campus cop building. 03-wink

A new research building is already planned for the engineering campus. A campus police/state highway patrol building is in the planning process for Dorr Street near Secor.

Hence the 03-wink Scott park would be a very nice place for it. Dorr and Secor? A cop palace wouldn't be my first choice for that corridoor but those discussions have long been hashed on other thread.

A research building isn't really revenue competitive. Needed? Maybe but for that function. It isn't going to incorporate private industry is it?
09-23-2019 07:00 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(09-23-2019 07:00 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(09-23-2019 06:41 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

Hence the 03-wink Scott park would be a very nice place for it. Dorr and Secor? A cop palace wouldn't be my first choice for that corridoor but those discussions have long been hashed on other thread.

A research building isn't really revenue competitive. Needed? Maybe but for that function. It isn't going to incorporate private industry is it?

Interdisciplinary Research Center planned for the space south of Palmer Hall. Not sure they want to have that at Scott Park instead, proximity makes sense there, for a multitude of reasons.
09-23-2019 09:32 PM
Advertisement

PaulJ Offline
1st String

(09-23-2019 03:15 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(09-23-2019 01:42 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  

Who cares if Pro-M is involved?

Because they're non-profit. That removes the land from the economy. That's the argument I've heard anyhow, against all their land buys. I've no expertise to know the effects of a non-profit vs. a for profit developing land. I'd think what is going on at the old Jeep is what would most help that neighborhood. Jobs.

Yep and would same if purchased by City of Toledo, Lucas County, TPD/TFD or Port Authority
09-24-2019 10:02 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(09-23-2019 04:14 PM)UTerry Wrote:  Build the over do hockey arena there.....

because once you get rid of it you will never get it back when you need or want it...….

Not sure of the real need or demand for hockey arena, but all the other ideas are properties that could be developed on or near main campus. Debating other UT uses for Scott Park is a fruitless exercise since UT BOT already approved Campus Master Plans a few years ago that included UT pulling out of Scott Park in order to reduce total building sq feet and consolidate on main campus and UTMC.
09-24-2019 10:06 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(09-24-2019 10:06 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  

Not sure of the real need or demand for hockey arena, but all the other ideas are properties that could be developed on or near main campus. Debating other UT uses for Scott Park is a fruitless exercise since UT BOT already approved Campus Master Plans a few years ago that included UT pulling out of Scott Park in order to reduce total building sq feet and consolidate on main campus and UTMC.

Debating whether CBs should turn to lookfor ball or not is a fruitless exercise as well but it’s fun.
09-24-2019 10:48 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(09-24-2019 10:48 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(09-24-2019 10:06 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  

Debating whether CBs should turn to lookfor ball or not is a fruitless exercise as well but it’s fun.

That seems more of a critique from a fan as to how team/players are performing, but point taken....
09-24-2019 02:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.