WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I predicted a loss, I will eat a bit of the crow...but not the whole bird!
Waysidewest2 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WMU
I predicted a loss, I will eat a bit of the crow...but not the whole bird!
I feel it is only right to munch on some crow.

I was wrong. I predicted we would lose to GSU. We ended up slaughtering them.

Okay, ate my crow, I was wrong, but.....

Beating up on GSU does not remove the sting of getting whipped by Michigan State. It also does not enhance our perception across college football. We are still turds by most standards. We missed the chance to de-turd and gain some in-state respect. Making the matter worse, State got beat by a lackluster ASU at home and scored 3 damn points. Makes us look worse. Remember, perception is everything. I know, you sit and tell yourself that you dont care what others think, but its not true. We all care, because we are human. Maybe next year....

All that said, don't get to high on the horse about our win either. GSU has the second worst defense in the country. If we couldn't move the ball against them, not sure who we would move the ball against. But we did, so no cause for alarm there. However, also doesn't mean Smilin' Tim's offense is great. It just means it can beat up on the #129 defense.

Second caveat, while the defense looked better, we went up against a beat up QB and offense, which is reliant on the QB being mobile. Word has it the QB performed at about half speed. Maybe that's true, maybe not. Maybe over a week we became dominant on D! Now that would be a great surprise!

Looking forward, two key games in the future to watch....

Syracuse - If we can put up a quality fight, and I think we can, it is reasonable enough to think that this team can contend for a MAC Championship. I actually think we can win the game outright. Syracuse defense is ranked near the bottom of FBS too coming in at #123. That said, the level of competition Syracuse has seen so far has been far superior to what GSU has played. GSU beat a terrible Tennessee team and Furman. Tennessee may only have 1 or 2 wins this year in total. A Syracuse win helps the perception score, not like an MSU win would have, but it measures a blip.

Eastern Michigan - I actually think this game poses quite a threat. EMU has been building a solid squad for the last few years and this might be a tough team to beat. We got away with a win last year at home, this year at their place?

A few more to gnaw on.....

Toledo - Always tough and the team to beat in the MAC West year in and year out. The game is at Toledo, which doesn't help. They waxed us last year and put up 50+ points at our place. Their defense ranks in the middle (70) of college football early in the season. They play Colorado State and BYU over the next two weeks...we will find out how tough they will be based on these games.

*Central Michigan - The only thing that makes this game important is the rivalry aspect. Central is horrible. Yes, they just beat Akron, who may be the worst team in the MAC. They get us after a trip to Miami to play the hurricanes. It is at our place and we should roll them. Never know though, we have crapped in this bed before.

Northern Illinois - Not sure on them. They got crushed by Nebraska, but kept it close against a very good Utah team. They sort of struggled to put away Illinois State.
One thing I noticed is NIU might get the worst fan support of any "deserving" MAC team, yet they have been to the MAC Championship game all but two years since 2010? They almost never get a "reported" attendance figure above 13,000 at home games. That's reported, not actual butts in seats.

If we can get 3 of the above 5 we are bowling again. 2 wins out of the rest should be doable.

If we get crushed by Syracuse, I will be back next week with a negative attitude and a sky is falling mentality sprinkled in for good measure.
09-16-2019 03:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

schwebbs84 Offline
1st String

RE: I predicted a loss, I will eat a bit of the crow...but not the whole bird!
Happy to eat a little crow, as well. I'm in the same boat on a lot of these points. We will know more about the team after playing Syracuse.
09-16-2019 03:52 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Syracuse should have better players and more of them than we do.

We're playing them there.

So we're rightfully underdogs.

Does that mean we can't win?

No, upsets happen every week.

But even if we lose - we still have the eight-game MAC schedule ahead of us, which is more important anyway.

And if we win in the Carrier Dome - won't help us over next two months either.

NIU beat #21 Alabama and #15 Maryland in 2003 and didn't even win MAC-West, for ex.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2019 04:08 PM by MajorHoople.)
09-16-2019 03:53 PM
Rasser Offline
Banned

I Root For: World peas
Nope, but backhanded attempts aside guys not named Hoople, the improvement is evident and the talent is there. This is a talented, athletic and competitive team.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2019 04:21 PM by Rasser.)
09-16-2019 04:21 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2019 03:53 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Syracuse should have better players and more of them than we do.

But even if we lose - we still have the eight-game MAC schedule ahead of us, which is more important anyway.

NIU beat #21 Alabama and #15 Maryland in 2003 and didn't even win MAC-West, for ex.

What part of Syracuse's actual performance so far (not the idea that they "should have" better players) brings on this litany of pre-excuses?

We are an underdog in Vegas, who is in the business of predicting where bettors will put money, not predicting games. Computers seem to see this as a tight game and some like ESPN FPI favor WMU slightly.

Posters like you and GullLake like to point out that non-conference is less important. I couldn't agree less. MAC play is obviously important too, but non-conference wins can be program builders. It's OK to expect to compete in P5 games. We don't have to win, but getting blown off the field again would, IMO, not be acceptable.
09-16-2019 04:21 PM
Advertisement

Rasser Offline
Banned

(09-16-2019 04:21 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  
(09-16-2019 03:53 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Syracuse should have better players and more of them than we do.

What part of Syracuse's actual performance so far (not the idea that they "should have" better players) brings on this litany of pre-excuses?

We are an underdog in Vegas, who is in the business of predicting where bettors will put money, not predicting games. Computers seem to see this as a tight game and some like ESPN FPI favor WMU slightly.

Posters like you and GullLake like to point out that non-conference is less important. I couldn't agree less. MAC play is obviously important too, but non-conference wins can be program builders. It's OK to expect to compete in P5 games. We don't have to win, but getting blown off the field again would, IMO, not be acceptable.

Doubt very much they “get blown off the field” metro one. As much as you’d like it to happen so you could cry “fire Lester”
09-16-2019 04:23 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I get the frustration towards the Michigan St game, and I HATE losing to them, but the stars have to align perfectly to get that kind of win.

A close game that we lose doesn't gain anything. I run into Michigan St fans who say 'yah, you guys always play us tough' and Michigan St fans who say 'the MAC sucks' even after a game like the 2015 one in Kalamazoo. A win would've done little in the perception regard, especially if Michigan St ended up having a crappy year or didn't win the MAC. Most fans of P5 teams still hate on Boise St and Central Florida because 'they play a weak schedule.'
09-16-2019 04:25 PM
Rasser Offline
Banned

Moot point, I think we go in there and run them outta the house!

Hahaha. If we lose this post alone will be quoted until the kickoff of CMU by the Fleckdashians while they scream FIRE LESTER!!
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2019 04:30 PM by Rasser.)
09-16-2019 04:28 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2019 04:23 PM)Rasser Wrote:  

Doubt very much they “get blown off the field” metro one. As much as you’d like it to happen so you could cry “fire Lester”

On the contrary I would love nothing more than to put them even further in their place. Babers comes off as arrogant and his team took on that persona at Waldo last year. Dungey should've been booted for his BS and I didn't see any coaches even bother to talk to him about it.

Cuse already got a beatdown from a marginal Maryland team and losing to us would be a nail in the coffin proving last year was a fluke in a down ACC.

i also doubt we get blown off the field. I just wish one of you old dudes could make a genuine post with your thoughts on a game instead of hedging everything to protect your precious alum coach.
09-16-2019 04:31 PM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Who said anything about getting "blown off the field"?

Or that we were going to lose? Just road dogs.

Or that the game wasn't important (just that MAC championship was MORE important than one game against a mid-level P5)?
09-16-2019 04:32 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2019 04:32 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Who said anything about getting "blown off the field"?

Or that we were going to lose? Just road dogs.

Or that the game wasn't important (just that MAC championship was MORE important than one game against a mid-level P5)?

Come on dude, your post is transparently "aw shucks we can't expect to beat P5 teams, but it doesn't matter anyway".

I haven't seen an actual observation from you since Lester was hired. You have a tremendous grasp of the obvious, sure, but that seems to be about it these days.

How about some thoughts on Syracuse? Why do you think we're deserved underdogs, besides the lazy "they're P5 and we're not"?
09-16-2019 04:36 PM
Rasser Offline
Banned

(09-16-2019 04:31 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  
(09-16-2019 04:23 PM)Rasser Wrote:  

On the contrary I would love nothing more than to put them even further in their place. Babers comes off as arrogant and his team took on that persona at Waldo last year. Dungey should've been booted for his BS and I didn't see any coaches even bother to talk to him about it.

Cuse already got a beatdown from a marginal Maryland team and losing to us would be a nail in the coffin proving last year was a fluke in a down ACC.

i also doubt we get blown off the field. I just wish one of you old dudes could make a genuine post with your thoughts on a game instead of hedging everything to protect your precious alum coach.

I wish one of you metro’s would quit sounding like you want Lester fired solely so your boy comes back too. We both can hope.
09-16-2019 04:50 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Well Wrong-Way I wouldn't dare to try to challenge your nowledge (sic intentional) of CFB and whether we should be favorites, dogs, win, or lose.

They ARE P5, and we're not. They beat us last year in Waldo. We're playing them in a Dome which we haven't done since Cotton Bowl.

Those are facts.

I'm sure you will be back here Saturday night should we lose with all the reasons we did-should've won, and if we win as Rasser said more back-handed compliments to Lester and staff.
09-16-2019 04:51 PM
Advertisement

Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I get the whole 'losing to the P5 doesn't matter because it's what you in-conference', but that's only true against mid-to-top level P5 teams. The MAC Champion usually beats the low-to-mid level P5 team on their schedule. If we can't at minimum make it a game vs Syracuse, we're probably not winning the MAC this year.

Some of it's because the G5 school has more talent then that P5 school. But some of it's because the G5 school is coached really well, which carries over to MAC play.

We need to play with a defense that looks like we brought a defense, coaching that knows to make risky decisions and when not to make them as well as the Xs and Os, and an offense that can find the holes.

I'm usually'an Ls an L no matter how ugly it is' kind of guy, but we've had too many ugly Ls lately and a close L will show me we're on the right track. A W is DEFINITELY possible and we most likely become the team to beat in the West.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2019 07:20 PM by Bronco'14.)
09-16-2019 07:19 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
The whole losing to the P5 doesn't matter is the same as losing to another G5 doesn't matter (or FCS), as long as they're of a different conference.

It does matter as far as getting bowl-eligibility.
It does matter when you're tied for the bottom for bowl eligibility, to see who-gets-in-who-doesn't.

And when you're playing a P5 or a G5 who's not doing so hot but is a small step above you with more potential -- yeah, it does matter how you play them. It reflects on the season, how ya roll.

But yes, games against conference opponents, namely MAC West opponents, mean more. Sure.

As we can see (MSU, WMU), a team can operate differently in one game VS the next. If Syracuse brings their A game -- we'll need to bring ours + some luck to win out.

Thankfully, they're not on a mere rebound from something. They got CRUSHED by Maryland, then Whipped by Clemson despite 2 years in a row prior being rivals of sorts. If we can punch them in the mouth early, we could 'remind' them that they're a losing team. Babers I think will prepare this team about as good as they can at this point.

Essentially, I want to see us play a Good Solid game, notably on D. That's what I want, W or L.
09-16-2019 07:29 PM
Fthechips Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Mich
(09-16-2019 07:29 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  The whole losing to the P5 doesn't matter is the same as losing to another G5 doesn't matter (or FCS), as long as they're of a different conference.

It does matter when you're tied for the bottom for bowl eligibility, to see who-gets-in-who-doesn't.

And when you're playing a P5 or a G5 who's not doing so hot but is a small step above you with more potential -- yeah, it does matter how you play them. It reflects on the season, how ya roll.

But yes, games against conference opponents, namely MAC West opponents, mean more. Sure.

As we can see (MSU, WMU), a team can operate differently in one game VS the next. If Syracuse brings their A game -- we'll need to bring ours + some luck to win out.

Thankfully, they're not on a mere rebound from something. They got CRUSHED by Maryland, then Whipped by Clemson despite 2 years in a row prior being rivals of sorts. If we can punch them in the mouth early, we could 'remind' them that they're a losing team. Babers I think will prepare this team about as good as they can at this point.

Essentially, I want to see us play a Good Solid game, notably on D. That's what I want, W or L.

I am very, very scared that our defense will be exposed yet again. I think Georgia St is just a terrible, terrible team. I would not be surprised to see us give up 40+ again.
09-16-2019 08:33 PM
Rasser Offline
Banned

(09-16-2019 08:33 PM)Fthechips Wrote:  
(09-16-2019 07:29 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  The whole losing to the P5 doesn't matter is the same as losing to another G5 doesn't matter (or FCS), as long as they're of a different conference.

I am very, very scared that our defense will be exposed yet again. I think Georgia St is just a terrible, terrible team. I would not be surprised to see us give up 40+ again.

We will be fine.
09-16-2019 09:13 PM
Bronc33 Offline
1st String

You should eat the whole bird.

Predicting a loss is one thing, having the team you predicted to lose win by 47 is another.

I get that there is more to prove this season, but that was a dominant performance against a team that believed they would win.
09-17-2019 10:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.