Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Monday Musings
Bookmark and Share
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU
Monday Musings
Another Big Ten Pelt and a Million Dollars to boot! What a great week to be an Eastern Eagle!!
Home opener against an FCS watch out for the let down early but I think we pull ahead late.
Looks like awesome weather even a little hot for Saturday.
Keep it up Creighton and maybe he ends up at???
MAC West title is still the goal and here's to hoping we have a good week.
09-16-2019 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

RE: Monday Musings
Dear Friends,
Some on this board have been suggesting that Coach Creighton may be picked up by a bigger school. Anything is possible, but I think he would like to stick around Ypsilanti and continue to build the program.
If, he were to leave, I would also fear him taking Neathery and a few others with him. That would mean a new head coach would probably have to bring in all new assistants. Which happens most of the time.
09-16-2019 09:22 AM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
When Alex took his official visit to EMU while being recruited, I had the chance to have some pretty straight-forward conversations with Coach Creighton. He was one of the major reasons Alex was attracted to EMU. Knowing that, and knowing CC had already had some success and would likely be getting looks from other programs, I asked him, point-blank, what his personal commitment to the program was. I knew he had recently signed a new contract with EMU. He referenced that and said he had every intention of honoring that contract.

What really impressed me was that the next day we had a chance to have some more one-on-one time. He told me that no parent had ever asked him that specific question before and that it really stuck with him. He said he went home that night and told his wife about it, and that they had a conversation on that topic. CC said they were happy at EMU and he felt he had a chance to really do something special in Ypsilanti. That is when he won me over.

Now that doesn't say that if the right opportunity were to come along he wouldn't take it. But it did tell me he sees EMU as more than just a stepping stone to his next opportunity. And that if he were to make a decision to leave, he's the type of person who would have given thorough consideration to that choice, and not just jump at it.

For Alex's sake, I'm hoping this good man and fine coach is here for at least four more years!
09-16-2019 09:42 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(09-16-2019 09:42 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  When Alex took his official visit to EMU while being recruited, I had the chance to have some pretty straight-forward conversations with Coach Creighton. He was one of the major reasons Alex was attracted to EMU. Knowing that, and knowing CC had already had some success and would likely be getting looks from other programs, I asked him, point-blank, what his personal commitment to the program was. I knew he had recently signed a new contract with EMU. He referenced that and said he had every intention of honoring that contract.

What really impressed me was that the next day we had a chance to have some more one-on-one time. He told me that no parent had ever asked him that specific question before and that it really stuck with him. He said he went home that night and told his wife about it, and that they had a conversation on that topic. CC said they were happy at EMU and he felt he had a chance to really do something special in Ypsilanti. That is when he won me over.

Now that doesn't say that if the right opportunity were to come along he wouldn't take it. But it did tell me he sees EMU as more than just a stepping stone to his next opportunity. And that if he were to make a decision to leave, he's the type of person who would have given thorough consideration to that choice, and not just jump at it.

For Alex's sake, I'm hoping this good man and fine coach is here for at least four more years!

Excellent info and thank you.

C.C.'s history suggest that he is not an ambitious job hopper...

NOW, it is up to EMU fandom to support the program as well as possible and give him the resources to keep things moving in the right direction.

I liked T.J. (Lang's) comments on the weight room at the SAPC. He called it as good as he has seen (including NFL).

I'm waiting for a recruiting bump to happen.
09-16-2019 10:22 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
should CC take another job (i wouldnt begrudge him that should some school offer him generational money) i would LOVE to see them bring back Kalen DeBoer. He had our offense humming when he was here AND has head coaching experience at low levels.

Fun Fact: Illinois is one of 10 teams EMU has a winning record against.
Source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch...-head.html
09-16-2019 10:55 AM
KPJ Offline
1st String

Is there another MAC HC with 3 B1G wins on their resume? Current or ever?
09-16-2019 10:57 AM
Advertisement

mpleafan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EMU, U of M
Chris Vannini does a weekly top 130 on TheAthletic and EMU is now the top MAC team at 78! (Although WMU is 79, Ohio 81 and Toledo 82)

His words: "Eastern Michigan becomes the top-ranked team in the MAC after a win at Illinois, but Western Michigan (blowout of Georgia State), Ohio (close loss at Marshall) and Toledo are not far behind."
09-16-2019 11:34 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(09-16-2019 11:34 AM)mpleafan Wrote:  Chris Vannini does a weekly top 130 on TheAthletic and EMU is now the top MAC team at 78! (Although WMU is 79, Ohio 81 and Toledo 82)

His words: "Eastern Michigan becomes the top-ranked team in the MAC after a win at Illinois, but Western Michigan (blowout of Georgia State), Ohio (close loss at Marshall) and Toledo are not far behind."

If that be true, and say EMU doesn't lose another game before 10/19, then ESPN and the MAC should promote the EMU/WMU game.

I have no idea if they can get the game moved up to one of the TV networks (e.g., ESPN2/U).

Would be nice to get national exposure for the SAPC.
09-16-2019 02:05 PM
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

I Root For: emu
(09-16-2019 10:55 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  should CC take another job (i wouldnt begrudge him that should some school offer him generational money) i would LOVE to see them bring back Kalen DeBoer. He had our offense humming when he was here AND has head coaching experience at low levels.

DeBoer is the OC at Indiana. He makes around $800,000.
09-16-2019 02:22 PM
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

(09-16-2019 10:57 AM)KPJ Wrote:  Is there another MAC HC with 3 B1G wins on their resume? Current or ever?

Nine MAC programs have three or more wins vs the Big 10.

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/big10/mac.shtml

Not sure about coaches.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2019 02:29 PM by ljmhurons.)
09-16-2019 02:28 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-16-2019 02:22 PM)ljmhurons Wrote:  
(09-16-2019 10:55 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  should CC take another job (i wouldnt begrudge him that should some school offer him generational money) i would LOVE to see them bring back Kalen DeBoer. He had our offense humming when he was here AND has head coaching experience at low levels.

Which is a reason I raise Keen as a possibility if CC leaves.
09-16-2019 03:38 PM
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(09-16-2019 02:28 PM)ljmhurons Wrote:  
(09-16-2019 10:57 AM)KPJ Wrote:  Is there another MAC HC with 3 B1G wins on their resume? Current or ever?

Not sure about coaches.

Actually I appreciate the post info, it is indeed informative. Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, however, I think the motive for posting this is a thinly veiled effort to dampen the enthusiasm over our recent victory and win streak over the Big Ten. I appreciate history for sure but I am living in 2019 now and two of the nine programs you mention are CMU and Bowling Green with 6 and 8 wins respectively and both programs are likely to battle each other in 2019 for the MAC West basement. The Big Ten giant slayer Miami with 12 wins, is not expected to be very good this year as well, in fact they just got thumped by Iowa.

If we want to really delve into history, there have been two Midwestern baseball teams to reach the NCAA Baseball World Series in the past 53 years. One was U-M last year that everyone went gaga over. The other was Oak's team in 1976. Does that mean our baseball program is currently more successful than other MAC programs? I think not.
09-16-2019 05:25 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(09-16-2019 02:22 PM)ljmhurons Wrote:  

Good info for sure! A pile of money indeed but the amount is set by the market. I, for one, would not want one of those whining snipers that complain about Creighton's much lower salary.
09-16-2019 05:31 PM
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

(09-16-2019 05:25 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

Not sure about coaches.

Actually I appreciate the post info, it is indeed informative. Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, however, I think the motive for posting this is a thinly veiled effort to dampen the enthusiasm over our recent victory and win streak over the Big Ten. I appreciate history for sure but I am living in 2019 now and two of the nine programs you mention are CMU and Bowling Green with 6 and 8 wins respectively and both programs are likely to battle each other in 2019 for the MAC West basement. The Big Ten giant slayer Miami with 12 wins, is not expected to be very good this year as well, in fact they just got thumped by Iowa.

If we want to really delve into history, there have been two Midwestern baseball teams to reach the NCAA Baseball World Series in the past 53 years. One was U-M last year that everyone went gaga over. The other was Oak's team in 1976. Does that mean our baseball program is currently more successful than other MAC programs? I think not.

Another poster asked about if there has “ever” been a MAC coach with three wins over Big ten schools. I couldn’t find the answer, but found school records v the big ten.

If I have criticism of the athletic department regarding football or any other sport I say so. Nothing thinly veiled about it.
09-16-2019 10:43 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(09-16-2019 10:43 PM)ljmhurons Wrote:  
(09-16-2019 05:25 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

Not sure about coaches.

Another poster asked about if there has “ever” been a MAC coach with three wins over Big ten schools. I couldn’t find the answer, but found school records v the big ten.

If I have criticism of the athletic department regarding football or any other sport I say so. Nothing thinly veiled about it.

Guys, some of this is bordering on silly. Let me explain:

I vaguely remember the EMU 1975/6 baseball teams but that's almost a half century ago. I don't remember George Gervin when he was at EMU (I remember him from the ABA).

It is 2019. Most EMU students were not alive to remember things which happened in (most) of the 90s, or the 80s or 70s, etc.

Excellent EMU baseball teams, Olympic T&F stars, etc. are fine, but we live in times of the 'here and now.'

We played, and beat Lovie Smith's team. We beat Purdue. We beat Rutgers. We beat Josh Allen's WYO team twice.

We have several players from CC's teams, Wylie and Crosby, doing well in the NFL.

The "here and now" for EMU FB is good and seemingly getting better... Let's try to make it to Detroit for the MACC.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2019 04:47 AM by emu steve.)
09-17-2019 04:46 AM
KPJ Offline
1st String

I’m just trying to give Creighton his credit because I can’t think of another MAC Coach who has 3 B1G wins.
09-17-2019 05:43 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(09-17-2019 05:43 AM)KPJ Wrote:  I’m just trying to give Creighton his credit because I can’t think of another MAC Coach who has 3 B1G wins.

Correct.

And CC has our first P5 win, EVER!!
09-17-2019 06:32 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
if its anyone - its solich

i also thought deboer was still at fresno. im not surprised hes at IU - wilson the head coach is also a former creighton assistant. deboer is going to get another head coaching job eventually if he wants one - too bad it probably wont be here haha
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2019 06:44 AM by dansplaining.)
09-17-2019 06:42 AM
KPJ Offline
1st String

(09-17-2019 06:42 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  if its anyone - its solich

i also thought deboer was still at fresno. im not surprised hes at IU - wilson the head coach is also a former creighton assistant. deboer is going to get another head coaching job eventually if he wants one - too bad it probably wont be here haha

Just looked at Solich's career at Ohio. He's see two. He beat Illinois and Penn State.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch...edule.html
09-17-2019 07:52 AM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
(09-16-2019 10:43 PM)ljmhurons Wrote:  Another poster asked about if there has “ever” been a MAC coach with three wins over Big ten schools. I couldn’t find the answer, but found school records v the big ten.

- Dino Babers did it with BG in only 2 seasons (Maryland, Purdue, Indiana)
- Gary Pinkel with Toledo (Purdue x2 and Penn State)

It would have been done by plenty of others but the problem with MAC (and G5) schools is it's so hard to hang onto a coach. Fleck and Butch Jones would both have done it for sure, but they went onto green pastures. Creighton will do the same if offered, most likely. It's just a common sense move no matter how much you are attached to a school. Unless there are extenuating circumstances.
09-17-2019 08:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.