Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AI Tech in TV's
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
AI Tech in TV's
Well, after 9 or so years, I (we) upgraded our TV.
I had a Phillips 55" HD TV and it works quite well. It was starting to lose some pixels after that time so we decided to get a new TV.

I bought the NanoCell 4k LED LG 65" TV since the OLED were still a bit more than what I wanted to pay. (Wife wanted a little bigger screen). I got it at Best Buy for $1299.
LG Model is 65SM9000PUA

After a few weeks, of use I am quite impressed.
The colors and richness are quite impressive.

The TV has an AI Picture setting and the AI gathers data apparently and optimizes the resolution for a better picture as well as removes a bit of noise.

I use an antenna and while on my old TV the SD broadcasts were decent to OK, I had thought being higher resolution and a larger screen would have more distortion on the SD sub-channels I received. With the AI Picture turned on, the SD broadcasts are clearer than the old TV I had. It's not perfect but it does show a lot better especially for sports that are on sub-channels like Stadium TV. I had to double check the info to make sure they didn't have in as a low HD broadcast.

As for the other AI ThinQ software, I don't have that turned on because I have no care to use Alexa or Google Assistant and don't care to use it. Not the fan of having everything integrated in the home.

One thing to know: When you do upgrade to 4K TV, its performance is better when you upgrade the HDMI cables to the current standard. Needs 18 Gbs and HDR capability to get the full capacity of the TV.....other than needing 4k Broadcasts or content in 4k.

Oh...also of note that the new higher end LG TVs now carry Air Play. After upgraded the software to the current version, I am able to cast on the TV from the phone and tablet.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2019 10:55 AM by MWC Tex.)
09-14-2019 10:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: AI Tech in TV's
That's just their brand marketing for a bit of deinterlacing (most HD broadcasts are actually 1080i, not 1080p) and motion blur reduction. Basically there's a low power CPU in the panel that chews on the video before you see it.

Yes, you need a HDMI 1.2 cable to carry 4k 60 Hz. In the PC space this has been a problem for a few years now and you're finding more and more monitors made, particularly nice ones, where they only use DisplayPort since the latest DP spec can easily handle 1440p 144 Hz, 4k 120 Hz, and more.
09-15-2019 03:19 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
I bought a 37" Vizio in 2007.. Nothing wrong with the TV.. Still works great but a couple of months ago, during Father's Day weekend I got a 50" Vizio Smart TV.. Works like a champ as well. Moved the old one to our bedroom along with our Blu Ray player (so we can stream Vudu and Amazon Prime).. I started having issues Friday evening with the new TV because I couldn't stream Netflix or Vudu.. Swore it was our internet being throttled.. Then I read an article stating that sometimes the apps update but the TV doesn't update them and you have to do a Factory Restore to update them, which turns into a pain in the ass to re-log into all the apps... But I did and everything works fine..

Does anyone here know a work around to that?
09-17-2019 08:16 AM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Make sure it isn't a wifi signal issue before doing the factory reset. TV's are walled gardens, everything is proprietary, you have no access to the things that matter, etc etc. I don't think you'll be finding a work around on that.
09-17-2019 07:36 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(09-17-2019 07:36 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Make sure it isn't a wifi signal issue before doing the factory reset. TV's are walled gardens, everything is proprietary, you have no access to the things that matter, etc etc. I don't think you'll be finding a work around on that.

I'm hardlined into the router.. It wasn't a wifi issue.. I could stream Amazon Prime and YouTube TV.. I did the factory re-set and everything is running like a champ now.
09-18-2019 08:21 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
An interesting watch

09-19-2019 11:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.