Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Washington Post: UCF Football & fans are ‘still fighting the fight against the P5"
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Washington Post: UCF Football & fans are ‘still fighting the fight against the P5"
This is like the WAPO's 2nd article on UCF in just a matter of weeks.

Nice national pub and glad to see more national writers note about how "Born on Date" is the only reason why several dozens programs are in the P5 today.

UCF football and its fans are ‘still fighting the fight against the Power Five’

By Chuck Culpepper

September 13 at 3:02 PM

On Nov. 6, 1869, Rutgers defeated College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in the first known college football game, after which Rutgers established itself as the Power One, while New Jersey resorted to a less-moneyed but proud division known as Group of One.

The latter part of that actually didn’t happen, but as college football reaches age 150 this fall, historians and other revelers should not overlook the sacred role of snobbery and entitlement and caste in helping build college football into a perennial national festival of resentment cherished by so many.

See link for rest of article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/co...story.html
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2019 06:58 AM by KnightLight.)
09-14-2019 08:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
RE: Washington Post: UCF football fans are ‘still fighting the fight against the P5"
Great read

Chuck Culpepper is a UVA alum, I'll save Bulls fans the google search.
09-14-2019 08:38 AM
sierrajip Online
Heisman

RE: Washington Post: UCF football fans are ‘still fighting the fight against the P5"
(09-14-2019 08:08 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  This is like the WAPO's 2nd article on UCF in just a matter of weeks.

Nice national pub and glad to see more national writers note about how "Born on Date" is the only reason why several dozens programs are in the P5 today.

By Chuck Culpepper

On Nov. 6, 1869, Rutgers defeated College of New Jersey (later Princeton) in the first known college football game, after which Rutgers established itself as the Power One, while New Jersey resorted to a less-moneyed but proud division known as Group of One.

The latter part of that actually didn’t happen, but as college football reaches age 150 this fall, historians and other revelers should not overlook the sacred role of snobbery and entitlement and caste in helping build college football into a perennial national festival of resentment cherished by so many.

"This creates a setting in which Power Five schools have caught the newfangled viral strain of fear of UCF, thus shrinking from any unselfish future scheduling of UCF, all while UCF needs to schedule Power Five schools to attain Power Five caste."

This is the quote that caught my eye.
09-14-2019 10:36 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

RE: Washington Post: UCF Football & fans are ‘still fighting the fight against the...
(09-14-2019 10:36 AM)sierrajip Wrote:  
(09-14-2019 08:08 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  This is like the WAPO's 2nd article on UCF in just a matter of weeks.

By Chuck Culpepper

"This creates a setting in which Power Five schools have caught the newfangled viral strain of fear of UCF, thus shrinking from any unselfish future scheduling of UCF, all while UCF needs to schedule Power Five schools to attain Power Five caste."

This is the quote that caught my eye.

No doubt that and when UCF goes out and curb stomps Stanford in the first half, that doesn't make it any easier for UCF AD Danny White to secure future games.
09-15-2019 07:00 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Washington Post: UCF Football & fans are ‘still fighting the fight against the P5"
The guys calling the game were killing me. They kept saying that Stanford was a "quality" opponent inferring that there are not quality opponents in the AAC. Besides the elite teams there just isn't much difference among the P5 programs and the AAC, and solid MWC programs. Anyways I like that Freshman QB for UCF, makes fast decisions and gets the ball out fast like Milton.
09-15-2019 07:08 AM
Advertisement

GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
RE: Washington Post: UCF Football & fans are ‘still fighting the fight against the P5"
Those same guys said that if UCF wins out it will be very hard to keep them out of the playoff "Conversation", chuckled at that thinking that the ESPN announcers are as clueless as the coaches and national writers that have votes in the polls, not to mention that joke known as the payoff committee.
09-15-2019 09:16 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

RE: Washington Post: UCF Football & fans are ‘still fighting the fight against the...
(09-15-2019 09:16 AM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  Those same guys said that if UCF wins out it will be very hard to keep them out of the playoff "Conversation", chuckled at that thinking that the ESPN announcers are as clueless as the coaches and national writers that have votes in the polls, not to mention that joke known as the payoff committee.

ESPN Announcer Mark Jones and ESPN Analyst Dusty Dvoracek (Oklahoma Alum and former NFL Player) both know full well that ESPN "owns" (i.e. runs) the CFP (let alone BOUGHT the CFP for their network)...but they have to put up the charade that teams like UCF would be taken seriously into the "good ole boys club" of P5 and CFP.
09-15-2019 09:31 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

By Chuck Culpepper

Article, written BEFORE the Stanford game...hits home even harder AFTER UCF jumped all over this "P5" team with their star QB back in the line-up.
09-16-2019 09:46 AM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Dick Vitale @DickieV
I hope that all those who have been critical of the success of @UCF_Football claiming that their record is not legit due to their schedule realize they are in a legit D-1 football program who can play with all the Big Boys. Don’t believe me give a call to the @StanfordFball staff
09-16-2019 01:18 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(09-16-2019 01:18 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Dick Vitale @DickieV
I hope that all those who have been critical of the success of @UCF_Football claiming that their record is not legit due to their schedule realize they are in a legit D-1 football program who can play with all the Big Boys. Don’t believe me give a call to the @StanfordFball staff

Surprised he watched anyone other than Notre Dame, Duke and North Carolina in CFB.
09-16-2019 01:22 PM
Pony94 Online

(09-16-2019 01:22 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Surprised he watched anyone other than Notre Dame, Duke and North Carolina in CFB.

Yeah, I had to verify it was real and not some parody acct.
09-16-2019 01:25 PM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Surprised he watched football period.
09-16-2019 05:33 PM
bullsbucsfan426 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
(09-16-2019 05:33 PM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  

He was a USF fan about a decade ago. Mike Ford let him down.
09-16-2019 07:21 PM
Advertisement

Pitt Co Pirates Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU / AAC
(09-16-2019 07:21 PM)bullsbucsfan426 Wrote:  
(09-16-2019 05:33 PM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  

He was a USF fan about a decade ago. Mike Ford let him down.

UCF is doing a great job kicking the door down in a major way. It also should be noted that the entire conference is towing that fight as well. Has UCF been the most successful? Absolutely, but collectively as conference contributions are being made as well fighting establishment conferences.
09-16-2019 08:35 PM
Pony94 Online

RedditCFB @RedditCFB
10 games this week between teams that both have National Championships, sorted by combined Championships: • 13: ND @ UGA • 10: UCF @ Pitt • 10: NEB @ ILL • 9: TENN @ UF • 8: Cal @ MISS • 5: Auburn @ TAMU • 5: WASH @ BYU • 5: SMU @ TCU • 5: OkSt @ Texas • 2: BC @ Rutgers
09-20-2019 11:49 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(09-20-2019 11:49 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  RedditCFB @RedditCFB
10 games this week between teams that both have National Championships, sorted by combined Championships: • 13: ND @ UGA • 10: UCF @ Pitt • 10: NEB @ ILL • 9: TENN @ UF • 8: Cal @ MISS • 5: Auburn @ TAMU • 5: WASH @ BYU • 5: SMU @ TCU • 5: OkSt @ Texas • 2: BC @ Rutgers

Reddit CFB loves getting everyone worked up about the 2017 national championship. They also awarded us national champs too.
09-20-2019 12:02 PM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
That was a nice article.

Too bad the guy doesn't work for a more credible source than the Washington "whoops, did we forget about those crucial facts before running with this BS story?" Post.
09-20-2019 12:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.