Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Since we are FCS for life
Bookmark and Share
Dukester Online

I Root For: JMU
I really think the administration should work hard for a 2 fer 1 with ODU or gulp LU. 03-drunk Nevermind, not LU.

If we're going to stay the big fish in a small pond, at least step out of the box to get something we "almost" had a few years ago with a MAC school. I realize it will be hard to accomplish, and we've obviously tried in the past - but be creative. Move heaven & earth to get 'er done.

It's the next step......
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2019 04:05 PM by Dukester.)
09-11-2019 01:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
RE: Since we are FBS for life
(09-11-2019 01:22 PM)Dukester Wrote:  I really think the administration should work hard for a 2 fer 1 with ODU or gulp LU. 03-drunk Nevermind, not LU.

If we're going to stay the big fish in a small pond, at least step out of the box to get something we "almost" had a few years ago with a MAC school. I realize it will be hard to accomplish, and we've obviously tried in the past - but be creative. Move heaven & earth to get 'er done.

It's the next step......

Read today in the local rag that Oduh is getting 800k to play LU in ‘23; that’s after the 1.3m they got last year. They have a decent thing going with ECU, VT, UVA, LU- close by, fan-interest fbs matchups. WF and UVA come to Norfuk next year. Not arguing we could do it or should do it, but it is a decent situation for them and their fans.
09-11-2019 01:30 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-11-2019 01:22 PM)Dukester Wrote:  I really think the administration should work hard for a 2 fer 1 with ODU or gulp LU. 03-drunk Nevermind, not LU.

It's the next step......

FBS for life???? Woo Hoo!!!!! COGS

Anyway, I know what you meant.

I think if we had any self respect for our program, we don't do that type of deal w/ those two.

First off, one should NOT be doing 2 for 1s w/ schools we outdraw.
And secondly, it sends a message that their programs are above ours in the Commonwealth's pecking order, which is not the case.

Give me a home & home and I'll take either of them on, even with 22 less scholarships.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2019 03:55 PM by olddawg.)
09-11-2019 03:53 PM
PGJMU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Dukes
the espn predictor has them as a dog in their remaining games this year. against USTA they are 49% win , the rest are 33% win likelyhood or worse.

optimisitically 3-8 projection, yikes, ODU has passed us by and should be rolling into the AAC next year.

good thing they renovated their stadium. they are going to need it to hold all 8k by the end of the year. Plenty of room for Dukeman!!!! This is what happens when you move up in a crappy conference and prematurely. you can tout schedule and fundraising all you want, fans want a winner and they will be bleeding fans in buckets by the end of the year with the Dukes firmly in the 3rd spot for football in va.
09-11-2019 04:10 PM
Dukester Online

RE: Since we are FCS for life
(09-11-2019 04:10 PM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  the espn predictor has them as a dog in their remaining games this year. against USTA they are 49% win , the rest are 33% win likelyhood or worse.

optimisitically 3-8 projection, yikes, ODU has passed us by and should be rolling into the AAC next year.

good thing they renovated their stadium. they are going to need it to hold all 8k by the end of the year. Plenty of room for Dukeman!!!! This is what happens when you move up in a crappy conference and prematurely. you can tout schedule and fundraising all you want, fans want a winner and they will be bleeding fans in buckets by the end of the year with the Dukes firmly in the 3rd spot for football in va.

That said, if they played at JMU now it would likely be the biggest regular season game in history.
09-11-2019 04:15 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Boo. You’re not allowed to change the thread title. OWN YOUR TYPO.

FBS4LYFE
09-11-2019 05:19 PM
Advertisement

Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

Chris Graham – Augusta Free Press – 7/8/19 – “there's no way anyone rational in charge of things at JMU would look at the school's options with athletics and say, let's continue to be a member of an also-ran conference, when we could be something much bigger”
09-11-2019 05:39 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-11-2019 04:15 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(09-11-2019 04:10 PM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  the espn predictor has them as a dog in their remaining games this year. against USTA they are 49% win , the rest are 33% win likelyhood or worse.

That said, if they played at JMU now it would likely be the biggest regular season game in history.

We said that in 2012 too but hardly anyone showed up. It’s not as big of a game as some want to make it out to be.
09-11-2019 05:46 PM
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

I wish JMU were playing UVA next Saturday at 7pm on ESPN
09-11-2019 06:50 PM
Purplehazed Online
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
This thread makes me sad. How can we do so little with so much?
09-11-2019 07:21 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

So little? Dude you are just clueless. As I have said many times before, we should all aspire to be more but what JMU is today is pretty darn good. The train continues to move forward Haze. It is a shame your lust for more is blinding your ability to be rational. You have lost perspective.

I recall sitting in a less than 1/3 full stadium with my good friend Dave back in the early 80s. We could not talk anyone in our fraternity to join us. Our house was the first one after the Greek row bridge so it wasn’t a hike to walk over to the stadium. Last weekend 22,000 people watched us play St. Francis. We could not beat Richmond back then, now we simply own them and the Tribe too. In 1980 we became FCS but did not make the playoffs until 1987. We did not win our first playoff game until I think 1992. We have won two national championships in the last 14 years and are now seen as one of the top two FCS programs in the country. All of this and you say so little?

You must be one spoiled human being brother. I marvel at how far we have come. It pisses me off every time I read your crap posts belittling the accomplishments of our football program. You must be too young to have any grounded frame of reference. I feel so fortunate to have witnessed the rise of JMU football and James Madison University. I am so proud of all we are. I don’t understand people who are not.
09-11-2019 07:58 PM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
04-clap204-clap204-clap204-clap2

Preach on brother!
09-11-2019 10:21 PM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

I think if we had any self respect for our program, we don't do that type of deal w/ those two.

And secondly, it sends a message that their programs are above ours in the Commonwealth's pecking order, which is not the case.

Give me a home & home and I'll take either of them on, even with 22 less scholarships.
-------
I disagree with your assessment here. Taking a bad 2-for-1 deal is a whole lot better than playing StFU *and* Norfolk State. Is it a bad deal? Yep. Is it an insult? Yep. But it'd also be a great draw, and we could show them who's better and use it as a stepping stone.
09-11-2019 10:53 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-11-2019 03:53 PM)olddawg Wrote:  

It's the next step......

FBS for life???? Woo Hoo!!!!! COGS

Anyway, I know what you meant.

I agree.
09-12-2019 05:25 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-11-2019 10:53 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  I think if we had any self respect for our program, we don't do that type of deal w/ those two.

-------
I disagree with your assessment here. Taking a bad 2-for-1 deal is a whole lot better than playing StFU *and* Norfolk State. Is it a bad deal? Yep. Is it an insult? Yep. But it'd also be a great draw, and we could show them who's better and use it as a stepping stone.

Playing FCS cupcakes prepares JMu FB for league play, and sets JMU up for making the post-season. So long as JMU is FCS making 2 for 1 deals with any low (and you can’t get lower than ODU) FBS programs should be a non-starter.
09-12-2019 05:28 AM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

We did a neutral site with WVU. I would think something along those lines with another FBS team would be possible, but probably not at a place like Fedex again unless it was a top 15 FBS team.
09-12-2019 07:28 AM
Advertisement

DWING Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & JMU & ECU
(09-11-2019 05:46 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(09-11-2019 04:15 PM)Dukester Wrote:  

We said that in 2012 too but hardly anyone showed up. It’s not as big of a game as some want to make it out to be.

The 2012 game was also played on Thanksgiving break, students left school on Friday.
09-12-2019 08:38 AM
JMUforBreakfast Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: jmu
I don't think FBS schools will play AT an FCS school. When is the last time that happened anywhere?
09-12-2019 09:47 AM
RamDawg Online
1st String

I Root For: JMU VCU
(09-11-2019 07:58 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  So little? Dude you are just clueless. As I have said many times before, we should all aspire to be more but what JMU is today is pretty darn good. The train continues to move forward Haze. It is a shame your lust for more is blinding your ability to be rational. You have lost perspective.

I recall sitting in a less than 1/3 full stadium with my good friend Dave back in the early 80s. We could not talk anyone in our fraternity to join us. Our house was the first one after the Greek row bridge so it wasn’t a hike to walk over to the stadium. Last weekend 22,000 people watched us play St. Francis. We could not beat Richmond back then, now we simply own them and the Tribe too. In 1980 we became FCS but did not make the playoffs until 1987. We did not win our first playoff game until I think 1992. We have won two national championships in the last 14 years and are now seen as one of the top two FCS programs in the country. All of this and you say so little?

You must be one spoiled human being brother. I marvel at how far we have come. It pisses me off every time I read your crap posts belittling the accomplishments of our football program. You must be too young to have any grounded frame of reference. I feel so fortunate to have witnessed the rise of JMU football and James Madison University. I am so proud of all we are. I don’t understand people who are not.

I haven't been a fan/supporter at JMU very long but I still know some of the important history and recognize some remarkable things have happened in a relatively short period of time, not only with athletics but pretty much everywhere around campus. As someone that is in his 50's, I tend to be much more "thankful" for what's provided to/for me compared to when I was in my 30's when I felt "I deserve..... and I want it now"

I'm on the fence with the FBS vs. FCS but if and/or when the time comes to make a move, all I know for sure is I don't want to see JMU do it the way ODU has done it. It's easy to second guess anything but it seems to me ODU wanted FBS so badly that the blinders prohibited them from see the big picture.

In it's current state; JMU would be crazy to take a 2-fer with ODU or Liberty. I can't think of a good reason how that would benefit JMU other than us getting paid to play. Am I missing something?
09-12-2019 10:09 AM
PGJMU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Dukes
(09-12-2019 09:47 AM)JMUforBreakfast Wrote:  I don't think FBS schools will play AT an FCS school. When is the last time that happened anywhere?

No inside information here, but Uconn and Umass might be looking for games and $$$ and could be convinced.

a home and home might be more attractive to them.

although i am sure they would dodge us as two losses would not play well.

so 3 schools walk into a bar, ODU, UMass and Uconn. Dukeman tells them move up to FBS, it is the land of big p#ni$e$. Five years later they come back to that same bar neutered looking for Dukeman. Where is dukeman they ask? He is on the CAAzone telling the Dukes they missed out on FBS. We want our p#nis# back they cry.
09-12-2019 10:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.