Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game Blacked Out
Bookmark and Share
TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
Game Blacked Out
Saturday our game was blacked out on DirecTV in the D/FW market. I had to scramble and watch the game on Madizone. Did anyone else outside of the DC market experience a blackout?
09-09-2019 08:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

atljmualum Offline
All American

Game Blacked Out
Was blacked out on DTV in Atlanta as well.
09-09-2019 08:42 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Game Blacked Out
Wow it's pointless to have those channels in your package if they're just going to black out the games you are subscribing to it for.
09-09-2019 08:43 AM
TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

(09-09-2019 08:43 AM)Potomac Wrote:  Wow it's pointless to have those channels in your package if they're just going to black out the games you are subscribing to it for.

I totally agree. I have a pretty thorough understanding of blackout restrictions in pro leagues. I even understand with regard to college sports when bigger conferences are involved.

Our games are complete one-offs. I checked with JMU and Flo does not control rights for our games. We didn’t restrict it. So why was the game blacked out??? I am trying to figure it out for later in the season.
09-09-2019 09:03 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

Seems strange. I thought normally blackouts occurred in local areas when a team (typically NFL) has not sold out the game.

Don’t believe I’ve heard of it applying out of region before on sports. Is this because of the agreement with Flo? Maybe we aren’t allowed to have our broadcast leave the RSN “footprint”? Odd that it would apply to a game Flo isn’t carrying.
09-09-2019 09:10 AM
JMUsince89 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Most times games are blacked out for locals in a certian distance from the acutual game. Point being to get you to the live game. Even then its lifted if there is a sellout. Not sure why it was done in Tx. Sure wasnt a local game. It was on Comcast cable here in the burg on NBCSports Washington. This game wasn't a CAA/Flosports production. This weekend will be.
09-09-2019 09:12 AM
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-09-2019 09:03 AM)TXGiant Wrote:  
(09-09-2019 08:43 AM)Potomac Wrote:  Wow it's pointless to have those channels in your package if they're just going to black out the games you are subscribing to it for.

I totally agree. I have a pretty thorough understanding of blackout restrictions in pro leagues. I even understand with regard to college sports when bigger conferences are involved.

Our games are complete one-offs. I checked with JMU and Flo does not control rights for our games. We didn’t restrict it. So why was the game blacked out??? I am trying to figure it out for later in the season.

So that implies NBC SW or DirecTV made the decision to black out?
09-09-2019 09:12 AM
TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

(09-09-2019 09:12 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(09-09-2019 09:03 AM)TXGiant Wrote:  

So that implies NBC SW or DirecTV made the decision to black out?

That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Of course, this is proving to be very difficult!
09-09-2019 09:18 AM
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

(09-09-2019 08:19 AM)TXGiant Wrote:  Saturday our game was blacked out on DirecTV in the D/FW market. I had to scramble and watch the game on Madizone. Did anyone else outside of the DC market experience a blackout?

I got it in Arlington via AT&T TV Now, which was DirecTV Now like two months ago.
09-09-2019 09:23 AM
wmacson Offline
Water Engineer

I was blacked out in the NYC area as well. I thought it was strange that it was blacked out as well. Not sure why it was. I just listened to the radio call instead.
09-09-2019 10:07 AM
jjthebutcher Offline
Special Teams

I just emailed Curt Dudley to pass along to whoever needs to check that out...
09-09-2019 10:14 AM
Advertisement

jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
Watched on spectrum cable down here in 757... couldn’t attend live due to a work thing
09-09-2019 10:55 AM
Nerfherder95 Offline
2nd String

I was also blacked out on DTV in Denver. Switched to watch live on Madizone. I hate watching sports live cuz I can't stand commercials.

But yeah it didnt make sense this was blacked out. But the odder thing was later on that evening I still had the channel set to 642 and they had a rerun of American Gladiator blacked out! I mean.. what?
09-09-2019 11:23 AM
TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

According to DTV, they did not make the decision to black it out. Continuing to investigate.
09-09-2019 12:06 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Game Blacked Out
Fwiw, I was able to get it on NBCSW in the Richmond area with Comcast. No blackout.
09-09-2019 01:15 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Game Blacked Out
It’s sounds like it was isolated only to direct Tv subscribers.
09-09-2019 01:17 PM
Advertisement

formerjmusprinter84 Offline
1st String

It was blacked out on DTV in Boca Raton, FL. They showed it on the schedule. I am pretty sure I have watched other JMU games down here on the same channel in the past. I had to boot the laptop up to get it on Madizone.
09-09-2019 01:19 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(09-09-2019 12:06 PM)TXGiant Wrote:  According to DTV, they did not make the decision to black it out. Continuing to investigate.

It was FLO. Between their subterfuge and Potomac whoring himself promoting them, we're going to need FLO subscriptions to post on this board.
09-09-2019 02:20 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
I thought this was a thread about me or DirtyDukes
09-09-2019 02:23 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(09-09-2019 02:23 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  I thought this was a thread about me or DirtyDukes

Yeah, I guess I could see the confusion about the topic of getting "blacked out" applying to Dirty. 04-cheers
09-09-2019 02:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.