Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USF- Strong Hotseat?
Digetydog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mustang Mania
USF- Strong Hotseat?
By my count, USF is likely to be favored to lose against SMU, BYU, Navy before they finish with four more losses to Temple, Cincinnati, Memphis, and UCF. They could easily finish with 9 losses and will almost certainly fail to win enough games to become bowl eligible.

USF fans - how likely is USF to pull the plug quickly?
09-08-2019 02:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
RE: USF- Strong Hotseat?
I’m not sure they can afford a new coach. That said, I hope he stays forever.
09-08-2019 02:41 PM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
(09-08-2019 02:41 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  I’m not sure they can afford a new coach. That said, I hope he stays forever.

At some point you have to ask if they suffered enough? It just stops being fun and you start to say "the kids had enough".
09-08-2019 02:44 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

(09-08-2019 02:44 PM)otown Wrote:  
(09-08-2019 02:41 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  I’m not sure they can afford a new coach. That said, I hope he stays forever.

At some point you have to ask if they suffered enough? It just stops being fun and you start to say "the kids had enough".

I’m sure they were just as forgiving and nice when UCF went 0-12.
09-08-2019 02:47 PM
otown Offline
All American

(09-08-2019 02:47 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  

Difference was that we experience some major success right before that with that Fiesta bowl win and back to back conference championships. Our hurt was so damn short lived.
They have been through such a free fall. Just when things were starting to turn around, they go into a free fall again. In fact, UCF was the cause of them not getting to experience anything that sweet due to that epic black Friday game win.
They have suffered enough since their pompous chest beating #2 ranking for a week big east days.
09-08-2019 02:52 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(09-08-2019 02:52 PM)otown Wrote:  

Difference was that we experience some major success right before that with that Fiesta bowl win and back to back conference championships. Our hurt was so damn short lived.
They have been through such a free fall. Just when things were starting to turn around, they go into a free fall again. In fact, UCF was the cause of them not getting to experience anything that sweet due to that epic black Friday game win.
They have suffered enough since their pompous chest beating #2 ranking for a week big east days.

Well, we also had a history long enough to have gone through losing. USF came onto the scene very quickly and Leavitt quickly had them winning and winning some big games. So the down cycle that hit them under Holtz was something they had never experienced as a football fan base. And this is worse than that (though not quite Willie's first season bad yet).

I think Kelly will be quick to pull the plug, if he can afford the buyout. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a confirmed buyout amount has been published; just speculated upon.

That said, I predicted elsewhere that if USF isn't at least bowl eligible, that he's gone. Plus, I think if UCF goes to a third straight NY6, Kelly and the new president will feel a need to hit a home run hire that will quickly get them back into contention. They will forego hiring a coordinator due to the risk of the unknown (Frost and Heupel both could have bombed as HCs after all - no guarantees). IE, I think USF will decide Art Briles has been in purgatory long enough and offer him the job. He obviously has a much better record at winning than Charlie, even if he's a P5 retread.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2019 03:48 PM by CitrusUCF.)
09-08-2019 03:39 PM
Advertisement

SMUleopold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Guess, genius..
Season is still young, and USF still has talent. They played GaTech well and if Wisconsin, who still has a Heisman trophy candidate in their backfield, wins the Big 10 then people may be forgiving if USF goes 7-5, 8-4. But it can't help with UCF rolling like they are.
09-08-2019 03:43 PM
Sideshow2313 Offline
1st String

Strong still has a winning record at USF. When he doesn't then and only then should he be on a hot seat. The last thing USF should do is fire Strong without a great coach to accept the job. Until they grow their fanbase and improve facilies it will not be a great HC job.
09-08-2019 04:17 PM
Poseidon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
Taggart may be available.
09-08-2019 04:26 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
Got to give the guy 5 more years just to be sure
09-08-2019 04:31 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(09-08-2019 04:26 PM)Poseidon Wrote:  Taggart may be available.

I would pull the trigger ASAP... Don't think Kerwin Bell could do any worse than Charlie Strong, and might also be able to keep whatever fan base they have at this point happy. (VS Wisconsin 46,704)

Bell might be able to salvage the season with his own staff... At this point 6-6 would be a successful season.

Bulls’ losing streak up to 8 games over 2 seasons.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2019 04:36 PM by GoOwls111.)
09-08-2019 04:35 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
No school in this conference can throw rocks when you live in a glass house. We all have had down periods in football, so no need to kick a conference mate when it's down.

Unless it's UConn who left on their own and killed football in the process.
09-08-2019 05:08 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(09-08-2019 02:30 PM)Digetydog Wrote:  By my count, USF is likely to be favored to lose against SMU, BYU, Navy before they finish with four more losses to Temple, Cincinnati, Memphis, and UCF. They could easily finish with 9 losses and will almost certainly fail to win enough games to become bowl eligible.

USF fans - how likely is USF to pull the plug quickly?

I'd say that if USF ends the season with a 3-9 record, Strong's probably gone. But you might be getting ahead of yourself with the whole "likely to be favored to lose against SMU, BYU and Navy thing. Sagarin has us close enough to both of those AAC games that "likely" is probably a stretch. USF has a game against an FCS opponent and a bye before we host the Mustangs, while SMU is going to have to play at TCU. Let's see where both teams are after that game (during USF's bye week) before we guess the lines. We don't go to Annapolis for 6 weeks, so I'm not quite sure I'd bank on the Middies being favored by then, either.

As for whether USF can afford to buy him out, it's not like we didn't have to buy out Holtz and Antigua. We'll be fine. But if we do make a move, we need to do a better job of due diligence. We've done better by finding scrappy guys (Leavitt, Bobby Paschal) than we've ever done trying to hire guys with names (Strong, Holtz, Greenberg).

USFFan
09-08-2019 05:19 PM
Digetydog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mustang Mania
(09-08-2019 05:08 PM)TripleA Wrote:  No school in this conference can throw rocks when you live in a glass house. We all have had down periods in football, so no need to kick a conference mate when it's down.

Unless it's UConn who left on their own and killed football in the process.

I am a Texas grad and feel their pain. They need to cur off the boil.
09-08-2019 06:46 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF, UofH, AAC!
The problem is, he is in year 2 of a 5 year contract. This, this is the genius of USF... we give proven losers a 5 year deal, then get buyers remorse after a couple of years... that way we get to pay multiple coaches for multiple years! Hell, if we want to be consistent, it's about time to give Strong an extension!!

Seriously, our leaders have run this program into the ground. Other than the two years of Flowers (and that success was Flowers not Tag - we were winning games by scores like 50-48), the program has been awful for almost a decade spanning 3 coaches. And people want to ***** about our attendance?

Until we get serious about football, I don't think anything will change. Half our practices (or more) were affected by rain this year due to lack of IPF. Build the IPF, hire a HUNGRY AND AGRESSIVE AND SUCCESSFUL coordinator from a P5 school. You can probably add progress towards the OCS on this list... but it's not 'essential'. We have the seats, our problem is that the program is ridiculous.

Current team is listless, and one of the most poorly coached I've ever seen. Strong took an 11 win team and has made it one of the worst in BCS. They quit on Strong last season, and it's just continuing into this season. Surprised the offense is not better under Bell, I don't have an explanation for that...

Until USF gets serious, like others in the conference have done, ain't nothing gonna change in Tampa.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2019 06:48 PM by Bull.)
09-08-2019 06:47 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

0-17 was more fun....

BTW, I am sure we can afford to fire CCS as it would cost them less than losing the fanbase again that USFhas worked hard to get back in the fold.

Season is not over...

Defense is playing better and McCloud gave the team a lift at QB.

Let's talk in 3 weeks....about the upcoming basketball season. smh
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2019 07:02 PM by CyberBull.)
09-08-2019 06:57 PM
Advertisement

GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(09-08-2019 06:47 PM)Bull Wrote:  The problem is, he is in year 2 of a 5 year contract. This, this is the genius of USF... we give proven losers a 5 year deal, then get buyers remorse after a couple of years... that way we get to pay multiple coaches for multiple years! Hell, if we want to be consistent, it's about time to give Strong an extension!!

Seriously, our leaders have run this program into the ground. Other than the two years of Flowers (and that success was Flowers not Tag - we were winning games by scores like 50-48), the program has been awful for almost a decade spanning 3 coaches. And people want to ***** about our attendance?

Until we get serious about football, I don't think anything will change. Half our practices (or more) were affected by rain this year due to lack of IPF. Build the IPF, hire a HUNGRY AND AGRESSIVE AND SUCCESSFUL coordinator from a P5 school. You can probably add progress towards the OCS on this list... but it's not 'essential'. We have the seats, our problem is that the program is ridiculous.

Current team is listless, and one of the most poorly coached I've ever seen. Strong took an 11 win team and has made it one of the worst in BCS. They quit on Strong last season, and it's just continuing into this season. Surprised the offense is not better under Bell, I don't have an explanation for that...

Until USF gets serious, like others in the conference have done, ain't nothing gonna change in Tampa.

I think the team can win... The problem is that Strong looks as lost as Blake Barnett at times... Kerwin Bell would probably switch QB if he was the coach.

Just Because a QB transfers from a P5 doesn't mean hes going to win.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2019 07:49 PM by GoOwls111.)
09-08-2019 07:47 PM
otown Offline
All American

(09-08-2019 07:47 PM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  
(09-08-2019 06:47 PM)Bull Wrote:  The problem is, he is in year 2 of a 5 year contract. This, this is the genius of USF... we give proven losers a 5 year deal, then get buyers remorse after a couple of years... that way we get to pay multiple coaches for multiple years! Hell, if we want to be consistent, it's about time to give Strong an extension!!

I think the team can win... The problem is that Strong looks as lost as Blake Barnett at times... Kerwin Bell would probably switch QB if he was the coach.

Just Because a QB transfers from a P5 doesn't mean hes going to win.

Wasn't it Strong who said his job is not to coach, but to make sure his assistants are coaching?
09-08-2019 07:51 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

It really depends on the coaching pool that will be left at the end of the season. If there is someone available that is worth taking that chance. The AD is going to be important in the decision. I just wonder if the present AD is trusted by the alumni and fans.
09-08-2019 08:00 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
How long is he is he getting paid by Texas. He has that much time for USF to keep him on the Cheap. He really isn't going anywhere anyway. He is 17 and 10 at USF, and 70 and 47 overall as a head coach with 8 bowl appearances (4 and 4). One loosing season if he has one this year is not going to cost him his job. Season is young he might going bowling yet. 07-coffee3
09-08-2019 08:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.