Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cartel Confession Booth
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Cartel Confession Booth
No judgments here. Well... maybe a little bit.

I'm just curious... I know we all love our AAC teams, and most (or many) of us attended the school that we represent on this forum.

Is there any cartel school (formerly known as "P5") that you rooted for prior to your AAC school? Or is there a cartel school that you have a soft spot for, for whatever reason?

I can go first...

I grew up in a Wake Forest house. Dad played basketball for the Deacs back in the 70's, and we went to damn near every Wake football and basketball game from around 1990 until I left for ECU in 2002. (We lived in Winston-Salem, too.) My sister went there, 2 uncles, and a cousin. All Demon Deacons. So... I tend to root for them whenever they're playing anyone outside of the AAC (I rooted for you Tulane & Temple...haha). But I can't say that I still own a single piece of Wake Forest apparel, outside maybe an old paint-stained t-shirt to do yard work in.

I guess I could also say that my level of interest in the Sooners (football only) has gone from none whatsoever to a TINY bit... the past 3 years of Pirate football have been rough, and it has been nice to see Lincoln Riley & Ruff winning a lot of games... but no other reason than that.
09-04-2019 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
RE: Cartel Confession Booth
Forgive me father for I have sinned..............................

Georgia. I was born in Augusta, and moved to Florida as an infant. The father of a very close friend of mine through high school graduated from UGA medical school and practiced locally. He had 10 season tickets and we attended the worlds largest cocktail party every year. This also explains my utter distant for those jort wearing yahoos from Gainesville.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2019 12:22 PM by NestaKnight1.)
09-04-2019 12:21 PM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(09-04-2019 12:10 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  No judgments here. Well... maybe a little bit.

I'm just curious... I know we all love our AAC teams, and most (or many) of us attended the school that we represent on this forum.

Is there any cartel school (formerly known as "P5") that you rooted for prior to your AAC school? Or is there a cartel school that you have a soft spot for, for whatever reason?

I can go first...

I grew up in a Wake Forest house. Dad played basketball for the Deacs back in the 70's, and we went to damn near every Wake football and basketball game from around 1990 until I left for ECU in 2002. (We lived in Winston-Salem, too.) My sister went there, 2 uncles, and a cousin. All Demon Deacons. So... I tend to root for them whenever they're playing anyone outside of the AAC (I rooted for you Tulane & Temple...haha). But I can't say that I still own a single piece of Wake Forest apparel, outside maybe an old paint-stained t-shirt to do yard work in.

I guess I could also say that my level of interest in the Sooners (football only) has gone from none whatsoever to a TINY bit... the past 3 years of Pirate football have been rough, and it has been nice to see Lincoln Riley & Ruff winning a lot of games... but no other reason than that.

Illinois and Northwestern. They almost always suck though. I grew up in an area that was heavy-duty pro teams and college anything really took a back seat. Way different than down south. It wasn't until I went to Memphis State at 18 yrs. old did I follow college sports.
09-04-2019 12:22 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
In football, I root for:

1. Memphis. Born and raised there, got my undergrad business degree there. Die hard.

2. Georgia. Lived near there for 33 years. Casual rooting interest.

3. Auburn. Live there now. Most of my wife's relatives are Auburn fans. Casual rooting interest.
09-04-2019 12:29 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
I loved watching Oklahoma and Georgia at a time that I barely new what football was, after the supreme court ruling of 1984 "NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma and the University of Georgia Athletic Association" I stopped watching college football until that TCU @ BYU game in 1988.

That case ruined college football to some extent, depends on which side of the fence you are on I guess.

BTW, haven't watched a game of any university that was not part of the BIG EAST or AAC, or left either conference, or played a team from either conference.

Still have some rooting interest in BYU.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2019 12:36 PM by GoOwls111.)
09-04-2019 12:32 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
My wife graduated from Miami, so we are a house divided situation and we attend games for both programs when we can.

My father was a football player (played in Ohio for a div ii), so we just watched the top national games. He just enjoyed watching the top talent play. If a Florida school was ranked we rooted for all of them to do well. So my house growing up was a little different.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2019 12:44 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
09-04-2019 12:39 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-04-2019 12:21 PM)NestaKnight1 Wrote:  Forgive me father for I have sinned..............................

Georgia. I was born in Augusta, and moved to Florida as an infant. The father of a very close friend of mine through high school graduated from UGA medical school and practiced locally. He had 10 season tickets and we attended the worlds largest cocktail party every year. This also explains my utter distant for those jort wearing yahoos from Gainesville.

For you my friend. 04-cheers

[Image: because-and-_39_merica-that-and-_39_s-wh...p=faces%22]
09-04-2019 12:41 PM
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

Living down here in Louisiana, I have a soft spot for LSU (till their fans start getting on my nerves).
09-04-2019 12:42 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Nope.

In full disclosure my wife is an Ohio State grad as is basically everyone in her family with the exception of a Notre Dame group through marriage. We lived in Columbus for 12 years, and I would often have to attend tailgating with friends and actually went to a couple OSU football games. Never was a fan though.
09-04-2019 12:44 PM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
Probably 90% of TU students that grew up in Oklahoma grew up rooting for OU or OSU and I was no exception. My dad was partial to OU so I was as well. Plus when they won the title in 2000 I was just old enough to follow what was going on that season. I still pull for OU when not playing TU, and even OSU as well when they're not playing the other 2.
09-04-2019 12:46 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
In FB:

1. Memphis - got my BBA - Accounting degree there; lived in Memphis 13 years - diehard

2. WVU - family tradition and grew up there - diehard, but would pull for Memphis head to head

3. Michigan - cause I hate OSU so much, but this has not been good to me lately - casual

4. WFU - lived in Winston-Salem for 12 years and even had season tickets on the hill - casual

5. Marshall - I am not one of those WVU fans - grew up going to a lot of games at Old Fairfield Stadium - a little more than casual
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2019 12:48 PM by Tigeer.)
09-04-2019 12:46 PM
Advertisement

SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

I also pull for Virginia. My wife went to Law school there.
09-04-2019 12:47 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
In BB:
1. Memphis - got my BBA - Accounting degree there; lived in Memphis 13 years - diehard

2. WVU - family tradition and grew up there - diehard, but would pull for Memphis head to head

3. Marshall - grew up going to games at the Old Memorial Field House - a little more than casual

4. Kentucky (I know), but only pre- and post- Calipari - my mother is a UK alum - casual, actually do like UK FB better than hoops
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2019 12:51 PM by Tigeer.)
09-04-2019 12:51 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
Followed NFL football exclusively before enrolling at ECU. I'm late to the party, but it's been my only party.
09-04-2019 01:07 PM
Pitt Co Pirates Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU / AAC
(09-04-2019 12:10 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  No judgments here. Well... maybe a little bit.

I can go first...

I grew up a Wake Fan too. My dad went to Wake where he played both football and baseball. He roomed next to Arnold Palmer after he came back from the war for 2 years. They went to Wake when it was in Wake Forest NC. Grew up with the game ball on my our mantel where my dad intercepted 2 passes running 1 in for the winning touchdown against UNC. My Dad also scored the winning touchdown against USC in the first Gator Bowl. He was there for the 50th anniversary of the Gator Bowl and passed a year later. Great man. So needless to say I grew up a Wake Fan, but I graduated ECU in 85 and been a diehard Pirate ever since. Go Pirates!!!
09-04-2019 01:17 PM
NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

(09-04-2019 12:41 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 12:21 PM)NestaKnight1 Wrote:  Forgive me father for I have sinned..............................

For you my friend. 04-cheers

[Image: because-and-_39_merica-that-and-_39_s-wh...p=faces%22]

I forgot the mullet! That was absolutely picture perfect 03-lmfao btw, distant=disdain. 04-cheers
09-04-2019 01:25 PM
Advertisement

NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU
I went to both UCF and LSU. UCF as the undergrad school is easily team #1, and LSU is team #2.

The Fiesta Bowl was tough to watch. I was simultaneously happy LSU won their first major bowl game since 2007 and devastated that we lost.
09-04-2019 01:32 PM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Nope. I hate all things Columbus, Ohio.
09-04-2019 01:35 PM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
Does ND count as a Cartel team?

I loved watching Jeff Samardzija growing up. Still sour that he went to the MLB instead of the NFL. Dude is my favorite college receiver of all time.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2019 01:38 PM by invisiblehand.)
09-04-2019 01:36 PM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I root for UCF. I lived in Birmingham for a few years and became a casual Alabama fan, mainly due to the hilariously insane fanhood of Alabama fans. This was when they were very mediocre. They hired Saban around the time I moved away. I lost any affinity I had for Bama over how they have reacted to UCFs achievements.
09-04-2019 01:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.