UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Free Talk Friday - 8/30
GoBlazers468 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB
Free Talk Friday - 8/30
I figure now that the season is back up and running, I would start Free Talk Friday back up.

I'm so glad football is back! Obviously I watched the game last night, and now tonight I am going to the Nevada - Purdue game. It should be a whole lot of fun.

I'm ready for it to cool off. Fall is by far my favorite season. I saw that Cahaba has released their Oktoberfest, it really makes me miss being back in Birmingham. My buddy is trying to get me to go to Oktoberfest in Munich this year but it's so expensive.

Do you guys think we are legitimately going to go into a recession? I just sold all my stocks just in case. Figured if things go bad I would rather have a paid off car and credit card than crappy stock.
08-30-2019 10:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Free Talk Friday - 8/30
We seem to have a good start on the 2020 recruiting class. We really need OL and DL help it seems. It takes time to develop HS players at those positions (except those that power teams salivate over), so I suspect we will continue to recruit JC guys. For the OL quality is probably more important than depth(aside from possible injury concerns) which is vitally important for the DL. The OL had problems getting push against ASU, but some of that may have to do with ASU playing 8-9 in the box to stop the run(as HCBC indicated on the post game show). We went long to get them out of t, but we didn't hit the passes so they stayed in that defense.

I see where frosh Alex Wright played meaningful minutes last night. He's a big DE/OLB with real potential who had P5 offers. I'm glad he's getting in there. He could be a special player for us in the future.

I like the burst and change-of-pace that Haden brings, but it should be done in spurts rather than in a series as the lead back. Change of pace backs are more effective when the defense gets "comfortable" with the pace of the bugger back(Spencer) and a smaller quicker back comes in a surprises them.

Tyles didn't have the best night last night, but some of that is on the receivers, especially on the long balls. Admittedly, he missed a couple of those, but also had a drop or two. He was barely off on a couple, too. I expect this to improve as the season goes along and the training camp legs give way to regular season legs and receivers speed pick up a little.

I'm a big proponent of using the TEs as pass catchers. We seem to use ours as more blockers than anything. You almost know when we're NOT gonna throw to the TE based on who is in tha game. Hopefully, we'll incorporate the TE more as the sason goes along. In that same vein, I'd like to see Rajae Johnson line up as TE once or twice a game. He has near TE size (6'4", 225lbs) and, presumably, is faster than the typical TE. As his body matures he may actually grow into one anyway.
08-30-2019 10:53 AM
GoBlazers468 Offline
2nd String

(08-30-2019 10:53 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  We seem to have a good start on the 2020 recruiting class. We really need OL and DL help it seems. It takes time to develop HS players at those positions (except those that power teams salivate over), so I suspect we will continue to recruit JC guys. For the OL quality is probably more important than depth(aside from possible injury concerns) which is vitally important for the DL. The OL had problems getting push against ASU, but some of that may have to do with ASU playing 8-9 in the box to stop the run(as HCBC indicated on the post game show). We went long to get them out of t, but we didn't hit the passes so they stayed in that defense.

I see where frosh Alex Wright played meaningful minutes last night. He's a big DE/OLB with real potential who had P5 offers. I'm glad he's getting in there. He could be a special player for us in the future.

I like the burst and change-of-pace that Haden brings, but it should be done in spurts rather than in a series as the lead back. Change of pace backs are more effective when the defense gets "comfortable" with the pace of the bugger back(Spencer) and a smaller quicker back comes in a surprises them.

Tyles didn't have the best night last night, but some of that is on the receivers, especially on the long balls. Admittedly, he missed a couple of those, but also had a drop or two. He was barely off on a couple, too. I expect this to improve as the season goes along and the training camp legs give way to regular season legs and receivers speed pick up a little.

I'm a big proponent of using the TEs as pass catchers. We seem to use ours as more blockers than anything. You almost know when we're NOT gonna throw to the TE based on who is in tha game. Hopefully, we'll incorporate the TE more as the sason goes along. In that same vein, I'd like to see Rajae Johnson line up as TE once or twice a game. He has near TE size (6'4", 225lbs) and, presumably, is faster than the typical TE. As his body matures he may actually grow into one anyway.

I like those little play action flairs we do with the TE's. We did them a lot with Pittman last year and did one last night with Blakes. If they are in man and the WR clears out that sideline area it's usually good for 5-7 before the LB can get out there to tackle.

I still can't believe Mitchell dropped that wide open touchdown on the long ball last night. I think my neighbors heard my groan

It felt like we had more than 3 sacks last night. I can't believe Street got one in his first game!
08-30-2019 12:07 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

We aren't going into a recession. We have been going into an anti-Trump anti-America movement since Trump was nominated.

The Feds are trying to force us into hard times by jacking up interest rates.
08-30-2019 12:27 PM
Leather Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Blazers
Why no Kris Moll last night?
08-30-2019 01:10 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Coach held him out of the first half (for medical reasons I think)
Decided to hold him out of the 2nd half as well.

I'm guessing he will be back next week.
08-30-2019 01:20 PM
Leather Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Blazers
Also noticed Mofar did not play in first half[/align]
08-30-2019 01:27 PM
Advertisement

BlazinBham Offline
Banned

Even Spencer didn’t play all that much last night. We could be easily standing in WKUs shoes. Stop pus$y-footing the offense. Just go play ball. Damn-near lost the game because the offense couldn’t flip the switch in the second half. D somehow bailed us out.

Will be at Cullman-Mortimer Jordan tonight. Having to swap between Jordan and Brookwood throughout the season as family plays in both bands.

Excited about AEW’s All Out tomorrow night. Think it’s a $50 PPV, though. Sheesh. The things we’ll do in hopes of good entertainment.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2019 01:34 PM by BlazinBham.)
08-30-2019 01:33 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

No passes towards anywhere except the sidelines.
No passes to tight ends.
No big desire to do anything outside of winning the game.
No idea that we would turn the ball over like we did, have the penalties that we did or give up the big plays that we did.
08-30-2019 01:53 PM
Advertisement

GoBlazers468 Offline
2nd String

(08-30-2019 01:53 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  No passes towards anywhere except the sidelines.
No passes to tight ends.
No big desire to do anything outside of winning the game.
No idea that we would turn the ball over like we did, have the penalties that we did or give up the big plays that we did.

We got so lucky that they ruled that toss to Parham as an incomplete pass instead of a fumble
08-30-2019 02:18 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
It was a shovel pass forward. Should have been an easy call.
08-30-2019 02:26 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Defining "Recession" depends on where you are looking and living and the level of your income. As a Witt once stated, "when my neighbor loses his job, it's a recession. When I lose MY job, it's a depression". The Minimum Wage and Hours Law (Fair Labor Standards Act) has been used to artificially hold down labor costs - the ONLY wage control Congress has - for the last few decades. Right now it starts at $2.65 per hour for food service workers and goes up to $7.25 for regular labor. Many types of workers are still not even covered by the law today (like agricultural migrant and domestic farm workers). For many such people we have been in a recession for many years.

Of course if you are among the 3 million Americans who make $1 million and more annually (almost 600 of these are among America's Billionaires), a downturn in the economy may be just a "speed bump" in your life style. Have you seen the Fisher Investment ad on TV where Fisher says "If you have $500,000 to invest we went to talk to you"?

Since the 1990s, the median individual annual wage of working Americans (half make more - half make less) has dropped from near $50,000 to under $40,000. Today a whole household's income is needed to equal individual income in the 1990s. This economic fact is China's "Ace in the hole" in dealing with America because their cheaper goods make life bearable for many "middle class" Americans who can't shop at Macy's, Sax 5th Avenue, Nordstrom and Belk on a regular basis. If prices at Wal Mart, Target etc. begin to resemble those stores, a lot of the "conservative poor" will get very angry.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2019 03:34 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
08-30-2019 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.