Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bowl win or conference championship?
Bookmark and Share
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
Bowl win or conference championship?
What would you rather see EMU do this year: win a bowl game or make and lose the MAC championship?
08-27-2019 06:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
RE: Bowl win or conference championship?
(08-27-2019 06:19 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  What would you rather see EMU do this year: win a bowl game or make and lose the MAC championship?

That's a tough one. Either option would be a big morale boost for this program. I'd have to look at it from a recruiting persective. MAC title would be a great bragging point with recruits, but does the impact of it fade as you get out of the MAC region? Bowl win gives you greater national profile, but depending on which bowl, how many people outside the competing teams' fanbase actually pay attention?

If you win the MAC title, you're going to be in a bowl, so being able to say you're MAC Champions and have been to a bowl game 3 of the last four years is big. I'd have to forgo the bowl win for the MAC title. 3 bowls in the last four years and a conference title show a program that is moving in the right direction and is making huge strides. Tell a recruit you get to be part of defending our title, and will likely go to a bowl sounds pretty damn appealing to me!

And it might even turn around some of the more vocal alumni naysayers....
08-27-2019 06:52 PM
easterneagles79 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EMU
How about a loss in the Mac championship and a bowl win the game after.
08-27-2019 06:54 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

If you were asking win a bowl game or win the MAC Championship, I would EASILY go with winning the MAC championship. Bowl losses are much easier to stomach if you've won the conference championship already.

But you're asking Bowl win vs. MAC Championship Game loss. I guess I'd still go with MAC Championship game loss, as at we've at least won the division and have a shot at winning a bowl game afterward (not sure if you're assuming we'd lose that too).
08-27-2019 07:04 PM
Advertisement

steve4840 Offline
1st String

Bowl Win all day. The national attention associated with playing in a bowl game and winning it is huge. I feel like a bowl game and a win in it would go further with national recruits who we rely in given in-state struggles.
08-27-2019 08:49 PM
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

Conference Championship. Hang a division banner.
08-28-2019 09:09 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(08-28-2019 09:09 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  Conference Championship. Hang a division banner.

I want to go to the MACC in Detroit. That would be huge for the program. We are the only school from the area (CMU, WMU, UT, BG) not to have made it.
08-28-2019 10:19 AM
Advertisement

Huron Boy Offline
2nd String

Easy - MAC Championship - one more hurdle to overcome
08-28-2019 01:52 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
CC got a beard so we will do both.
08-28-2019 03:36 PM
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

I Root For: emu
Let’s see, do we want to be champions or win a consolation prize? By having so many bowl games, the prestige for going to or winning one has been seriously watered down.
08-28-2019 04:07 PM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

I'd rather win the MAC title and lose a bowl game than lose (or miss) the MAC title and win a bowl game
08-29-2019 08:53 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

Going to Detroit for the MACC would be a great thing for the program. Playing in Detroit before a national audience is as good as it gets. That is how to get on the radar with alums, Detroiters and recruits.

In the same vain, EMU needs to do all possible to engage the local media if after CCSU and CMU we are 5 - 1.

That would be a trio of games vs. CMU, BSU, and WMU. It would be nice if ESPN could do something for the WMU game.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2019 06:25 AM by emu steve.)
09-18-2019 06:24 AM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
(09-18-2019 06:24 AM)emu steve Wrote:  In the same vein, EMU needs to do all possible to engage the local media if after CCSU and CMU we are 5 - 1.

As a result of the past few years, and this year's win against the Illini, EMU Football has created a presence of mind among some of the hosts on 97.1 The Ticket. I will occasionally hear mention of EMU, often including a comment about what a great job CC has done slipped in, as they discuss the state of football in Michigan. Years ago EMU was only mentioned on-air as a joke. So that's progress.

MAC teams will never get the on-air front-of-mind presence that the B1G and P5 teams get, but if people start calling and throwing in mentions of EMU, we could get some traction, as EMU is a "local" Metro-Detroit presence. Witness the coverage Oakland University's basketball program has received over the past several years as they have built up some respectability. A solid winning record, a MAC championship, and/or a bowl win would go a long way toward creating a higher profile for EMU Football on Detroit sports talk radio. A few more players making marks in the NFL wouldn't hurt, either.
09-18-2019 07:26 AM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

(09-18-2019 07:26 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  
(09-18-2019 06:24 AM)emu steve Wrote:  In the same vein, EMU needs to do all possible to engage the local media if after CCSU and CMU we are 5 - 1.

As a result of the past few years, and this year's win against the Illini, EMU Football has created a presence of mind among some of the hosts on 97.1 The Ticket. I will occasionally hear mention of EMU, often including a comment about what a great job CC has done slipped in, as they discuss the state of football in Michigan. Years ago EMU was only mentioned on-air as a joke. So that's progress.

MAC teams will never get the on-air front-of-mind presence that the B1G and P5 teams get, but if people start calling and throwing in mentions of EMU, we could get some traction, as EMU is a "local" Metro-Detroit presence. Witness the coverage Oakland University's basketball program has received over the past several years as they have built up some respectability. A solid winning record, a MAC championship, and/or a bowl win would go a long way toward creating a higher profile for EMU Football on Detroit sports talk radio. A few more players making marks in the NFL wouldn't hurt, either.

With EMU football you really are trying to undo decades of futility. EMU has a winning record against 1 other MAC team (Buffalo). It takes time but at least we're on the right track. (A win against kent state will pull that series even)
09-18-2019 08:38 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(09-18-2019 08:38 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(09-18-2019 07:26 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  

With EMU football you really are trying to undo decades of futility. EMU has a winning record against 1 other MAC team (Buffalo). It takes time but at least we're on the right track. (A win against kent state will pull that series even)

Agree, but remember teams like the HOU Astros went from big time losers to World Series champs and their image immediately improved.

The question, in year four of our resurgence, is how high can we go this year? 8 wins? 9 wins? MACC game? etc.

Can we acquire the status of peer of Toledo and WMU?

Nine and three would make us the Cinderella team in MI.

https://medium.com/fosat/mac-football-ra...580d87b427
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2019 09:07 AM by emu steve.)
09-18-2019 08:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.