Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Florida State finally sees why UF isn't so fond of playing Miami
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Florida State finally sees why UF isn't so fond of playing Miami
This right here says volumes. And, I hate to say it from a rivalry standpoint, but I wouldn't be playing Miami for awhile because of this incident.

https://floridastate.rivals.com/news/fsu...ltercation
08-25-2019 11:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
RE: Florida State finally sees why UF isn't so fond of playing Miami
I am sure Alabama and Auburn have not had any rivalry issues. Miami is not a rivalry with UF, anyway.
08-25-2019 11:21 PM
DawgNBama Offline

Miami is the one who wants to keep this series going, which is a rivalry that has really cooled off, but incidents like this continue to give the university a black eye. UF plans on scrapping this series, if I'm not mistaken, and I can see why.
08-25-2019 11:34 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
They signed a H&H last week.
08-25-2019 11:37 PM
DawgNBama Offline

Ok, I guess the Gators are crazier than I expected them to be.
08-26-2019 12:03 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-25-2019 11:21 PM)sierrajip Wrote:  I am sure Alabama and Auburn have not had any rivalry issues. Miami is not a rivalry with UF, anyway.

Not since the 1920's.
08-26-2019 12:23 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-25-2019 11:07 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  This right here says volumes. And, I hate to say it from a rivalry standpoint, but I wouldn't be playing Miami for awhile because of this incident.

The article makes it sound like the Florida band director effectively started the altercation. The Miami fan was a little rude, cutting through the band, but the Florida director "tried to stop him."
08-26-2019 06:44 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(08-26-2019 06:44 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-25-2019 11:07 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  This right here says volumes. And, I hate to say it from a rivalry standpoint, but I wouldn't be playing Miami for awhile because of this incident.

The article makes it sound like the Florida band director effectively started the altercation. The Miami fan was a little rude, cutting through the band, but the Florida director "tried to stop him."

Notre Dame has the Irish Guard to protect their marching band. They're big dudes who manhandle people out of the band's way. No need for a wimpy band director to confront anyone.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2019 09:08 AM by Captain Bearcat.)
08-26-2019 09:08 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(08-26-2019 09:08 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

Notre Dame has the Irish Guard to protect their marching band. They're big dudes who manhandle people out of the band's way. No need for a wimpy band director to confront anyone.

[Image: irish_guard_library_cashore.jpg]
08-26-2019 09:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

They need to hire some Aggie's to defend their honor on the march out to the bus.

On second thought maybe not that guy.
08-26-2019 10:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul

Yeah, I didn’t take it as this necessarily being all the fault of Miami fans. In any event, it’s amusing to see the coverage from a Florida State site about a Miami-UF altercation. They’re about as objective on this matter as InfoWars.
08-26-2019 10:19 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-25-2019 11:21 PM)sierrajip Wrote:  I am sure Alabama and Auburn have not had any rivalry issues. Miami is not a rivalry with UF, anyway.

Actually, Miami and Florida have played almost as many times, 56, as FSU and Miami have, 63; and as Florida and FSU have, also 63.

Miami vs Florida predates FSU vs Miami, heck it also predates Florida vs FSU, and when the teams play, it certainly has a rivalry feel to it, as it did Saturday night.

Just because teams don't play every year doesn't mean they aren't rivals.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2019 11:19 AM by quo vadis.)
08-26-2019 11:13 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

The main reason Florida doesn't play Miami each year is that their schedule is already stacked. They play an SEC schedule*, enough said, plus have perennial power FSU as a permanent OOC game. Adding Miami permanently would just make the schedule too tough.

Nobody wants to admit it, but EVERY team needs a few cupcakes on the schedule as breather games.

* And one that isn't favorable, as the SEC forces them to play LSU every year as their one permanent cross-division game.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2019 11:21 AM by quo vadis.)
08-26-2019 11:17 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(08-26-2019 11:13 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Actually, Miami and Florida have played almost as many times, 56, as FSU and Miami have, 63; and as Florida and FSU have, also 63.

Miami vs Florida predates FSU vs Miami, heck it also predates Florida vs FSU, and when the teams play, it certainly has a rivalry feel to it, as it did Saturday night.

Just because teams don't play every year doesn't mean they aren't rivals.
FSU and UF played each other pre-1905 if you count the schools that became both of them.
08-26-2019 11:39 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

Yeah, this is a disturbingly bad take on things. The Band Director was thrown to the ground striking his head on the pavement, and a Florida band member was punched in the face. There was no report of anyone striking the Miami fans. It was a helluva lot more than rude. It crossed the line into an assault. And it was a group of Miami fans, not just one that was involved in the altercation.

The FSU band director is a friend of the UF band director. The germane point in all of this is that Florida should have assigned a couple of state troopers to the detail.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2019 12:35 PM by JRsec.)
08-26-2019 12:32 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
If you want to see fans angry at a college band come to Houston in a few weeks when Baylor visits the Rice MOB. They're still mad about last game.
08-26-2019 12:36 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California

The Florida band director stopped a female Miami fan from walking through the band. Sounds like maybe he grabbed her, and then her boyfriend or male friend flipped out and took down the band director.
08-26-2019 12:43 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(08-26-2019 11:17 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

The main reason Florida doesn't play Miami each year is that their schedule is already stacked. They play an SEC schedule*, enough said, plus have perennial power FSU as a permanent OOC game. Adding Miami permanently would just make the schedule too tough.

Nobody wants to admit it, but EVERY team needs a few cupcakes on the schedule as breather games.

* And one that isn't favorable, as the SEC forces them to play LSU every year as their one permanent cross-division game.

Not to mention UF plays UGA in Jacksonville every year. They have the FSU at home the years they only have 3 conference home games, so it creates a solidly aligned schedule.

To play another team home/home it means they only get 6 homes games. Obviously they are OK with doing that some years, but it isn't going to be something they sign up for every year.
08-26-2019 03:13 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
(08-26-2019 12:36 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  If you want to see fans angry at a college band come to Houston in a few weeks when Baylor visits the Rice MOB. They're still mad about last game.
Just make sure you keep all the rice girls off campus while that Baylor team is there
08-26-2019 03:52 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
(08-26-2019 03:13 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(08-26-2019 11:17 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Not to mention UF plays UGA in Jacksonville every year. They have the FSU at home the years they only have 3 conference home games, so it creates a solidly aligned schedule.

To play another team home/home it means they only get 6 homes games. Obviously they are OK with doing that some years, but it isn't going to be something they sign up for every year.

Ya, Florida would be playing
Miami
FSU
Georgia
LSU

...at minimum

I think a good idea would be to play every 4 years, so every senior class gets to play the rivalry once

You could apply the 4 year idea to Texas-Texas A&M, OU-Nebraska, Michigan-Notre Dame
08-26-2019 05:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.