Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A real US history book
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
A real US history book
https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/rediscove...n-history/

"...Nearly 20 years ago I wrote a small book called The Student’s Guide to U.S. History for ISI Books. I was unable to include in its bibliography a high school or college level textbook on U.S. history, because there was not one suitable for recommendation.

But criticism of the status quo is easy. What is harder is to create a better alternative. That was my aim in writing Land of Hope: An Invitation to the Great American Story....

Isn’t that marvelous? There’s so much to unpack in it, but of special relevance today is his rather rough denunciation of “that idiot delusion of the exceptional Now.” This phrase expresses something that nearly all of us who teach history run up against. It’s harder than usual today to get young people interested in the past because they are so firmly convinced that we’re living in a time so unprecedented, enjoying pocket-sized technologies that are so transformative, that there’s no point in looking at what went on in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. To them the past has been superseded—just as our present world is forever in the process of being superseded.

While this posture may be ill-informed and lazy, a way to justify not learning anything, it also represents a genuine conviction, amply reinforced by the endless passing parade of sensations and images in which we are enveloped—one thing always being succeeded by something else, nothing being permanent, nothing enduring, always moving, moving, moving into a new exceptional Now...."

Author concludes with the story of the surrender at Appomattox. Just a paragraph of that conclusion:

"Four days later, when Lee’s army of 28,000 men marched in to surrender their arms and colors, General Joshua L. Chamberlain of Maine, a hero of Gettysburg, was present at the ceremony. He later wrote of his observations that day, reflecting upon his soldierly respect for the men before him, each passing by and stacking his arms, men who only days before had been his mortal foes: “Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;—was not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured? . . . On our part not a sound of trumpet more, nor roll of drum; not a cheer, nor word nor whisper of vain-glorying, nor motion of man standing again at the order, but an awed stillness rather, and breath-holding, as if it were the passing of the dead!”"
08-25-2019 06:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeatNavy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Army
RE: A real US history book
I am not an author, but I've read quite a few history books. Why would an author even want to include a *textbook* in his or her bibliography?
08-26-2019 09:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Old Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
(08-26-2019 09:10 AM)BeatNavy Wrote:  I am not an author, but I've read quite a few history books. Why would an author even want to include a *textbook* in his or her bibliography?
Why wouldn't he? And the better question is; Why are students in this country cheated out of an accurate measure of this country's history?

Sent from my LG-H932 using CSNbbs mobile app
08-26-2019 09:27 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
My daughter graduated HS two years ago and she has no idea how a Bill becomes Law. Matter of fact she has no idea what a Bill is. I knew by the time I reached 1st grade.

08-26-2019 10:53 AM
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
What was taught to me in grade school they won't even touch in high school. We were creating topographical maps from flour with mountains and valleys and painting them accordingly. Spelling bees every week, (some of the posters here, Cons and Libs, would not have lasted too long in them as they are terrible spellers with grammar errors left and right, ha, ha, see what I did there? People even in the news use went for gone...a lot. I guess they don't like the word.
08-26-2019 02:34 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(08-26-2019 09:27 AM)Old Blue Wrote:  
(08-26-2019 09:10 AM)BeatNavy Wrote:  I am not an author, but I've read quite a few history books. Why would an author even want to include a *textbook* in his or her bibliography?
Why wouldn't he? And the better question is; Why are students in this country cheated out of an accurate measure of this country's history?

Victimhood is a prevailing theme in today's textbooks.
08-26-2019 03:20 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
I downloaded it today. Looks interesting so far through 2 chapters.
08-26-2019 08:34 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
If the United States falls it will be because of the proliferation of feeling over thought, the acclamation of the losers as victims, the declaration that the utterances of the crude are somehow art, and the tremendous amount of ignorance being acclaimed as learning.

In other words we will be dead mentally, emotionally, and culturally, long before an enemy brings it physically.
08-26-2019 08:44 PM
BeatNavy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Army
(08-26-2019 09:27 AM)Old Blue Wrote:  Why wouldn't he?

Because other history writers don't?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_source
08-27-2019 09:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Is it a real US history book because of the historiography or because you're likely to agree with it? One thing that's been a constant in America since the beginning is that history is only good history if you like it.
08-27-2019 02:36 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(08-27-2019 02:36 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  Is it a real US history book because of the historiography or because you're likely to agree with it? One thing that's been a constant in America since the beginning is that history is only good history if you like it.

Its true to the continuing spirit, not to the latest trends in history departments.

The progressives in NYC get a rebuttal of their view of history every day. Lady Liberty stares down on them, a French recognition of the gift the US gave the world.
08-27-2019 03:03 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
(08-26-2019 09:27 AM)Old Blue Wrote:  

Usually references come from direct primary research sources. It would be atypical to reference a review article in science for example, if you can more specifically reference the direct resource agent that came up with a knowledge source. It would be even more strange, to me at least, for a history book to reference another history book. Would lead to an odd perpetuance of miss-citation and probably weaken accuracy of data.

But that doesn't change his main point in that history books these days are crap. I do not disagree.

-edit- Beat Navy beat me to it -edit-
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2019 03:12 PM by JDTulane.)
08-27-2019 03:10 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
My grandson said of education today, specifically regarding history and social studies in general, that what used to be inches wide and feet deep is now feet wide and only inches deep meaning they skip over entire eras and important events as if they never happened.
08-28-2019 06:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.