Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

American Factory on Netflix
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
So today marks the debut of a new documentary on Netflix called American Factory. It's a look at the Fuyao Auto Glass factory in Ohio (I think it's on the outskirts of Dayton) that eventually replaced a shuttered GM plant a few years after the GM plant closed down. And of course it's getting a lot of publicity because it's being produced by Higher Ground Productions, which is the new filmmaking group founded by the Obamas (and being heavily subsidized by Netflix).

While I don't expect most of you to watch the documentary or praise it in any way, I of course did watch it today and thought it was really well done. And I'm going to offer up my review of it anyway.

First off, it's certainly political - I doubt anything the Obamas do will be apolitical. But I really don't see it as a direct knock against Trump at all. He's not mentioned in the documentary. I'd describe it more as a really interesting look at the contrast in culture between American workers and Chinese workers, and also a cautionary tale about automation in industry. It's also pro-union in a way, but it's also not really pro-union if that makes sense because (spoiler alert) Fuyao's workers overwhelmingly rejected a chance to join the UAW union.

The American version of the Fuyao factory suffered greatly compared to the productivity of the Chinese factories because Americans are deemed lazy by the Chinese. The Chinese workers gladly work 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week and at much higher levels during that time. Meanwhile, the American shifts are 8 hours and they work 5 days a week. The first half of the documentary really does a good job of showing the different cultures at work both in Ohio and China. The second half of the film talks more about the union vote and then eventually talks about how automation finally makes the American plant profitable at the end.

There were some interesting interviews during the film. One lady mentioned she made $29 an hour working for GM, and was down to about $12 an hour (to begin with - I think she got a bit of a raise later) at Fuyao pretty much doing the same thing.

If you work in a factory or an occupation that has a union, I think you'll like the film. I'm guessing future Obama content on Netflix might make some of you angry, but I don't think this documentary will anger anyone unless you're just annoyed with how much money Netflix has given their production company.
08-21-2019 08:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: American Factory on Netflix
(08-21-2019 08:17 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I doubt anything the Obamas do will be apolitical.
That has certainly been the case up until now. No reason, I guess, to think they’ll ever change.
08-21-2019 08:35 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
Them getting the huge deal from Netflix was one of many reasons I cancelled Netflix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
08-21-2019 08:54 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(08-21-2019 08:17 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  So today marks the debut of a new documentary on Netflix called American Factory. It's a look at the Fuyao Auto Glass factory in Ohio (I think it's on the outskirts of Dayton) that eventually replaced a shuttered GM plant a few years after the GM plant closed down. And of course it's getting a lot of publicity because it's being produced by Higher Ground Productions, which is the new filmmaking group founded by the Obamas (and being heavily subsidized by Netflix).

While I don't expect most of you to watch the documentary or praise it in any way, I of course did watch it today and thought it was really well done. And I'm going to offer up my review of it anyway.

First off, it's certainly political - I doubt anything the Obamas do will be apolitical. But I really don't see it as a direct knock against Trump at all. He's not mentioned in the documentary. I'd describe it more as a really interesting look at the contrast in culture between American workers and Chinese workers, and also a cautionary tale about automation in industry. It's also pro-union in a way, but it's also not really pro-union if that makes sense because (spoiler alert) Fuyao's workers overwhelmingly rejected a chance to join the UAW union.

The American version of the Fuyao factory suffered greatly compared to the productivity of the Chinese factories because Americans are deemed lazy by the Chinese. The Chinese workers gladly work 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week and at much higher levels during that time. Meanwhile, the American shifts are 8 hours and they work 5 days a week. The first half of the documentary really does a good job of showing the different cultures at work both in Ohio and China. The second half of the film talks more about the union vote and then eventually talks about how automation finally makes the American plant profitable at the end.

There were some interesting interviews during the film. One lady mentioned she made $29 an hour working for GM, and was down to about $12 an hour (to begin with - I think she got a bit of a raise later) at Fuyao pretty much doing the same thing.

If you work in a factory or an occupation that has a union, I think you'll like the film. I'm guessing future Obama content on Netflix might make some of you angry, but I don't think this documentary will anger anyone unless you're just annoyed with how much money Netflix has given their production company.

And yet our 4.3% of the global population cranks out over 25% of the world's goods.
08-21-2019 08:55 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-21-2019 08:17 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  So today marks the debut of a new documentary on Netflix called American Factory. It's a look at the Fuyao Auto Glass factory in Ohio (I think it's on the outskirts of Dayton) that eventually replaced a shuttered GM plant a few years after the GM plant closed down. And of course it's getting a lot of publicity because it's being produced by Higher Ground Productions, which is the new filmmaking group founded by the Obamas (and being heavily subsidized by Netflix).

That's what Democrats don't seem to understand. Hillary bragged about throwing a bunch of coal workers out of a job. Democrats all said, well there will be retraining. Blue collar workers understand what that means. It means IF you get a job, it will probably be 800 miles away, pay half the salary and have minimal or no benefits.
08-21-2019 08:56 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

Globalist mindset
08-21-2019 10:30 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
I'm close to canceling my netflix. Not because of anything the Obama's have done but more because there's so much foreign crap on there now. It's good to see leftists embracing capitalism so much though.
08-21-2019 10:51 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
That SOB is like this country’s herpes. Just when you think it’s gone for good it pops up again. The gift that keeps on giving.

Is it OK yet to criticize his azz yet or does his race card still provide protection after he moved down the street from The White House.

At the risk of being labeled a racist for treating St. Barack the same as I do any other politician, I say take a cue from the 43 old white guys before you and ride your black azz off into the sunset collecting your million dollar speaking engagement checks on your way out the door.

As for your political commercial on Netflix, I won’t be boycotting the network like the nutless, pink hat wearing, vegan vags from on The Left. I will simply not watch it; 8 years of your BS was enough.

PS tell Mike F.U.from America for us
08-22-2019 05:56 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(08-22-2019 05:56 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  At the risk of being labeled a racist for treating St. Barack the same as I do any other politician, I say take a cue from the 43 old white guys before you and ride your black azz off into the sunset collecting your million dollar speaking engagement checks on your way out the door.
I know what you mean, but the honest truth is that being an ex-president wasn’t that big a deal until very recently. Gerald Ford was really the first to start monetizing his status as an ex-POTUS in the 1977-1993 era. And then of course Clinton made it his mission in life to dredge up every nickel he could possibly find, from any possible source.

Little-known-fact: Ex-Presidents didn't get any kind of gov’t. pension until the 1950s. Then Truman started getting one because he had no other regular income.
08-22-2019 06:27 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(08-22-2019 05:56 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  That SOB is like this country’s herpes. Just when you think it’s gone for good it pops up again. The gift that keeps on giving.

Is it OK yet to criticize his azz yet or does his race card still provide protection after he moved down the street from The White House.

At the risk of being labeled a racist for treating St. Barack the same as I do any other politician, I say take a cue from the 43 old white guys before you and ride your black azz off into the sunset collecting your million dollar speaking engagement checks on your way out the door.

As for your political commercial on Netflix, I won’t be boycotting the network like the nutless, pink hat wearing, vegan vags from on The Left. I will simply not watch it; 8 years of your BS was enough.

PS tell Mike F.U.from America for us

As a Memphis Tiger fan one would think it very difficult for me to give you a +3 for this but as anything but a Lord Zero fan I was surprised at how easy it was. 04-cheers
08-22-2019 06:33 AM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
BTW as I said right away, I don't expect any of you to say anything positive about Obama. But I've read this documentary was a finished product and shown at some film festival before being picked up and distributed by Obama's production company. So again if any of you are in a blue collar industry and factory setting, I think you'd be interested in seeing it. IMO, it's not particularly biased against Republicans. In fact, the only politician to appear in it is Sherrod Brown and the Ohio Democratic Senator comes across looking like a bit of an ass in his brief appearance.
08-22-2019 06:44 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(08-21-2019 10:30 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Globalist mindset

Everything I've heard is that Chinese factory workers aren't very good. They're just cheap.
08-22-2019 08:10 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

Chinese quality is horrendous. I think anyone who sources food from China is crazy. They keep finding contaminants in various products. There was a National Geographic article on China a few years back. Entrepreneurs tend move their factory from town to town whenever the incentives run out.
08-22-2019 08:13 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Honestly FBO I haven't seen nor heard about it.. Unsure if I'll watch it.. I'm in the middle of a Seinfeld series watching when I'm watching TV and football season is about to start.
08-22-2019 08:18 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(08-22-2019 08:13 AM)bullet Wrote:  Chinese quality is horrendous. I think anyone who sources food from China is crazy. They keep finding contaminants in various products. There was a National Geographic article on China a few years back. Entrepreneurs tend move their factory from town to town whenever the incentives run out.

I’m old enough to remember the term “Japanese Junk”. Once the Chinese “get it” they’ll kick our azzes.
08-22-2019 08:25 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

Meanwhile,

Multiple island sources tell us the Obamas are in escrow for the estate owned by Boston Celtics owner, Wyc Grousbeck. The former Prez and First Lady have been renting the house this summer and loved it so much, we've learned they made an offer. The property is listed at $14,850,000. Our sources say they're paying less, but we don't know how much.
https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/22/barack-mi...s-vinyard/
08-22-2019 08:35 AM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(08-22-2019 08:35 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Meanwhile,

Multiple island sources tell us the Obamas are in escrow for the estate owned by Boston Celtics owner, Wyc Grousbeck. The former Prez and First Lady have been renting the house this summer and loved it so much, we've learned they made an offer. The property is listed at $14,850,000. Our sources say they're paying less, but we don't know how much.

Amazing what you can afford when you made $400k/year for 8 years and then make $200k after leaving office..

Wait.
08-22-2019 08:48 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(08-22-2019 08:48 AM)gdunn Wrote:  

Amazing what you can afford when you made $400k/year for 8 years and then make $200k after leaving office..

Wait.

I think their DC house was 8 Million.
08-22-2019 08:57 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(08-22-2019 08:57 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(08-22-2019 08:48 AM)gdunn Wrote:  

Wait.

I think their DC house was 8 Million.

I assume they still own it.
08-22-2019 08:59 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(08-22-2019 06:44 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  BTW as I said right away, I don't expect any of you to say anything positive about Obama. But I've read this documentary was a finished product and shown at some film festival before being picked up and distributed by Obama's production company. So again if any of you are in a blue collar industry and factory setting, I think you'd be interested in seeing it. IMO, it's not particularly biased against Republicans. In fact, the only politician to appear in it is Sherrod Brown and the Ohio Democratic Senator comes across looking like a bit of an ass in his brief appearance.

The fact that you say it's not particularly biased is what has me curious... that means its at least somewhat biased.... and I'm trying to figure out how.

The clear problem here seems to be (according to you) that Chinese workers work 60 hour highly productive weeks while Americans work 40 hour, less productive ones. The reason for the shuttering of the GM plant and the reduction in wages from 29 to 12 seems rather obvious in that light... and while automation can balance the work output, it doesn't balance the wages. It ABSORBS some of the wages. It raises some (or in this case, creates them often at a lower level) by eliminating others.

GM shut and this plant opened in no small part but because that was the only way to not have to pay union wages, and the market couldn't support that. NOW we have to get those jobs back, and if they aren't engaging in actions that artificially increase their prices like wage hikes, we have to under-cut them.

The only think political about it is what part the government plays in that.
The left support unions who overplayed their hands and cost people jobs, they're supporting significant artificial price increases which makes us less competitive, and they're complaining about Trump's trade war with China designed to level those few portions we can control... trade/tariffs. Republicans too have let China get away with murder for decades
08-22-2019 09:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.