Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Held our College Fantasy Draft tonight ... 22nd year
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Held our College Fantasy Draft tonight ... 22nd year
Held our College Fantasy League Draft tonight --- it's 22nd year.

12 players - 6 teams each (4 must be in the P5)

Clemson went 1 overall.
2 - Alabama
3 - Georgia
4 - Oklahoma
5 - Michigan
6 - Washington
7 - LSU
8 - Ohio State
9 - Utah
10 - Oregon
11 - Texas
12 - Florida

ACC teams --
13 Va Tech
16 Miami
17 Syracuse
21 Notre Dame (I know, not really ACC)
30 Virginia
40 NC State
44 Florida State
59 Pitt
69 Duke

I had the 10th pick overall -

10 - Oregon
15 - Army
34 - Minnesota
39 - UCLA
58 - Kansas State
63 - UAB

Got 4 teams I thought I could get, and hoping Chip Kelly does something in LA, and that the new coach at K-State surprises some people.

But it's College Football Season!! Gonna be fun!!
08-20-2019 10:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: Held our College Fantasy Draft tonight ... 22nd year
You've been doing a college football team draft since 1997?

We just started doing them on these boards a few years ago.

You must be doing it for the upcoming season since FSU went 44th and VT went 13th. VT with the easiest P5 schedule in the nation may finish in the top 15. Who knows?

If your metric is total wins, Army is a great pick. So would be Cincinnati, UCF, or Houston.

I think Pitt would have been a better pick than Kansas State and you couldn't pay me to pick UCLA while Chip Kelly is there. UAB could be a great sleeper pick. They've been doing well since they restarted football.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2019 11:08 PM by ChrisLords.)
08-20-2019 11:08 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
How does that work? Does the draft order change every round? What determines the winner? When does the "season" end? I'd never heard of the concept of drafting teams before.
08-21-2019 08:52 AM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(08-21-2019 08:52 AM)ken d Wrote:  How does that work? Does the draft order change every round? What determines the winner? When does the "season" end? I'd never heard of the concept of drafting teams before.

It's a traditional snake draft. Order is chosen based on previous year's results. So the last place team last year, got to choose their place in the draft order. (Usually the first 4 or 5 to choose take the top 4 or 5 spots, before you see people choose to be near the end of the draft, but there's some strategy here).

The basics are this:

You get 5 points for a win.
An extra 3 points for winning by 20.
An extra 3 points for beating a team ranked in the AP top 25.
An extra 3 points for beating someone else's owned team.

SO ... it's possible to earn 14 points in a game. If Miami beats Florida by more than 20 Saturday, that would be 14 points for that owner.

We added a wrinkle to the scoring several years ago, which has increased the owner involvement.

You can BONUS one game a week, to earn a flat 20 points. To win that BONUS, you have to do one of the 3 extras listed above (win by 20, beat another owned team, or beat a ranked team). BUT ... If you FAIL to do one of those 3 things, you get hit with a MINUS 10.

This is hilarious to watch unfold. It's kinda amazing how many times a team only wins by 19. And causes someone to get hit with a MINUS 10.

We've added a few other wrinkles to this over the years (undefeated season bonus points, one time a year SUPER BONUS, etc), but it has been a whole lot of fun, and gives you a reason to watch a helluva lot of college football.

It's a $50 entry fee.
Costs $5 to drop a team and pick up a new one.

- You can win $25 for the high score of the week (we do this for 10 weeks in the regular season)
- 60% of pool to 1st place
- 30% to 2nd place
- 10% to 3rd place
- $50 to the high score for "bowl week", of those players not in the top 3.

I've got a two page word doc laying out all these rules, if anyone wants to see the full dealio of how we set it up.

We have one guy as treasurer.
One guy commissioner (to run the draft and the add/drops thru the year).
One guy updating the spreadsheet for scoring each week.

It's a blast. We have a waiting list of dudes wanting to join our league. And have a handful of leagues created cuz they didn't wanna wait.
08-21-2019 09:51 AM
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(08-20-2019 11:08 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  You've been doing a college football team draft since 1997?

We just started doing them on these boards a few years ago.

You must be doing it for the upcoming season since FSU went 44th and VT went 13th. VT with the easiest P5 schedule in the nation may finish in the top 15. Who knows?

If your metric is total wins, Army is a great pick. So would be Cincinnati, UCF, or Houston.

I think Pitt would have been a better pick than Kansas State and you couldn't pay me to pick UCLA while Chip Kelly is there. UAB could be a great sleeper pick. They've been doing well since they restarted football.

Actually started in 1998, but this is the 22nd year when you count out each year from 98.

Yes ... this is for the upcoming season.

I laid out the basic rules in another post, but you are right -- I was hoping I could snag Army - they play 13 regular season games, and should get to a 14th with a bowl game. 1 game against Michigan, but the rest they could win ... we'll see.

Cincinnati went 31st
UCF went 14th
Houston went 70th but had been a high pick the last few years.

And I thought about Pitt a lot, but my ACC bias has burned me in the past. Kansas State returns a lot, and I'm rolling the dice on the new coach from North Dakota State taking that program over. But for the end of the 5th round, it's splitting hairs between those two.

My last pick of UAB was a toss up .... They have to replace some key pieces from last season. But they are in year 4 or 5 of Bill Clark's resurrection. And have quite a few seniors and juniors in their 2 deep.

Also considered Arkansas State, North Texas, and FIU strongly for this 6th round pick ... I think all of these teams will have good years. Arkansas State went at 67. North Texas went at 71. FIU is still available.
08-21-2019 10:01 AM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
This sounds very interesting.
08-21-2019 10:08 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(08-21-2019 10:01 AM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Houston went 70th but had been a high pick the last few years.

I changed my Houston / Oklahoma pick based on that information. I hadn't researched who Houston had coming back but if they were drafted that late, they probably don't have much coming back.
08-21-2019 11:15 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(08-21-2019 11:15 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(08-21-2019 10:01 AM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Houston went 70th but had been a high pick the last few years.

I changed my Houston / Oklahoma pick based on that information. I hadn't researched who Houston had coming back but if they were drafted that late, they probably don't have much coming back.

I don't know much about Houston, honestly.

Dana Holgerson doesn't inspire me much though. He could be awesome, but he could be average, so I stayed away from them for those reasons. Hey - they could be amazing. We'll see. Ed Oliver is no longer there, and he'd be a loss for ANY program.

So I'm taking a wait-and-see with Houston.
08-22-2019 10:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.