Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNT
vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH
UNT
Moved in a relative to UNT’s campus this past weekend, and after a few years since my last visit I have to say it’s grown a lot and they have certainly been improving all of their facilities.

Stadium still looks great think it was in 2011 or so they built it. UH had the record crowd for it for awhile not sure if that stands.

What’s new is they have an IPF and look like they’re upgrading basketball as well.

Denton is probably the closest thing other than Greenville to a college town in the AAC and I think when Houston plays UNT next month a lot of American fans will be surprised at the support behind the mean green.

I actually would have added them before Tulsa/Tulane but I suppose markets had more to do with that than programs and investment.

They’d be natural rivals for UH and SMU and if the AAC plans on moving to DFW don’t see how having another large public with almost 40k enrollment and nice facilities could hurt. UNT has decent market share in the Dallas area everyone knows of them they’re just rarely good but that could change, they’re no worse than UConn is, actually quite a bit better, and like I said it’s an actual college town with decent support.

Side note: Underpass before their campus off I-35 has a big eagle seal that lights up at night neon green.. perks of being in a college town your city actually cares about marketing you. UH just has the generic green sign “Cullen Blvd University of houston exit only” or something.

Boy I’m tired of offseason.
08-19-2019 11:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SMUleopold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Guess, genius..
RE: UNT
(08-19-2019 11:02 PM)vcoog Wrote:  They’d be natural rivals for UH and SMU

Hard pass.
08-19-2019 11:08 PM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
The Mean Green. They don’t have a baseball team. I know that much about them. A decent football program in Conference USA.
08-19-2019 11:43 PM
Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
(08-19-2019 11:02 PM)vcoog Wrote:  Moved in a relative to UNT’s campus this past weekend, and after a few years since my last visit I have to say it’s grown a lot and they have certainly been improving all of their facilities.

Stadium still looks great think it was in 2011 or so they built it. UH had the record crowd for it for awhile not sure if that stands.

What’s new is they have an IPF and look like they’re upgrading basketball as well.

Denton is probably the closest thing other than Greenville to a college town in the AAC and I think when Houston plays UNT next month a lot of American fans will be surprised at the support behind the mean green.

I actually would have added them before Tulsa/Tulane but I suppose markets had more to do with that than programs and investment.

They’d be natural rivals for UH and SMU and if the AAC plans on moving to DFW don’t see how having another large public with almost 40k enrollment and nice facilities could hurt. UNT has decent market share in the Dallas area everyone knows of them they’re just rarely good but that could change, they’re no worse than UConn is, actually quite a bit better, and like I said it’s an actual college town with decent support.

Side note: Underpass before their campus off I-35 has a big eagle seal that lights up at night neon green.. perks of being in a college town your city actually cares about marketing you. UH just has the generic green sign “Cullen Blvd University of houston exit only” or something.

Like to offer a state flagship first. Academic snobbery has a certain appeal.
08-19-2019 11:50 PM
vcoog Offline
All American

(08-19-2019 11:08 PM)SMUleopold Wrote:  

Hard pass.

Haha they’d turn SMU into Dallas’s version of rice.. but without the academic prestige and a smaller stadium.

TCU is going to stop playing you since they only have 3 non conference games so you might as well embrace your neighbors in Denton.

Btw I see the new indoor at smu too.. props for that it looks nice and fits well in the campus.
08-20-2019 12:06 AM
deb025 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(08-19-2019 11:02 PM)vcoog Wrote:  Moved in a relative to UNT’s campus this past weekend, and after a few years since my last visit I have to say it’s grown a lot and they have certainly been improving all of their facilities.

Not anymore, Louisiana Tech has the record crowd now. Ahead of SMU and Houston and not even in the same state. 05-nono

1. 30,105 Louisiana Tech September 29, 2018
L 27–29 (Tech won)
2. 29,515 SMU September 1, 2018
W 46-23 (UNT won)
3. 28,075 Houston September 10, 2014
L 23-48 (Houston won)
08-20-2019 01:05 AM
Advertisement

Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
(08-20-2019 01:05 AM)deb025 Wrote:  

Not anymore, Louisiana Tech has the record crowd now. Ahead of SMU and Houston and not even in the same state. 05-nono

1. 30,105 Louisiana Tech September 29, 2018
L 27–29 (Tech won)
2. 29,515 SMU September 1, 2018
W 46-23 (UNT won)
3. 28,075 Houston September 10, 2014
L 23-48 (Houston won)

Maybe not the same state but isn’t LT closer than Houston. I know Shreveport is and you all have a lot of fans there.
08-20-2019 05:08 AM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
This is SMU's call. If SMU argues that UNT works well with what the school wishes (for example- A local rival) and improves the AAC, I am for this.
08-20-2019 06:45 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
UNT
(08-20-2019 12:06 AM)vcoog Wrote:  
(08-19-2019 11:08 PM)SMUleopold Wrote:  

Hard pass.

Haha they’d turn SMU into Dallas’s version of rice.. but without the academic prestige and a smaller stadium.

TCU is going to stop playing you since they only have 3 non conference games so you might as well embrace your neighbors in Denton.

Btw I see the new indoor at smu too.. props for that it looks nice and fits well in the campus.

I’ll make you a bet, a long term extension will be announced.
08-20-2019 07:12 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
UNT
(08-20-2019 06:45 AM)chess Wrote:  This is SMU's call. If SMU argues that UNT works well with what the school wishes (for example- A local rival) and improves the AAC, I am for this.

How is this our call? We are one of 11 votes. It will matter to Houston too, oh and LA Tech will never be on the list unlike UNT.
08-20-2019 07:14 AM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
Vcoog is obviously being paid by unt lobbyists or George Soros
Unt or Texas st is ok by me but the Florida twins will never go for it, they want there own Florida schools like fau and Florida tarpon st...
08-20-2019 07:34 AM
Advertisement

Magic95Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Texas
This thread is legit and UNT fans are by no means responsible for financially compensating the OP...
08-20-2019 09:04 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Isn't Denton part of the DFW metro area?
08-20-2019 09:16 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Shame on Pony deleting my post.
08-20-2019 09:24 AM
vcoog Offline
All American

(08-20-2019 09:04 AM)Magic95Fan Wrote:  This thread is legit and UNT fans are by no means responsible for financially compensating the OP...

Lol didn’t mean to start a conspiracy.

Was more that I actually spent some time up there and was surprised at the investment to campus , new dorms buildings and athletic improvements.

As far as LA Tech and the stadium record crowd, I think it’s more that UNT fans and students are going to games now than it was who is the visiting team. That game was the next home game after UNT went to Arkansas and rolled them. That punt return was an espn top 10 last season.

If UNT can start selling out that stadium playing ole dominion and Charlotte they could build a great atmosphere if they got a top 25 team in a few times a year.
08-20-2019 09:30 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
They can't possibly be any worse than UConn in football.

Not for it, but could live with it. Agree they have positives they would bring to table (as would a host of other programs).

My personal favorite from among the realistic candidates is Old Dominion. Their new stadium, while small, is very nice.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2019 10:35 AM by BullsFanInTX.)
08-20-2019 09:40 AM
Advertisement

Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
Weren't they the team that Scott Bakula and Sinbad played for in "Necessary Roughness" ?
08-20-2019 09:44 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(08-20-2019 09:40 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  They can't possibly be any words than UConn in football.

Not for it, but could live with it. Agree they have positives they would bring to table (as would a host of other programs).

My personal favorite from among the realistic candidates is Old Dominion. Their new stadium, while small, is very nice.

I'll give you words.
08-20-2019 09:49 AM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Should I make a thread for Toledo, since they are in Ohio? I'm not sure yet, how this game is played. LMK
08-20-2019 10:04 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
UNT
(08-20-2019 09:44 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  Weren't they the team that Scott Bakula and Sinbad played for in "Necessary Roughness" ?

That’s a bingo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-20-2019 10:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.