Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TU recruiting???
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I read on another board, about JUCO's, that a guy Tulsa was recruiting(maybe) picked another school. I checked on the Tulsa Rivals board and that's what they are saying too!! Did Tulsa ever offer this guy or just talk to him?? Unfortunately our record next year may not determine JP's fate!! One year with no, pretty good, 4-year recuits is one thing but if we lose a bunch of recruiting battles next year, similar to this year, I think obviously, the nails will be driven in the coffin before the season ever gets started!!! We have 2 or 3 scholarships from this year and 2 or 3 for November, if we don't come up with 2 or 3 pretty strong 4 year recruits out of all those scholarships, we will be living the JUCO route for a long time and I don't think the alumni will buy that!!! If you can't recruit, you can't coach unfortunately!!
04-14-2004 11:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

With David Padgett leaving Kansas, a freshman that started 19 games, plus two other Kansas players that are transferring and the UTEP players that got their release, we should be busy talking to several of these players. All of these players have 3 or 4 years left instead of the two year JUCO players. There really aren't that many schools that have open scholarships at this time so what's our problem. If we can't get recruits when 90% of the schools have used up their scholarships, what's going to happen in Nov. when we are competing with everyone again!!!!!!!??????
04-16-2004 08:31 AM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I don't mean to be negative when I mention recruiting because if we get even one pretty strong player during this spring period and a couple of pretty strong players in November, I think most people with relax considerably!!! My concern seems to be are we really trying for the top players, such as these transfers or getting the top JUCO's. Now, I look in the paper Sunday and it list the Top Area, that''s North Texas, players on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd team. Obviously Tulsa isn't listed by any of the seniors, since we didn't get any Nov signees, but we are also not mentioned by any of the juniors, this Nov. recruits!! :bang: Dallas/North Texas has to be considered prime recruiting country territory for Tulsa and we have players from the area, but it would appear we will go two years in a row without making a dent in potential recruits and there are some good ones, not just the top 2 or 3!!! It's just these little things that worry people-------- just a little!!!
04-19-2004 10:26 AM
Advertisement

4tu2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Well I did find this on a Cincinnati recruiting site about Ryan Boyd, a 6'2" junior SG at Seagoville HS in Dallas:

03/19/04: "The list of schools that Boyd is hearing from is lengthy and includes Cincinnati, Tulsa, Wyoming, Louisville, UNC-Wilmington, Texas A&M, Pepperdine, Oklahoma, Colorado State, N.C. State and North Carolina. He has an early preference based on style. "I like Cincinnati, the way they play, their running style. I think I would be a good fit in that type of offense. Also, who will be recruited in my class and come in with me and academics? I want the school to have a strong recruiting class and I'm willing and ready to travel." - http://www.PrepStars.com

03/15/04: "I'd say the schools that are recruiting me the hardest are Louisville, Kansas, Oklahoma, North Carolina State, Colorado State, Cincinnati, Tulsa, Illinois, and North Carolina,
04-19-2004 07:02 PM
Cane Gang Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

There are a number of players transferring out of their current school. The starting center for Illinois State, who is a sophomore and their leading rebounder and second leading scorer, is looking to transfer.

And don't forget the news this week about DeAngelo Alexander transferring from OU. :eek:

There are several good players out there to be had.
04-20-2004 09:57 AM
Advertisement

jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

There maybe a reason why some of the JUCO players are not signing as fast as some might like!! The 5/8 rule will very likely be done away with well before the end of the Spring signing period and if that happens a number of schools will have additional scholarships available right now. I'm sure those schools have contacted the JUCO players and told them if the 5/8 rule is discarded, they could have a scholarship for them. Examples of this, both OU and OSU would have additional schollies right now along with many other schools!! So we might be seeing some JUCO's not signing now so they can wait and see who else offers them after the 5/8 rule is gone!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
04-23-2004 08:38 AM
Nevadanatural Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa

I think that scenario is entirely possible. Who knows what the high profile coaches are telling players.

As far as transfers go, any transfer player would have to sit out a year and while they all have great potential, such as Padgett, they all still need to develop to be topnotch players. If we signed them they wouldn't be able to help us until 2005 or 2006 and if the current players didn't develop as I hope they will then the fans would be ready to lynch JP in the middle of downtown.
04-23-2004 09:55 AM
Advertisement

Cane Gang Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Nevadanatural Wrote:I think that scenario is entirely possible. Who knows what the high profile coaches are telling players.

As far as transfers go, any transfer player would have to sit out a year and while they all have great potential, such as Padgett, they all still need to develop to be topnotch players. If we signed them they wouldn't be able to help us until 2005 or 2006 and if the current players didn't develop as I hope they will then the fans would be ready to lynch JP in the middle of downtown.
True enough. But if they can look over at the bench and see Pagett and Alexander sitting over there in street clothes ready to help the next year, they might calm down...

But you're absolutely correct that we need to win next year or Phillips is handing out resumes at the Final Four.
04-23-2004 10:16 AM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I think JP's biggest challenge is to decide who starts and how the remaining minutes are distributed because of the number of qualified players. I have a hard time trying to decide how I would do it with the addition of Davis. If another quality player is added it would really make the minutes tight. In my guessing, as to how I would do it, I'm assuming Gonzo will play like the top 5 Juco center that he was rated by several services. Gonzo gets 30 minutes and gets 11 pts and 8 reb. Davis plays power forward, 28 mins, 12 pts and 8 reb. Glenn plays SF and gets 30 mins, 12 pts and 6 reb. PG is tough, McDade 26 mins, 10 pts 4 asst. SG, Collins, 30 mins, 16 pts and 4 reb. Cardwell, 10 mins. Price10 mins, Teich12 mins, and Kelley 24 minutes, PG and SG. See, I solved how all the minutes would be distributed in 5 minutes, I don't know why these coaches bother with practices and evaluations. :rofl: I'm not a big Price fan as you can tell even though he scores some points once in a while. Playing center and Power forward for 28+ in several games and NOT getting a single rebound puts his butt on my bench for a long time!!!!!!!! Teich may be the best player on the team this year, but unfortunately Glenn is the heart of this team and Teich will play behind him. I would have no problem playing Teich at SG sometimes against a bigger SG with limited quickness. The simplified minutes for each player I've used also should probably include some minutes for Teich at PF. Maybe Teich even starts at PF and Davis is the 6 th man off the bench replacing both Gonzo and Teich for about 22 minutes a game and Price only plays if there is foul trouble. I'm glad all this is JP's problem and he doesn't have to be too concerned---just his job depends on it this year! :eek: At least he has some tough decisions to make, that should give him some hope!!
04-23-2004 10:41 AM
Advertisement

Catbird Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I don't think it is so much what JP decides - as much as it is which of the players rise to the top. If there are any who don't feel they need to apply maximum effort this summer and every step of the way - the decisions will be easy.

The only thing that will make JP's decision on PT difficult is if every player comes in ready to tear off chunks of raw meat with their teeth - or if nobody does.

As is often the case, the players will determine their own destiny as far as PT goes.
04-23-2004 02:26 PM
Cane Gang Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

I think that's a pretty good assessment, Catbird.

Believe me, having too many quality players fighting for minutes is a problem I'd like to have. :D
04-23-2004 02:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.