ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU vs Norfolk State
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
ODU vs Norfolk State
Only three weeks out, but it seems appropriate to start the thread. This needs to be a dominate win - just like the last fcs playoff game. Anything less is extremely disappointing - and Wilder better pack his bags if this is a loss. The opening loss to liberty last year still hurts...but this is Norfolk State. No excuses on opening day in our new stadium.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2019 10:44 PM by ODUDJ96.)
08-10-2019 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
RE: ODU vs Norfolk State
(08-10-2019 09:26 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  Only three weeks out, but it seems appropriate to start the thread. This needs to be a dominate win - just like the last fcs play:cheers:off game. Anything less is extremely disappointment - and Wilder better pack his bags if this is a loss. The opening loss to liberty last year still hurts...but this is Norfolk State. No excuses on opening day in our new stadium.

I am cautiously optimistic about our defense as I am very impressed with Blackwell. Personnel wise, our DBs look good as do our LBs.
If the Dline gels, we should hold NSU to under 14.

What we do on offense will be largely dependent on the OL.
If the offensive line run blocks well, expect Lala and Strong to have a big day, with Robert Washington getting much needed playing time as well.
If the OL is not where it needs to be, the offense will be all about the QB, who will need to both pass and run.
Whether the OL is up to speed or not, I expect to see both Smartt and deWeaver getting plenty of snaps.
While our WRs are still a question mark, I believe that they will be more than adequate vs NSU.

I have heard that we will be OK with the kicking game.
I have no idea about kickoff/punt returns, or coverage of both.

It is otherwise it is too early to look at matchups and schemes.

As noted above, we need to completely dominate on both sides of the ball. If we falter on either, we are in for long and disappointing season.

With that, ODU 48, NSU 10
EDIT: Any closer will be a fail, as NSU is predicted to finish 7th of 9 in the MEAC.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2019 10:47 PM by ODUalum78.)
08-10-2019 10:36 PM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

We lose to Norfolk State I will personally pack Bobby Wilder into the trunk of my car and run him back to Waterville as quick as you can say Dirigo!!
08-10-2019 11:22 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(08-10-2019 11:22 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  We lose to Norfolk State I will personally pack Bobby Wilder into the trunk of my car and run him back to Waterville as quick as you can say Dirigo!!

LOL. You are at least taking him back to his Home State. If it happens he should be canned on the field but i doubt that happens. I meant both losing to NSU and us firing him on the field.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2019 12:15 AM by 12thmonarch.)
08-11-2019 12:14 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
We will beat Norfolk State handily.
08-11-2019 08:53 AM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
(08-10-2019 10:36 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(08-10-2019 09:26 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  Only three weeks out, but it seems appropriate to start the thread. This needs to be a dominate win - just like the last fcs play:cheers:off game. Anything less is extremely disappointment - and Wilder better pack his bags if this is a loss. The opening loss to liberty last year still hurts...but this is Norfolk State. No excuses on opening day in our new stadium.

I am cautiously optimistic about our defense as I am very impressed with Blackwell. Personnel wise, our DBs look good as do our LBs.

If the offensive line run blocks well, expect Lala and Strong to have a big day, with Robert Washington getting much needed playing time as well.
If the OL is not where it needs to be, the offense will be all about the QB, who will need to both pass and run.
Whether the OL is up to speed or not, I expect to see both Smartt and deWeaver getting plenty of snaps.
While our WRs are still a question mark, I believe that they will be more than adequate vs NSU.

As noted above, we need to completely dominate on both sides of the ball. If we falter on either, we are in for long and disappointing season.

EDIT: Any closer will be a fail, as NSU is predicted to finish 7th of 9 in the MEAC.

We are getting pretty big 78, we have one linebacker 6'3" and 240lbs.
08-11-2019 10:47 AM
Advertisement

ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

(08-11-2019 08:53 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  We will beat Norfolk State handily.

From your mouth to my ears. Aggie, you always know what to say to get me ready for ODU Football. See ya in a few weeks.
08-11-2019 01:54 PM
ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

We can do it!!!
08-11-2019 06:14 PM
GotLabradors Offline
Special Teams

Is there even a depth chart yet? Y'all are going to be too exhausted from posting your armchair analysis to even make it to the game at this rate.
08-11-2019 07:46 PM
ODUalum78 Offline

(08-11-2019 07:46 PM)GotLabradors Wrote:  

Is there even a depth chart yet? Y'all are going to be too exhausted from posting your armchair analysis to even make it to the game at this rate.

Isn't that what these boards and Ourlads are for? 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2019 07:56 PM by ODUalum78.)
08-11-2019 07:54 PM
CalODUFan Online
All American

This is my informed depth chart at this point:

QB: Smartt (more accurate and better runner), deWeaver
RB: Davis, Washington, Strong, (Geiger banged up)
WR: Kumah, S. Williams (surprisingly good), Patterson, Spencer, Harvey (weakest group)
TE: Anthony, Cunningham (he is underwhelming so far)
OL: Weaver ©, Kounta (LT), Saldiveri (RT), Barnett (LG), Muller (RG) (group looking pretty good)

DL: Haynes (bandit), Meiser, Ross, K. White/Wilder
LB: Garner, Young
S: Brewton, Richardson, Moss/Scott
CB: Boykin, Ford-Dement, Brocchini, G. Hall (nickel) (strong group)
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2019 10:03 PM by CalODUFan.)
08-11-2019 08:31 PM
Advertisement

MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

Is this the OFFICIAL GAME THREAD?

Concerned fans need to know.
08-12-2019 08:17 AM
ODUalum78 Offline

(08-11-2019 08:31 PM)CalODUFan Wrote:  

WR: Kumah, S. Williams (surprisingly good), Patterson, Spencer, Harvey (weakest group)
OL: Weaver ©, Kounta (LT), Saldiveri (RT), Barnett (LG), Muller (RG) (group looking pretty good)

Knowing that there may be changes in the next three weeks, except for SW being first team at WR, you have confirmed pretty much what we expected based on reporting, hints, and tidbits from insiders.
Thanks!
04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2019 09:15 AM by ODUalum78.)
08-12-2019 09:07 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-11-2019 08:31 PM)CalODUFan Wrote:  

Are we really gonna go with 2 linebackers and 3 safeties again?

Williams is still playing a lot of QB. If they really think he can contribute at WR, they need to move him there permanently.

Im also hearing really good things about Washington.

Im also somewhat concerned that if Smartt is the QB if we will have a threat of a downfield passing game. Maybe thats best for now though that the offense is more running oriented.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2019 10:05 AM by Gilesfan.)
08-12-2019 10:03 AM
Punk Offline
1st String

Ed breaks down the position battles...

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/o...41b76.html
08-12-2019 10:35 AM
booman Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NSU
There will not be an upset on 8/31. We still have Scott. We still run 3-4 plays. He wont prepare the O-Line to play in noise. ODU 45- NSU 3. Hopefully y'all allow the Legion to come.
08-14-2019 07:49 AM
Advertisement

MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

(08-14-2019 07:49 AM)booman Wrote:  There will not be an upset on 8/31. We still have Scott. We still run 3-4 plays. He wont prepare the O-Line to play in noise. ODU 45- NSU 3. Hopefully y'all allow the Legion to come.

I definitely hope the Legion is there. Love their energy.

As for your score prediction - I think you are shortchanging your team. I think we will win, but I do not see us blowing it out that badly.
08-14-2019 08:20 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(08-14-2019 07:49 AM)booman Wrote:  There will not be an upset on 8/31. We still have Scott. We still run 3-4 plays. He wont prepare the O-Line to play in noise. ODU 45- NSU 3. Hopefully y'all allow the Legion to come.

Two things I wish ODU did comparable to NSU, band and dancers. 07-coffee3

Our new spirit squad coordinator aka cheerleader/dance coach should improve greatly compared to years past.
08-14-2019 09:41 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

We have so many changes; both personnel and scheme (heck, even stadium) that it is hard for me to expect a ton in the first game. I think we win, but I'm not convinced that it will be easy from the start.
08-14-2019 09:46 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
Knowing what we've done in the past, the Legion is definitely welcome. I would be shocked if they weren't. I will never forget our first game against each other in the FCS playoffs, hearing the band never stop was super impressive and stuck with me ever since
08-14-2019 09:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.