Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EDU
Bookmark and Share
Springboromark Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
EDU
What happen to EDU, if he is injured, how long is he out?
08-08-2019 09:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
RE: EDU
Out for the year. Wrecked his knee.
08-08-2019 11:20 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-08-2019 11:20 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Out for the year. Wrecked his knee.

UT has done a poor job of reporting how the surgery went and what rehab is happening.
08-09-2019 03:58 AM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-09-2019 03:58 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(08-08-2019 11:20 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Out for the year. Wrecked his knee.

UT has done a poor job of reporting how the surgery went and what rehab is happening.
It's his medical situation and not necessarily public right to know info. It was a bad injury. Best case scenario is he's starting to do full speed contact stuff around the time the season ends and can be fairly comfortable on the leg by 20-21. Still, it's a grueling rehab and there could be setbacks or complications.
08-09-2019 04:47 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets

HIPPA
08-09-2019 06:08 AM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-09-2019 06:08 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

HIPPA

I believe athletes sign a release that allows all types of information about themselves, including medical, to be released.
08-09-2019 07:42 AM
Rocket Pirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: Seton Hall
Schools don't have to report injuries if they don't want to, and I don't have a problem with that. Outside of satisfying curiosity, what's there to gain telling people details about Edu's injury at this point in time?

https://www.si.com/2019/08/07/college-fo...ry-reports
08-09-2019 11:57 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-09-2019 11:57 AM)Rocket Pirate Wrote:  Schools don't have to report injuries if they don't want to, and I don't have a problem with that. Outside of satisfying curiosity, what's there to gain telling people details about Edu's injury at this point in time?

How serious was the injury, what was the surgery, how long is the recovery? I'd like to know if he will be 100% for the 2020-21 season or will he be 80% or have chronic problems. Certainly affects recruiting strategy.
08-09-2019 01:19 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

There were at least two (maybe more) threads on this board about the injury at the time that it happened (over a month ago now) that, as I recall, included links to video of the play that caused the injury, pictures of him afterward, tweets from Coach K about the injury, etc. So lots of info can be found via search.
08-09-2019 03:05 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-09-2019 03:05 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  There were at least two (maybe more) threads on this board about the injury at the time that it happened (over a month ago now) that, as I recall, included links to video of the play that caused the injury, pictures of him afterward, tweets from Coach K about the injury, etc. So lots of info can be found via search.

I imagine you can even find Edu's birthdate and maybe his favorite foods but I think the CURRENT information he was asking for
Quote: how long is the recovery? I'd like to know if he will be 100% for the 2020-21 season or will he be 80% or have chronic problems. Certainly affects recruiting strategy.

isn't going to be found in month's long blurbs. Have there been any updates you're aware of?

I just presume he'll get there when he gets there. Long career is the goal.
08-09-2019 04:23 PM
Rocket Pirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: Seton Hall
(08-09-2019 01:19 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(08-09-2019 11:57 AM)Rocket Pirate Wrote:  Schools don't have to report injuries if they don't want to, and I don't have a problem with that. Outside of satisfying curiosity, what's there to gain telling people details about Edu's injury at this point in time?

How serious was the injury, what was the surgery, how long is the recovery? I'd like to know if he will be 100% for the 2020-21 season or will he be 80% or have chronic problems. Certainly affects recruiting strategy.

Again, that's simply to satisfy your (or any other fan's) curiosity, which Coach K and the university don't care about. If it impacts UT's recruiting, I'm confident the coaches are already working on that. The NCAA doesn't make schools release medical information and that's a good thing.
08-09-2019 09:30 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-09-2019 04:23 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(08-09-2019 03:05 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  There were at least two (maybe more) threads on this board about the injury at the time that it happened (over a month ago now) that, as I recall, included links to video of the play that caused the injury, pictures of him afterward, tweets from Coach K about the injury, etc. So lots of info can be found via search.

I imagine you can even find Edu's birthdate and maybe his favorite foods but I think the CURRENT information he was asking for
Quote: how long is the recovery? I'd like to know if he will be 100% for the 2020-21 season or will he be 80% or have chronic problems. Certainly affects recruiting strategy.

isn't going to be found in month's long blurbs. Have there been any updates you're aware of?
Exactly , we'll know when he has his chance to heal. If it is an average recovery time he should play in a year. Every patient and injury is different. We can only wish him well. Get better AJ
08-10-2019 11:45 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

10-04-2019 07:40 PM
Advertisement

rocketpaul Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(08-09-2019 09:30 PM)Rocket Pirate Wrote:  
(08-09-2019 01:19 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

Bull **** about not caring this is HIPPA FEDERAL LAW

Again, that's simply to satisfy your (or any other fan's) curiosity, which Coach K and the university don't care about. If it impacts UT's recruiting, I'm confident the coaches are already working on that. The NCAA doesn't make schools release medical information and that's a good thing.
10-04-2019 08:05 PM
Screwball Offline
All American

(08-10-2019 11:45 PM)pono Wrote:  
(08-09-2019 04:23 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

Exactly , we'll know when he has his chance to heal. If it is an average recovery time he should play in a year. Every patient and injury is different. We can only wish him well. Get better AJ

+1

Get well AJ
10-04-2019 08:10 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

I heard he hurt himself playing international basketball. I wonder since he is on scholarship, did he have to get permission by UT to play competitively somewhere else?
10-04-2019 08:58 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-04-2019 08:58 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  I heard he hurt himself playing international basketball. I wonder since he is on scholarship, did he have to get permission by UT to play competitively somewhere else?

Competing for international recruits, I doubt a mid-major with few exceptions would have a chance in the world of getting Edu's caliber of talent if they weren't given an enthusiastic "go ahead." It would be interesting to know if it must be done formally.
10-04-2019 11:33 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-04-2019 08:58 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  I heard he hurt himself playing international basketball. I wonder since he is on scholarship, did he have to get permission by UT to play competitively somewhere else?

Edu's connection to the Philippines Junior National Team is well documented and a fairly epic narrative. If you understand his connection with that team you will better understand his participation internationally during his time at UT. here's a long piece of it based on a few articles i read.

Edu was born in Cyprus. It's a big island in the mediterranean that has been invaded or annexed over time by the egyptians, persians, romans, french, assyrians, ottomons, arabs, greeks, and most recently the british. it's a beautiful old complex island. that, while technically 1 country, is now divided between a greek zone and a turkish zone, cause in the 60s the right wing dictatorship in greece led a coup and political takeover of cyprus which triggered a partial military invasion of the mostly ethnically turkish part of the island by turkey and then a truce and a UN buffer area in the middle like a mini north and south korea. however, it has remained a part of the commonwealth and well connected to great britain and the european economy.

edu's parents were a nigerian scholar scientist basketball playing father and a highly educated filipina mother with good jobs in cyprus. however, the government did not recognize AJ's birth as one of a cypriot. he was literally undocumented with no nationality or passport the first couple years of his life until his mom lobbied the philippines government and they provided him full citizenship and the documentation to live internationally in an international family. while the Philippines was really his 2nd home growing up-he spent far more time in cyrpus, it was his 1st home as well.

filipinos love basketball. far more than any other place in asia or the really world outside of Indiana and Kentucky. unfortunately, they tend to be short which makes them a limited presence on the international, professional, or college court outside of the philippines which has 2 pro leagues. every year their national team will have a decent perimeter rotation but no big man to protect the rim. so, when AJ grew into this 6-10 talented smart big man who loved basketball he became the great hope of the next generation of philippines basketball. maybe, the guy who would get them over the hump of always near qualifying for olympics and FIBA tournaments and such. AJ played on their Junior national team in recent years and had strong friendships and connections to that team and playing for that flag. part of his recruitment to toledo was based on mutual support for his continued international play.

coach has stated publicly his medical timeline has been lengthened by 50% from 9 months to 14 months, simply because that longer recovery timeline limited to non contact rehab, strength work and mental trust of the knee is optimal. plus, it coincides with the start of 2020-21 fall practice.

on a related note, per the post above which also includes acunzo. it was also stated that he got poor treatment and rehab of a high school foot injury which never fully healed. doctors and trainers determined that they should rebreak the foot bone. set it properly and do a complete rehab from that. otherwise, he would have had to play through constant foot pain and discomfort. his injury rehab will be much quicker than AJ but i think they did the same thing and extended it 50% and are gonna have him strength train on get the foot right before practicing with a Nov 1 estimate of his return. the vibe is that he is the jewel of the recruiting class, but they're gonna ease him back from the foot, then tackle his mediocre conditioning. so, it might be a while before his game fully shows up.

i think this is plenty of information for the tell me more crowd

let's hope smith, etherington, moore, or the home school giant surprises. we need 1 or 2 more guys to fill out the rotation.
10-05-2019 02:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.