Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gun violence solutions thread
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
Gun violence solutions thread
Mine is punishment. I say laws should be enacted to expedite the trial and sentencing of perps caught immediately at the seen of a mass shooting. The sentence should be public hanging without a hood. Let the left cry for these animals and demand a lighter punishment. I say hang em high.

Won’t stop all of them but I guarantee it would stop some.
08-05-2019 01:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Gun violence solutions thread
(08-05-2019 01:31 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  Mine is punishment. I say laws should be enacted to expedite the trial and sentencing of perps caught immediately at the seen of a mass shooting. The sentence should be public hanging without a hood. Let the left cry for these animals and demand a lighter punishment. I say hang em high.

Won’t stop all of them but I guarantee it would stop some.

Most of them do it with the plan of being killed or shooting themselves anyway.
08-05-2019 01:33 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
I agree with SoMs Eagle.
08-05-2019 01:33 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Nothing new, other than what I've been harping on re: tech censorship and an internet bill of rights. "Banning hate" obviously doesn't prevent anything, and those whose views are dubbed outside the overton window are being pushed to the dark corners of the internet where they become radicalized. If they were allowed on major platforms where their ideas could be openly discussed and debated, maybe they would learn something and change their tune. And if they post their manifestos to twitter and facebook instead of obscure message boards, maybe the authorities could locate them faster.

With that said, if this wasn’t your top priority yesterday but suddenly is today, you are a weak, reactionary thinker that is being manipulated by your emotions. I believe Fox said only 4 democrats mentioned guns in day 1 of last week’s debates, and ZERO in day 2.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2019 01:45 PM by Kronke.)
08-05-2019 01:37 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
2/3 of our gun deaths are suicides. Punishment doesn't solve those. Those are mental health issues, and that's where we need to deal with them. Bring back mental hospitals instead of trying to feed them drugs and mainstream them. And rework the HIPAA privacy rules. Mental health is also a factor in almost every mass shooting. We need to focus the system on removing from society those who are threats to themselves or others.

Stronger punishment for homicides and and assaults with deadly weapons should be part of the solution.
08-05-2019 01:40 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
There arent any. This is what America is and will continue to be at this point. The only solution is to leave if it bothers you.
08-05-2019 01:41 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Forced anonymity. Do not release the suspect's name, picture, or any personal information. The instant someone commits one of these crimes they cease to exist to the world. During the trial they are only referred to as the defendant and they sit in the courtroom in an orange jumpsuit and a spit hood.
08-05-2019 01:43 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(08-05-2019 01:43 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Forced anonymity. Do not release the suspect's name, picture, or any personal information. The instant someone commits one of these crimes they cease to exist to the world. During the trial they are only referred to as the defendant and they sit in the courtroom in an orange jumpsuit and a spit hood.

The internet usually has those details before the mainstream media. You're not going to be able to stop that from getting out.
08-05-2019 01:49 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
First of all, you go into shopping malls and you'll see security guards all over the place and what is it about these security guards that you won't see? They're unarmed. They carry a radio but what good is a radio if the perp would just as soon shoot the guard as anyone there. ALL security guards should be armed otherwise he's just another shopper, a sitting duck.

To help the armed guard there should be cameras that are monitored 24/7 and anyone that is suspicious, i.e., carrying what looks like a rifle or a suspicious bag should be met by the guard closest to the door possible. The shooter at Cielo Vista was carrying his rifle like he was carrying a shopping bag, he didn't care who saw him because he knew no one could/would stop him.

If you can have two armed Sheriffs at T-ball games then shopping centers can afford armed security, or other venues like bars, places that close late at night, etc.

I'm a proponent of the second amendment but I cannot see the reason for a hunter to need more than six bullets for their gun or rifle. You go hunting because you want to prove your worth with your weapon and you sure don't want to empty it on your game, whether human or animal. You won't be hindering or stopping the sale of guns and thus not abusing the second amendment. I might not get many agreements from gun owners but that's tough shiate.
08-05-2019 01:58 PM
AdoptedMonarch Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Time travel - - 100 years back.

Instead of banning alcohol, the 18th Amendment could and should have enabled Congressional legislation to restrict the nature and type of arms that may be owned and traded by the general population. It wasn't long after that criminal gangs (Al Capone, for one example), fueled by the profits from illegal hooch, were outgunning law enforcement. The useless prohibition against intoxicants was removed. But the resulting acceleration of lethal weaponry was left to grow beyond anything that a Constitutional amendment, followed by legislation, can effectively address.

Today's gun confiscators are simply peeing into the wind. Our only recourse is to somehow try to root out the hate and violence that seems to be taking hold of our culture. The guns will always be available to someone who is intent on inflicting mayhem.
08-05-2019 01:58 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Encourage open carry. Hands on gun training in High Schools. Eliminate Gun-Free zones. Increase penalty for gun crimes - Institute a "zero tolerance" policy where anybody using a firearm to commit a crime gets a mandatory 10 year sentence. Make it illegal for DA's to plead down gun charges.

Fund research into mental health. Honestly investigate the diagnosis and over medication for things like ADD, ADHD, and depression. Bring back mental institutions.

Put God back in schools. Teach the value of life.
08-05-2019 01:59 PM
Advertisement

Claw Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Adding curriculum nationwide to teach that murder is wrong. Why everyone has the right to live. The impact of a murder on family and friends.

The goal here is to make a social change about the attitude of murder. They've made a generation of kids that think they will all die from global warming. They can make a new generation that understands this kind of thing is stupid, wrong, harmful, and never effects any change.

Challenge your liberal friends to do this. Many of them are educators. This can help. It won't hurt.
08-05-2019 02:00 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-05-2019 01:43 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Forced anonymity. Do not release the suspect's name, picture, or any personal information. The instant someone commits one of these crimes they cease to exist to the world. During the trial they are only referred to as the defendant and they sit in the courtroom in an orange jumpsuit and a spit hood.
First amendment. But we could support media and reporters who follow that voluntarily.
08-05-2019 02:06 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-05-2019 01:40 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  2/3 of our gun deaths are suicides. Punishment doesn't solve those. Those are mental health issues, and that's where we need to deal with them. Bring back mental hospitals instead of trying to feed them drugs and mainstream them. And rework the HIPAA privacy rules. Mental health is also a factor in almost every mass shooting. We need to focus the system on removing from society those who are threats to themselves or others.

Stronger punishment for homicides and and assaults with deadly weapons should be part of the solution.

Ultimately we have a mental health crisis. But NO Politician will talk about it. It’s not an easy fix or a wedge issue.
08-05-2019 02:09 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Long term solution... encourage balanced mental health, including the ideas that not everyone wins, and 'peaking in high school' is not a good life goal.

Short term solution. VERY stiff penalties for criminals with guns in their possession... in their homes... at their places of work... in a car they are riding in. Before we try banning everyone from having a gun, let's start by banning those most likely to use them for bad purposes. Use a gun to commit a crime... lifetime ban from being around one... even if not in your possession. Like being a registered sex offender

EVERY argument that is made about how 'ordinary citizens don't need.....' is especially true of criminals. Start with that.
08-05-2019 02:17 PM
Eldonabe Online
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
You really have an all or nothing problem here and neither is the right answer. If everyone has guns it will be the wild west. Those who want to do bad things will be met with people who want to do good things and will stop them. Lots of gun fights....

If you take away guns from everyone, those who want to do bad things will still find a way through black markets to get guns, then those individuals will be at a tremendous advantage to take advantage of all the law abiding citizens who don't have one. The second amendment is all about defending yourself... if you cannot defend yourself in a way that is at least equal to what you need to defend yourself against, we all lose to people who want to do bad things - every time.

There is no genie who can cross their arms, blink, and fix this. Education on firearms should be mandatory - how to use them, how to handle them, and what can happen when using them good and bad.... Screening and banning ownership to the most obvious of those who may pose a threat to society is a start but again, that will only slow those people, down, it will not stop them.

As much as humanly possible - DO NOT glorify or publicize public shootings and shooters. There are plenty of small time outlets - but putting them on national news makes it too easy to see and hear (and get bad ideas). If at least you could turn the noise down, that is a start.

The tech world is not nearly as anonymous as it seems - you can trace this stuff down. There should be a significantly large arm of law enforcement that is devoted only to discovery - that includes everything from people who want to shoot people, to pedophiles, to smugglers to terror threats - and everything in between. Does that infringe on your freedom - I suppose it does, but it also detects and deters illegal activities....... if you don't like it, don't do anything illegal and nobody needs to watch you.

Finally - TRULY CLOSE THE BORDERS - you know what else comes over the borders along with people - guns... among other things. You know what we cannot keep track of once they get past the guards..... guns and people. There are a lot of people who want to get into our country for legitimate reasons, and those people can and should be allowed to come here if they want to follow the rules. If you don't want to follow the rules, you and everything you bring ARE NOT ALLOWED and we should make it as hard a humanly possible for those who don't want to follow the rules to enter.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2019 02:29 PM by Eldonabe.)
08-05-2019 02:24 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
[Image: 62u58HL.jpg]

Accept that mass shootings are not just perpetrated by white men
[Image: 4OwMdJo.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2019 02:25 PM by CrimsonPhantom.)
08-05-2019 02:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(08-05-2019 01:58 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  I'm a proponent of the second amendment but I cannot see the reason for a hunter to need more than six bullets for their gun or rifle. You go hunting because you want to prove your worth with your weapon and you sure don't want to empty it on your game, whether human or animal. You won't be hindering or stopping the sale of guns and thus not abusing the second amendment. I might not get many agreements from gun owners but that's tough shiate.

Safety as much as anything - especially if you are talking rifles. In NC the last thing you want to do is walk up on a half dozen feral hogs or accidentally get too close to a mama black bear and her cubs. Up north its moose. Out west, grizzlies and mountain lions. Lots of things in the woods that can kill you if you miss, or even if you put 3-4 round in them. Even expert shots lose they cool and miss when they are put in a position they don't anticipate. I hunt with a Browning BARII, it holds 4+1. I've always got another 5-10 cartridges on me and usually a .45 as well just in case.
08-05-2019 02:26 PM
Eldonabe Online
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
(08-05-2019 02:24 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  [Image: 62u58HL.jpg]

Accept that mass shootings are not just perpetrated by white men
[Image: 4OwMdJo.png]

Then what will CUSA News have to post about then?
08-05-2019 02:27 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
For the mass shootings we are talking about The FBI knows the profile very well or there are really 3 profiles.
-Younger guy, mental health issues, suicidal sometimes, often post what they might do on social media. (Wal Mart, Schools, Churches, etc.)
-The older guy who shoots up his former workplace.
-Jihad types that shoot up anything, workplace, club, etc.

2 ways to limit these shootings, FBI establishes a large monitoring center that looks at social media and message forums. Basically looking for red flags. The other is for family and friends that are possibly aware of someone making plans to call police.
08-05-2019 02:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.