Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UALR AD to UTRGV
Bookmark and Share
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
UALR AD to UTRGV
Being in the gutted WAC leading a historically terrible athletic department doesn't look like a great move to me.

My assumption is he either wants the feather of leading the likely move to add football at UTRGV or just didn't mesh with the new chancellor and was looking for a change
08-02-2019 11:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: UALR AD to UTRGV
I’m going with football-it seemed like he was really all about having a football program to play with, based on his comments publicly and the study he had commissioned
08-02-2019 12:58 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(08-02-2019 12:58 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  I’m going with football-it seemed like he was really all about having a football program to play with, based on his comments publicly and the study he had commissioned

I never got the impression from his interviews and quotes that he was the fired up about football at LR. Most of the noise came from the stadium commission.

Now the guy's dad is a damn good football coach when he isn't in a crack for personal issues so I'd expect he's passionate about the sport as well. Just never got the sense he felt it was going to happen in Little Rock.
08-02-2019 01:05 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(08-02-2019 01:05 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(08-02-2019 12:58 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  I’m going with football-it seemed like he was really all about having a football program to play with, based on his comments publicly and the study he had commissioned

I never got the impression from his interviews and quotes that he was the fired up about football at LR. Most of the noise came from the stadium commission.

Now the guy's dad is a damn good football coach when he isn't in a crack for personal issues so I'd expect he's passionate about the sport as well. Just never got the sense he felt it was going to happen in Little Rock.

it would be a hard sell for him at ualr so why try to swim upstream. at edinburg they are open to and actively trying to boost their school in any way they can. maybe not much happening at ualr. not a good springboard for someone trying to build something and move on up. IMHO
08-03-2019 10:00 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

(08-03-2019 10:00 AM)runamuck Wrote:  
(08-02-2019 01:05 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

it would be a hard sell for him at ualr so why try to swim upstream. at edinburg they are open to and actively trying to boost their school in any way they can. maybe not much happening at ualr. not a good springboard for someone trying to build something and move on up. IMHO

This. Chasse already had his high water mark whenever the Trojans had their 15 minutes of fame with Chris beard back in the 15-16 season. Vaqueros program has a lot more potential for growth and achievement and CQ struck me as a guy wanting to keeping going up the ladder
08-03-2019 12:21 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(08-03-2019 12:21 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Vaqueros program has a lot more potential for growth and achievement

What makes you say this? Just thinking maybe UTRGV is more likely than Little Rock to consider starting football?
08-03-2019 12:38 PM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Online

I Root For: TROY
Maybe LR can get in a new AD that can get basketball back to prominence.
08-03-2019 02:06 PM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

(08-03-2019 12:38 PM)_x_ Wrote:  
(08-03-2019 12:21 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Vaqueros program has a lot more potential for growth and achievement

What makes you say this? Just thinking maybe UTRGV is more likely than Little Rock to consider starting football?

Various articles I’ve read regarding the university itself as well as it’s ongoing studies for football
08-03-2019 09:39 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
So UTRGV can get football bay UT-Arlington can’t get it together???
08-03-2019 10:49 PM
Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISIANA
UTRGV to me is ripe for having a football team. 28k students and to me they have a decent sports program, plus there is no football in that area. I honesty think if they added football, sunbelt should consider adding them in all sports. It would provide a travel partner for Tx St.. I would honestly make a big push to have Missouri St. to be let into the conference. Bring in another premier basketball and baseball program. These schools would have to put a lot effort and money getting there football up to par.

UT- Pan America use to be part of the sunbelt or big west I think from 92-97
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2019 12:52 AM by Bigtom12.)
08-04-2019 12:44 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(08-04-2019 12:44 AM)Bigtom12 Wrote:  UTRGV to me is ripe for having a football team. 28k students and to me they have a decent sports program, plus there is no football in that area. I honesty think if they added football, sunbelt should consider adding them in all sports. It would provide a travel partner for Tx St.. I would honestly make a big push to have Missouri St. to be let into the conference. Bring in another premier basketball and baseball program. These schools would have to put a lot effort and money getting there football up to par.

But didn’t UTPA have several run-ins with the NCAA that lead to them leaving the Sun Belt? It wasn’t an “expulsion” but it was a “voluntary withdrawal” into independent status for UTPA.
08-04-2019 01:14 AM
Advertisement

seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
Is there even any interest in South Texas about a possible Vaquero football program? I would rather see UTA add football. They are already in conference, and the facilities are already in place.
08-04-2019 03:19 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(08-04-2019 03:19 AM)seaking4steel Wrote:  Is there even any interest in South Texas about a possible Vaquero football program? I would rather see UTA add football. They are already in conference, and the facilities are already in place.

adding football is a much easier decision for the old panam. the community is dying for something to hang their hat on and they have a nearby instant rival in Texas A&I over in kingsville. they also are not focusing their resources on building the giant research powerhouse uta is on a track to do. as a more regional school with diahard fans clamoring for it, I see it happening there before too long. as for uta, sadly the leaders there just dont seem very interested in football. they are however busy adding staff and other support to the sports they do sponsor.
08-04-2019 09:09 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
UT Pan American was expelled from the Sun Belt because they lost their NCAA cred.

This school will never be a member of the SBC because they are still academically way behind our institutions.
08-04-2019 09:58 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(08-04-2019 12:44 AM)Bigtom12 Wrote:  UTRGV to me is ripe for having a football team. 28k students and to me they have a decent sports program, plus there is no football in that area. I honesty think if they added football, sunbelt should consider adding them in all sports. It would provide a travel partner for Tx St.. I would honestly make a big push to have Missouri St. to be let into the conference. Bring in another premier basketball and baseball program. These schools would have to put a lot effort and money getting there football up to par.

Slow down. Huge leap of logic from adding football at most likely the FCS level to thinking The Valley can support an FBS program.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
08-04-2019 10:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(08-04-2019 03:19 AM)seaking4steel Wrote:  Is there even any interest in South Texas about a possible Vaquero football program? I would rather see UTA add football. They are already in conference, and the facilities are already in place.
Undetermined. It's heavily Longhorn Nation and Cowboy Country in both sides of the border.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2019 01:26 PM by panama.)
08-04-2019 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

debragga Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
(08-04-2019 09:09 AM)runamuck Wrote:  

adding football is a much easier decision for the old panam. the community is dying for something to hang their hat on and they have a nearby instant rival in Texas A&I over in kingsville. they also are not focusing their resources on building the giant research powerhouse uta is on a track to do. as a more regional school with diahard fans clamoring for it, I see it happening there before too long. as for uta, sadly the leaders there just dont seem very interested in football. they are however busy adding staff and other support to the sports they do sponsor.

A&M-Kingsville (used to be A&I) is D2, and UTRGV is a D1 non-football school. If UTRGV started football they would have to be D1 unless they drop all of their sports to D2.
08-04-2019 10:27 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

UALR AD to UTRGV

Those 28,000 students are spread over six campuses in different cities. The two largest campuses are an hour apart in two of the poorest counties in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-04-2019 07:27 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

UALR AD to UTRGV
(08-04-2019 09:58 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  UT Pan American was expelled from the Sun Belt because they lost their NCAA cred.

This school will never be a member of the SBC because they are still academically way behind our institutions.

Too crazy to be true except it was.
Second offense with NCAA. School’s suggested the NCAA give them the death penalty. The NCAA gave a hearty laugh and said you aren’t getting off that easy!

They withdrew to avoid expulsion vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-04-2019 07:32 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA

Just because they are in Texas, doesn't mean they are good travel partners. Its a four-hour drive between the two and Edinburgh does not have easy access into or out of its area.
08-04-2019 10:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.