Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the MAC now a major conference?
Bookmark and Share
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Is the MAC now a major conference?
Thinking about our bowl lineup some and remembering how the MWC and CUSA at one time used to send their champs to play each other in the Liberty Bowl gives me context of where the MAC sits today.

In a good MAC year this is what we are potentially looking at:

1) CFP Access Bowl vs. P5
2) Arizona Bowl vs. MWC #2
3) Quick Lane Bowl vs. B1G
4) Bahamas Bowl vs. CUSA

At the top of the lineup MWC-MAC are now playing each other with top selections instead of MWC-CUSA. Overall the lineup for the MAC when you factor in the CFP bowl is as good as anything MWC 1.0, CUSA 1.0 and WAC-16 ever had.

Is it time then to consider the MAC then a "major" FB conference? The forums for exposure are now equivalent to what the MWC and AAC have. No longer is the ceiling extra low in FBS compared to those conferences. Its possible to have a Top 50 recruiting class and play a big team in a bowl out of the MAC these days.
08-01-2019 03:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Is the MAC now a major conference?
(08-01-2019 03:01 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Thinking about our bowl lineup some and remembering how the MWC and CUSA at one time used to send their champs to play each other in the Liberty Bowl gives me context of where the MAC sits today.

4) Bahamas Bowl vs. CUSA

At the top of the lineup MWC-MAC are now playing each other with top selections instead of MWC-CUSA. Overall the lineup for the MAC when you factor in the CFP bowl is as good as anything MWC 1.0, CUSA 1.0 and WAC-16 ever had.

Is it time then to consider the MAC then a "major" FB conference? The forums for exposure are now equivalent to what the MWC and AAC have. No longer is the ceiling extra low in FBS compared to those conferences. Its possible to have a Top 50 recruiting class and play a big team in a bowl out of the MAC these days.

[Image: a1a3ed52167a2570ce289f98aabf2f54]
08-01-2019 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

So a stern no on the idea of the MAC as a major conference?

What would you say if the MAC had an automatic bid to a CFP bowl when they expand the playoff? I don't see how the MAC could be considered anything less than a major conference if that was the case.
08-01-2019 03:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(08-01-2019 03:01 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Thinking about our bowl lineup some and remembering how the MWC and CUSA at one time used to send their champs to play each other in the Liberty Bowl gives me context of where the MAC sits today.

4) Bahamas Bowl vs. CUSA

I hear weed is cheap these days and without legal penalties ....

I guess this proves it!!!
08-01-2019 03:44 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(08-01-2019 03:28 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  So a stern no on the idea of the MAC as a major conference?

What would you say if the MAC had an automatic bid to a CFP bowl when they expand the playoff? I don't see how the MAC could be considered anything less than a major conference if that was the case.

[Image: if-you-could-pn9odx.jpg]
08-01-2019 03:52 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Aren't we 16-52 in our last lump of bowl games against not those good teams we will now be playing? If major means 10th out of 10 I am behind this. MAJOR AMERICAN CONFERENCE. I LIKE IT.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019 04:08 PM by UofToledoFans.)
08-01-2019 04:07 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(08-01-2019 04:07 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Aren't we 16-52 in our last lump of bowl games against not those good teams we will now be playing? If major means 10th out of 10 I am behind this. MAJOR AMERICAN CONFERENCE. I LIKE IT.

03-shhhh This is getting good.
08-01-2019 04:10 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-01-2019 04:07 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Aren't we 16-52 in our last lump of bowl games against not those good teams we will now be playing? If major means 10th out of 10 I am behind this. MAJOR AMERICAN CONFERENCE. I LIKE IT.

Bowl performance isn't relevant though I expect it to pick up with the improved bowl arrangements for 2020-25.

Note I'm saying "major" vs. "power" conferences. The BE and AAC with their TV deals I'd consider major conferences (but not power) conferences with the OTA exposure.

I don't think I'd consider the MWC and MAC TV deals major deals without a significant OTA component to them. They seem too niche with limited windows. Major conferences in basketball generally average 4 teams to the NCAAs (CUSA 1.0 did and WAC-16 was close) and neither are close by that measure.

Therefore the only chance the MAC has for major status is the FB postseason when the upside in TV and basketball is limited.
08-01-2019 04:19 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(08-01-2019 04:19 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

Bowl performance isn't relevant though I expect it to pick up with the improved bowl arrangements for 2020-25.

Note I'm saying "major" vs. "power" conferences. The BE and AAC with their TV deals I'd consider major conferences (but not power) conferences with the OTA exposure.

I don't think I'd consider the MWC and MAC TV deals major deals without a significant OTA component to them. They seem too niche with limited windows. Major conferences in basketball generally average 4 teams to the NCAAs (CUSA 1.0 did and WAC-16 was close) and neither are close by that measure.

Therefore the only chance the MAC has for major status is the FB postseason when the upside in TV and basketball is limited.
Oh so we are FBS.
08-01-2019 05:16 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(08-01-2019 03:44 PM)cleveland Wrote:  I hear weed is cheap these days and without legal penalties ....

And claiming you are a Bobcats supporter gives plenty of excuses for driving down to Southeast Ohio for some high grade supply.

To answer the question, it's real simple:

To be a Major Conference in FB, you need a NY6 contract bowl for your champion, or number 2 in the event your champion is in the CFP. To be a Major Conference in BBall, at a minimum you require multiple at-large bids.

Let's look at the tale of the tape: uh, nope and nope.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019 08:15 PM by BruceMcF.)
08-01-2019 08:09 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
All of Division I is major.
08-02-2019 08:41 AM
Advertisement

Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
It's swell to be Major - what do we need to do to be Colonel or General?
08-02-2019 10:10 AM
Steve1981 Online
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Is Kit-Cat a major cat?
08-02-2019 10:54 AM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!

Bingo.

This is what happens when stupid people start threads...
08-02-2019 11:38 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-02-2019 08:41 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  All of Division I is major.

I'd divide into 3 groupings.

Power (Autonomous Conferences)
Major (Defined by TV, NCAA bids, Bowls)
Mid-Major (everyone else)

The BE is major with TV and bids. So is the AAC.

MAC, MWC, CUSA, SBC have to do major through bowls.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2019 03:36 PM by Kit-Cat.)
08-02-2019 03:35 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
All the semantics in the world is not going to change the MAC from being in the bottom 30% of FBS. It's simple: just look at the 1-130 rankings at the end of each season if you want to see how the MAC stacks up nationally. Labels are meaningless.
08-02-2019 05:49 PM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
Major conferences don’t play on Tuesday nights in empty stadiums.
08-02-2019 06:02 PM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I definitely think the Bowl line-up's improved. We're going from essentially all games vs SunBelt to a nice variety. Don't we have an AAC matchup, tho?

(08-02-2019 08:41 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  All of Division I is major.

Exactly.

It's not a top major conference, but it is a major conference.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2019 10:50 PM by Bronco'14.)
08-02-2019 10:45 PM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Y'all still calling safeties from the 4 yard line?
08-02-2019 11:44 PM
pono Online
Heisman

I Root For:
why do these type of threads get so long?
08-03-2019 04:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.