Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I heard a rumor from a "source" about Amazon.
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
I heard a rumor from a "source" about Amazon.
Rumor that Amazon is exploring how to aquire/create an online school similar to Western Governors University (WGU). They would offer select programs like information security, business administration, and software development. Also the technology focused programs integrate Amazon services such as AWS, Alexa, etc.

Something like this could seriously impact the education system. I did a BS at USC and an MS at WGU for $3800.00. Staying in a dorm my freshman year was more expensive than my MS degree...
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2019 11:43 AM by TrojanCampaign.)
07-28-2019 11:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: I heard a rumor from a "source" about Amazon.
Interesting but I'm not sure how it turns the entire educational system on its head.
07-28-2019 01:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(07-28-2019 01:43 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Interesting but I'm not sure how it turns the entire educational system on its head.

Because if it’s successful there will be copycats, and why spend $100 grand on an education you can get for 10?
07-28-2019 03:55 PM
CenterSquarEd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Siena
Are they gonna have a bidding contest to decide where their football team plays?
07-28-2019 05:08 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Interesting.
My daughter who will be a HS freshman wants to be a video game designer. So far the only college that had the application is Full Sail Univ. I know by the time she is a senior there will be more options. This could be one of them.
07-28-2019 07:26 PM
Advertisement

CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(07-28-2019 07:26 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Interesting.
My daughter who will be a HS freshman wants to be a video game designer. So far the only college that had the application is Full Sail Univ. I know by the time she is a senior there will be more options. This could be one of them.

You need to check out the UCF Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy. Full Sail isn't even the best school in Orlando for video game design.
07-28-2019 07:57 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(07-28-2019 03:55 PM)Chappy Wrote:  
(07-28-2019 01:43 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Interesting but I'm not sure how it turns the entire educational system on its head.

Because if it’s successful there will be copycats, and why spend $100 grand on an education you can get for 10?

They already have players in the online marketplace offering degrees at a reduced rate.
07-28-2019 08:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
(07-28-2019 07:26 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Interesting.

FYI ODU does offer design and simulation.
https://www.odu.edu/vmasc/
07-28-2019 10:19 PM
TDenverFan Online
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
Amazon University to the WAC
07-28-2019 10:26 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll look further into them.
07-28-2019 10:31 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(07-28-2019 10:26 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  Amazon University to the WAC

I hear tell it's the first step to the WAC resuming FBS football.
07-28-2019 11:16 PM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(07-28-2019 11:16 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

Amazon U is going to be based in South Dakota. It's gonna be the school that will forge the Great Northern Conference.
07-29-2019 04:23 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(07-28-2019 03:55 PM)Chappy Wrote:  

Online education is already a highly competitive space.

The places that have a legit chance to be "category killers" are entities like edX and Coursera that are offering legit top tier masters degrees with prestigious institutions at a fraction of on-campus prices - edX with Georgia Tech (computer science and analytics) and MIT (supply chain management) and Coursera with Illinois (computer science and accounting), Michigan (public health) and now Penn (information technology) - an Ivy League school! Those degrees have the branding of top institutions with much less cost. I can't imagine why someone looking for an MS in computer science today would go anywhere other than the Georgia Tech or Illinois online programs where they're getting a top 5 masters degree at a bargain rate. The ROI on those online degrees would seem to be extremely high, especially when lower-ranked schools and for-profit institutions are actually much more expensive.

To be sure, the best online programs are in quantitative/objective subject areas such as engineering, computer science and accounting. The online platform really isn't well-suited to, say, an MBA where a lot of the value is in the connections that you make through your program (e.g. you can make a phone call years from now to your classmates at Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, Booth, etc.) as opposed to the content itself.

I also believe that any degree (whether online or on-campus) is only worth as much as what an employer believes that it's worth... or even more likely in today's world, what an employee recruiting software algorithm believes that it's worth. The hardest part of any interview process is usually to simply get your resume read by an actual person and, depending on where you're applying, that doesn't happen if you don't have a college degree overall or the right degree from the right schools. I've worked with multiple organizations that hire a critical mass of people out of school and they *all* definitely used type of degree and the quality of the degree-granting institution as a screening tool.

It's almost counter-intuitive, but as the relative value of a college degree goes down because there are now so many more college grads compared to prior generations, the relative value of institutional prestige actually goes up. For my parents, simply having a college degree with a relative rarity in their generation, so it didn't really matter where they attended school. It's a whole lot different now because it's much more competitive with many more college grads.
07-29-2019 09:36 AM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
More schools are good things
07-29-2019 10:25 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Basically Amazon wants to charge people (via the taxpayers) for an employment recruiting pool it controls.

I see where it makes sense for Amazon and maybe for the students (going to suck to graduate and not get an Amazon offer) if they don't get into the program find its not for them and then need to transfer hours to a school offering something they want to take.

Steroid infused version of Walmart's plan to create a certification program in retail sales.
07-29-2019 10:40 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(07-28-2019 11:42 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Rumor that Amazon is exploring how to aquire/create an online school similar to Western Governors University (WGU). They would offer select programs like information security, business administration, and software development. Also the technology focused programs integrate Amazon services such as AWS, Alexa, etc.

Something like this could seriously impact the education system. I did a BS at USC and an MS at WGU for $3800.00. Staying in a dorm my freshman year was more expensive than my MS degree...

How much did you learn in your MS degree?

I'm just curious. I've never taught an online class, but when I've talked to people who have, they tell me that the students learn a lot less in an online class.
07-29-2019 10:41 AM
TDenverFan Online
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
(07-29-2019 04:23 AM)whittx Wrote:  
(07-28-2019 11:16 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

Amazon U is going to be based in South Dakota. It's gonna be the school that will forge the Great Northern Conference.

Can't wait for that Amazon/Augustana rivalry
07-29-2019 12:02 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(07-29-2019 10:41 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(07-28-2019 11:42 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Rumor that Amazon is exploring how to aquire/create an online school similar to Western Governors University (WGU). They would offer select programs like information security, business administration, and software development. Also the technology focused programs integrate Amazon services such as AWS, Alexa, etc.

How much did you learn in your MS degree?

I'm just curious. I've never taught an online class, but when I've talked to people who have, they tell me that the students learn a lot less in an online class.

I'm a PhD student who also has taught in the classroom and in online courses. I don't think just saying "online learning is less" is accurate because there are a couple of different types of online classes:

On one end of the spectrum, I am given a canned curriculum, and cannot change it. Those classes seem to be weaker because I have not created assignments or chosen readings, etc. that fit what I think the students need. On the other side are classes where I do have some say or total say and I can make the online class as engaging as it can be and students do learn.

The LMS (learning management system) also makes a difference.
07-29-2019 12:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.