Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Visitor’s Gameday Guide: Food, Drinks, Traditions
Bookmark and Share
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
Visitor’s Gameday Guide: Food, Drinks, Traditions
Time for a fun offseason thread. Post your guide for visiting fans. Include things on or near campus/the stadium like restaurants, bars/breweries, Game day traditions, and, if you’re brave, your tailgating hangout.
07-23-2019 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

I Root For: UAB, Pro Sports
RE: Visitor’s Gameday Guide: Food, Drinks, Traditions
I’d actually be interested in seeing responses here. 95% sure I’ll be going to the WKU game this fall and 50/50 on going to Southern Miss.
07-23-2019 06:50 PM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
+1 on wanting Southern Miss info

There's nothing near the stadium for UAB, but they usually have a good selection of food trucks set up on gameday. I'd 100% recommend going to the white tent place (they're always around the 25yd line on the home side when you walk in) and get an Italian Sausage. I can't help myself...I have to get it every time I go.

General Birmingham stuff: Highlands Bar & Grille won the James Beard a few years ago for best restaurant in America. Saw's BBQ is the best in town, and Heavenly Donut Co is on a couple of "top-50" lists. Pizitz Food Hall is a great way for everyone in the family to get whatever they're in the mood for (burger, poke, ramen, mediterranean, etheopian, etc.). Get a donut and a burger from Hero Doughnut.
07-25-2019 04:37 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
Before heading to Apogee...

* Breakfast at the Old West Cafe
* But some books & records at Recycled Books at the courthouse square
* Lunch at Babe's Chicken

With the exception of lighting the tower, I'm only listing things you will always see at every North Texas home game

* Tailgating on "The Hill" (Area surrounding Apogee: the former UNT golf course that the Mean Green Athletic Village no sits on)

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fc2.staticflickr.com%2F8...mp;amp;f=1]

* The Mean Green Battle Flag (A very large all green Texas flag waves proudly outside of Apogee Stadium)

[Image: 14_605_tailgate023_a.jpg]

* Check out the Mean Joe Greene Sculpture at the home side entrance at Apogee

* The Spiriki eagle sculpture at the players entrance

[Image: 16_637_FootballSMU0451B.jpg]

* Boomer the Cannon will scare some visiting fans when we score touchdowns

* At some point in the game, the North Texas chant will takeover the stadium. It is fun.

* Lighting the Tower (After North Texas wins, students and other attendants at the game will meander over to McConnell Hall and the tower will be lit green)

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstadiumjourney.com%2Fwp...mp;amp;f=1]
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2019 05:06 PM by Side Show Joe.)
07-25-2019 06:39 PM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
Southern Miss/Hattiesburg

Stay:

Hotel Indigo- New hotel across the street themed aged the Pine Belt and Hattiesburg. Great bar downstairs. Located in the Midtown are surrounded by some restaurants including smaller, but good, chains: Fuzzy’s Tacos, Pyro’s Pizza, and Chicken Salad Chic to name a few.

Eat:

The Midtowner (Midtown)- Breakfast and Lunch place in Midtown. Has a donut place attached to it.

Glory Bound Gyro Co. (near campus)- Gyros. Good gameday drink specials.

Mugshots or Ed’s (towards I59)- Burgers. Depending on who you ask some favor one over the other. Mugshots is traditionally the favorite of the two.

Keg and Barrel (towards Downtown)- “Family Pub” feel. Has a lot of beers on tap. Great food. Get the Sweet and Smoky sandwich.

Cotton Blues (West Hattiesburg)- Good spin on some traditional southern foods- with a twist. Has a great bottomless mimosas brunch on Sundays.

Drinks

Southern Prohibition Brewing (Downtown) - some of their staples include Suzy B. Fire Ant. Crowd Control.

Collidium Brewing (off 4th Street)- newest place in Hattiesburg. Haven’t gotten a chance to go yet.

The Porter (Downtown)- Good Pub with a lot on tap.

Brass Hat (Midtown)- Bar inside the hotel. Great cocktails.

The Mahogany Bar- Connected to Crescent City Grill so it serves the same food. A lot of beers on tap. Good cocktails as well.

Coffee: Try T Bones Records or The Depot for your caffeine fix.

Gameday

Parking- Most lots on campus are reserved for Eagle Club members. There’s free parking in lots on the west side of campus off of Ross Blvd and beyond.

Tailgating- You’ll find tailgates spread throughout campus. Some of the more popular areas are near the Administration Building (“the dome”), Century Park Lawn, and the front of campus. Most people are warm, friendly, and welcoming.

Traditions to Look For

Eaglewalk- The team parades into the stadium. Takes place 2 hrs before kickoff on the East Side of the Stadium

The Little Rock- by the Ogletree House. Painted weekly by students on campus with a message for that week’s game/promoting on campus event/other message.

5th Quarter Concert- The Pride of Mississippi plays a selection of songs following the game. Sometimes you can make it into the field during his time.

Game Staples:

Replica of the Rock- The team runs out from the athletic center and touches a replica of the original “Rock” (Part stadium which players helped build in the 1930s)

“Are you from Dixie?”- The “second fight song” and song of the Pride’s Dixie Darlings is played after each USM extra point attempt

“Hey Baby”- Played in the second half of every game.
07-25-2019 09:46 PM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
A few obvious/"old hat" suggestions for those coming to a WKU game.

--- National Corvette Museum (in BG)

--- Mammoth Cave National Park (about 40 min. drive from BG) tours available daily; a great fall activity for leaf watchers/hikers/cavers.

--- If you have interest in athletic facilities/basketball--- E. A. Diddle Arena is a one minute walk from the football stadium and you might be able to get in and have a look around.
07-26-2019 01:16 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt will answer any charlotte questions.
07-26-2019 01:49 PM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
(07-26-2019 01:49 PM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  clt will answer any charlotte questions.

How many creeks are near the stadium?
07-26-2019 08:16 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
(07-26-2019 08:16 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  
(07-26-2019 01:49 PM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  clt will answer any charlotte questions.

How many creeks are near the stadium?

clt says one. Also CMPD will have a helicopter deployed over the area to catch marshal fans before they toss nattie light cans into our pristine creek,
07-27-2019 05:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.