07-23-2019 11:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: MAC Announces 2020-25 Bowls
They kept the Potato Bowl?

WHY????
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2019 12:19 PM by MWC Tex.)
07-23-2019 11:48 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(07-23-2019 11:48 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  They kept the Potato Bowl?

I suspect that was tied to getting the Tucson bowl, a tie-in I very much like.
07-23-2019 12:19 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Love the lineup.

-The MAC has moved from 2 full tie-ins with the Alabama bowls to a 2/7 tie in with those games. All but eliminates the possibility of playing twice in Alabama the same year.

-Access to two Florida bowls is nice in the Cure and Boca.

-New Mexico Bowl probably wont happen often
07-23-2019 12:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
From the MAC POV, I'm up in the air on this. Detroit is great, as is Arizona. But it's still at 3 of the 4 guaranteed bowls being either in another country, or on the other side of the Continental Divide.

Bowl games in Alabama, South Carolina and Florida are MAC-fan friendly. But I suppose they are good Bowl games for other conferences too. Thus the rotating cast of conferences.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2019 12:58 PM by Nittany_Bearcat.)
07-23-2019 12:55 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I was tired of watching the MAC get hammered every year in Alabama by Troy and App St.

It didn't do anything for the conference.
07-23-2019 01:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
This looks to me like an upgrade for the MAC. You get two guaranteed games out west vs the MWC, always a nice thing for a midwest conference, and then plus the B1G matchup in your backyard and the exotic trip to the Bahamas.

And then two more bowls in a pool with a nice array of southern, sunny locations, should ensure that nobody gets stuck in the same place twice during the cycle, or at least not back to back years.

Arguably the only stinker is keeping the Potato Bowl, but that is a MWC matchup so not all bad. The MAC commissioner did a good job by his schools.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2019 02:06 PM by quo vadis.)
07-23-2019 02:05 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
So, the MAC is not in the Gasparilla, Birmingham, and first responders pool like some predicted. Interesting.
07-23-2019 02:36 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

Unless the MAC has a 7th bowl eligible team they wont be in some of the AAC bowl pool bowls.
07-23-2019 02:55 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(07-23-2019 02:55 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Unless the MAC has a 7th bowl eligible team they wont be in some of the AAC bowl pool bowls.

I know that. However some predicted that the MAC and CUSA would be a part of this pool when I stated AAC was virtually guaranteed to be in these bowls. Granted, we haven’t seen CUSA’s bowls yet.
07-23-2019 03:05 PM
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I think the MAC did well. Restoring our old Detroit tie in is great, especially with the Big Ten on the other side of it.

The Potato Bowl is what it is, but Tucson and the Bahamas are attractive destinations, and I like having two games against the Mountain West. I don't know how easy it is to get to Nassau in December, but Tucson isn't that difficult. There are many flights to Phoenix, and it's only a couple hours away.
07-23-2019 04:23 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-23-2019 03:05 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(07-23-2019 02:55 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Unless the MAC has a 7th bowl eligible team they wont be in some of the AAC bowl pool bowls.

I know that. However some predicted that the MAC and CUSA would be a part of this pool when I stated AAC was virtually guaranteed to be in these bowls. Granted, we haven’t seen CUSA’s bowls yet.

I hope you remember I stated likely BYU and CUSA to be added to the pool. Highly unlikely MAC and SB. To think it will only be ACC, SEC and AAC is insane. The history for these slots for the ACC and SEC does not support this happening every year. As much lipstick as you want to put on the AAC bowl lineup, Aresco still got you a PIG.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2019 05:17 PM by msm96wolf.)
07-23-2019 05:16 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(07-23-2019 05:16 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

I hope you remember I stated likely BYU and CUSA to be added to the pool. Highly unlikely MAC and SB. To think it will only be ACC, SEC and AAC is insane. The history for these slots for the ACC and SEC does not support this happening every year. As much lipstick as you want to put on the AAC bowl lineup, Aresco still got you a PIG.

Like you, I never mentioned the MAC being in a pool with those AAC bowls, just CUSA and the Sun Belt.

But bottom line is, until CUSA and the SB release their bowl lineups, we won't know who is right or wrong. He might be right.

Though even if he is, I would still agree the bowl lineup is uninspiring and an Aresco fail. But it won't be as much of a fail if the AAC is the only G5 in a pool with the ACC and SEC.

07-coffee3
07-23-2019 05:51 PM
spenser Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(07-23-2019 05:51 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Like you, I never mentioned the MAC being in a pool with those AAC bowls, just CUSA and the Sun Belt.

But bottom line is, until CUSA and the SB release their bowl lineups, we won't know who is right or wrong. He might be right.

Though even if he is, I would still agree the bowl lineup is uninspiring and an Aresco fail. But it won't be as much of a fail if the AAC is the only G5 in a pool with the ACC and SEC.

07-coffee3
I stick with my prediction that AAC is the only non A5 in those 3: Gasparilla, Birmingham, and First Responder. And also that it is big for AAC to have almost all of the A5 vs non A5.
07-23-2019 07:49 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I had all but had it nailed in my prediction for the MAC last week.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-879350.html

One piece that I didn't predict is the "bowl pool" is tailored some for each conference. The MAC has the Alabama games in its version of the bowl pool instead of the Gasparilla, Birmingham and First Responder.

From the MAC perspective having games in Orlando and Mobile is just as good if not better than Tampa and Birmingham. While the AAC is looking for P6 validation in its bowls the MAC is just looking to win more bowl games.

They actually want to play lower picks from the MWC or SBC to create a mismatch. McMurphy is projecting Ohio vs. Tulane this year in Boca Raton. Another total mismatch for Ohio after winning its last 2 by a combined score of 68-6 with the same QB they have this season.
07-23-2019 08:07 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(07-23-2019 07:49 PM)spenser Wrote:  

07-coffee3
I stick with my prediction that AAC is the only non A5 in those 3: Gasparilla, Birmingham, and First Responder. And also that it is big for AAC to have almost all of the A5 vs non A5.

I think it's very minor. How much prestige is there in playing the #11 SEC team in the Gasparilla Bowl? Or a 6-6 Virginia team in the Military Bowl?

It's just not a big deal to me one way or the other. When you look at our bowl lineup, it is a purely G5 lineup, in terms of the quality of the bowls and the payouts. That's true whether we are playing an 8-4 Sun Belt team or a 6-6 ACC team.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2019 08:16 PM by quo vadis.)
07-23-2019 08:15 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

07-coffee3

I bet the SBC will have an announcement like this:

Annual Bowl games

New Orleans Bowl – vs. C-USA
Mobile Alabama Bowl vs. MAC

Three Appearances from the following

Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl
Camellia Bowl
Cure Bowl
Frisco Bowl
Myrtle Beach Bowl
Bahamas Bowl

A slightly different bowl lineup than the MAC since the MAC is hosting the Bahamas Bowl and the SBC can only sign 5.
07-23-2019 08:22 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2019 08:15 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(07-23-2019 03:05 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  I know that. However some predicted that the MAC and CUSA would be a part of this pool when I stated AAC was virtually guaranteed to be in these bowls. Granted, we haven’t seen CUSA’s bowls yet.

07-coffee3

I think it's very minor. How much prestige is there in playing the #11 SEC team in the Gasparilla Bowl? Or a 6-6 Virginia team in the Military Bowl?

It's just not a big deal to me one way or the other. When you look at our bowl lineup, it is a purely G5 lineup, in terms of the quality of the bowls and the payouts. That's true whether we are playing an 8-4 Sun Belt team or a 6-6 ACC team.

The AAC deserves better bowl games but their isn't room in the Inn around the NYD bowl weekend.

The solution by ESPN seems to be bumping up the pre Christmas weekend bowl games to ABC. Bowl ratings of the lower tier games have been consistently strong to the point where they want to try them OTA. Las Vegas Bowl and Boca Raton are both picking up an ABC window this year.
07-23-2019 08:38 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(07-23-2019 08:22 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  
(07-23-2019 03:05 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  I know that. However some predicted that the MAC and CUSA would be a part of this pool when I stated AAC was virtually guaranteed to be in these bowls. Granted, we haven’t seen CUSA’s bowls yet.

07-coffee3

I bet the SBC will have an announcement like this:

Annual Bowl games

New Orleans Bowl – vs. C-USA
Mobile Alabama Bowl vs. MAC

Three Appearances from the following

Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl
Camellia Bowl
Cure Bowl
Frisco Bowl
Myrtle Beach Bowl
Bahamas Bowl

A slightly different bowl lineup than the MAC since the MAC is hosting the Bahamas Bowl and the SBC can only sign 5.
Take out the Bahamas bowl and you're probably 100% correct for the 2020 season.
07-23-2019 08:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.