Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC & CBSSN Announce Four Year Extension
Bookmark and Share
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
MAC & CBSSN Announce Four Year Extension
https://getsomemaction.com/news/2019/7/2...nsion.aspx

CBS Sports Network to air up to 12 football and 12 men’s basketball games annually through sublicense agreement with ESPN. And the article doesn't mention Facebook as a possibility.

I know C-USA doesn't have a lot of options but I'd like to find a way to replace CBSSN with another network. I enjoy games on the channel and they're getting in more homes with OTT services but they don't make any commitment to our league at all. Pushing our games to Facebook and sub-licensing other conferences to play on the network over C-USA.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2019 07:38 AM by MUsince96.)
07-23-2019 07:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

beefcake0520 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: marshall
RE: MAC & CBSSN Announce Four Year Extension
(07-23-2019 07:37 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  https://getsomemaction.com/news/2019/7/2...nsion.aspx

CBS Sports Network to air up to 12 football and 12 men’s basketball games annually through sublicense agreement with ESPN. And the article doesn't mention Facebook as a possibility.

I know C-USA doesn't have a lot of options but I'd like to find a way to replace CBSSN with another network. I enjoy games on the channel and they're getting in more homes with OTT services but they don't make any commitment to our league at all. Pushing our games to Facebook and sub-licensing other conferences to play on the network over C-USA.

I honestly don't blame them, we still have no identity as a league. Other than a handful of programs with a name, that's about all we have to offer, its not enough to draw interest for most games. I say this every preseason. We lack an identity that average CF fans can recognize.
07-23-2019 08:53 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(07-23-2019 08:53 AM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  
(07-23-2019 07:37 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  https://getsomemaction.com/news/2019/7/2...nsion.aspx

I honestly don't blame them, we still have no identity as a league. Other than a handful of programs with a name, that's about all we have to offer, its not enough to draw interest for most games. I say this every preseason. We lack an identity that average CF fans can recognize.

I don't see how the MAC offers any more interest. Through the 2022 football season, in total, the MAC hosts 4 P5 teams. (Ohio hosts Syracuse, NIU hosts Vandy, WMU hosts Syracuse & Pitt)

So it's not like they're getting a bunch of G5 vs. P5 matchups. They're getting games ESPN didn't want. I don't see how a Ball State vs. Central Michigan game is any more interesting than a WKU vs. MTSU.

It seems like the conference was willing to take the crumbs of Facebook. Could we have held firm that we want the actual CBSSN windows since we have the primary rights deal? Perhaps the MAC sub-licensed games would then be on Facebook instead.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2019 09:46 AM by MUsince96.)
07-23-2019 09:37 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
How much of the football is going to be mid-week MACtion?
07-23-2019 12:36 PM
Advertisement

MUsince96 Offline
All American

(07-23-2019 12:36 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  How much of the football is going to be mid-week MACtion?

In 2018, it was only 3 Thursdays and 2 Fridays.
07-23-2019 12:44 PM
Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
[/quote]

I think you might be correct. I don't think the average fan could name more than four or five schools in the conference. I don't think the CUSA conference leaders can do much to improve the situation, you can only work with what you have available.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2019 01:26 PM by Flat Tire 2.)
07-23-2019 01:24 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
When are some people going to understand that if a network can show a FB cheaper they will select that right to do just that.

ESPN owns all MAC content so they can put those games on espn+ or espn3 and not make anything or sell those games to another network at a reduced rate.

That is one of the reasons CBSSN did not bid for more CUSA games....it would have cost them more money. The fact is to them MAC football or SBC football or CUSA football. There are no differences.

2019 you can sit at home and watch your team play almost every game. You might have to search for it but a couple clicks of a mouse and you have it. Then you might have to stream it from your PC to a TV but it's there and doable. A lot of fans are doing just that staying home.

This should be a life lesson for people...you try to **** over the top dog for a few more dollars. He's not forgetting you did that. CUSA tried to **** espn and now is paying for it.
07-23-2019 02:13 PM
Advertisement

UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
(07-23-2019 02:13 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  When are some people going to understand that if a network can show a FB cheaper they will select that right to do just that.

ESPN owns all MAC content so they can put those games on espn+ or espn3 and not make anything or sell those games to another network at a reduced rate.

That is one of the reasons CBSSN did not bid for more CUSA games....it would have cost them more money. The fact is to them MAC football or SBC football or CUSA football. There are no differences.

2019 you can sit at home and watch your team play almost every game. You might have to search for it but a couple clicks of a mouse and you have it. Then you might have to stream it from your PC to a TV but it's there and doable. A lot of fans are doing just that staying home.

This should be a life lesson for people...you try to **** over the top dog for a few more dollars. He's not forgetting you did that. CUSA tried to **** espn and now is paying for it.

I’d rather play Saturday afternoon on the NFL Network than Tuesday night on espn 3
07-23-2019 04:43 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2019 04:43 PM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  
(07-23-2019 02:13 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  When are some people going to understand that if a network can show a FB cheaper they will select that right to do just that.

I’d rather play Saturday afternoon on the NFL Network than Tuesday night on espn 3

I love Saturday football. Dont mind a Thursday night game early in the season when school is out Friday and Saturday for a holiday. But overall Saturday is college football
07-23-2019 04:57 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA

Texas played ESPN and got away with it... for now.
07-23-2019 10:27 PM
Advertisement

beefcake0520 Offline
Special Teams

(07-23-2019 09:37 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  

I don't see how the MAC offers any more interest. Through the 2022 football season, in total, the MAC hosts 4 P5 teams. (Ohio hosts Syracuse, NIU hosts Vandy, WMU hosts Syracuse & Pitt)

So it's not like they're getting a bunch of G5 vs. P5 matchups. They're getting games ESPN didn't want. I don't see how a Ball State vs. Central Michigan game is any more interesting than a WKU vs. MTSU.

It seems like the conference was willing to take the crumbs of Facebook. Could we have held firm that we want the actual CBSSN windows since we have the primary rights deal? Perhaps the MAC sub-licensed games would then be on Facebook instead.

They are willing to do what we are not, play substantial mid week games. Honestly we should be willing to do it as well, to at least get more exposure and be able to market better later on. Gotta be willing to do what it takes to get that exposure. Doesn't mean that MU should play all mid week games at home, but 1 a season or 2 won't kill us. Play the rest on Friday night and Saturdays, I honestly don't see the problem with this. It is my understanding that CBSSN wanted us to do what the MAC is willing to do, fill time slots....
07-25-2019 08:55 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(07-25-2019 08:55 AM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  

They are willing to do what we are not, play substantial mid week games. Honestly we should be willing to do it as well, to at least get more exposure and be able to market better later on. Gotta be willing to do what it takes to get that exposure. Doesn't mean that MU should play all mid week games at home, but 1 a season or 2 won't kill us. Play the rest on Friday night and Saturdays, I honestly don't see the problem with this. It is my understanding that CBSSN wanted us to do what the MAC is willing to do, fill time slots....

It's really not so bad. App has 2 mid-week games. One on a Wednesday at UL (ESPN2) and one on at Thursday (Halloween) at home against GaSo (ESPNU).

Troy is on a Friday night, but I don't consider that a midweek game.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2019 09:12 AM by Yosef Himself.)
07-25-2019 09:08 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

On ESPN the MAC is weeknights galore. But on CBSSN this year, of the 9 home MAC games; 6 are on Saturday (1 Tuesday, 1 Thursday, and 1 Black Friday)

C-USA needs to agree to whatever dollar amount CBS paid ESPN for those MAC games and get those windows. They probably got them on the cheap but beggars (C-USA) can't be choosers.
07-25-2019 10:07 AM
Advertisement

beefcake0520 Offline
Special Teams

(07-25-2019 10:07 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  

On ESPN the MAC is weeknights galore. But on CBSSN this year, of the 9 home MAC games; 6 are on Saturday (1 Tuesday, 1 Thursday, and 1 Black Friday)

C-USA needs to agree to whatever dollar amount CBS paid ESPN for those MAC games and get those windows. They probably got them on the cheap but beggars (C-USA) can't be choosers.

Exactly, but even our own AD is fighting playing during the week, I just haven't seen anything to indicate this conference is willing to do what it takes to get a foothold in a network, like fox, CBSSN, various ESPN platforms. Now ESPN has nearly a monopoly since Disney owns most network's, as much as I hate ESPN for what they have done to college sports, we probably should be offering them whatever they want just to get back in the fold. Otherwise this conference won't improve it's prestige and good wins won't go noticed, would have to beat a top 10 team likely before anyone remembers.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2019 11:48 AM by beefcake0520.)
07-25-2019 11:46 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(07-25-2019 11:46 AM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  
(07-25-2019 10:07 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(07-23-2019 08:53 AM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  I honestly don't blame them, we still have no identity as a league. Other than a handful of programs with a name, that's about all we have to offer, its not enough to draw interest for most games. I say this every preseason. We lack an identity that average CF fans can recognize.

Exactly, but even our own AD is fighting playing during the week, I just haven't seen anything to indicate this conference is willing to do what it takes to get a foothold in a network, like fox, CBSSN, various ESPN platforms. Now ESPN has nearly a monopoly since Disney owns most network's, as much as I hate ESPN for what they have done to college sports, we probably should be offering them whatever they want just to get back in the fold. Otherwise this conference won't improve it's prestige and good wins won't go noticed, would have to beat a top 10 team likely before anyone remembers.

A lot of CUSA games are on espn3 and espn+ and since they own all MAC and SBC content. I dont think espn is interested in CUSA.

The only thing that's going to change that is year after year of winning FB and BB by a stable rotation of top teams. Along with those schools getting ranked and winning OOC.

While the MAC only plays a few weekday games on CBS....they play a ton for espn, who owns all their rights.

There's not a school in CUSA that's going to move the needle for espn. So we will have to do it as a conference. This isnt Judy's fault, she cant play FB or BB....

wins and big wins will have to come from the members of CUSA

In all honesty if a person is 60 or over they probably wont live long enough to see that happen. I dont think 5 years of winning, does the trick. Maybe 10 but to change minds we are looking way into the future
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2019 01:21 PM by WKUYG.)
07-25-2019 01:19 PM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I wonder where the beIN Sports basketball games will go. I assume ESPN+ if there are no bidders.
07-26-2019 06:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.