Open TigerLinks

Josh Pastner Story in Atlanta Journal-Constitution Today
Bookmark and Share
AtlantaTiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Josh Pastner Story in Atlanta Journal-Constitution Today
https://www.ajc.com/news/public-affairs/...xv71BpYjO/

Trouble for Pastner and the Yellow Jackets. Glad it is the Yellow Jacket's problem and not our.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2019 02:15 PM by AtlantaTiger.)
07-19-2019 02:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
RE: Josh Pastner Story in Atlanta Journal-Constitution Today
Been telling you guys for years Josh was a liar, a true to heart liar. And all that talk of squeaky clean was nothing but a schtick.
07-19-2019 02:25 PM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

I Root For: Memphis
(07-19-2019 02:25 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  Been telling you guys for years Josh was a liar, a true to heart liar. And all that talk of squeaky clean was nothing but a schtick.

Nearly all coaches tell lies. From telling a recruit 'You are going to be a starter for me next year' to 'Memphis is the place I want to be'. If you win enough games it doesn't seem to matter to people that much. Pastner told less lies than most but didn't win enough games and never could garner the respect of his players.

I still like Josh and hope he does well. I am also glad that he's not coaching here anymore.
07-19-2019 02:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigerbluejs Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I think I’ve read all the Ron Bell related articles out of fascination last couple years. I do feel like I have to add so many qualifiers about his trustworthiness and being off his rocker a bit. That said, Pastner really has casually lied along each step to whichever investigator or journalist
07-19-2019 02:41 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
NTR
07-19-2019 02:42 PM
Tor Johnson Offline
2nd String

Pastner was as bogus as a $3 bill. It was obvious and evident early on. Good riddance.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2019 02:45 PM by Tor Johnson.)
07-19-2019 02:43 PM
Advertisement

jgardne Offline
Heisman

1. Typical partner blaming everybody else: bell, the players, the players parents etc

2. GT probably planted this story to lay the groundwork to fire josh without having to pay off his contract.
07-19-2019 02:44 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-19-2019 02:43 PM)Tor Johnson Wrote:  Pastner was as bogus as a $3 bill. It was obvious and evident early on. Good riddance.

Tubby was as bogus as a $3 million dollar bill
07-19-2019 02:51 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-19-2019 02:44 PM)jgardne Wrote:  1. Typical partner blaming everybody else: bell, the players, the players parents etc

2. GT probably planted this story to lay the groundwork to fire josh without having to pay off his contract.

You seriously are supporting Bell in this story? Whatever Josh did or didn't do, Bell and his girlfriend marked Josh as a patsy.
07-19-2019 03:17 PM
Crazier Offline
All American

(07-19-2019 02:25 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  Been telling you guys for years Josh was a liar, a true to heart liar. And all that talk of squeaky clean was nothing but a schtick.

I wasn't a fan of how he threw players under bus in the media to cover up his ineptitude as a coach and made himself look like a saint. If anybody criticized him back then, they were viscously attacked. All glory goes to Georgia Tech 04-bow04-bow04-bow
07-19-2019 03:30 PM
roundhouse74 Offline
Cynic

I've always wondered if Pastner didn't have some sort of Aspergers-type thing going on. His speech patterns were odd and all those stories about his work ethic would fit. Still, I appreciate that he fact that he left us without costing us as much as he could have, unlike Tubby.
07-19-2019 03:35 PM
Advertisement

BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
So Pastner sucked at coaching and cheating. Lmao
07-19-2019 04:15 PM
jgardne Offline
Heisman

(07-19-2019 03:17 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  
(07-19-2019 02:44 PM)jgardne Wrote:  1. Typical partner blaming everybody else: bell, the players, the players parents etc

You seriously are supporting Bell in this story? Whatever Josh did or didn't do, Bell and his girlfriend marked Josh as a patsy.

I'm not supporting Bell, he's obviously loony tunes. Nevertheless this is classic John MO to start pushing everybody else in front of the bus. Pastner denied he knew what Bell was doing or that he was breaking rules etc etc. Obviously BS
07-19-2019 04:31 PM
tigersroll Offline
All American

this thread is making a few posters go limp.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2019 04:56 PM by tigersroll.)
07-19-2019 04:56 PM
Bsquared-2 Offline
1st String

(07-19-2019 04:31 PM)jgardne Wrote:  
(07-19-2019 03:17 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  

I'm not supporting Bell, he's obviously loony tunes. Nevertheless this is classic John MO to start pushing everybody else in front of the bus. Pastner denied he knew what Bell was doing or that he was breaking rules etc etc. Obviously BS

Two players went to Bell’s house and he didn’t know about it for months until somebody asked him about it? Yeah right.
07-19-2019 05:28 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
Ok there’s this detail that always sounded creepy weird and kinda believable.

—that part where Ron Bell’s GF said P made her say dirty words ...

I can’t get that image outta my mind
07-19-2019 06:10 PM
Advertisement

EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation

I read in another AJC article...that Tech tried to pursue Markel Crawford to transfer to tech...while he was enrolled at Memphis.
That's dirty right there....same thing Cal did with Spoon when he sent Antigua to try and recruit him to UK.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/ncaa-...P9czFgd3I/

"ESPN reported Thursday that former Tech star Jarrett Jack was the representative of Tech’s athletic interests and that former Duke star Wendell Carter, now with the Chicago Bulls, was the prospect. The details of the notice of allegations indicate that the team member was Justin Moore, who was suspended by the NCAA for two games at the same time LaBarrie was put on leave. Moore has since transferred to Pacific.While Tech contended that Bell was not a booster, the NCAA found that he was a representative of the school’s athletics interest, which makes the violations that he committed – paying for flights for former team members Josh Okogie and Tadric Jackson to visit him in Arizona – and his attempts to influence former Memphis player Markel Crawford to transfer to Tech while Crawford was still in school – actions taken on behalf of Tech.
The notice found that Bell provided Okogie and Jackson with shoes, clothing, meals and travel expenses worth in excess of $1,400 – evidence that Bell himself made public in November 2017 after his falling out with Pastner. The notice also alleged that Bell purchased plane tickets for Crawford – whose name is redacted, but Bell has documented his attempts to influence Crawford in his ongoing legal saga with Pastner – and his brother worth $883 before cancelling them when Crawford elected to transfer to Mississippi. The notice also stated that Bell sent hundreds of text messages to Crawford beginning in Feb. 6, 2017, while Crawford was still at Memphis.
"

from another story

https://www.ajc.com/news/public-affairs/...QGeqWQL9vg
"During the 2016-17 season, Bell tried to recruit a player he thought would help Pastner: Markel Crawford of Memphis. Any effort to sign another team’s player during the season is against the rules, and the NCAA now says Bell was acting as Tech’s representative in illicitly pursuing Crawford.In his interview with the NCAA, Pastner portrayed himself as an innocent bystander.Pastner said he “became aware” that Bell was “independently talking” to Crawford. But he didn’t see Crawford as a good fit at Tech, he said, and “I just didn’t think any more of it.”

Text messages, however, indicate Pastner knew Bell was trying to arrange Crawford’s transfer as early as Feb. 9, 2017, more than two months before the NCAA allowed recruiting of potential transfers.That day, Bell assured Pastner he could deliver Crawford.“I know people promise this or that, Josh, but I am not them, especially when it comes to you,” he wrote in a text message. “You know me. If I say something is going to happen, it will.”“Let’s touch base tomorrow,” Pastner replied.Pastner and Bell apparently spoke by telephone the next day. Bell recounted the call in a text to Pastner’s wife, Kerri, saying her husband was “very excited about the possibility” of signing Crawford. “He gave me instructions on how to handle this within the rules.”A day later, Bell texted Kerri Pastner again: Crawford, he said, told him he wanted to transfer to Tech.

Ronald Bell, a reformed drug addict and former prison inmate, center, posed with Josh Pastner and his wife, Kerri, in their former home in Memphis. Pastner is now the head coach at Georgia Tech. Bell befriended Pastner and committed NCAA rules violations on his behalf, he claims.
Photo: Contributed
Kerri Pastner replied: “Markel is not going to go around saying anything about next year, will he? I just don’t want anyone thinking Josh is stealing their players.”She did not respond to a request for comment.It is not known whether Josh Pastner saw the exchange. But on Feb. 15, he told Bell that Crawford could not initiate a transfer before the season ended.“Anything else in the short term is wasted energy,” Pastner wrote.Crawford ended up transferring to Mississippi. Pastner told the NCAA that Bell acted independently.“This was totally him doing this,” Pastner said. “This was not my direction. I did not direct him in any way, shape or form. None.”
Listen: "This was not my direction."

When an investigator asked why he hadn’t reported Bell’s in-season contact with Crawford, an apparent rules violation, Pastner answered, “I don’t know – it just slipped my mind.”#MeToo? After four years of texting, emailing or calling each other virtually every day, Pastner and Bell abruptly ended their relationship on Oct. 2, 2017.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2019 06:21 PM by EarthBoundMisfit.)
07-19-2019 06:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bluecrew Offline
1st String

I Root For: A stable conference
the most frustrating part of the entire Pastner era, even more so than the CONSTANT unpreparedness and lack of discipline, was the fact that people bought his good guy bull****. The guy was a fraud, plain and simple.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2019 06:15 PM by bluecrew.)
07-19-2019 06:14 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
cannot be said LOUDLY enough...THANK YOU GEORGIA TECH!!!
07-19-2019 06:29 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
You should be thanking Mike Bobinski. And Pastner to me is mostly noteworthy as the beginning of the rapid end for GT's administrative problems. His hire triggered the evacuation of Mike Bobinski as AD to Purdue. So send your gift baskets to West Lafayette, Indiana. They'll need them in another year or two when Bobinski is in full swing as their AD taking everything down with him.
07-19-2019 06:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.