Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

When will CUSA turn the corner?
Bookmark and Share
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
When will CUSA turn the corner?
I remember when this version of CUSA was officially announced we all had high hopes of getting 2-3 bids to NCAA basketball tournament every year. We have had a team finish ranked in Top 25 of football more seasons than not etc.

We have spent all off season bashing our own conference. Let's spend a little time facing the facts we are stuck with each other and focus on what we are doing to get better.

I will say that I think the majority of this conference is investing in sports. We have a lot of really young programs with (I hate this word) potential.

North Texas has invested a lot in to athletics and imo has been a good add from a competitive stand point.

Charlotte has cleaned house so to speak and is making efforts to improve their athletics. We need Charlotte to get back to being a legit basketball program. Anything you can do in football would just be gravy imo.

UTEP seems to be getting things headed in the right direction in basketball. This conference needs a strong UTEP in all sports but definitely basketball.

MTSU and WKU have been solid especially in basketball. We need MTSU to get back to being a contender in basketball.

ODU just built a new football stadium (still way to small) but its a step in the right direction. ODU has solid basketball program and good fan support.

Marshall and So Miss need to get back to winning some big games OOC in football.

La Tech has been a solid add.

UTSA has great football support and shown flashes of what they can turn in to with multiple games over 40k. We need them to start winning more.

I know I have left some teams out. I don't have all night. Hoping you guys can add to the list. I just think this conference has actually been pretty close to getting over the hump, but yet it still feels so far away.

If we could consistently get 2 bids to NCAA tournament and have at least one football team finish in Top 25 each year then I would consider that a success. I really hope for a special year where the conference championship is between two ranked teams fighting for the Access Bowl. That's what we really need to get over the hump.

I'll end with this. As much as I bicker with you all in the off season, OOC football season is coming up. It's my favorite time of the year because I am a fan of all 14 CUSA teams during that time. 04-cheers

What do you all think we need to do in order to get over the hump?
07-18-2019 09:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
RE: When will CUSA turn the corner?
CUSA will turn the corner when we start winning more games against power conferences in football & basketball whether it's OOC or post season. That's how we do it. Simple as that.
07-18-2019 10:03 PM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

I Root For: MTSU
We'll be over the hump when we achieve AT LEAST 3 of the following in A 5 YEAR SPAN:

1. Our FB Champ plays in a New Year's Six Bowl or is invited to expanded 8 team playoff.
2. Two MBB teams are invited to the Dance and one makes it to the sweet 16.
3. One CUSA Baseball team makes it to the CWS again.
4. WBB Basketball team makes it to the Women's Elite 8
5. CUSA negotiates conference TV package equivalent to per team payouts of AAC or MWC.
ALL OF THEM CAN BE DONE.
07-18-2019 10:06 PM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Have you seen our bottom?
07-18-2019 10:14 PM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
(07-18-2019 10:06 PM)BlueRaiderBoy Wrote:  We'll be over the hump when we achieve AT LEAST 3 of the following in A 5 YEAR SPAN:

1. Our FB Champ plays in a New Year's Six Bowl or is invited to expanded 8 team playoff.
2. Two MBB teams are invited to the Dance and one makes it to the sweet 16.
3. One CUSA Baseball team makes it to the CWS again.
4. WBB Basketball team makes it to the Women's Elite 8
5. CUSA negotiates conference TV package equivalent to per team payouts of AAC or MWC.
ALL OF THEM CAN BE DONE.

Literally the only ones that excite me are 1, 2, and 5.
07-18-2019 10:16 PM
Noodles Offline
All American

I think if we could hold on to our successful coaches more often, we'd make some noise.
Kudos to Bill Clark for not jumping ship.
We have some great coaches in this league, football and especially basketball. Maybe they'll stay put long enough to be the difference.
07-18-2019 10:35 PM
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

This year!!! Judy has the jeep tuned up with a new set of spinners

[Image: qpBnPnM.jpg]
07-18-2019 10:44 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(07-18-2019 09:55 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  I remember when this version of CUSA was officially announced we all had high hopes of getting 2-3 bids to NCAA basketball tournament every year. We have had a team finish ranked in Top 25 of football more seasons than not etc.

We have spent all off season bashing our own conference. Let's spend a little time facing the facts we are stuck with each other and focus on what we are doing to get better.

I will say that I think the majority of this conference is investing in sports. We have a lot of really young programs with (I hate this word) potential.

MTSU and WKU have been solid especially in basketball. We need MTSU to get back to being a contender in basketball.

The below is not a beat your chest post its.....Sometimes I think other CUSA fans overlook just how good Western and Middle have been in football.

Since Western join CUSA in 2014 I dont think you will find 2 other CUSA schools with more wins 2014-2018 than Middle and Western. That's including a awful coaching hire over the last 2 seasons for Western.

I know you wont find any 2 schools with as many CUSA championship games appearances...3 out of 5

Add to that 2 CUSA championships

A top 25 finish

8 bowl games out of a max of 10

3 P5 wins and 3 others 1 to 3 point loss
Western is 3-0 vs AAC ...@Navy and bowl wins over Memphis and USF

Western will be on their 3 head coach since joining CUSA and 5th in 8 seasons of football. If not for Boy Idiot I have no doubt Western would have went bowling last season. But when you are winning and have 3 coaches leave (making well over 3 million a year) sooner or later you get a Idiot

edit: Marshall, Middle and Tech had the same head coach

A lot of fans on this board seem to over look two of the winningest program in CUSA since they joined.

Western 8 win avg over 5 seasons with 1, 3 win season
Middle 7.3 win avg over 6 season with only 1 season 6 wins or below

Without checking every school I believe Marshall would be the only school with more wins over each of those periods.

44 compared to Westerns 40...5 seasons
53 compared to Middles 44 over 6 seasons

edit: Tech has 42 wins over 5 seasons and 46 over 6 seasons
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2019 01:36 AM by WKUYG.)
07-19-2019 01:22 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

(07-19-2019 01:22 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(07-18-2019 09:55 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  I remember when this version of CUSA was officially announced we all had high hopes of getting 2-3 bids to NCAA basketball tournament every year. We have had a team finish ranked in Top 25 of football more seasons than not etc.

The below is not a beat your chest post its.....Sometimes I think other CUSA fans overlook just how good Western and Middle have been in football.

Since Western join CUSA in 2014 I dont think you will find 2 other CUSA schools with more wins 2014-2018 than Middle and Western. That's including a awful coaching hire over the last 2 seasons for Western.

I know you wont find any 2 schools with as many CUSA championship games appearances...3 out of 5

Add to that 2 CUSA championships

A top 25 finish

8 bowl games out of a max of 10

3 P5 wins and 3 others 1 to 3 point loss
Western is 3-0 vs AAC ...@Navy and bowl wins over Memphis and USF

Western will be on their 3 head coach since joining CUSA and 5th in 8 seasons of football. If not for Boy Idiot I have no doubt Western would have went bowling last season. But when you are winning and have 3 coaches leave (making well over 3 million a year) sooner or later you get a Idiot

edit: Marshall, Middle and Tech had the same head coach

A lot of fans on this board seem to over look two of the winningest program in CUSA since they joined.

Western 8 win avg over 5 seasons with 1, 3 win season
Middle 7.3 win avg over 6 season with only 1 season 6 wins or below

Without checking every school I believe Marshall would be the only school with more wins over each of those periods.

44 compared to Westerns 40...5 seasons
53 compared to Middles 44 over 6 seasons

edit: Tech has 42 wins over 5 seasons and 46 over 6 seasons

Actually... it is exactly a 'beat your chest post.'
07-19-2019 07:05 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

(07-18-2019 10:14 PM)USM@FTL Wrote:  Have you seen our bottom?

EVERY conference needs in-conference guaranteed wins. Even SEC, B10. Luckily for Clemson, ACC has a lot of them.
07-19-2019 07:06 AM
EagNBran Offline
All American

This version won’t. You have a conglomeration of schools not willing (or not able) to put the money forward to upgrade facilities to take that next step. You have a conference full of apathetic fanbases. And none of our administration actually cares. They hold no one at CUSA accountable and are quite content with the gosh awful leadership.
07-19-2019 07:08 AM
Advertisement

va-eagle Offline
1st String

I would add we need Rice to be a national contender in baseball again.

No one likes the attendance talk, but the West + Marshall has propped up FB attendance for a while now. The East minus Marshall needs to sell more tickets.
07-19-2019 07:09 AM
wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I feel very confident in what Mike Hill has done at Charlotte so far in his tenure, he's the opposite of what we dealt with in Judy Rose. He has stated multiple times that the expectation is to compete for conference championships and NCAA bids in all sports.

Recruiting has already picked up in the big 3 sports with all new coaches and you should hear about stadium expansion before October.
07-19-2019 07:41 AM
AustinFromUNT Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UNT
I would just say that what we called “mediocrity” & “parity” last year/this year is actually a good thing. Before there were only 1-3 teams that won everything. Now the middle of the conference has elevated to the level of where those tops are/were. The bottom has elevated to where those in the middle were. The bottom of C-USA now is better than the bottom 5 years ago. The problem is that those top programs before didn’t/haven’t yet taken that step up to create any separation from the previously middle of the pack schools. They have less money to work with sure, but they also had a head start as far as success goes. I think with the exception of extremely historic events (Marshall plane crash type of thing that gets national attention every year), people don’t care what you did or what happened to you pretty much at all more than 4 years ago. That’s the “student life cycle”, and each year that passes they care a little less. Rightfully so, people care the most about what you did last year. People have a lot of forgiveness though and can say “oh well last season was just bad, remember the season before that we were good” and then you have to prove the upcoming season that bad season was an abnormality not the trend. Again, with the exception of HUGE things the AVERAGE CFB fan (aka not a homer who graduated from your school in 1962 or whatever who remembers when you beat X P5 team real good) cares about this much: 65% last season, 25% the season before, 7% 3 seasons ago, & 3% 4 years ago.
07-19-2019 07:49 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
I think basketball is close. I don’t know if a second bid every year is likely in the immediate future but every other or every third year. The bottom has improved, we need a couple at the top to stand out each year and a couple more to be good enough to provide some tier 1 wins for those (so at least 4 in top 75 net rankings).

Football is harder to get everyone together at the same time, as others have mentioned if you have a year good enough for a top 25 finish and flirting with the access Bowl then you’re likely to lose your coach and maybe you make another good hire but sooner or later you pick a dud. Until we all get better, the AAC will get the benefit of the doubt with the access Bowl due to a tougher conference schedule and our champ will have to be near perfect to get the nod. Same true with BB, without the opportunity for tier 1 wins in conference it makes it tough to gather enough to gain the committees attention.

As for ODU, we were behind the curve on facilities in football coming in. We are slowly catching up. We expanded our training facility and are remodeling our stadium but there’s still more to be done. And as much as I and most Monarchs like Wilder and want him to succeed he has not gotten it done at the FBS level. I hope this season is do or die for him and if he couldn’t do it with last years roster I don’t have a lot of hope.
07-19-2019 07:52 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(07-19-2019 07:09 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  I would add we need Rice to be a national contender in baseball again.

No one likes the attendance talk, but the West + Marshall has propped up FB attendance for a while now. The East minus Marshall needs to sell more tickets.

Kind of a bummer Rice is not getting any credit for what we have already accomplished in women's basketball with Tina Langley. The Owls may be a legitimate contender for that Elite 8 level this year. We expect baseball to get back, too, but it is probably two years away.

What really matters is Bloomgren succeeds in football. As long as Rice football is the raging dumpster fire that Karlgaard/Leebron/Bailiff allowed to happen on their watch, the successful programs may not get the recognition they deserve.
07-19-2019 07:54 AM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
To turn the corner we need to...

-consistently have 2 or 3 football teams win 10 or 11 games a season
-consistently have 2 or 3 basketball teams win 27 games or more

If a few of our athletic directors can figure out how to make those two things happen, everything else will take care of itself.

I also think firing Judy would also help.
07-19-2019 08:26 AM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(07-19-2019 07:41 AM)wh49er Wrote:  I feel very confident in what Mike Hill has done at Charlotte so far in his tenure, he's the opposite of what we dealt with in Judy Rose. He has stated multiple times that the expectation is to compete for conference championships and NCAA bids in all sports.

Recruiting has already picked up in the big 3 sports with all new coaches and you should hear about stadium expansion before October.

This is critical and cannot be overstated. Even then, it takes time for culture change be implemented and embraced. GL!
07-19-2019 08:40 AM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
(07-19-2019 07:41 AM)wh49er Wrote:  I feel very confident in what Mike Hill has done at Charlotte so far in his tenure, he's the opposite of what we dealt with in Judy Rose. He has stated multiple times that the expectation is to compete for conference championships and NCAA bids in all sports.

clt says charlotte has turned the corner.
07-19-2019 09:21 AM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
Let's just all cut the crap and get to the meat and potatoes. Here's how CUSA starts turning the corner:

Week 1:
MTSU upsets Michigan
FIU destroys Tulane
Charlotte doesn't lose to Gardner Webb
FAU upsets Ohio State
ODU doesn't lose to Norfolk State
La Tech upsets Texas
Rice beats Army

That's how you starting turning the damn corner, starting in week 1. Time to stop getting blown out and win some of the games we aren't supposed to win and win the games against comparable opponents (FIU-Tulane, Rice-Army). On the flip-side we've gotta destroy teams we have no business losing to (ODU-Norfolk State, Charlotte-Gardner Webb).
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2019 09:42 AM by TTT.)
07-19-2019 09:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.