Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Apollo 11 50th Anniversary
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Apollo 11 50th Anniversary
50 years ago today was when Apollo 11 blast off into space. Saturday will mark the 50th anniversary of when they became the first people to walk on the Moon. I was alive during the mission but had barely turned 5 and just don't remember the mission at all. Maybe I vaguely recall us watching the TV broadcast of the landing?

I definitely plan on reading Moonshot by Douglas Brinkley during an upcoming vacation because despite living 33 years in Houston, I just don't know enough about this city's history and connection to space exploration.

Will we send more people to the Moon in the future? Do we need to?
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2019 05:12 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
07-16-2019 05:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Apollo 11 50th Anniversary
(07-16-2019 05:11 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  50 years ago today was when Apollo 11 blast off into space. Saturday will mark the 50th anniversary of when they became the first people to walk on the Moon. I was alive during the mission but had barely turned 5 and just don't remember the mission at all. Maybe I vaguely recall us watching the TV broadcast of the landing?

I definitely plan on reading Moonshot by Douglas Brinkley during an upcoming vacation because despite living 33 years in Houston, I just don't know enough about this city's history and connection to space exploration.

I seem to recall watching it with my older sister. Don't remember my parents being there. Maybe it was late at night? I have 3 relatives who either have or currently work at JSC. None during the Apollo program though.

We will send people to the moon and should. How soon? I suspect it won't be in the next 10 years.
07-16-2019 06:59 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(07-16-2019 05:11 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Will we send more people to the Moon in the future? Do we need to?
If by “we” you mean NASA or some other agency of the Federal government.... I think that will be a long time coming. There would need to be a broad understanding — much broader than currently exists — of how, exactly, the US taxpayers would benefit from sending people to the moon again.

If by “we” you just human beings, who travel either at their own expense or the expense of other nations which have never done that before... yeah I think that could happen and probably will happen. As that kind of technology becomes more accessible... yeah, sure.
07-16-2019 07:05 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(07-16-2019 05:11 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  50 years ago today was when Apollo 11 blast off into space. Saturday will mark the 50th anniversary of when they became the first people to walk on the Moon. I was alive during the mission but had barely turned 5 and just don't remember the mission at all. Maybe I vaguely recall us watching the TV broadcast of the landing?

I watched it all. The little kids in the family played with paper models of the Lunar Module that you could get at Gulf Oil when you filled up. It was a great time to be alive, well except for Hurricane Camille later that year and of course Viet Nam.

Will we go back? Yes! Why? Because Wernher Von Braun correctly knew that the fuel for a payload to another planet would not be sufficient for the size of the payload if it had to escape the gravity of earth. It is much more efficient to put a base on the moon and use the moon to place a payload into a trajectory for planetary intercept and landing.

It will likely be past my lifetime but space exploration will be best accessed from the moon where the gravity is much less. As we experiment now with aircraft capable of pushing through the envelope into space and returning it is just a matter of time before we will be able to access the moon from an airport instead of a launch pad, build our base, and move out to explore our solar system. Also using the moon would be much better for our atmosphere.
07-16-2019 07:15 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

I watched from the Officers Club BOQ bar at NAS Cubi Point in the Philippines.
07-16-2019 07:39 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
We used to do great and awesome things in this country, now we can't even agree whether the country should continue on as one nation or not.
07-16-2019 07:50 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(07-16-2019 07:39 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

04-cheers
Dam you the boss Owl. If we cross paths drinks are on me.
07-16-2019 07:56 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers

I bet The Phillipines was next to heaven for a young single man back in the day.
07-16-2019 08:00 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(07-16-2019 08:00 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  

I bet The Phillipines was next to heaven for a young single man back in the day.

Still is. Why any younger guys want mess with 3rd wave feminism is beyond reason.
07-16-2019 08:03 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-16-2019 08:00 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  

It wasn't bad, that's for sure.
07-16-2019 08:14 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(07-16-2019 07:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Wernher von Braun correctly knew that the fuel for a payload to another planet would not be sufficient for the size of the payload if it had to escape the gravity of earth.
I wonder if that will always be true. Could science find a way to minimize that obstacle?
07-16-2019 08:16 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

We was Kangz
[Image: signed-photograph-of-apollo-11-neil-arms...aldrin.jpg]

[Image: YTVUXZL4JZAZZBTMTSQY3UNVGI.jpg]
07-16-2019 08:22 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(07-16-2019 08:16 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(07-16-2019 07:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Wernher von Braun correctly knew that the fuel for a payload to another planet would not be sufficient for the size of the payload if it had to escape the gravity of earth.
I wonder if that will always be true. Could science find a way to minimize that obstacle?

Not anytime soon. It is that you need a sustainable planet, a way to get there that doesn't take 500 million years to get there. God has the wheel.
07-16-2019 08:25 PM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
I was 3 almost 4 when the Apollo mission took place.
I have a vague memory of a fuzzy picture of the landing on a black and white TV and thinking this TV show was boring.
07-16-2019 08:52 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-16-2019 08:16 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  

Probably, but it will likely be farther out on the timeline than shuttles capable of take off and landing from an airport in order to build a moon base. If somebody successfully builds what essentially would be some kind of a nuclear powered UFO capable of reversing polarities in order to use gravity repulsion to move like an air hockey puck out of our atmosphere and into space then yeah it would minimize that obstacle. To do it in a timely fashion you'd still need to figure out how to warp space.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2019 09:33 PM by JRsec.)
07-16-2019 09:32 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-16-2019 07:50 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  We used to do great and awesome things in this country, now we can't even agree whether the country should continue on as one nation or not.

Well that's what tends to happen when you move from stressing math and science and teaching logic and problem solving to "no child left behind" which loosely translates into "Smart Kids Can't Get Ahead." From the vantage point of my years the overall decline is rather staggering. We moved from kids learning to use a slide rule to work geometry and calculus problems to kids that can't count your change without a computer to tell them how much to give you back. We went from kids that grew up reading the classics and dime store novels to kids who can't type or spell because of texting. Where I come from we call that devolving. If we go another 1000 years like this we may crawl back into the seas and become jellyfish.
07-16-2019 09:44 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(07-16-2019 09:44 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-16-2019 07:50 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  We used to do great and awesome things in this country, now we can't even agree whether the country should continue on as one nation or not.

Well that's what tends to happen when you move from stressing math and science and teaching logic and problem solving to "no child left behind" which loosely translates into "Smart Kids Can't Get Ahead." From the vantage point of my years the overall decline is rather staggering. We moved from kids learning to use a slide rule to work geometry and calculus problems to kids that can't count your change without a computer to tell them how much to give you back. We went from kids that grew up reading the classics and dime store novels to kids who can't type or spell because of texting. Where I come from we call that devolving. If we go another 1000 years like this we may crawl back into the seas and become jellyfish.
LOL! We may, indeed.

If we go another 50 years like this, we (we Americans) will simply be displaced by other nations that still hunger for greatness and are willing to sacrifice some momentary comfort/coddling in order to achieve it. Thinking China, India, most of all. But we shall see.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2019 10:09 PM by Native Georgian.)
07-16-2019 10:08 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(07-16-2019 07:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I watched it all. The little kids in the family played with paper models of the Lunar Module that you could get at Gulf Oil when you filled up. It was a great time to be alive, well except for Hurricane Camille later that year and of course Viet Nam.

Will we go back? Yes! Why? Because Wernher Von Braun correctly knew that the fuel for a payload to another planet would not be sufficient for the size of the payload if it had to escape the gravity of earth. It is much more efficient to put a base on the moon and use the moon to place a payload into a trajectory for planetary intercept and landing.

It will likely be past my lifetime but space exploration will be best accessed from the moon where the gravity is much less. As we experiment now with aircraft capable of pushing through the envelope into space and returning it is just a matter of time before we will be able to access the moon from an airport instead of a launch pad, build our base, and move out to explore our solar system. Also using the moon would be much better for our atmosphere.

Yes. Those who argue against it apparently don't understand the purpose of it.
07-17-2019 06:19 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

We watched it from our brand new home we had just moved into, I was 1 month shy of 13. Those days were full of promise and excitement.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2019 06:25 AM by TigerBlue4Ever.)
07-17-2019 06:24 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(07-16-2019 09:44 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

This is a sad state of affairs. We had a 21 year old kid beg us to let him work in the cigar store part time. He was a good kid just not terribly bright. This was before we upgraded our cash register to a POS device. He simply could not grasp the concept of counting backwards from the total amount of a sale up to the denomination used to pay to give change. That single inability disqualified him for what has to be one of the easiest jobs in the world.
07-17-2019 06:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.