Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC announces bowl lineup for 2020 - 2025
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
AAC announces bowl lineup for 2020 - 2025
Along with the TV contract, Aresco said that a big priority for the AAC was upgrading the bowl lineup. IMO, this lineup represents a bare upgrade, if at all. It's largely the same as the old lineup. I don't see the Independence or Liberty Bowls involved. Just not much to get excited about, another Aresco failure. Of course the AAC will probably give him a pay raise as a result:

Annual Appearances

Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman (Annapolis, Maryland)
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas)/SoFi Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, Hawaii) – alternating years
Bowl game to be named – (Boston, Massachusetts)

Four Selections Annually From the Following

Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham, Alabama)
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa, Florida)
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (Dallas, Texas)
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Florida)
Frisco Bowl (Frisco, Texas)
AutoNation Cure Bowl (Orlando, Florida)
Myrtle Beach Bowl (Myrtle Beach, South Carolina)
New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque, New Mexico)

Compare with the current 2019 lineup:

Birmingham Bowl versus SEC
Gasparilla Bowl versus Conference USA
Frisco Bowl versus Sun Belt
Military Bowl versus ACC
Hawaii Bowl vs BYU (rotates with Armed Forces Bowl vs Big 12)
Boca Raton Bowl versus MAC
New Orleans Bowl versus Conference USA
Cure Bowl versus Sun Belt

https://theamerican.org/news/2019/7/16/f...ineup.aspx
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2019 09:30 AM by quo vadis.)
07-16-2019 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
RE: AAC announces bowl lineup for 2020 - 2025
(07-16-2019 09:20 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  New Orleans Bowl versus Conference USA

Not sure where you're getting that one from.
07-16-2019 09:35 AM
zoocrew Offline
Banned

I Root For: PITT, NAVY, MBB
Boston Bowl created for UConn vs BC matchups instead we’ll get Temple vs BC/Pitt/Cuse matchups.

Or that sleeper Cincy vs Ville game opportunity.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2019 09:41 AM by zoocrew.)
07-16-2019 09:40 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
but what are the new opponents? I see before only 2.5 games vs P5 conferences, now could be 4. That's a pretty big jump.
07-16-2019 09:44 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
The AAC lineup is the best of the G5 with two ties in the protected part of the ACC bowl lineup.

Remember the AAC has 15 teams so they should be able to fill an 8th and 9th pretty easy.

They'll get other P5 exposure in the bowl pool too.

MAC has traditionally had the weakest bowl lineup but I see them moving past the MWC/CUSA/SBC in this rotation with a solid B1G tie.
07-16-2019 09:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(07-16-2019 09:44 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  The AAC lineup is the best of the G5 with two ties in the protected part of the ACC bowl lineup.

Yes, but being best of the G5 is like having the longest banana under 4 inches.

Aresco claimed he was working on a big upgrade. IMO, this doesn't qualify.
07-16-2019 09:59 AM
Advertisement

TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
I think a slight upgrade overall.
07-16-2019 10:23 AM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(07-16-2019 09:20 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Along with the TV contract, Aresco said that a big priority for the AAC was upgrading the bowl lineup. IMO, this lineup represents a bare upgrade, if at all. It's largely the same as the old lineup. I don't see the Independence or Liberty Bowls involved. Just not much to get excited about, another Aresco failure. Of course the AAC will probably give him a pay raise as a result:

Annual Appearances

Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman (Annapolis, Maryland)
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas)/SoFi Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, Hawaii) – alternating years
Bowl game to be named – (Boston, Massachusetts)

Four Selections Annually From the Following

Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham, Alabama)
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa, Florida)
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (Dallas, Texas)
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Florida)
Frisco Bowl (Frisco, Texas)
AutoNation Cure Bowl (Orlando, Florida)
Myrtle Beach Bowl (Myrtle Beach, South Carolina)
New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque, New Mexico)

Compare with the current 2019 lineup:

Birmingham Bowl versus SEC
Gasparilla Bowl versus Conference USA
Frisco Bowl versus Sun Belt
Military Bowl versus ACC
Hawaii Bowl vs BYU (rotates with Armed Forces Bowl vs Big 12)
Boca Raton Bowl versus MAC
New Orleans Bowl versus Conference USA
Cure Bowl versus Sun Belt

LB director was on radio a while back saying they were wanting to continue the relationship (secondary tie). Not sure why the conference would turn that down.
07-16-2019 10:57 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I am not sure this really is even an upgrade. In the past five years for Dallas and Ft. Worth B10/B12 have represented zero times. As represented by Birmingham Bowl SEC has played three times. Just my guess, the allows for the ESPN to ensure SEC vs ACC match up in either Gasparilla or Birmingham. If there is another SEC team then AAC gets it. Previously, Birmingham had preference over Indy. That appears gone now. The AAC has gone from SEC, ACC and 1/2 ACC tie which was rarely met. It has gone to 2 ACC and 1/2 B12 to a bowl has not appeared yet in this current cycle.

Aresco really came up short. in addition, the Liberty back up seems gone as well.
07-16-2019 11:07 AM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

(07-16-2019 11:07 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I am not sure this really is even an upgrade. In the past five years for Dallas and Ft. Worth B10/B12 have represented zero times. As represented by Birmingham Bowl SEC has played three times. Just my guess, the allows for the ESPN to ensure SEC vs ACC match up in either Gasparilla or Birmingham. If there is another SEC team then AAC gets it. Previously, Birmingham had preference over Indy. That appears gone now. The AAC has gone from SEC, ACC and 1/2 ACC tie which was rarely met. It has gone to 2 ACC and 1/2 B12 to a bowl has not appeared yet in this current cycle.

Aresco really came up short. in addition, the Liberty back up seems gone as well.

Quote:The AAC also will remain a secondary tie-in with the Liberty Bowl if the SEC or Big 12 doesn't fill its slot.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...325245001/
07-16-2019 11:28 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-16-2019 11:28 AM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  
(07-16-2019 11:07 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I am not sure this really is even an upgrade. In the past five years for Dallas and Ft. Worth B10/B12 have represented zero times. As represented by Birmingham Bowl SEC has played three times. Just my guess, the allows for the ESPN to ensure SEC vs ACC match up in either Gasparilla or Birmingham. If there is another SEC team then AAC gets it. Previously, Birmingham had preference over Indy. That appears gone now. The AAC has gone from SEC, ACC and 1/2 ACC tie which was rarely met. It has gone to 2 ACC and 1/2 B12 to a bowl has not appeared yet in this current cycle.

Quote:The AAC also will remain a secondary tie-in with the Liberty Bowl if the SEC or Big 12 doesn't fill its slot.

That is good for the AAC, surprised they did not announce that as part of the agreement. It seems AAC would want to make sure they could move a time to that slot if available..
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2019 12:59 PM by msm96wolf.)
07-16-2019 12:48 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

Good analysis. It seems like the slightest upgrade, if at all.
07-16-2019 01:05 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
This is a de-facto guarantee of 3-5 P6 opponents per year. A minimum of 3.

I think where some of the misperception lies in the fact some here think we are in some type of bowl rotation, where some years we send teams to the New Mexico bowl and Myrtle Beach bowl INSTEAD of the Birmingham and Gasparilla bowls. That will never, ever happen. The bowl announcement article doesn't say that. We'll be in the Birmingham/Gasparilla EVERY year, giving us AT LEAST 3 P6 opponents, and in many cases 4-5. Remember, the ACC is only in each of those 2 our of every 6 years. There are no other conferences announced for those bowls. None. Naturally, ESPN is going to put the AAC in those bowls if the ACC is not in one of them. The only other conferences to sign with those are the SEC and ACC...and the ACC will only be in each 2 out of 6 years. Who else is going to fill the other 4 years each. Do you think ESPN is going to put the Sun Belt or CUSA in those bowls. No. The extra 4 bowls just give us options for our lower tier teams.

Military vs ACC - Every year
Boston vs. ACC - Every year
Birmingham or Gasparilla or BOTH (when ACC is in first responders) vs. SEC - EVERY YEAR
Armed Forces or First Responders vs. Big 12 - Some years

I see a complete guarantee of 3-5 bowls each year vs. P6, with most years being 4. Tell me how I'm wrong. In the past cycle, there were years where we only had 2 P6 bowls.

The ONLY thing that could change this is if the Sun Belt or CUSA announce tie ins for those bowls, otherwise it WILL be the SEC, ACC, and AAC in those bowls....Every year.
07-16-2019 01:53 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

Those bowls are high enough picks in their conference lineups to not be open often, if ever.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2019 02:50 PM by Kit-Cat.)
07-16-2019 02:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
USFB,
Just a hunch, First Responder likely will only see the ACC if they have a 2nd extra bowl eligible team. ACC will always try for the SEC vs ACC match-up. With the likely first extra team in the Gasparilla/Birmingham that is not an SEC vs ACC matchup. With Dallas as the last destination of bowls. The only years I see Dallas possible would be the years the Orange is a Semi Final. Basically following what was being reported before the official ACC announcement.
07-16-2019 02:52 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-16-2019 09:59 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(07-16-2019 09:44 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  The AAC lineup is the best of the G5 with two ties in the protected part of the ACC bowl lineup.

Yes, but being best of the G5 is like having the longest banana under 4 inches.

LOL.

That is why I believe thre answer is moving to a NY10 setup where every G5 champ is in it.

-Eight team playoff. 8 CFP bowls host a quarterfinal every other year.

-2 more smaller access bowls that aren't part of the rotation like the Sun and Liberty to handle the 8 or 9 win conference G5 champs.

-2x CFP money for all conferences.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2019 02:57 PM by Kit-Cat.)
07-16-2019 02:57 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(07-16-2019 01:53 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  This is a de-facto guarantee of 3-5 P6 opponents per year. A minimum of 3.

I think where some of the misperception lies in the fact some here think we are in some type of bowl rotation, where some years we send teams to the New Mexico bowl and Myrtle Beach bowl INSTEAD of the Birmingham and Gasparilla bowls. That will never, ever happen. The bowl announcement article doesn't say that. We'll be in the Birmingham/Gasparilla EVERY year, giving us AT LEAST 3 P6 opponents, and in many cases 4-5. Remember, the ACC is only in each of those 2 our of every 6 years. There are no other conferences announced for those bowls. None. Naturally, ESPN is going to put the AAC in those bowls if the ACC is not in one of them. The only other conferences to sign with those are the SEC and ACC...and the ACC will only be in each 2 out of 6 years. Who else is going to fill the other 4 years each. Do you think ESPN is going to put the Sun Belt or CUSA in those bowls. No. The extra 4 bowls just give us options for our lower tier teams.

Military vs ACC - Every year
Boston vs. ACC - Every year
Birmingham or Gasparilla or BOTH (when ACC is in first responders) vs. SEC - EVERY YEAR
Armed Forces or First Responders vs. Big 12 - Some years

I see a complete guarantee of 3-5 bowls each year vs. P6, with most years being 4. Tell me how I'm wrong. In the past cycle, there were years where we only had 2 P6 bowls.

The ONLY thing that could change this is if the Sun Belt or CUSA announce tie ins for those bowls, otherwise it WILL be the SEC, ACC, and AAC in those bowls....Every year.

A "de-facto guarantee" is a contradiction. Guarantees are either rock-solid or they aren't.

There's no guarantee that ESPN will put the AAC in those other bowls. ESPN will care about teams and matchups, not AAC vs SB vs CUSA.

Basically, it seems like you are making an assumption that CUSA and SBelt won't be included in those bowl pools, just because they have not yet announced their bowl ties for 2020-2025. But that's just an assumption. IIRC, the bowls in question here - Gaspo, BHam, First Responders - are all "ESPN Events" bowls, and ESPN has no incentive to leave SB or CUSA out of the bowl pools. In fact, keeping them in gives them more flexibility. So your assumption seems highly questionable. Guarantees aren't constructed on assumptions, we have to wait and see what CUSA and SB announce.

And heck, the Gasparilla and Birmingham bowls are SEC rock-bottom. Assuming the SEC puts two teams in the NY6, which basically always do, then the Gaspo and Birmingham bowls would get SEC #10 and SEC #11. There's no guarantee the SEC puts that many teams in bowl games.

Really, this lineup is a massive flop - for five years Aresco said a major upgrade of the bowl lineup was a priority, and this doesn't cut it. Heck, even if everything you were saying here was true, it's not a major upgrade. Going from playing two to playing four 6-6 P5 teams that finished 11th in their league is not a big deal.

Based on available evidence, this lineup is essentially the same as the old lineup. That's what Aresco is paid $2m a year for?
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2019 04:25 PM by quo vadis.)
07-16-2019 03:29 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(07-16-2019 02:49 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

Those bowls are high enough picks in their conference lineups to not be open often, if ever.

That's a good point: The LB article says the LB is upgrading its payout, from about $2.25m per school to about $3m per school.

That puts it in a higher tier with the Big 12 and SEC, making it much less likely those conferences will ever let the AAC have a slot.

Heck, the AAC only got the LB one time in the past five years, and that was with the Liberty at a low point in the SEC rotation.
07-16-2019 03:33 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

(07-16-2019 03:33 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(07-16-2019 02:49 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

That's a good point: The LB article says the LB is upgrading its payout, from about $2.25m per school to about $3m per school.

That puts it in a higher tier with the Big 12 and SEC, making it much less likely those conferences will ever let the AAC have a slot.

Heck, the AAC only got the LB one time in the past five years, and that was with the Liberty at a low point in the SEC rotation.

For all practicality, it's a tie in name only. The director has gone on record over the years saying the target/preference is Memphis. A few weeks ago, Ehrhart said he hopes it wont be another sixty years before the Tigers make another appearance. I'd be mildly surprised if any other AAC team (or even Memphis for that matter) plays in the bowl during this next cycle.
07-16-2019 04:17 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
When you’re facing the 11th or 12th pick from a big conference you’re going to be lucky to see them as an opponent twice within the 6 year cycle.
07-16-2019 04:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.