Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

No federal charges against NYPD for Eric Garner death
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...741169001/

Quote:The Justice Department will not bring federal charges against a New York City police officer over the death of Eric Garner during a chaotic arrest that ignited nationwide protests five years ago.

The decision, described by a person familiar with the matter who was not authorized to comment publicly, marks the end of a civil rights probe into an episode that helped turn a national spotlight on how police officers use force against minorities.
07-16-2019 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: No federal charges against NYPD for Eric Garner death
(07-16-2019 09:15 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...741169001/
Quote:The Justice Department will not bring federal charges against a New York City police officer over the death of Eric Garner during a chaotic arrest that ignited nationwide protests five years ago.
The decision, described by a person familiar with the matter who was not authorized to comment publicly, marks the end of a civil rights probe into an episode that helped turn a national spotlight on how police officers use force against minorities.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. I disagree strongly with this result.
07-16-2019 10:35 AM
Kaplony Offline

(07-16-2019 10:35 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(07-16-2019 09:15 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...741169001/

Why exactly?
07-16-2019 05:13 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America

Interested to read your reasoning (hopefully based in fact) why you disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
07-16-2019 05:47 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Number one, although probably irrelevant, is that the arrest seemed an excessive response to a trumped-up charge.

Number two, it is highly unlikely that the level of force exerted was necessary or appropriate in the circumstances.

Number three, IIRC there were some violations of established procedures during the incident.

It's not "murder," but I think a trial should be had on whether or not there was a violation of civil rights (federal charge) and/or heat of the moment manslaughter (state charge). Of all the celebrated cases were law enforcement officers have killed civilians, only the South Carolina case seemed more worthy of prosecution than this one. Fortunately, that one was prosecuted to a guilty verdict. IMO this one should have been litigated as well. I'm not saying I would have voted guilty. That would depend on the evidence. But I do think there was enough to go to trial.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2019 07:24 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
07-16-2019 07:23 PM
Kaplony Offline

(07-16-2019 07:23 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Number one, although probably irrelevant, is that the arrest seemed an excessive response to a trumped-up charge.

Number two, it is highly unlikely that the level of force exerted was necessary or appropriate in the circumstances.

Number three, IIRC there were some violations of established procedures during the incident.

It's not "murder," but I think a trial should be had on whether or not there was a violation of civil rights (federal charge) and/or heat of the moment manslaughter (state charge). Of all the celebrated cases were law enforcement officers have killed civilians, only the South Carolina case seemed more worthy of prosecution than this one. Fortunately, that one was prosecuted to a guilty verdict. IMO this one should have been litigated as well. I'm not saying I would have voted guilty. That would depend on the evidence. But I do think there was enough to go to trial.

1. Irrelevant

2. A suspect known to law enforcement because of previous resisting arrest cases was physically resisting arrest.

3. Again, irrelevant.
07-16-2019 09:35 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-16-2019 09:35 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(07-16-2019 07:23 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Number one, although probably irrelevant, is that the arrest seemed an excessive response to a trumped-up charge.
1. Irrelevant
2. A suspect known to law enforcement because of previous resisting arrest cases was physically resisting arrest.
3. Again, irrelevant.

I think there's enough there to go to trial. I don't think there was enough in several cases, like Ferguson off the top of my head, but this one I do.
07-16-2019 09:47 PM
king king Offline
Got Nothing on Me

I Root For: Your mom
When a man has law enforcement officers piled on top of him and states over and over again that he cannot breathe until such a time as he stops breathing and dies, that's worthy of having a trial. Say what you want about previous resistance. Past behavior does not give law enforcement the right to lay on someone that states numerous times that they cannot breathe and nor does it give them a pass when that action results in death.
07-16-2019 10:33 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(07-16-2019 10:33 PM)king king Wrote:  When a man has law enforcement officers piled on top of him and states over and over again that he cannot breathe until such a time as he stops breathing and dies, that's worthy of having a trial. Say what you want about previous resistance. Past behavior does not give law enforcement the right to lay on someone that states numerous times that they cannot breathe and nor does it give them a pass when that action results in death.

It does if he/she is resisting arrest. 07-coffee3
07-17-2019 08:01 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-17-2019 08:01 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  
(07-16-2019 10:33 PM)king king Wrote:  When a man has law enforcement officers piled on top of him and states over and over again that he cannot breathe until such a time as he stops breathing and dies, that's worthy of having a trial. Say what you want about previous resistance. Past behavior does not give law enforcement the right to lay on someone that states numerous times that they cannot breathe and nor does it give them a pass when that action results in death.

And that’s why this case should have gone to trial. Get the facts out in the open and let the chips fall where they may.
07-17-2019 08:12 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(07-17-2019 08:12 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

And that’s why this case should have gone to trial. Get the facts out in the open and let the chips fall where they may.

You think that the Justice Department has the same information that the public does?
07-17-2019 08:18 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-17-2019 08:18 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  
You think that the Justice Department has the same information that the public does?

No. I would certainly hope they have more. If there is some information that exhonerates this, it needs to be made public. Trial would do that. Voluntary disclosure would also do that. Without either, this is a result that makes no sense.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2019 08:57 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
07-17-2019 08:57 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss

This is one I think they got wrong.. but we'll never know now, as I remember the video for this and at no time to my recollectoin was Garner ever shown to be resisting arrest (But again, we may not have seen the entire video).

He was slower to move than the cops wanted, but that was it, he (to my memory) never resisted any of the requests of the officers.
07-17-2019 09:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kaplony Offline

So a NYPD officer who has already had multiple legal expenses should have to fork over more money to fight a federal case after local and state authorities have already determined there was no crime committed just to make you feel better?
07-17-2019 09:04 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(07-17-2019 09:04 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  

So a NYPD officer who has already had multiple legal expenses should have to fork over more money to fight a federal case after local and state authorities have already determined there was no crime committed just to make you feel better?

Don't they get lawyers paid for by their union?
07-17-2019 09:06 AM
Kaplony Offline

(07-17-2019 09:04 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  

This is one I think they got wrong.. but we'll never know now, as I remember the video for this and at no time to my recollectoin was Garner ever shown to be resisting arrest (But again, we may not have seen the entire video).

He was slower to move than the cops wanted, but that was it, he (to my memory) never resisted any of the requests of the officers.

You haven't seen the entire video.
07-17-2019 09:06 AM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest

Same here. It looked like an extreme display of unnecessary use of force. Im also upset that they were looking to arrest someone selling cigarettes on the street. I guess there were no violent criminals afoot that day.
07-17-2019 11:39 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(07-17-2019 11:39 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

Same here. It looked like an extreme display of unnecessary use of force. Im also upset that they were looking to arrest someone selling cigarettes on the street. I guess there were no violent criminals afoot that day.
I'm not sure what the verdict would be, but it should be decided by a jury, not the Department of Justice.
07-17-2019 11:45 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(07-17-2019 11:45 AM)Claw Wrote:  
(07-17-2019 11:39 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

I'm not sure what the verdict would be, but it should be decided by a jury, not the Department of Justice.

If that were the case every single case should go before a jury. That's not the way the American Justice system works. If someone thought they could show a crime had been committed...it would have went to a gran jury That's the way it should be because we are a nation of rules and laws. If everyone being investigated went to trial it would tie up our courts and put a burden of proving you did not commit a crime. Along with thousands of dollars out of your pocket....without the very basics of a crime .

The first step is a review by the department and if they think there is enough there that a crime was committed. A person is charged and the case goes before a gran jury. If indited you go to trial....

This case followed that order
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2019 12:05 PM by WKUYG.)
07-17-2019 12:02 PM
Kaplony Offline

(07-17-2019 09:06 AM)fsquid Wrote:  
(07-17-2019 09:04 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Don't they get lawyers paid for by their union?

Irrelevant to the point. It's an unnecessary burden being placed upon someone for something that has already been deemed at multiple levels to not be a crime. A NYPD policy violation? Almost certainly, but not crime.

FYI, the choke hold as applied in the video is a rear naked choke. It functions by cutting off the blood to the brain causing momentary unconsciousness. As applied it does not cut off the airway because the gap created by the elbow is over the portion of neck holding the airway. That's why it's called a "blood choke" and is taught to law enforcement for use when a physical confrontation goes to the ground, especially one where the suspect has a significant size advantage over the officer. While prohibited by NYPD policy it's not illegal.
07-17-2019 12:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.