Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Professor denounces student’s MAGA hat: ‘Undeniable symbol of white supremacy’
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Professor denounces student’s MAGA hat: ‘Undeniable symbol of white supremacy’
Quote:The hat was ‘racial antagonism,’ prof argues

A law professor recently declared in print that a student’s “Make America Great Again” hat constituted “racial antagonism” and stood as an “undeniable symbol of white supremacy.” The professor offered no evidence that the student wearing the hat was racist.

Jeffrey Omari, a visiting assistant professor at Gonzaga University School of Law, wrote in the American Bar Association’s ABA Journal that near the end of the past academic year he witnessed a student come to class wearing a “Make America Great Again” or “MAGA” hat. The hat, which is bright red with bold white lettering, is a distinctive symbol of the Trump presidential campaign and of Donald Trump more generally. Omari refers to the slogan as “an undeniable symbol of white supremacy and hatred toward certain nonwhite groups.”

Laying eyes on the student’s hat (and confessing that he “knew this student’s political leanings from our various class discussions”), Omari writes: “…I was unsure whether the student was directing a hateful message toward me or if he merely lacked decorum and was oblivious to how his hat might be interpreted by his black law professor. I presumed it was the former.”

“As the student sat there directly in front of me, his shiny red MAGA hat was like a siren spewing derogatory racial obscenities at me for the duration of the one hour and fifteen-minute class,” he continues:

As my blood boiled inwardly, outwardly I remained calm. In an effort to assuage the perceived tension, I jokingly told the student, “I like your hat,” when he raised his hand to participate in class discussion. Without missing a beat, the student mockingly grinned from ear to ear and said, “Thank you.”

Scholars have argued that whites and people of color perceive racial discrimination through fundamentally different psychological frameworks. Moreover, people of color and whites are likely to differ substantially in how they perceive and define such discrimination. These studies show that many whites assume people are colorblind and expect evidence of racial discrimination to be explicit; many blacks perceive racial bias to be widespread and implicit.

With this scholarship in mind, I understood why no one else in this particular class—in which whites outnumbered students of color 20 to three (with me, the instructor, being the lone African American)—seemed as vexed as I was. Indeed, in a class with such racial uniformity, it appeared frivolous to rely on students to speak up on my behalf, as one of my associates suggested. An informal survey of my colleagues revealed that no other law faculty had experienced any students wearing such propaganda in their classes, which furthered my contention that this student was indeed trying to intimidate and/or racially antagonize me.

Omari does not ultimately say if, or how, he resolved the situation in his class, though he notes that “faculty of color remain committed to professionalism, which also means peaceably coexisting with MAGA in the classroom.”

Link
07-13-2019 11:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Professor denounces student’s MAGA hat: ‘Undeniable symbol of white supremacy’
(07-13-2019 11:48 AM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

A law professor recently declared in print that a student’s “Make America Great Again” hat constituted “racial antagonism” and stood as an “undeniable symbol of white supremacy.” The professor offered no evidence that the student wearing the hat was racist.

Jeffrey Omari, a visiting assistant professor at Gonzaga University School of Law, wrote in the American Bar Association’s ABA Journal that near the end of the past academic year he witnessed a student come to class wearing a “Make America Great Again” or “MAGA” hat. The hat, which is bright red with bold white lettering, is a distinctive symbol of the Trump presidential campaign and of Donald Trump more generally. Omari refers to the slogan as “an undeniable symbol of white supremacy and hatred toward certain nonwhite groups.”

Laying eyes on the student’s hat (and confessing that he “knew this student’s political leanings from our various class discussions”), Omari writes: “…I was unsure whether the student was directing a hateful message toward me or if he merely lacked decorum and was oblivious to how his hat might be interpreted by his black law professor. I presumed it was the former.”

“As the student sat there directly in front of me, his shiny red MAGA hat was like a siren spewing derogatory racial obscenities at me for the duration of the one hour and fifteen-minute class,” he continues:

As my blood boiled inwardly, outwardly I remained calm. In an effort to assuage the perceived tension, I jokingly told the student, “I like your hat,” when he raised his hand to participate in class discussion. Without missing a beat, the student mockingly grinned from ear to ear and said, “Thank you.”

Scholars have argued that whites and people of color perceive racial discrimination through fundamentally different psychological frameworks. Moreover, people of color and whites are likely to differ substantially in how they perceive and define such discrimination. These studies show that many whites assume people are colorblind and expect evidence of racial discrimination to be explicit; many blacks perceive racial bias to be widespread and implicit.

With this scholarship in mind, I understood why no one else in this particular class—in which whites outnumbered students of color 20 to three (with me, the instructor, being the lone African American)—seemed as vexed as I was. Indeed, in a class with such racial uniformity, it appeared frivolous to rely on students to speak up on my behalf, as one of my associates suggested. An informal survey of my colleagues revealed that no other law faculty had experienced any students wearing such propaganda in their classes, which furthered my contention that this student was indeed trying to intimidate and/or racially antagonize me.

Omari does not ultimately say if, or how, he resolved the situation in his class, though he notes that “faculty of color remain committed to professionalism, which also means peaceably coexisting with MAGA in the classroom.”

Link

Sounds like Gonzaga students are a lot more mature and knowledgeable of the Constitution than some of their professors.
07-13-2019 11:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Professor denounces student’s MAGA hat: ‘Undeniable symbol of white supremacy’
[Image: 3000.jpg?width=700&quality=85&am...4b021d10d8]
07-13-2019 12:11 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
I wonder how the prof would have felt if he had worn a Pink Hat?
07-13-2019 12:31 PM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
MAGA hats are a sign of AMERICA supremacy. Nothing more. Nothing less.
07-13-2019 12:32 PM
200yrs2late Online
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Professor sounds like a *****
07-13-2019 07:38 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(07-13-2019 12:11 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  [Image: 3000.jpg?width=700&quality=85&am...4b021d10d8]

[Image: giphy.webp]
07-13-2019 09:58 PM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU

Link
Tell the professor to lighten up....It's just a f#cking hat, nothing more, nothing less.
07-14-2019 09:16 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Professor denounces student’s MAGA hat: ‘Undeniable symbol of white supremacy’
More snowflakes falling in the cedars...

Sad.
07-14-2019 07:21 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
The thing about symbols is that any of them can be anything you want them to be. To me it’s way less about being pro America and more about being pro-Trump. It’s the right’s pussyhat.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2019 11:08 AM by nomad2u2001.)
07-15-2019 11:08 AM
SUisBigEast4ever Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: 'Cuse, Buffalo
A MAGA hat is a "white supremacy" symbol according to them. Yet they idolize people like Beyonce who go around giving "black power" salutes.

Those who scream "white supremacy" generally hate white people. More people need to start fighting back and calling them black supremacists or anti-white supremacists and see how they like it.
07-15-2019 11:12 AM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(07-15-2019 11:08 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  The thing about symbols is that any of them can be anything you want them to be. To me it’s way less about being pro America and more about being pro-Trump. It’s the right’s pussyhat.

The Left are the ones that have issues with the MAGA hat. If the left never attacked anyone wearing a MAGA hat, it wouldn't be the symbol it is today.
07-15-2019 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-15-2019 11:13 AM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
(07-15-2019 11:08 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  The thing about symbols is that any of them can be anything you want them to be. To me it’s way less about being pro America and more about being pro-Trump. It’s the right’s pussyhat.

The Left are the ones that have issues with the MAGA hat. If the left never attacked anyone wearing a MAGA hat, it wouldn't be the symbol it is today.

You’re somewhat right. The left are the ones with the issue with it because it’s the right that wears it. But, let’s be honest, if the left came out with it first, it would be regarded as a symbol of global communism to the right.

On your second sentence I’d say that if the hat didn’t make it to small, yet extremely vocal and showy groups and events (like Charlottesville), it wouldn’t be the symbol it is today.
07-15-2019 11:30 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(07-15-2019 11:30 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  

You’re somewhat right. The left are the ones with the issue with it because it’s the right that wears it. But, let’s be honest, if the left came out with it first, it would be regarded as a symbol of global communism to the right.

On your second sentence I’d say that if the hat didn’t make it to small, yet extremely vocal and showy groups and events (like Charlottesville), it wouldn’t be the symbol it is today.
The left tried and failed with the pink ***** hat. It just makes it easier to spot idiots.
[Image: 21117-march-on-washington-2-1201p-rs_2c1...caa7c5.jpg]
07-15-2019 11:54 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
How can a professor be so stupid?
07-15-2019 11:57 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-15-2019 11:54 AM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

The left tried and failed with the pink ***** hat. It just makes it easier to spot idiots.
[Image: 21117-march-on-washington-2-1201p-rs_2c1...caa7c5.jpg]

Some pussyhats are more successful than others. The MAGA hat is a great example. While the pussyhat has gone by the wayside, the MAGA hat has a real chance of making into the Idiot’s Uniform Hall of Fame. Right up there with the Jheri Curl and the dunce cap.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2019 12:05 PM by nomad2u2001.)
07-15-2019 12:02 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Let's really be honest. You don't have a clue how the right thinks. So you should quit projecting the way the left thinks onto the right.

Let's be more honest. The left was calling Trump supporters "deplorables." You have conveniently forgotten that. Selective memory is a disease almost universal on the left. Everything associated with Trump was called racist.
07-15-2019 02:25 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-15-2019 02:25 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Let's really be honest. You don't have a clue how the right thinks. So you should quit projecting the way the left thinks onto the right.

Let's be more honest. The left was calling Trump supporters "deplorables." You have conveniently forgotten that. Selective memory is a disease almost universal on the left. Everything associated with Trump was called racist.

Left or right, people tend to do predictably people things. You guys fling poo just like everyone else and aren’t higher versions of humans.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2019 03:18 PM by nomad2u2001.)
07-15-2019 03:16 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(07-15-2019 11:57 AM)VA49er Wrote:  How can a professor be so stupid?

Ask Mach.
07-15-2019 06:09 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

Link

Ha, the only true symbol of white supremacy these days is a W2 statement, not a MAGA Hat!
07-15-2019 06:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.