Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

App. St. the new Boise St.?
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
App. St. the new Boise St.?
It has been oddly fascinating watching this program over the years starting with the shocking win over Michigan in 2007 that put them on the map. Since transitioning to the FBS level they have been mostly dominant in the Sun Belt conference. If they continue on in their ways without Scott Satterfield (3-4 years) I think you have to start making the comparison. The one thing I remember about Boise St.’s ascension is how dominant they were in their conference that if the BCS schools (now P5) did not knock them off early in the year they had a chance to steal a spot in the NC game.

App St. has a ways to go to prove themselves, but they seem to be going on a similar trajectory.
07-07-2019 09:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: App. St. the new Boise St.?
(07-07-2019 09:12 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  It has been oddly fascinating watching this program over the years starting with the shocking win over Michigan in 2007 that put them on the map. Since transitioning to the FBS level they have been mostly dominant in the Sun Belt conference. If they continue on in their ways without Scott Satterfield (3-4 years) I think you have to start making the comparison. The one thing I remember about Boise St.’s ascension is how dominant they were in their conference that if the BCS schools (now P5) did not knock them off early in the year they had a chance to steal a spot in the NC game.

App St. has a ways to go to prove themselves, but they seem to be going on a similar trajectory.

Boise State made their reputation from going to BCS/NY6 bowls and winning them against top competition. They've won 3 Fiesta bowls. Appalachian State would have to play in at least 3 NY6 bowls and win probably 2 before making that comparison.

UCF just went to 2 CFP access bowls, winning one and no one is comparing them to Boise State.
07-07-2019 10:10 PM
VNova Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State, UCSD
(07-07-2019 10:10 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(07-07-2019 09:12 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  It has been oddly fascinating watching this program over the years starting with the shocking win over Michigan in 2007 that put them on the map. Since transitioning to the FBS level they have been mostly dominant in the Sun Belt conference. If they continue on in their ways without Scott Satterfield (3-4 years) I think you have to start making the comparison. The one thing I remember about Boise St.’s ascension is how dominant they were in their conference that if the BCS schools (now P5) did not knock them off early in the year they had a chance to steal a spot in the NC game.

Boise State made their reputation from going to BCS/NY6 bowls and winning them against top competition. They've won 3 Fiesta bowls. Appalachian State would have to play in at least 3 NY6 bowls and win probably 2 before making that comparison.

UCF just went to 2 CFP access bowls, winning one and no one is comparing them to Boise State.

Probably because Boise State and UCF entered FBS at the same time in the 1996 season.

Different times/eras in NCAA FBS/I-A football, so it's difficult to make any comparisons between us and Boise State.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2019 12:29 AM by VNova.)
07-08-2019 12:27 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Boise State is a renegade program that lowered their standards to rock bottom to take any/all athletes (forget the 'student' part of student-athlete in this case) which were unadmittable and/or rejected by the Pac 12 schools. I hope App State doesn't ever lower themselves to those levels just for the sake of football prowess in the G5. And, I don't think ASU will to their credit.
07-08-2019 07:00 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
App State and Boise are similar but App State has a ways to go. They need to draw more fans as their attendance is not that impressive. They also do not have the scalps Boise has acquired.

They would struggle to get to 6-6 in ACC
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2019 09:45 AM by TexanMark.)
07-08-2019 09:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
App St. can hang with some good programs. Agreed they have a little ways to go to get to BSU status. I knew BSU took questionable characters (kicked off Baylor guys), but did not know they had a history of completely selling out morally.

App. St. is a very likeable program. The SunBelt conference seems to suit them good. I hope they continue their upward trajectory.
07-08-2019 10:21 AM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(07-08-2019 09:44 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  App State and Boise are similar but App State has a ways to go. They need to draw more fans as their attendance is not that impressive. They also do not have the scalps Boise has acquired.

They can't draw anymore fans - there is no where to put them, let alone park them.
07-08-2019 12:02 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(07-08-2019 12:02 PM)Statefan Wrote:  
(07-08-2019 09:44 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  App State and Boise are similar but App State has a ways to go. They need to draw more fans as their attendance is not that impressive. They also do not have the scalps Boise has acquired.

They can't draw anymore fans - there is no where to put them, let alone park them.

Huh? They only drew 73% capacity and that is in a 30K seat stadium.
07-08-2019 05:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I will likely go to an App State game once per season once I retire/relocate to our place in Virginia.

It is about a forty five minute or so drive to Boone.
07-08-2019 08:18 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

(07-08-2019 05:49 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(07-08-2019 12:02 PM)Statefan Wrote:  

Huh? They only drew 73% capacity and that is in a 30K seat stadium.

You would need to know something personal and particular to understand Boone. I can't explain it to you.
07-08-2019 08:22 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
I’d like to see that App State-Wake rivalry rekindled!
07-08-2019 09:44 PM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
The population density around App State is very low. A huge percentage of the fans in that area are Tennessee or Clemson fans. They may not be making the trek to Knoxville or Clemson but they will watch them on TV before going to a live App State game.

They have only been in the Sun Belt for 3 years. Give them some time to develop rivalries and they will draw better.

Put Wake on the schedule and they could fill a stadium twice that size.
07-08-2019 11:16 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I've been told by Wake fans that they do not want to view App St as a rival... I think I can understand that.
07-08-2019 11:22 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

(07-08-2019 11:16 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  The population density around App State is very low. A huge percentage of the fans in that area are Tennessee or Clemson fans. They may not be making the trek to Knoxville or Clemson but they will watch them on TV before going to a live App State game.

They have only been in the Sun Belt for 3 years. Give them some time to develop rivalries and they will draw better.

The alumni base is heavily skewed toward Charlotte through the Triad and west to the four county area. In an introductory ed class I taught, two thirds of the girls were from 20 miles around Lake Norman, and another 10% from the Triangle - sent there by their by their fathers because they perceived Boone as safer than Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, or Winston.

From a practical standpoint, you can't get from the Tri-Cities to Boone. 421 and 321 are **** west of Boone and east of the Holston River.

What you have going on is a three way battle between ASU, WF, and UNCC for college football west of Greensboro. But the problem for ASU is Boone. The parking situation is similar to UNC and Duke but with fewer decks. The topography is such that you damn well be in shape to walk from where you park to the stadium.

App no longer has a chancellor that supports football like Ken Peacock and some of the residents of the area are damn difficult to deal with because they want Boone to remain the pot head capital of NW North Carolina.

Boone and ASU is on a track to follow ECU.

Boone's weather is also colder and more variable than Blacksburg's if such a thing is conceivable. Boone get's Great Lake effect snow. I watched a playoff game there about a decade ago and in early December it was 15 degrees, that was not the problem, the problem was the 40 mph wind. Raw was not the word.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2019 12:58 PM by Statefan.)
07-09-2019 12:55 PM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
(07-08-2019 09:44 PM)esayem Wrote:  I’d like to see that App State-Wake rivalry rekindled!

Legendary games by college football titans.
07-09-2019 05:44 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(07-08-2019 11:16 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  The population density around App State is very low. A huge percentage of the fans in that area are Tennessee or Clemson fans. They may not be making the trek to Knoxville or Clemson but they will watch them on TV before going to a live App State game.

03-lmfao Wake at Appy isn't drawing 60K. Where do you guys come up with these claims?

I've been to 3 or 4 Cuse@Wake games and they are lucky to draw 18K of their own fans to BB&T.

Last year's game under perfect weather conditions drew 26K (probably about 20-22K actual) Take away the 4K Cuse fans and you had 16-18K tops.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2019 10:45 PM by TexanMark.)
07-09-2019 10:37 PM
Advertisement

VNova Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State, UCSD
(07-09-2019 10:37 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

03-lmfao Wake at Appy isn't drawing 60K. Where do you guys come up with these claims?

I've been to 3 or 4 Cuse@Wake games and they are lucky to draw 18K of their own fans to BB&T.

Last year's game under perfect weather conditions drew 26K (probably about 20-22K actual) Take away the 4K Cuse fans and you had 16-18K tops.

Wake vs App drew 35k a few years back in Boone. Our schools are about an hour and a half apart, and most alumni of both schools are within 3 hours of either stadium. It could become a pretty solid game that sells out either stadium.

Unless Wake or App double stadium capacity, we wouldn't see much more than 30-35k anyways.
07-10-2019 12:51 AM
zoocrew Offline
Banned

I Root For: PITT, NAVY, MBB
I think UCF is the better comp.
07-10-2019 08:23 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-10-2019 08:23 AM)zoocrew Wrote:  I think UCF is the better comp.

+1. UCF must not turn away too many students!
07-10-2019 08:38 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(07-10-2019 12:51 AM)VNova Wrote:  
(07-09-2019 10:37 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

Wake vs App drew 35k a few years back in Boone. Our schools are about an hour and a half apart, and most alumni of both schools are within 3 hours of either stadium. It could become a pretty solid game that sells out either stadium.

Unless Wake or App double stadium capacity, we wouldn't see much more than 30-35k anyways.

I agree with that...I found it ludicrous to claim they could sell out a stadium twice the size of 30K. Most schools aren't gaining more attendance each year due to HD TV and shifting priorities for the younger generations.
07-10-2019 11:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.