Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New WCHA dead
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

I Root For: WMU
New WCHA dead
Brovol: Let's join the WCHA!

https://bgsufalcons.com/news/2019/6/28/i...ation.aspx

Quote:Seven prominent NCAA Division I men's hockey playing institutions have announced the exploration of a new Division I men's hockey conference that would begin play with the 2021-2022 season. The seven institutions include: Bemidji State University; Bowling Green State University; Ferris State University; Lake Superior State University; Michigan Technological University; Minnesota State University, Mankato; and Northern Michigan University.

FULL STATEMENT (PDF)
The group is comprised of institutions rich in history and tradition with a strong commitment to academic and athletic excellence. They are like-minded in their goals and aspirations for the potential new league with a focus on improving regional alignment and the overall student-athlete experience while building natural rivalries within a more compact geographic footprint.

The potential new conference is also committed to providing the best possible collegiate hockey experience for its student-athletes, fans, and all stakeholders. Finally, the group would plan to establish itself as an elite hockey conference that would have the highest standards for overall competitiveness and rigorous non-conference scheduling, along with a level of institutional investment that demonstrates significant commitment to their hockey programs and facilities, while also establishing relationships with corporate partners and others that create a high degree of visibility and positive media exposure for the league.

As current members of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) men's league, the schools have independently submitted formal Letters of Notice to the conference office, initiating the withdrawal process in accordance with WCHA Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws. The institutions will continue to play in the WCHA during the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 seasons.

The seven institutions have engaged Dr. Morris Kurtz, a long-time athletics administrator and noted athletics and hockey consultant, to serve as spokesperson and to assist them as the group sets out to transform the college hockey landscape.

During these initial stages of developing the potential new conference there will be no further comment from these institutions, including Presidents, Athletic Directors, and Coaches. Media inquiries should be directed to Dr. Kurtz.
06-28-2019 03:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Sup Offline
2nd String

I Root For: broncos
RE: New WCHA dead
Wow , are they screwing over the two Alaska teams and Alabama . Just all saying we are leaving and going else where and you are not invited .
06-28-2019 03:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
schwebbs84 Offline
1st String

Alaska's governor line-item vetoed $444M from the state budget, which included $130M which would've went to U of A. That couldn't have helped the situation.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/...pdate.html
06-28-2019 03:57 PM
BroncoMinor Offline
All American

Arizona St will probably be in this new conference.

This pretty much settles the NCHC vs WCHA debate. WCHA teams don’t even want to be in the WCHA.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2019 04:29 PM by BroncoMinor.)
06-28-2019 04:28 PM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
Everything since the Big Ten formed has been people scrambling to get away from conference trips to Alaska
06-28-2019 04:59 PM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Wowzers!! How come they just don't vote out Huntsville, Anchorage, and Fairbanks?

I'd be shocked if either WMU or Miami joined, though. - > If they didn't want to be in the NCHC, they would've joined the WCHA back when the CCHA folded. With all the budget struggles schools are facing, wouldn't be shocking, though, if either bit.

On the Realignment boards, they usually talk about schools like Robert Morris and Canisius being in a rebooted CCHA, so they are always options as well.

Also, with the recent UCONN news, I was just thinking we could finally (almost) from a MAC hockey conference.
Western Michigan
Bowling Green St
Miami
UCONN
UMASS
06-28-2019 06:51 PM
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Travel costs are/were a big issue in the WCHA.

Interesting. Didn't know this was afoot.
06-28-2019 06:57 PM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I'm not sure we can end the 'WCHA vs NCHC' debate. Now it'll change to 'New CCHA vs NCHC,' and will increase now that Alaska and Alabama is out of the picture. Unfortunately travel costs are an issue in the NCHC and would be less in the New CCHA.
06-28-2019 07:05 PM
Fights for Justice

(06-28-2019 04:59 PM)bronconick Wrote:  Everything since the Big Ten formed has been people scrambling to get away from conference trips to Alaska

Make no mistake---PSU and the Big 14 is exactly responsible for this.
06-28-2019 09:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fights for Justice

(06-28-2019 06:51 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Wowzers!! How come they just don't vote out Huntsville, Anchorage, and Fairbanks?

What is the difference?
06-28-2019 09:52 PM
Fights for Justice

(06-28-2019 04:59 PM)bronconick Wrote:  Everything since the Big Ten formed has been people scrambling to get away from conference trips to Alaska

Not only that but multiple times a year. Who the hell at the new WCHA thought it was smart, acceptable, or permissible to have poverty stricken schools making sometimes two trips per year to Alaska? Wish there was some real journalism taking place over this.
06-28-2019 09:55 PM
Advertisement

Fights for Justice

Has anyone seen brovol lately?
06-28-2019 11:38 PM
BroncoEngineer'05 Offline
2nd String

If this does happen it'll be the death of the Alaska school's and UAH's hockey programs, no one will schedule them for non-conference games at their buildings.
06-29-2019 07:03 AM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
(06-28-2019 09:55 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  

Not only that but multiple times a year. Who the hell at the new WCHA thought it was smart, acceptable, or permissible to have poverty stricken schools making sometimes two trips per year to Alaska? Wish there was some real journalism taking place over this.

There was a reason the Alaska schools were separate from each other in the west before 2013. Keeping teams from having to travel there more than once every other year. The only things that would save their programs ($100 barrel oil) has the nasty side effect of no one wanting to fly there because of that cost.
06-29-2019 12:56 PM
Sup Offline
2nd String

I Root For: broncos
(06-29-2019 07:03 AM)BroncoEngineer05 Wrote:  If this does happen it'll be the death of the Alaska school's and UAH's hockey programs, no one will schedule them for non-conference games at their buildings.

UAH is building a new rink .
06-29-2019 03:01 PM
Fights for Justice

(06-29-2019 03:01 PM)Sup Wrote:  UAH is building a new rink .

Not anymore
06-29-2019 10:19 PM
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
(06-28-2019 11:38 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  Has anyone seen brovol lately?
This is, as conceded by everyone here, nothing more than the WCHA making itself a more cost effective conference, retooling itself by eliminating the financial baggage in the Alaska schools and Alabama. If WMU were in the WCHA we would be in that same mix, and would be in a better financial position because of it. Those who blindly support WMU in the NCHC, regardless of the history lesson that the last seven years has provided, and the overwhelming evidence that my prognostications back then proved clairvoyant, lose sight of the fact that, with the exception of perhaps two seasons, we have not been particularly competitive in the conference, and certainly have not come close to improving our position in terms of advancing in the NCAA tournament.

The WCHA schools are making a smart and intuitive move to improve themselves. Put WMU in that group of schools, and you have a very decent and competitively balanced conference, with regional benefits, including cost control, and school familiararity. Once more, WMU would be in a better position to make the NCAA tournament at the end of most seasons.

Before anyone shoots off too much on this revamping of the WCHA you may want to be sure WMU isn't contemplating a move back there in light of the harsh lessons learned since joining the "elite " conference.
06-30-2019 08:58 AM
okgc Offline
Heisman

(06-29-2019 10:19 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  
(06-29-2019 03:01 PM)Sup Wrote:  UAH is building a new rink .

Not anymore

https://uahhockey.com/blog/2019/06/28/7-...exit-wcha/
06-30-2019 09:39 AM
Rasser Offline
Banned

I Root For: World peas
(06-30-2019 08:58 AM)brovol Wrote:  
(06-28-2019 11:38 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  Has anyone seen brovol lately?
This is, as conceded by everyone here, nothing more than the WCHA making itself a more cost effective conference, retooling itself by eliminating the financial baggage in the Alaska schools and Alabama. If WMU were in the WCHA we would be in that same mix, and would be in a better financial position because of it. Those who blindly support WMU in the NCHC, regardless of the history lesson that the last seven years has provided, and the overwhelming evidence that my prognostications back then proved clairvoyant, lose sight of the fact that, with the exception of perhaps two seasons, we have not been particularly competitive in the conference, and certainly have not come close to improving our position in terms of advancing in the NCAA tournament.

The WCHA schools are making a smart and intuitive move to improve themselves. Put WMU in that group of schools, and you have a very decent and competitively balanced conference, with regional benefits, including cost control, and school familiararity. Once more, WMU would be in a better position to make the NCAA tournament at the end of most seasons.

Before anyone shoots off too much on this revamping of the WCHA you may want to be sure WMU isn't contemplating a move back there in light of the harsh lessons learned since joining the "elite " conference.

I hope we don't downgrade.

Hey judge, list those "harsh lessons" out for us, would you?
06-30-2019 12:39 PM
schwebbs84 Offline
1st String

Leaving the NCHC would be a downgrade, period.

We don't need to be kings of a bus league for a better crack at qualifying for the the NCAA tournament. Just making sure you get in the door doesn't mean you're going to advance.
06-30-2019 07:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.