Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trivia Tuesday
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Smile Trivia Tuesday
Summer time offseason fodder...

1. Michigan is 1 win away from a national title in baseball. The unexpected run by the Wolverines adds to a list of now 3 schools who in the last 30 years won or shared a national title in football, appeared in the national championship game in Men's Hoops, and have appeared in the national championship game/series in Baseball. Name the other 2 programs who can make this claim.

2. Since Florida State joined the ACC just short of 30 years ago, there are only 4 ACC members who have won (or shared) the conference football title, won the ACC Men's Hoops tournament and won the ACC baseball title during that span. The Noles of course are one of the 3. Name the other 3 programs who have done this. (note, of the recent additions, only Pitt could qualify for this since the Orange doesn't field a baseball team at this level and the Irish do not compete for FB titles)

3. In the ACC Men's basketball tournament's illustrious history since 1954, there has only been 1 time a championship game included 2 schools from outside of the state of North Carolina. Name the 2 teams and the year they faced off. (this one still boggles my mind considering we are now into 65 years of ACCT's)

I welcome any you'd like to add via reply.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 12:04 PM by Wear Purple.)
06-25-2019 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: Trivia Tuesday
1: Florida, can't think of another... Perhaps Texas
2: dunno
06-25-2019 12:23 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(06-25-2019 11:56 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Summer time offseason fodder...

1. Michigan is 1 win away from a national title in baseball. The unexpected run by the Wolverines adds to a list of now 3 schools who in the last 30 years won or shared a national title in football, appeared in the national championship game in Men's Hoops, and have appeared in the national championship game/series in Baseball. Name the other 2 programs who can make this claim.

2. Since Florida State joined the ACC just short of 30 years ago, there are only 4 ACC members who have won (or shared) the conference football title, won the ACC Men's Hoops tournament and won the ACC baseball title during that span. The Noles of course are one of the 3. Name the other 3 programs who have done this. (note, of the recent additions, only Pitt could qualify for this since the Orange doesn't field a baseball team at this level and the Irish do not compete for FB titles)

3. In the ACC Men's basketball tournament's illustrious history since 1954, there has only been 1 time a championship game included 2 schools from outside of the state of North Carolina. Name the 2 teams and the year they faced off. (this one still boggles my mind considering we are now into 65 years of ACCT's)

As to your third question, it was 1990 when Ga. Tech beat U.Va to win the championship. BTW, the last time that neither Duke nor UNC was in the championship game was 1996. Either Duke or UNC or both have been in 57 of the 66 ACC Tournaments championship games. Biggest feat in ACC Tournament history? To my mind, it's Duke winning 10 of 13 ACC championships between 1999 and 2011.
06-25-2019 12:29 PM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-25-2019 12:29 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  

As to your third question, it was 1990 when Ga. Tech beat U.Va to win the championship. BTW, the last time that neither Duke nor UNC was in the championship game was 1996. Either Duke or UNC or both have been in 57 of the 66 ACC Tournaments championship games. Biggest feat in ACC Tournament history? To my mind, it's Duke winning 10 of 13 ACC championships between 1999 and 2011.

Well done. Question #3 has been accurately answered. And, thanks for the additional notes. You'd think with Maryland having some good teams under the Lefthander and UVA during the Sampson era they would've broken through at some point - even back then when the conference was the Big 4 + UMD/UVA (and then Clemson and GT who had no chance whatsoever back then). Also, I know some Gamecocks who like to conveniently remind the Tigers that they *STILL* have more ACC MBB titles than they do. Yikes!
06-25-2019 12:36 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-25-2019 12:23 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  1: Florida, can't think of another... Perhaps Texas

Correct on Florida. Well done. Texas has been to the Final 4 three times...1943, 1947, and 2003, but they've lost the semifinal game each time so they've never played in the championship game. Texas won a football title in '05 and they won college world series in '02 and '05 so they were very very close.

1 other to name in addition to Florida (and Michigan).
06-25-2019 12:47 PM
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(06-25-2019 12:47 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(06-25-2019 12:23 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  1: Florida, can't think of another... Perhaps Texas

Correct on Florida. Well done. Texas has been to the Final 4 three times...1943, 1947, and 2003, but they've lost the semifinal game each time so they've never played in the championship game. Texas won a football title in '05 and they won college world series in '02 and '05 so they were very very close.

Florida and Georgia Tech??

Tech ... They got to the men's finals with Paul Hewitt of all people, I think. Surely their baseball played for the championship. Totally guessing on that. I KNOW they shared a national football title with Washington. So that one is right.
06-25-2019 01:08 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-25-2019 01:08 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  
(06-25-2019 12:47 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  

Florida and Georgia Tech??

Tech ... They got to the men's finals with Paul Hewitt of all people, I think. Surely their baseball played for the championship. Totally guessing on that. I KNOW they shared a national football title with Washington. So that one is right.

Ding ding ding. GT shared a football title in 1990 with Colorado. Colorado won the AP Poll thanks to being given a 5th down late in a win at Mizzou. GT won the UPI/Coaches Poll. GT lost to UConn in the 2004 March Madness championship with yes, Paul Hewitt, as the head coach. And, in 1994, Danny Hall inherited a loaded baseball team from former GT & Miami head coach, Jim Morris, who retired a year ago, and in his first season as HC at Tech made it to the College World Series title game but lost to Oklahoma.

That baseball team included Jason Varitek, Nomar Garciaparra, Jay Peyton, and Brad Rigby among others. Note, the MBB and Baseball teams did not win the ACC titles in their respective sports in those seasons they made runs in the NCAA tournaments.

Well done, PG!
06-25-2019 01:16 PM
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

Hmmm .....

I don't know, and I'm not gonna google, but will think "out loud" on this.

Wake Forest seems like a sneaky one here. Did they win a hoops tourney in 30 years? And a conference baseball title in 30 years? I know they won a football title, since my Cards played them in the Orange Bowl in Petrino Era Part I. That would be the hardest thing to achieve in my mind - a football championship. Put me down for Wake is one of the 4.

Clemson would seem to have a shot at this, but I wonder if they have ever won the hoops tourney. We know they've won multiple football championships. Baseball would seem to be one they've hit too. But hoops???? I'll say that NO Clemson is not one of the 4.

Georgia Tech .... I bet they are one of the 4. They've had hoops success, and shared a national title in football, which would assume a conference title also came with it. And have some baseball history. Put me down as Georgia Tech is one of the 4.

So .... Florida State, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech ... and .... hmmm ....

Did UNC win a conference title in football with Mack Brown? I'm gonna guess yes.

So my guess at this is ...

Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 01:21 PM by Pervis_Griffith.)
06-25-2019 01:19 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-25-2019 01:19 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  

Hmmm .....

Wake Forest seems like a sneaky one here. Did they win a hoops tourney in 30 years? And a conference baseball title in 30 years? I know they won a football title, since my Cards played them in the Orange Bowl in Petrino Era Part I. That would be the hardest thing to achieve in my mind - a football championship. Put me down for Wake is one of the 4.

Clemson would seem to have a shot at this, but I wonder if they have ever won the hoops tourney. We know they've won multiple football championships. Baseball would seem to be one they've hit too. But hoops???? I'll say that NO Clemson is not one of the 4.

Georgia Tech .... I bet they are one of the 4. They've had hoops success, and shared a national title in football, which would assume a conference title also came with it. And have some baseball history. Put me down as Georgia Tech is one of the 4.

Did UNC win a conference title in football with Mack Brown? I'm gonna guess yes.

Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
North Carolina

You got 2 of the other 3. Yes on Wake and GT. No on UNC. UNC hasn't won an ACC FB title (or share of it) since 1980. Only member with a longer streak of lack of ACC FB titles is NC State by 1 year - the Pack's last title in FB is 1979. And, you are correct. Clemson has never won a MBB title.

Only 1 left.
06-25-2019 01:21 PM
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(06-25-2019 01:21 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(06-25-2019 01:19 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  

Hmmm .....

Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
North Carolina

You got 2 of the other 3. Yes on Wake and GT. No on UNC. UNC hasn't won an ACC FB title (or share of it) since 1980. Only member with a longer streak of lack of ACC FB titles is NC State by 1 year - the Pack's last title in FB is 1979. And, you are correct. Clemson has never won a MBB title.

Only 1 left.

Damn. OK ... I'll let others play. And ... don't say anything ... I hope the one I missed ain't Clemson!!! 03-lmfao

That was fun. Thanks for the challenge.
06-25-2019 01:24 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Note, Mack Brown came very close to winning an ACC FB title during his first stint in Chapel Hill. His final team in 1997 went 7-1 and finished 2nd place to the Noles, who went 8-0. FSU defeated UNC 20-3 in Chapel Hill that season. It was FSU's 6th straight season they won (or shared) the ACC FB title since joining the conference. That streak continued another 3 years in their 9-year dominance run until the Twerps and Ralph Friedgen ended the streak in 2001.

Of course, Bobby Bowden's guys won it again in '02, '03, and '05. A run that likely will never be duplicated again. FSU was so far ahead of the rest of the ACC when they joined in '92 it was like the US Women's National Soccer team playing Thailand for most of that decade.
06-25-2019 01:32 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(06-25-2019 01:32 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Note, Mack Brown came very close to winning an ACC FB title during his first stint in Chapel Hill. His final team in 1997 went 7-1 and finished 2nd place to the Noles, who went 8-0. FSU defeated UNC 20-3 in Chapel Hill that season. It was FSU's 6th straight season they won (or shared) the ACC FB title since joining the conference. That streak continued another 3 years in their 9-year dominance run until the Twerps and Ralph Friedgen ended the streak in 2001.

Of course, Bobby Bowden's guys won it again in '02, '03, and '05. A run that likely will never be duplicated again. FSU was so far ahead of the rest of the ACC when they joined in '92 it was like the US Women's National Soccer team playing Thailand for most of that decade.

Close is a relative term. FSU stomped a mud hole in Carolina. Carolina has NEVER had a quarterback the quality of Roman Gabriel, Phillip Rivers, Erik Kramer, Russell Wilson, or Mike Glennon.

The lack of a special QB is the reason Carolina is usually just above average. Conversely, NC State often lacks the two big defensive tackles that it takes to win a championship even with special QB's. Got to have both.
06-25-2019 02:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.