Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UConn leaving AAC
Bookmark and Share
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
UConn leaving AAC
Many reports coming out that UConn is leaving the AAC after the 2019-20 season. It’s non football teams will join the Big East while football is exploring its options.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-878026.html
06-22-2019 12:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagNBran Offline
All American

RE: UConn leaving AAC
McClain’s first big job. Honestly, feels like it’s less on him and more on the successful of football and basketball this year. Gotta show we can compete again to draw eyes.
06-22-2019 01:03 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(06-22-2019 01:03 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  McClain’s first big job. Honestly, feels like it’s less on him and more on the successful of football and basketball this year. Gotta show we can compete again to draw eyes.

Football has many of the pieces in place roster wise but the early season games at Bama and State will have us with a .500 at best OOC record. Basketball will be rebuilding but should have the fan support we’ve lacked the last 5 years. Baseball appears will be reloading but the decision process rarely focuses on baseball success.
06-22-2019 01:21 PM
Mao Tse-gore Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: uSm
When opportunities come up like this there is a momentary spark of excitement...until you realize just how feckless our leadership is.
06-22-2019 01:29 PM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(06-22-2019 01:29 PM)Mao Tse-gore Wrote:  When opportunities come up like this there is a momentary spark of excitement...until you realize just how feckless our leadership is.

Agree - My 2 cents worth to everyone would be - don't get too excited, you'll only be disappointed. No one wants it more than myself, but after 40 years of getting excited every time something great is supposed to happened for Southern Miss, just to be let down, I'll just wait and "hope" with very little expectation. In the end, I expect we'll just see another school from C-USA move on and pass us up, while we sit back and make CUSA/Sunbelt the best we can.

I'll be happy if I'm wrong, but seriously doubt I'll be eating crow.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2019 08:24 PM by Up2stuff.)
06-22-2019 07:36 PM
DustMyBroom Offline
2nd String

(06-22-2019 07:36 PM)Up2stuff Wrote:  
(06-22-2019 01:29 PM)Mao Tse-gore Wrote:  When opportunities come up like this there is a momentary spark of excitement...until you realize just how feckless our leadership is.

Agree - My 2 cents worth to everyone would be - don't get too excited, you'll only be disappointed. No one wants it more than myself, but after 40 years of getting excited every time something great is supposed to happened for Southern Miss, just to be let down, I'll just wait and "hope" with very little expectation. In the end, I expect we'll just see another school from C-USA, move on and pass us up, while we sit back and make CUSA/Sunbelt the best we can.

The only real optimism I have is that I think Bennett and McClain are the best we’ve had at selling the school since we negotiated our way into the Metro.
06-22-2019 07:40 PM
Advertisement

EagNBran Offline
All American

I’d really like your reasoning on why that is.
06-22-2019 08:04 PM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(06-22-2019 07:40 PM)DustMyBroom Wrote:  
(06-22-2019 07:36 PM)Up2stuff Wrote:  

Agree - My 2 cents worth to everyone would be - don't get too excited, you'll only be disappointed. No one wants it more than myself, but after 40 years of getting excited every time something great is supposed to happened for Southern Miss, just to be let down, I'll just wait and "hope" with very little expectation. In the end, I expect we'll just see another school from C-USA, move on and pass us up, while we sit back and make CUSA/Sunbelt the best we can.

The only real optimism I have is that I think Bennett and McClain are the best we’ve had at selling the school since we negotiated our way into the Metro.

Maybe we could start a Go Fund Me account - Southern Miss to the AAC. Maybe some ECU, Memphis, Tulane, and Houston fans will kick in. 04-cheers Honestly, at this point, I'm not sure our leadership can do much unless they can sell a snowball in hell, or maybe change the address of the University. It's all about money, size of school, location population, and maybe that medical school we don't have....
06-22-2019 08:36 PM
Black and Gold Battle Umbrella Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USM
Now if UNICEF had a football conference...
[Image: 9d38c7a5-e45e-480f-a88d-4da0ececa0ec_thumb.jpg]
06-23-2019 10:24 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

Have a feeling UAB or USA will be joining the AAC soon.
06-23-2019 03:33 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(06-23-2019 03:33 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  Have a feeling UAB or USA will be joining the AAC soon.

My money would be on Old Dominion if I had to bet.

If the AACk wanted us, we’d already be in it.
06-23-2019 05:20 PM
Advertisement

Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(06-23-2019 05:20 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(06-23-2019 03:33 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  Have a feeling UAB or USA will be joining the AAC soon.

Maybe so, maybe not. USM certainly wasnt getting any help from Uconn, so that's a "no" vote that wont be there now.

You would think that Memphis, ECU, Tulane and Houston would like to have USM in the AAC. Likely SMU and possibly Cincy and the Florida schools. I think USM has a better chance now than they would if UCONN was still there and they wanted to move to 14 teams. The AAC was bending over backwards for UCONN bc of their basketball and they don't have to listen to the BS basketball argument from UCONN ....its all about football now.
06-23-2019 07:03 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
UCF, Houston, Memphis, Tulane, ECU, Tulsa, SMU don't want us. We whipped their asses too much.
06-23-2019 07:51 PM
Eagleyed Offline
1st String

You could say that about any school though. If the AAC wanted _____ they would already be there. Someone is going to get an invite that wasn't in there before.
06-23-2019 08:33 PM
DustMyBroom Offline
2nd String

(06-23-2019 07:03 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  

Maybe so, maybe not. USM certainly wasnt getting any help from Uconn, so that's a "no" vote that wont be there now.

You would think that Memphis, ECU, Tulane and Houston would like to have USM in the AAC. Likely SMU and possibly Cincy and the Florida schools. I think USM has a better chance now than they would if UCONN was still there and they wanted to move to 14 teams. The AAC was bending over backwards for UCONN bc of their basketball and they don't have to listen to the BS basketball argument from UCONN ....its all about football now.

There’s a lot of truth in this. Some people seem to forget that the Catholic 7 were the ones running the show during the last round of realignment. You are about to see a bunch of schools that share history with us make their first real pick in their own conference.

That said, we shouldn’t expect any rush on this. BYU and the Mountain West schools aren’t coming, but Army as a football only is a no-brainer and ESPN and the northernmost schools are going to have their say.

One thing that probably won’t happen is staying at 11. Regardless of what their contract states, they need content for their media deal. The more games they have, the more matchups ESPN has to choose from. Plus, an even divisional lineup is just easier to sell to casual viewers. Especially when you want to spend the whole broadcast talking about the Cartel. They may do 11 for a couple of years, but 12 is where they will be at long term.

This is where I think Bennett and McClain have a chance to shine. Bennett has successfully sold the university to the state legislature after successive presidents failed to do so. We still aren’t getting enough of what we want, but we’re doing better politically than we have in some time. Bennett needs to take what he did there and sell us to his peers in the AAC. McClain’s best bet to help this out is to do some of that fundraising voodoo he pulled off at Troy. Make a big announcement about what all we plan to do, then show how far along we already are. Until McClain does his thing, we are still a viable basketball arena away from being a top candidate for the AAC.
06-23-2019 11:28 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

Houston is a no vote on us, at least they were previously.
06-24-2019 07:11 AM
Advertisement

Footballeagle Offline
2nd String

I would have to agree with Harbor. ODU is probably the school that gets the invite.
06-24-2019 09:03 AM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

The program needs something exciting to happen before we totally dry up...I would really like this to happen, but there is absolutely no way that I am going to get my hopes up.
06-24-2019 09:25 AM
EagNBran Offline
All American

(06-24-2019 09:03 AM)Footballeagle Wrote:  

I would have to agree with Harbor. ODU is probably the school that gets the invite.

While I see the potential in ODU, their newly expanded 23,000 seat stadium isn't exactly appealing. They've had little success since joining CUSA and their streak of sellouts in their 20,000 seat stadium ended this past year. You can have all the market you want, if that market is filled with UVA and Va Tech fans, no one will watch your games.
06-24-2019 09:30 AM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(06-23-2019 11:28 PM)DustMyBroom Wrote:  
(06-23-2019 07:03 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  

There’s a lot of truth in this. Some people seem to forget that the Catholic 7 were the ones running the show during the last round of realignment. You are about to see a bunch of schools that share history with us make their first real pick in their own conference.

That said, we shouldn’t expect any rush on this. BYU and the Mountain West schools aren’t coming, but Army as a football only is a no-brainer and ESPN and the northernmost schools are going to have their say.

One thing that probably won’t happen is staying at 11. Regardless of what their contract states, they need content for their media deal. The more games they have, the more matchups ESPN has to choose from. Plus, an even divisional lineup is just easier to sell to casual viewers. Especially when you want to spend the whole broadcast talking about the Cartel. They may do 11 for a couple of years, but 12 is where they will be at long term.

This is where I think Bennett and McClain have a chance to shine. Bennett has successfully sold the university to the state legislature after successive presidents failed to do so. We still aren’t getting enough of what we want, but we’re doing better politically than we have in some time. Bennett needs to take what he did there and sell us to his peers in the AAC. McClain’s best bet to help this out is to do some of that fundraising voodoo he pulled off at Troy. Make a big announcement about what all we plan to do, then show how far along we already are. Until McClain does his thing, we are still a viable basketball arena away from being a top candidate for the AAC.

What "state legislature" success are you referring to? Did I miss something? (very possible considering I'm out of state) And is this success due to our new leadership, or could it be due to changes in the make-up of the legislature? Honest question because I'm not sure.

And one other point is - are we still dealing with the same leadership at our old conference mates schools? Some of them may vote favorably since we have a history, but some may want to move on, thinking it's in their best interest.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2019 01:45 PM by Up2stuff.)
06-24-2019 11:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.