Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

We hardly knew ya- Pod scheduling scrapped
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
The Sun Belt Conference has scrapped its plans to introduce a new "pod" scheduling system, citing a desire to take more time to study the NET rankings -- which were utilized for the first time by the NCAA tournament selection committee last season -- and their impact on the league's postseason aspirations.

In the NET rankings last season, Georgia State and Georgia Southern, the Sun Belt's best teams, were ranked 126th and 128th in the NET. Per teamrankings.com, Georgia State and Georgia Southern would have had rankings of 50th and 78th under the old RPI system.

Displeased with the discrepancy between the league's standing in the RPI versus the NET, the league may consider a minimum NET "threshold" for its members' nonconference schedules to counter the change.

"At the end of the day, we want to be a multi-bid league," said Keith Gill, the Sun Belt conference's commissioner. "We feel like we are one of the elite conferences in Division I but we need to understand the NET a little better."

The Sun Belt has not been a two-bid league since former members Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee (both of which are in Conference USA now) earned tournament berths in 2013.

In the pod system, which the league announced last summer, the top three teams in the league would have been grouped separately and played one another in the final four games of a 20-game season. The idea was to increase the league's chances of enhancing the résumé and subsequent seeding of the conference's representative in the NCAA tournament and creating a better opportunity for potential at-large squads.

The league will still play 20 conference games, beginning next year. It will announce the schedules at a later date.

The NET rankings consider quality wins according to quadrants (a Quadrant I win is a top-30 win at home, a top-50 win at a neutral site and a top-75 win on the road), margin of victory (capped at 10 points) and the offensive and defensive efficiency of each team.

Eight of the Sun Belt's 12 teams were ranked 150th or worst in the NET rankings last season.

"If you have two top-50 RPIs at the top of your league, then they're going to create Quad 1 and Quad 2 games [in the pod system]," Gill said. "The question is whether No. 125 vs No. 130 [under the NET] is going to help you in the selection room. We know that's not going to be helpful. That's why we're taking a step back from pods."
06-04-2019 03:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RBL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Little Rock
No pods but we still only have a final 4 in New Orleans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-04-2019 04:36 PM
RBL Offline
Heisman

There is still going to be a mirror schedule for next season for men & women (crap)

06-04-2019 04:40 PM
Advertisement

RBL Offline
Heisman

DALLAS – The Sun Belt Conference will pause its previously announced men's basketball strategic plan as additional data and information are reviewed to more effectively determine how to best improve postseason opportunities.

The decision was made Monday by the Sun Belt’s Presidents and Chancellors as part of their annual Spring Meeting with a number of additional topics also discussed.

The NCAA’s NET ranking, introduced this past season as a tool for the selection of men's basketball teams into the NCAA Tournament, was a primary reason for the decision. Data that led to the creation of a new scheduling model for the conference was based on the former selection tool, the RPI. A pause in implementing this scheduling approach will allow the Sun Belt to more closely examine NET data to determine the most effective format for the league's men’s basketball schedule going forward.

“Given the heightened importance we are placing on men’s basketball and after an in-depth analysis of how to improve the quality and strength of our scheduling, we have come to the conclusion that the pod schedule format should not be our highest priority at this time,” said Sun Belt and Georgia State University President Dr. Mark Becker.

In addition to the reevaluation of the conference schedule, the Sun Belt is considering concepts to schedule more non-conference games against Quadrant 1 or 2 opponents that have a positive impact on the NET for its teams and the conference as a whole. These new initiatives may include regular season scheduling agreements with other conferences and a requirement for creating non-conference schedules which exceed a predetermined NET threshold.

“The Sun Belt’s goal is to be a conference that earns multiple NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament bids,” said Sun Belt Commissioner Keith Gill. “By the actions today, Sun Belt presidents and chancellors demonstrated that they are committed to an approach that will result in better men’s basketball postseason outcomes.”

For the 2019-20 season, the conference will continue its mirror schedule for men’s and women’s basketball. However, the men will play a 20-game schedule, while the women will play an 18-game schedule.

It was noted that 2018-19 was a successful men’s basketball season as a number of significant achievements took place. There was a three-spot improvement in the Sun Belt’s conference RPI ranking and four Sun Belt teams qualified for the postseason, tying the conference record.

A number of other topics were covered in the meeting of the CEOs.

Women’s Basketball
Success in women’s basketball was also discussed as 2018-19 saw a nine-spot improvement in conference RPI ranking and a record number of teams in the postseason with seven participants. The group made a point that it is committed to success in women’s basketball and will continue the conversation regarding strategies for its improvement.

Academic Support and Progress
Overall, the group continued to express that it is of the upmost importance that student-athletes receive an educational experience that contributes to their personal well-being and will help them be successful after graduation. The Sun Belt annually awards nearly $70 million in student-athlete financial aid – an increase of 130% from five years ago.

The group discussed that in 2020, a portion of NCAA Division I revenue will be distributed to qualifying members based on academic achievement. Institutions that meet standards in Academic Progress Rate, Graduation Success Rate or Federal Graduation Rate will earn an academic unit and much attention was paid to the importance of earning the unit.

Sun Belt Faculty Athletic Representatives will forward strategies for maintaining or improving the standards to the CEOs. The FARs will also suggest areas for investment that could improve academic outcomes.

Review of NCAA Reports and Legislations
NCAA Division I Council, Forum and Board of Directors reports were discussed and the group spent a majority of their time discussing the Sun Belt’s commitment to enhance diversity and inclusion in coaching and administrative positions and representation in the governance structure.

The recommendations of the Commission on College Basketball and the application of academic misconduct legislation were topics of discussion.

In addition, the CEOs reviewed the report from the Ad Hoc Committee on Sports Wagering, recent contributions and areas of emphasis from the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and the establishment of the NCAA’s name, image and likeness working group.

Diversity and Inclusion
The group reviewed the Sun Belt’s recent Diversity and Inclusion Summit and demographic data for the conference. The group recognized that the data indicated there is more work to be done to meet the conference’s goals for diversity and inclusion.

The Sun Belt and its member institutions have tasked themselves with finding opportunities to create policies that will help increase diversity.

Sun Belt Football
This season is College Football’s 150th Anniversary and the conference noted the outstanding achievements that have occurred throughout the history of Sun Belt football. These accomplishments will be celebrated throughout the season and sparked conversation about the investments necessary to continue success in football.

The Sun Belt finished the past season with a record total of non-conference wins and the most non-conference wins of any Group of Five Conference.

Sun Belt institutions noted the importance of investing in their football programs and recognized efforts to upgrade facilities, improve health, training and conditioning programs, expand academic services,
grow community involvement and enhance fan experiences.

The state of the College Football Playoff was discussed, but there was little conversation regarding expanding the format at this time.

Executive Committee
Louisiana President Dr. Joe Savoie will begin a two-year term as conference president and Arkansas State President Dr. Kelly Damphousse will serve as the league’s Vice President.

In addition to Savoie and Damphousse, Georgia State President Dr. Mark Becker, Texas State President Dr. Denise Trauth and South Alabama President Dr. Tony Waldrop will serve on the Sun Belt’s Executive Committee during the 2019-20 academic year.

06-04-2019 04:43 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: We hardly knew ya- Pod scheduling scrapped
It would appear that most folks cannot make any more out of the NET than I can, and I am clueless.
06-04-2019 05:42 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: We hardly knew ya- Pod scheduling scrapped
(06-04-2019 05:42 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  It would appear that most folks cannot make any more out of the NET than I can, and I am clueless.

Apparently the goal was to hurt midmajors and it looks like it worked.
06-04-2019 08:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.