Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Buster Douglas vs. Mike Tyson Part II Last Night
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
At Buster Douglas vs. Mike Tyson Part II Last Night
New unified heavyweight champion of the world crowned last night as Andy Ruiz Jr. knocks down Anthony Joshua 4 times on way to a 7th round TKO.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2019/6/1/186...ng-results

What a strange fight as Joshua put Ruiz on the canvas, let his hands go to try and finish him then 90 seconds later was on the canvas himself.

Huge turn of events in the 3rd round and Joshua hung in their for a few more rounds but never recovered. It looked as though he was starting to in the 5th and probably could have still won the fight if he did.

Its not that uncommon in a title fight to see a someone go down in the first few rounds by a big shot but come back and win because they still have the legs. Fatal almost every time is going down twice in a round which Joshua did in both the 3rd and 7th.

Ruiz only had 1 loss but it was a majority decision in a heavyweight title fight on the road and it was on the road so the refs gave it to the home town guy. He was only 27 at the time of that fight (though already ranked #3 by the WBA) so still growing at a fighter. But for whatever reason was completely overlooked going into this fight.

The style Ruiz fought with, quick hand speed with constant pressure what he calls the "Mexican Style" is what you see might normally from welterweights and middleweight Mexican boxers. Heavyweight boxers are used to picking their own shots.

Joshua had difficulty in his last fight with a smaller fighter with good hand speed who hurt him early but the extra weight of Ruiz made him a lot tougher to knock out with a lower center of gravity.
06-02-2019 09:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
RE: Buster Douglas vs. Mike Tyson Part II Last Night
Good stuff but I'm not sure how it relates to Douglas-Tyson, which was by far the biggest upset in sports history.

Neither guy was 1/100th the historic fighter and megastar Tyson was.

Top heavyweights today are a bum of the month club compared to the 70s thru the 90s.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2019 10:59 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
06-02-2019 10:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(06-02-2019 10:40 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Good stuff but I'm not sure how it relates to Douglas-Tyson, which was by far the biggest upset in sports history.

Top heavyweights today are a bum of the month club compared to the 70s thru the 90s.

Tyson is in a class unto himself. There will never be another like him. I absolutely believe he was better than Ali. Tyson never needed to lay on his opponent or the ropes. He has a pretty darn funny comedy act he's doing these days and appears to have gotten his demons in check. Good for him. He entertained me more than any other fighter ever has with maybe the exception of Sugar Ray Leonard. Those Hagler fights were epic as were the Hearns fights.

I'll never forget Leonard going to his corner at the end of the 12th round against Hearns in the first fight and Dundee telling him, "You're blowing it now son. You're blowing it!" to which Sugar Ray responded with a furious barrage to open the 13th round, one of which sent Hearns through the ropes. Then in the 14th Leonard staggered Hearns with a right, pinned him to the ropes and unleashed hell on Hearns such that the fight was stopped.

That may have been the greatest come back ever as Leonard was down bigly on the score cards, even thought there was some drama surrounding the scoring.
06-02-2019 11:53 AM
Advertisement

king king Offline
Got Nothing on Me

I Root For: Your mom
(06-02-2019 11:53 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  
(06-02-2019 10:40 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Good stuff but I'm not sure how it relates to Douglas-Tyson, which was by far the biggest upset in sports history.

Tyson is in a class unto himself. There will never be another like him. I absolutely believe he was better than Ali. Tyson never needed to lay on his opponent or the ropes. He has a pretty darn funny comedy act he's doing these days and appears to have gotten his demons in check. Good for him. He entertained me more than any other fighter ever has with maybe the exception of Sugar Ray Leonard. Those Hagler fights were epic as were the Hearns fights.

I'll never forget Leonard going to his corner at the end of the 12th round against Hearns in the first fight and Dundee telling him, "You're blowing it now son. You're blowing it!" to which Sugar Ray responded with a furious barrage to open the 13th round, one of which sent Hearns through the ropes. Then in the 14th Leonard staggered Hearns with a right, pinned him to the ropes and unleashed hell on Hearns such that the fight was stopped.

That may have been the greatest come back ever as Leonard was down bigly on the score cards, even thought there was some drama surrounding the scoring.

Tyson's comedy is funny as all get out.

He credits DMT with helping him to overcome those demons. It's an amazing drug. 4:30 is pretty spot on.

https://youtu.be/_kFGGPhK9Z0
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2019 12:22 PM by king king.)
06-02-2019 12:19 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

Tyson was the most exciting fighter ever imo, but I don't think he was the greatest of all time. He was not doubt one of the greatest though. Top 5 imo. I would have loved to see him fight George Foreman, Sonny Liston or Jack Johnson.

He did have one big weakness, he can't fight backing up or on his heels. He got those big bombs off by leaping into them from his toes. He would crouch/lean forward and leap upwards off his toes with blistering power, speed and accuracy. You look at his highlight reel, he was almost always leaping forward into those big punches. His accuracy and speed were just as key as his power. Larry Holmes even said Shavers and a few others hit harder, but Tyson was faster and sharper with the punches.

What Holyfield figured out was the key was not running and ducking from his punches, but smothering him inside and pushing him back so he is back on his heels or against the ropes. Then he can't get those bombs off with the same power and leverage.

Conventional wisdom would say fighting Tyson on the inside is suicide, but its not just fighting inside but getting right up in his grill and smothering him, and most importantly not giving him room to duck and leap into those powerful combinations. If your too close and wrestling with him, he can't do that, and if you lean on him and push him back on his heels it takes a lot of the edge of his shots. He just didn't have the same power leaning or going backwards.

Most fighters simply would not have had the courage to go inside and stay close though. You get a wiff of the speed and power of those bombs in the first 10 seconds and fighters were running for their lives. And that played right into Tysons hands because he would duck low and leap into those combos as they pulled away from him.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2019 01:04 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
06-02-2019 12:49 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(06-02-2019 12:49 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  

Tyson was the most exciting fighter ever imo, but I don't think he was the greatest of all time. HE was not doubt one of the greatest though. Top 5 probably.

He did have one big weakness, he can't fight backing up or on his heels. He got those big bomb off by leaping into them from his toes. He would crouch/lean forward and leap u[wars with blistering power, speed and accuracy.

What Holyfield figured out was the key was not running and ducking from his punches, but smothering him inside and pushing him back so he is back on his heels or against the ropes. Then he can't get those bombs off with the same power and leverage.

Conventional wisdom would say fighting Tyson on the inside is suicide, but its not just fighting inside but getting right up in his grill and smothering him, and most importantly not giving him room to duck and leap into those powerful combinations. If your too close and wrestling with him, he can't do that, and if you lean on him and push him back on his heels it take a lot of the edge of his shots.

Yeah, there weren't a lot of fighters who figured that out.

I just watched Leonard v Hearns I, what a great fight. I feel bad for Hearns now, he was so darn close.
06-02-2019 12:54 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

Hearns was such a machine. He just didn't have the chin sometimes. Those skinny legs would give out on him.

What an awesome puncher though. One of the best ever.
06-02-2019 01:00 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(06-02-2019 12:19 PM)king king Wrote:  

Tyson's comedy is funny as all get out.

He credits DMT with helping him to overcome those demons. It's an amazing drug. 4:30 is pretty spot on.

https://youtu.be/_kFGGPhK9Z0

Rogan is a smart mofo. He can talk intelligently at length on so damn many topics. Tyson seems like he's stoned out of his gourd during this podcast. Then again so does Joe.
06-02-2019 01:03 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Buster Douglas vs. Mike Tyson Part II Last Night
Buster was a 42-1, this guy was 11-1

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
06-02-2019 08:07 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(06-02-2019 08:07 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Buster was a 42-1, this guy was 11-1

Ruiz is 33-1
06-03-2019 05:52 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(06-03-2019 05:52 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(06-02-2019 08:07 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Buster was a 42-1, this guy was 11-1

Ruiz is 33-1

lol

42-1 were the odds Buster would beat Tyson, not his record.

11-1 were the odds in this fight.
06-03-2019 05:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.