Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2020 Baseball tournament to be in Charlotte
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
2020 Baseball tournament to be in Charlotte
ACC.com

Not a bad location. I'm not sure how they managed it and others could not.
05-30-2019 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hokiehigh Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: 2020 Baseball tournament to be in Charlotte
I was wondering the same thing. I thought CLT had the same issue as Durham in regards to stadium availability. I don't mind it though.
05-31-2019 06:21 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
8 of the 14 programs are within a 4-hour driving radius of Charlotte. I hope the locals support it like they've been doing with the ACCFBCG for the most part and it stays in Charlotte for the long-term.
05-31-2019 06:34 AM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
(05-31-2019 06:21 AM)hokiehigh Wrote:  I was wondering the same thing. I thought CLT had the same issue as Durham in regards to stadium availability. I don't mind it though.

What I read was that the International League (AAA) informed all teams they could not request that their stadium be reserved with their team sent on the road for the duration of the ACC tournament. However, once schedules were released, teams were free to host the ACC if they happened to be on the road.

The confusing thing to me is, it seems unusually early to have a baseball league announce their 2020 schedule in May of 2019.
05-31-2019 07:13 AM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-31-2019 07:13 AM)CollegeCard Wrote:  
(05-31-2019 06:21 AM)hokiehigh Wrote:  I was wondering the same thing. I thought CLT had the same issue as Durham in regards to stadium availability. I don't mind it though.

What I read was that the International League (AAA) informed all teams they could not request that their stadium be reserved with their team sent on the road for the duration of the ACC tournament. However, once schedules were released, teams were free to host the ACC if they happened to be on the road.

The confusing thing to me is, it seems unusually early to have a baseball league announce their 2020 schedule in May of 2019.

Agree. Seems very odd. Also, I wonder why this all of a sudden became an issue. For many years/decades, minor league parks have been used for college tournaments and not just the ACC. I can maybe - just a little bit - understand if the parks were being used for lots of other things to schedule like arenas often are (WWE, Globetrotters, ice capades, monster truck shows, etc.), but are minor league ball parks really being used for other things with any frequency?

Strange indeed. I can't believe for a second they have trouble scheduling a week to facilitate a conference baseball tournament - that is, the home team being on the road during that time. And then, to move from one IL park to another. 01-wingedeagle

Oh well. Maybe Charlotte told to the IL scheduling weenies to just place their team on the road during that time and deal with it. If so, good for them. Seems silly to me. 01-wingedeagle
05-31-2019 07:25 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I can see the problem for the International League. College conference tournaments occur at about the same time. IL teams have larger stadiums so they probably get a lot of requests. You can't have every team on the road at the same time. The simple solution would be to have the host team swap a series with the other team.

The Knights used to play in Fort Mill, SC - a suburb of Charlotte just across the border. I thought they might play there if they wound up having to host a game during ACC week. However, it appears that ballpark was demolished in 2015.a
05-31-2019 08:01 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-31-2019 08:01 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  I can see the problem for the International League. College conference tournaments occur at about the same time. IL teams have larger stadiums so they probably get a lot of requests. You can't have every team on the road at the same time. The simple solution would be to have the host team swap a series with the other team.

The Knights used to play in Fort Mill, SC - a suburb of Charlotte just across the border. I thought they might play there if they wound up having to host a game during ACC week. However, it appears that ballpark was demolished in 2015.a

There are 14 teams currently in the IL. Last week when all the college tourneys were going on, 7 were at home. So, at least currently, 7 have no conflicts. Then, when looking at the 7 who were on the road...

Buffalo - no hosted college tourney at their home park
Pawtucket - same, no college tourney
Scranton-Wilkes Barr - same
Indianapolis - same
Toledo - same
Norfolk - same

Durham was the only one on the road due to a college conference tournament conflict. It still begs the question if this is an issue for the IL forcing away from Durham, then why isn't it an issue for Charlotte? Odd.
05-31-2019 08:41 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-31-2019 08:01 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  I can see the problem for the International League. College conference tournaments occur at about the same time. IL teams have larger stadiums so they probably get a lot of requests. You can't have every team on the road at the same time. The simple solution would be to have the host team swap a series with the other team.

Throwing Louisville into the mix as part of a three year rotation would make scheduling easier for the IL. But that still doesn't address the poor attendance in Durham this year, which calls the importance of including them in such a rotation into question. A rotation between Charlotte, Myrtle Beach and Greenville SC would work for me.
05-31-2019 08:45 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-31-2019 08:45 AM)ken d Wrote:  Throwing Louisville into the mix as part of a three year rotation would make scheduling easier for the IL.

I think the ACC should move ALL of its conference tournaments - and I mean ALL of them - to Las Vegas. I luuuuuuuv that town. But, perhaps that's just me. 03-thumbsup

(heck, I might start getting interested in track & field or swimming & diving if I thought I was going to Vegas to watch the conference meets...or, is it "meats"?)

04-cheers
05-31-2019 08:49 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Should be in Greenville every year
05-31-2019 10:17 AM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(05-31-2019 10:17 AM)bluesox Wrote:  Should be in Greenville every year

I'd get tournament tickets if it were in Greenville. Charlotte is close enough I'd go to a game or two.
05-31-2019 11:23 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams

Fluor Field is beautiful, in a GREAT location, but... it only seats 6,700. Would that be big enough? IDK
05-31-2019 01:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(05-31-2019 01:17 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Fluor Field is beautiful, in a GREAT location, but... it only seats 6,700. Would that be big enough? IDK

I think they'd expand it if the ACC made a commitment. Does 6,700 include the rooftop seating beyond the Little Green Monster?

Besides ... it aint like they drew 6,700 in Durham. A sellout in Greenville with no changes is still more people.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2019 01:25 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
05-31-2019 01:25 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-31-2019 01:25 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(05-31-2019 01:17 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I think they'd expand it if the ACC made a commitment. Does 6,700 include the rooftop seating beyond the Little Green Monster?

Besides ... it aint like they drew 6,700 in Durham. A sellout in Greenville with no changes is still more people.

Not to mention that it looks better on TV to have a full house. And TV seems to be a bigger reason for holding the tournament than tickets sold.
05-31-2019 02:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.