Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Limited alcohol sales coming to UGA's Sanford Stadium
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
Limited alcohol sales coming to UGA's Sanford Stadium
This trend seems to be accelerating. Indiana just voted to allow alcohol sales, which will mean half of the Big Ten is allowing alcohol sales at stadium events. Now the SEC is looking to jump on that bandwagon.

Quote:On Wednesday, multiple media outlets reported the University of Georgia's Sanford Stadium is going to sell beer and wine in one specific area on the club level – otherwise known as the 200 level – for members of the Magill Society.

However, could alcohol sales one day extend to all who are of the legal drinking age who watch games in Sanford Stadium?

Thursday, SEC presidents will discuss that topic at the annual SEC Spring Meetings. Currently, the conference outlaws the sale of alcohol in general seating areas of all its arenas.

Georgia president Jere Morehead told Georgia beat writers Wednesday he’s looking forward to hear what is said.

“We’ll see what happens in the presidents’ meeting tomorrow. We haven’t changed the policy yet,” Morehead said. “I want to hear the arguments tomorrow but I would have particular concerns about our students and how we would manage that in Sanford Stadium. That would be a situation we would have to address if the policy changes.”

Morehead declined to say if he’d be in favor of such a change.

“I think it’s a little early,” he said. “I want to hear what everybody else has to say.”

LSU and Ole Miss are two conference schools who are publicly pushing for the change, although even if implemented, universities would still have the right to decide if they wanted to sell alcohol, even if it was allowed for them to do so.

https://www.11alive.com/article/sports/c...44b65c4607
05-29-2019 08:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Limited alcohol sales coming to UGA's Sanford Stadium
Hard to believe this trend hasn't moved much faster. Schools know they have to give people reasons to go to the stadium instead of watching on TV, and not being able to buy beer at the stadium just gives people one more reason to stay home.

Eventually more teams will also lower concession prices to give fans another reason to go to the stadium, as the Atlanta Falcons have done.
05-29-2019 10:41 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(05-29-2019 10:41 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Hard to believe this trend hasn't moved much faster. Schools know they have to give people reasons to go to the stadium instead of watching on TV, and not being able to buy beer at the stadium just gives people one more reason to stay home.

Eventually more teams will also lower concession prices to give fans another reason to go to the stadium, as the Atlanta Falcons have done.

I watched an Atlanta United match there last year and I was overjoyed that I could get free refills. Perhaps I'm easily pleased, but a reasonable price for one cup that I could refill a couple of times before the game was over? Much better than paying a ridiculous price for each drink. That alone made the experience more enjoyable.
05-30-2019 04:55 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

But overall, I do think alcohol sales are coming.

I think the biggest reason is that schools are missing out on the revenue. A lot of these fans are drinking anyway while tailgating on campus so why not sell them the drinks?

That and the sponsorship. The athletic departments will make a nice chunk of change off pouring rights and signage. It won't really cost them anything to make that move.

Also, I do think this will actually reduce rowdy behavior. If fans know they can get drinks in the game then they will be less likely to load up before. There will always be problems with drunkeness, but I think prohibition tends to have the opposite of the intended affect.
05-30-2019 05:00 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
There is a bizarre phenomenon of people tailgating and never entering the stadium. This should bribe those loiterers to get up, walk inside, and support their team.
05-30-2019 05:44 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-30-2019 05:44 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  There is a bizarre phenomenon of people tailgating and never entering the stadium. This should bribe those loiterers to get up, walk inside, and support their team.

Most of them bought a tailgating slot but didn't buy tickets. They are at the games to socialize and the hook up a TV to a portable battery and watch outside. Those with tickets generally go in unless it's a cakewalk game.

Auburn will sell out at 86,000 but the attendance inside and outside the stadium can range from 100,000 to 120,000 easily on a big game and especially if Game Day is in town.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2019 07:12 PM by JRsec.)
05-30-2019 07:11 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-30-2019 05:44 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  There is a bizarre phenomenon of people tailgating and never entering the stadium. This should bribe those loiterers to get up, walk inside, and support their team.

Well if they've got a quarter mil to donate, they can drink at Sanford Stadium. At least that's what the word is on how they are going to do it to start.
05-31-2019 08:23 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-30-2019 07:11 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Most of them bought a tailgating slot but didn't buy tickets. They are at the games to socialize and they hook up a TV to a portable battery and watch outside. Those with tickets generally go in unless it's a cakewalk game.

Auburn will sell out at 86,000 but the attendance inside and outside the stadium can range from 100,000 to 120,000 easily on a big game and especially if Game Day is in town.

As a technologically challenged old fart (me, not you), I have to ask how they can watch a game at a tailgate that isn't broadcast OTA.
06-05-2019 09:45 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(06-05-2019 09:45 AM)ken d Wrote:  

Most of them bought a tailgating slot but didn't buy tickets. They are at the games to socialize and they hook up a TV to a portable battery and watch outside. Those with tickets generally go in unless it's a cakewalk game.

As a technologically challenged old fart (me, not you), I have to ask how they can watch a game at a tailgate that isn't broadcast OTA.

They bring their own satellite from home and just reset it for the area they are in.

Makes the tailgate a lot more fun when you can watch all the day's games in addition to being in the atmosphere of the game itself.
06-05-2019 01:03 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(06-05-2019 01:03 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

They bring their own satellite from home and just reset it for the area they are in.

Makes the tailgate a lot more fun when you can watch all the day's games in addition to being in the atmosphere of the game itself.

You can do it without a satellite, too, if you want. In addition to your TV, bring a Roku or similar device and connect it to your TV (unless your TV has Roku built in, then you don't need the connection). Use your mobile phone as a hotspot (if your mobile phone company allows it), select your streaming TV provider (YouTube TV, Sling, PS Vue, whichever), and watch the games.

Or just watch from anywhere on a phone or iPad, though obviously the screen is much smaller...
06-05-2019 02:49 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

Most of them bought a tailgating slot but didn't buy tickets. They are at the games to socialize and the hook up a TV to a portable battery and watch outside. Those with tickets generally go in unless it's a cakewalk game.

That is the case with a lot of programs. I know that LSU and ND, to name two that I am familiar with, have lots of people who attend tailgates but don't go into the stadium.
06-06-2019 07:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Lots of people bring BIG screen TVs and have all the games going while they are tailgating.
06-06-2019 08:39 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-06-2019 08:39 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Lots of people bring BIG screen TVs and have all the games going while they are tailgating.

Wow. That's a culture completely alien to me. I've never seen a TV at a tailgate, let alone a satellite dish. It was a long time before I actually witnessed someone cooking at a tailgate rather than just eating food bought or prepared ahead of time. This is an eye-opener for me.
06-06-2019 09:45 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(06-06-2019 09:45 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(05-30-2019 07:11 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Most of them bought a tailgating slot but didn't buy tickets. They are at the games to socialize and they hook up a TV to a portable battery and watch outside. Those with tickets generally go in unless it's a cakewalk game.

Wow. That's a culture completely alien to me. I've never seen a TV at a tailgate, let alone a satellite dish. It was a long time before I actually witnessed someone cooking at a tailgate rather than just eating food bought or prepared ahead of time. This is an eye-opener for me.

To put it into perspective Ken D, Auburn's stadium seats just over 86,000. For SEC games (or other top names) it is not unusual for 120,000 to be inside and outside the stadium. Outside the University sells tailgating spots each year to people who don't buy tickets, invite friends to drive to the stadium to join them, and who put on the spread complete with the Big Screens (about 40,000 more folks at the big games which are not counted as attendance). It was not unusual for those of leaving he stadium to drop by a tent and watch a bit of the other games while walking home. And yes many of them put up the sports version of a funeral tent to keep the sun exposure down. And Auburn's spread, while impressive, can't hold a candle to that of Ole Miss in their Grove. And our favorite visitors are the LSU fans who have some wonderful New Orleans dishes served at their tailgates.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2019 10:12 PM by JRsec.)
06-06-2019 10:07 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(05-30-2019 07:11 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Most of them bought a tailgating slot but didn't buy tickets. They are at the games to socialize and they hook up a TV to a portable battery and watch outside. Those with tickets generally go in unless it's a cakewalk game.

Favorite tailgate I was ever at...

Back before so much of our campus was "developed" a bunch of us, maybe 20 or so, pulled our cars up to a nice wide spot away from the Quad and basically set up a campsite. We were literally there all day.

We had a grill, a fire pit, and tons of chairs while some people just sat in their truck beds. We all sat around a projector screen rather than a TV. The satellite was hooked up and we had to make sure there was plenty of shade for the day games although that night's game was crystal clear.

Plenty of room for kids to play around and everyone brought some food or drinks. We stayed a few hours after the game was over just to hang out. By the end of the night, it wasn't much trouble to just load everything back up and drive off.

The problem now is so much of our campus is cordoned off and landscaped. A lot of new buildings too. You have to park a good distance away and haul your crap to a decent tailgate spot so it's just not as fun as it used to be. Not to mention, you used to be able to park for free on campus unless you had a prime spot for the game or something...you had to purchase a parking pass for those.
06-07-2019 10:00 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-07-2019 10:00 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(06-05-2019 09:45 AM)ken d Wrote:  As a technologically challenged old fart (me, not you), I have to ask how they can watch a game at a tailgate that isn't broadcast OTA.

Favorite tailgate I was ever at...

Back before so much of our campus was "developed" a bunch of us, maybe 20 or so, pulled our cars up to a nice wide spot away from the Quad and basically set up a campsite. We were literally there all day.

We had a grill, a fire pit, and tons of chairs while some people just sat in their truck beds. We all sat around a projector screen rather than a TV. The satellite was hooked up and we had to make sure there was plenty of shade for the day games although that night's game was crystal clear.

Plenty of room for kids to play around and everyone brought some food or drinks. We stayed a few hours after the game was over just to hang out. By the end of the night, it wasn't much trouble to just load everything back up and drive off.

The problem now is so much of our campus is cordoned off and landscaped. A lot of new buildings too. You have to park a good distance away and haul your crap to a decent tailgate spot so it's just not as fun as it used to be. Not to mention, you used to be able to park for free on campus unless you had a prime spot for the game or something...you had to purchase a parking pass for those.

There's a lot to be said for having wide open spaces. A quick google search came up with the following data. Auburn, with about 30K students, has a campus of 1,843 acres. North Carolina, with the same number of students, has a 729 acre campus. Tailgating just isn't the same in a smelly multi-story parking deck. With 35K students, NC State boasts a 2110 acre campus, but most of that is nowhere near the stadium, which is located a few miles from the main campus by the State Fairgrounds.
06-07-2019 10:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.