Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pleasant U Hall Memory
Bookmark and Share
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
Pleasant U Hall Memory
I hope I am not the only one who recalls this game - and I hope I recall it correctly.

In 1977, the Tribe played UVa at U Hall. At one point during the game, George Balanis was so irate about the officiating that when the ball rolled free towards him he picked it up, walked out on the court and slammed it down with the ball bouncing well over his head.

Ejection.

His top assistant, Bruce Parkhill, takes over. Tribe wins!

Two things I believe but can not confirm:

1). This was the first time a state team had ever beaten the Hoos at U Hall.
2). The color commentator on the UVa radio broadcast was Barry Parkhill. After Bruce took over head coaching responsibilities during the game, the UVa play-by-play announcer asked Barry who he was rooting for; Barry’s response was something along the line the “blood is thicker than water”.

I can find evidence that we did beat UVa on 01/10/77 in Charlottesville. The other two items are anecdotal or second-hand (my Dad was listening to the game on the radio).

Does anyone else recall any of this? I was at the game and it’s a big memory for me. I’m desperately hoping it real.
05-23-2019 10:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Biggjohn43 Offline
Special Teams

RE: Pleasant U Hall Memory
I think Di k Lamb was the announ ed
(05-23-2019 10:02 AM)tribeinexile Wrote:  I hope I am not the only one who recalls this game - and I hope I recall it correctly.

In 1977, the Tribe played UVa at U Hall. At one point during the game, George Balanis was so irate about the officiating that when the ball rolled free towards him he picked it up, walked out on the court and slammed it down with the ball bouncing well over his head.

Ejection.

His top assistant, Bruce Parkhill, takes over. Tribe wins!

Two things I believe but can not confirm:

1). This was the first time a state team had ever beaten the Hoos at U Hall.
2). The color commentator on the UVa radio broadcast was Barry Parkhill. After Bruce took over head coaching responsibilities during the game, the UVa play-by-play announcer asked Barry who he was rooting for; Barry’s response was something along the line the “blood is thicker than water”.

I can find evidence that we did beat UVa on 01/10/77 in Charlottesville. The other two items are anecdotal or second-hand (my Dad was listening to the game on the radio).

Does anyone else recall any of this? I was at the game and it’s a big memory for me. I’m desperately hoping it real.

I sure do, as far as I am concerned, it was one of the best things that happened to W&M basketball. I thing George was gone the next year or soon thereafter!! I rlthink Dick Lamb was the announcer then!!
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2019 10:34 AM by Biggjohn43.)
05-23-2019 10:31 AM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Not sure why, but UVA center, Marc Iavaroni, did not play that game, and Matt Courage, consequently, had a big game.
05-23-2019 10:44 AM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
05-23-2019 11:06 AM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

Barry Parkhill was on the UVa broadcast. Dick Lamb was on ours - and he did the UNC game for us on 12/07/77 as well.
05-23-2019 11:51 AM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Online
All American

I Root For: Tribe
Gotta love the $1.79 ribeye on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Back to basketball. That was the season when we almost beat UCLA. The game against VMI was one of the best I've ever seen at the Hall. VMI was one of the nastiest teams in the nation (no lie). Dave Montgomery, Ronnie Carter, Will Bynum, and John Krovic all could score and they had a short/stocky kid named Kelly Lombard who ran the point. Lost to Kentucky in the sweet 16 that year. No player taller than 6'7"
05-23-2019 12:35 PM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
(05-23-2019 11:51 AM)tribeinexile Wrote:  Barry Parkhill was on the UVa broadcast. Dick Lamb was on ours - and he did the UNC game for us on 12/07/77 as well.

Dick just finally retired from his 6:00-9:00 A.M. radio show on 92.9 The Wave in Virginia Beach. I seem to recall him saying that some of the players threw him in the hotel pool after winning a big road game on the west coast trip that ended up at Pauley Pavilion. I also believe that we led UCLA at halftime and that it was the first time that they had ever trailed at halftime at Pauley to a non conference foe.
05-23-2019 01:43 PM
Advertisement

tribeinexile Offline
1st String

The LA Times wrote a very complimentary article about us (it was indeed the first UCLA had ever trailed at halftime to a non-conference for) saying our lead was no fluke.

We then proceeded to lay an egg at the Rainbow tournament in Hawaii. I heard the team was more interested in a Hawaii vacation than playing in a tournament. Quite understandable in that era.

I believe that VMI game was won at the buzzer on a Dave Montgomery goaltend.

After the UNC game, WBCI (as it was then known) ran a commercial with Lamb’s coverage of the final seconds. I have long fantasized that the entire play-by-play of that game would be found and put on the internet. No chance of that.

Just feeling like a time to be reminiscing about the good old days. That is not good news.
05-23-2019 01:52 PM
DSL Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
Wasn't there snow on the ground for the 1977 game at UVA?
I seem to remember a snowball fight with some UVA students.
05-23-2019 02:10 PM
Advertisement

TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(05-23-2019 12:35 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Gotta love the $1.79 ribeye on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Back to basketball. That was the season when we almost beat UCLA. The game against VMI was one of the best I've ever seen at the Hall. VMI was one of the nastiest teams in the nation (no lie). Dave Montgomery, Ronnie Carter, Will Bynum, and John Krovic all could score and they had a short/stocky kid named Kelly Lombard who ran the point. Lost to Kentucky in the sweet 16 that year. No player taller than 6'7"

Yep, VMI was amazing. My dad, a VMI grad, took me to the SC tourney in Roanoke during those glory VMI years. He is still not over the loss to Rutgers in the final 8 that kept VMI out of the Final Four. Not long after those years, VMI began the descent into its current place in athletics. But, during the 70's and prior, they were really good in most sports. I remember watching them beat UVA and Tech in football. I also remember their last win over the Tribe which I think was in 1985.
05-23-2019 02:59 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
(05-23-2019 01:52 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  The LA Times wrote a very complimentary article about us (it was indeed the first UCLA had ever trailed at halftime to a non-conference for) saying our lead was no fluke.

We then proceeded to lay an egg at the Rainbow tournament in Hawaii. I heard the team was more interested in a Hawaii vacation than playing in a tournament. Quite understandable in that era.

I believe that VMI game was won at the buzzer on a Dave Montgomery goaltend.

After the UNC game, WBCI (as it was then known) ran a commercial with Lamb’s coverage of the final seconds. I have long fantasized that the entire play-by-play of that game would be found and put on the internet. No chance of that.

Just feeling like a time to be reminiscing about the good old days. That is not good news.

My memory of the UCLA game was that UCLA had only lost four home games at Pauley up until our game.
05-23-2019 03:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.