Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Live reboots of All In The Family and The Jeffersons
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I think we mentioned it briefly in some other thread the other day, but tonight ABC had live versions of classic episodes of All In The Family and The Jeffersons with brand new casts. Did anyone watch them by chance?

I thought the All In The Family was great - and still hysterical (and topical too). The Bunkers ended up hosting a party for their neighbors, the Jeffersons. Woody Harrelson didn't look like Archie Bunker but he had the voice and mannerisms down pat. Marisa Tomei (and Elle Kemper) were awesome too as Edith and Gloria (but much sexier versions of both of the originals lol). The actor playing Meathead was perfect as well.

The Jeffersons episode (which probably was one of the first episodes of that show) wasn't as good. They hired a maid in it, and while Jamie Foxx was fine as George Jefferson, I wasn't a huge fan of Wanda Sykes as his wife, Louise. It was also interesting that I believe they bleeped out the word n*gg*r (twice). I wonder if they actually said the word 44 years ago when the show first aired.

Still, all in all, it was a great nostalgic look at the shows I grew up with. And honestly, the humor from those shows probably dwarves the humor you get from today's comedies. It's also kind of cool that Norman Lear is doing great at age 96.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2019 08:44 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
05-22-2019 08:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Live reboots of All In The Family and The Jeffersons
(05-22-2019 08:43 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  interesting that I believe they bleeped out the word n*gg*r (twice). I wonder if they actually said the word 44 years ago when the show first aired.
No way that CBS let n*gger be spoken on a taped show in 1975. That seems totally, 100% impossible to me.

The Jeffersons was one of the greatest sitcoms of all-time. Hopefully more of those original scripts will be remade for a new audience. Good news!
05-22-2019 08:55 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Wife and I watched the reboots tonight - even seeing Jamie Foxx's blooper in "All in the Family". I thought Woody did a good job playing Archie Bunker. While Carroll O'Connor had a better accent and was a better actor, Woody's demeanor would seem to be more natural of a guy working on the docks - which I thought was what the Archie Bunker character did. Jamie Foxx looked like a bobble head doll most of the time - significantly over-exaggerating Sherman Hemsley's mannerisms when playing George Jefferson. His voice was close to a dead ringer of the original character though.

I know this was a unique special, but have you guys noticed that Hollywood seems to be doing an awful lot of reboots lately?
05-22-2019 08:55 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-22-2019 08:55 PM)miko33 Wrote:  Wife and I watched the reboots tonight - even seeing Jamie Foxx's blooper in "All in the Family". I thought Woody did a good job playing Archie Bunker. While Carroll O'Connor had a better accent and was a better actor, Woody's demeanor would seem to be more natural of a guy working on the docks - which I thought was what the Archie Bunker character did. Jamie Foxx looked like a bobble head doll most of the time - significantly over-exaggerating Sherman Hemsley's mannerisms when playing George Jefferson. His voice was close to a dead ringer of the original character though.

I know this was a unique special, but have you guys noticed that Hollywood seems to be doing an awful lot of reboots lately?

Not long after it was over, there was an ad for a Farrah Fawcett special.

Is it 70s week?
05-22-2019 09:12 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(05-22-2019 08:55 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(05-22-2019 08:43 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  interesting that I believe they bleeped out the word n*gg*r (twice). I wonder if they actually said the word 44 years ago when the show first aired.
No way that CBS let n*gger be spoken on a taped show in 1975. That seems totally, 100% impossible to me.

The Jeffersons was one of the greatest sitcoms of all-time. Hopefully more of those original scripts will be remade for a new audience. Good news!

Nope you're wrong. Here's the original - at around the 18 and 19 minute marks, they say it several times. But now it's bleeped out.
05-22-2019 09:15 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(05-22-2019 09:12 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(05-22-2019 08:55 PM)miko33 Wrote:  Wife and I watched the reboots tonight - even seeing Jamie Foxx's blooper in "All in the Family". I thought Woody did a good job playing Archie Bunker. While Carroll O'Connor had a better accent and was a better actor, Woody's demeanor would seem to be more natural of a guy working on the docks - which I thought was what the Archie Bunker character did. Jamie Foxx looked like a bobble head doll most of the time - significantly over-exaggerating Sherman Hemsley's mannerisms when playing George Jefferson. His voice was close to a dead ringer of the original character though.

Is it 70s week?

LOL, IDK. Did see some advertisements that they are bringing Press Your Luck back. Maybe Three's Company is on it's way back soon...
05-22-2019 09:16 PM
Advertisement

king king Offline
Got Nothing on Me

I Root For: Your mom
I'd love to see Sanford and Son done like this.

Who'd be good as Redd Foxx?
05-22-2019 09:32 PM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

(05-22-2019 09:15 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  

Nope you're wrong. Here's the original - at around the 18 and 19 minute marks, they say it several times. But now it's bleeped out.
Wow! I admit it, I’m shocked
05-22-2019 09:46 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(05-22-2019 09:15 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  

Just watched that entire thing. Forgotten how damn good that show actually was, and how “changing” it was too.

Good stuff
05-23-2019 05:07 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Those two shows got away with a lot of things that couldn’t be done today.
05-23-2019 05:11 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(05-22-2019 09:12 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Is it 70s week?

We're about a month away (June 25th) from the 10th anniversary of both Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson's death (they both died on the same day). I bet you they would have done a show on his death too, but maybe that Finding Neverland documentary on HBO changed those plans? Maybe they still will have some type of show on him.

Yes, a lot of reboots these days.
05-23-2019 05:28 AM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(05-23-2019 05:11 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Those two shows got away with a lot of things that couldn’t be done today.

Likely true. But what I think is widely lost on most of the perpetually Ooooffended is that both of these shows, and others of their ilk, were actually agents of change.

They pointed fingers at, and pointed out, the stupidity of a lot of the age old stereotypes of the time.

A white guy and black woman married, in an equal relationship that loved each other and living in some nice digs? Unheard of!

I’d bet there were as many people put off by the portrayals there that turned the channel as there were that didn’t realize that the joke was on them.

Hell, you couldn’t make In Living Color today.
05-23-2019 05:46 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
I watched them both and thoroughly enjoyed both. Woody had the hardest job of all trying to play Archie Bunker.

I grew up on both shows, particularly the Jeffersons.

Jennifer Hudson stood out to me singing the open of the Jeffersons and walking through the set. Wow was she hot.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2019 06:13 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
05-23-2019 06:12 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
George being short was part of the deal. He wasn't just a Black man who made it, but a short man. Jamie Foxx didn't fit the role physically. It was a subtle part of the humor, but it was there.
05-23-2019 07:01 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(05-22-2019 09:32 PM)king king Wrote:  I'd love to see Sanford and Son done like this.

No one I can think of.
05-23-2019 07:23 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(05-23-2019 07:23 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  
(05-22-2019 09:32 PM)king king Wrote:  I'd love to see Sanford and Son done like this.

No one I can think of.

Maybe Kevin Hart, but he's not old enough to be Fred.
05-23-2019 07:33 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
I enjoyed the reboots. Didn't get to see all of the All in the Family one but saw the entire Jeffersons one. I thought they all did a good job. I think I saw Will Ferrell almost bust character laughing one time.
05-23-2019 07:39 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis

I know he worked w/ Stretch Cunningham, the funniest guy in the world and hung out w/ Barney Hefner at Kelcy's Bar. AITF is/ was/ always will be one of the funniest shows ever on television. Probably seen every episode 10 times, and still LOL at them. DVR'd last night and looking forward to watching it this weekend.
05-23-2019 07:43 AM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

(05-23-2019 07:33 AM)gdunn Wrote:  

No one I can think of.

Foxx wasn’t really that old, either. He was about 50 when the show started. The show made him up to seek older (I’ve heard that was Foxx’s idea)
05-23-2019 08:24 AM
king king Offline
Got Nothing on Me

I Root For: Your mom
(05-23-2019 08:24 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(05-23-2019 07:33 AM)gdunn Wrote:  

No one I can think of.

Foxx wasn’t really that old, either. He was about 50 when the show started. The show made him up to seek older (I’ve heard that was Foxx’s idea)

Maybe Jordan Peele?
05-23-2019 08:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.