Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

End of free viewing?
Bookmark and Share
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: William & Mary
End of free viewing?
https://tribeathletics.com/news/2019/5/5...1c9da0ecd1

Announced new partnership with Flosports to watch caa sporting events. We are yet to see how it is ultimately implemented, but it looks like most of their packages are $12.50 per month. Not a killer, but I enjoyed the free content. I knew it was inevitable at some point. Most conferences have moved on from providing free content. I do know that if I'm paying I expect the production and streaming quality to be improved across the league.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2019 08:27 AM by mrjoolius.)
05-06-2019 08:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TDenverFan Offline
All American

RE: End of free viewing?
That's a shame, but I guess it's probably good for the conference/us. I assume we get some money out of it
05-06-2019 08:40 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
If you go and try to sign up you will see that the $12.50/month rate is for annual subscribers. Therefore you must pay $150 for a full year

If you wanna opt in and out monthly its $30/month
05-06-2019 08:44 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
This statement confuses me..

Quote:The agreement marks a pivotal moment for both parties as the CAA becomes the first college conference to select a streaming OTT, direct-to-consumer company as their primary media partner. In addition, the CAA becomes the first comprehensive college conference partner for FloSports.

Isn't that what we had before?
05-06-2019 08:50 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-06-2019 08:44 AM)solohawks Wrote:  If you go and try to sign up you will see that the $12.50/month rate is for annual subscribers. Therefore you must pay $150 for a full year

If you wanna opt in and out monthly its $30/month
Whoa... $12.50 is pushing things. Since it said you can cancel at any time, I was thinking I could subscribe during bball and football seasons. If you have to subscribe a full year, that is a non starter.
05-06-2019 08:50 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

End of free viewing?
I think our current commissioner has made the wrong choice every step of the way with regards to conference media.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
05-06-2019 09:08 AM
Advertisement

nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Whelp, looks like there will be another reason to not follow along this year. They say a 7 figure payout, but that could be as low as $1M. Not worth the drop-off in viewership if every school only gets 100K or so. Maybe the Tribeclub will pick up the tab to allow home games to still be viewed for free?
05-06-2019 09:23 AM
tribetime10 Offline
Special Teams

For what its worth, the "Conference Pass" for Big 10 Plus is $110 annually. You also have the option for a team pass at $79.95 annually.

Living in Texas, the free viewing is one of the best ways for me to stay plugged in.

As a Tribe Club Member, I take advantage of *zero* of my benefits (parking and seat selection doesnt do me much good from San Antonio). I really hope they'll consider building this into Tribe Club memberships.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2019 09:29 AM by tribetime10.)
05-06-2019 09:27 AM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
Several schools already did their own thing with football telecasts last year. I wonder if this will cause more contact with local media like we did with Cox Yurview. Not the greatest solution for me personally since I dropped cable 2+ years ago. But, I already had plans to not watch this season so maybe it will be a one year failed experiment with FloSports.

ESPN+ is $5 a month. We must have no desire to have them cover all the games. There are a very large number of conferences that have all their sports on that platform.

Maybe the Tribe Club won't need to cover it to keep the home games free. My expectation all along has been that large amounts of already donated for the Bold money will be used to fund athletics. The cost to keep game viewing cheap is a drop in the bucket compared to all that W&M is going to be spending.
05-06-2019 09:38 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
Several quotes from the article are of interest to me:

1. "The CAA has expanded upon its agreement with CBS Sports Network that will add a regular-season linear TV package in men's basketball".
Of course, the problem with that remains that most of us do not get that channel.

2. "while other events will remain on CAA.TV, the conference's digital network."
Flosports is not showing ALL the football or basketball games. Therefore, I interpret this sentence as saying that it would be business as usual (CAA-TV or Tribe TV) for all the games not shown on Flosports.

3. "CAA fans will have the ability to access live and on-demand coverage of exclusive content and games by becoming a monthly or annual PRO subscriber. Either subscription unlocks access to premium content across the entire FloSports network and fans can watch across all screens by downloading the FloSports app on iOS, Roku, or Apple TV 4.".
So it sounds like, as a subscriber, we could watch content on the Big 10 or Big 12 platforms (or vice versa). So, it might actually be cheaper to subscribe through the Big 10 and then watch CAA content from there. Of course, that could also mean that more subscriber fees would be routed to the Big 10 (rather than to the CAA if we joined through the CAA portal).

Bottom line is that for the first ~35 years after graduation I subsisted on spotty (at best; or non-existent at worst) radio coverage of Tribe football and basketball games. For approx the last 5 years, there has been good radio coverage on the internet (hello 92.3 FM The Tide, my best friend on the internet) and now even CAA-TV. I have gotten spoiled but I guess I can go back to the radio.
05-06-2019 10:05 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

End of free viewing?
I'm fine paying to watch, but paying $150 for the year to see content that covers less than 6 months ($25 per month average) that I care about is a bit steep. It's approaching what you'd pay for a NBA/NFL league pass with half the games and half the production. Maybe it's a money maker for the league, but it is bad for the CAA fan.

A single team option or an option to buy individual games may make it more desirable. Flo loses money that way, so I can't imagine that is something they want. They want you to subscribe during basketball and football season and cancel the rest of the year. That is how they make the most money (6 months at $30 vs 12 months at $12.50)
05-06-2019 10:28 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

[Image: de7d60c7290d17479fac4deb71efd111.jpg]
05-06-2019 01:26 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

https://www.dcunited.com/flosports

If you live in DC United Territory (DC, MD, DE, and certain parts of VA) you can get Flo Sports for $8.99/month...if you pay annually
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2019 02:54 PM by solohawks.)
05-06-2019 02:47 PM
wml33t Offline
1st String

End of free viewing?
This business mode for them is.... odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-06-2019 07:12 PM
Paulbintheburg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
Maybe with that extra cash, they can give a better camera angle for baseball games, instead of having to look at the game with the backstop netting in the way.
05-07-2019 07:27 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(05-07-2019 07:27 AM)Paulbintheburg Wrote:  Maybe with that extra cash, they can give a better camera angle for baseball games, instead of having to look at the game with the backstop netting in the way.

+1
05-07-2019 07:39 AM
Advertisement

Rocco Offline
All American

(05-06-2019 07:12 PM)wml33t Wrote:  This business mode for them is.... odd.

I realize that CAA sports aren't exactly a huge draw but you'd think the conference could leverage JMU football into a slightly better TV deal.
05-07-2019 09:07 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

(05-07-2019 09:07 AM)Rocco Wrote:  

I realize that CAA sports aren't exactly a huge draw but you'd think the conference could leverage JMU football into a slightly better TV deal.

FWIW - I mean FloSports. Different pricing models for different "partners", but it gives you access to all of it? It's... weird.
05-07-2019 10:49 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-06-2019 02:47 PM)solohawks Wrote:  https://www.dcunited.com/flosports

If you live in DC United Territory (DC, MD, DE, and certain parts of VA) you can get Flo Sports for $8.99/month...if you pay annually
Going through the DC united links, it offered the subscription at $5.99 / month. I'm not a season ticket holder, but I do live in the DMV. Not great, but $6 is a bit more reasonable than the ridiculous $12.50 rate. At least it prices it similar to espn+

Since it seems that the entry rate is all over the place, I'd be surprised if season ticket holders or tribe club people aren't offered a better rate.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2019 12:17 PM by mrjoolius.)
05-07-2019 12:13 PM
Purplehazed Online
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(05-07-2019 09:07 AM)Rocco Wrote:  

I don't have a strong opinion about FLO but based on the JMU boards and what I've heard on the radio, JMU fans are underwhelmed.
05-07-2019 12:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.