Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball: Up 7 with a minute to go
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
MyBB Basketball: Up 7 with a minute to go
I can remember in basketball (college and pro) whereby if you were up 4 points within a minute it was considered a done deal that you were going to win the game. Two more half court offenses would play out and only if the other team could get it into 1 possession where they get serious about it.

That is the way it was but anymore I think the line is 7 points. I was out watching a game 45sec and this guy who was an older fan thought it was over because they were up by 5. But it was just two possessions and a three could fly anytime.

Its interesting to me because it makes the games a lot more contestable than what they used to be. I think it also puts pressure to push the lead over 10 within 3 minutes if your up 6-8 in the 4th. But even at 10 point cushion the other team will hack with fouls in the final minute.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2019 08:48 AM by Kit-Cat.)
05-04-2019 08:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: Basketball: Up 7 with a minute to go

8 points in the last 19 seconds on this one. Good memory.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2019 11:44 AM by 72Tiger.)
05-04-2019 08:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

The question is at what point do you have reasonable control of the game.

At 5 or 6 going into the final minute you are hanging on.

7 or 8 points you are in the driver seat. You can absorb 2 three pointers and still win, maybe 3 if getting to line when fouled and extra free throws.

If the odds to knock down a 3 is 40 percent the chance of hitting three of them is 6.4 percent. Then what are the chances of getting 3 possessions in the final minute?

Its a lot better than it was and the 3 point percentage is far higher than it was 20 years ago across the starting lineup.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2019 09:15 AM by Kit-Cat.)
05-04-2019 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Basketball: Up 7 with a minute to go
I can’t find the video but Isiah Thomas single handed did I think a nine or ten point deficit in the last 20 seconds for the Pistons back in the day

Basketball has a human element and kids will make mistakes and great players will take advantage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-04-2019 10:09 AM
Advertisement

teamvsn Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NAIA
It doesn't matter what level you are at, if you don't have good free throw shooters and the other team has good 3 point shooters, you are vulnerable. I remember seeing a game where a team was down by 10 with a minute to go and forced overtime. The leading team's fans were chanting "go start the bus" and ended up losing.
05-04-2019 04:37 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-04-2019 04:37 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  It doesn't matter what level you are at, if you don't have good free throw shooters and the other team has good 3 point shooters, you are vulnerable. I remember seeing a game where a team was down by 10 with a minute to go and forced overtime. The leading team's fans were chanting "go start the bus" and ended up losing.

Did you feel the same way watching a game 25 or 30 years ago?
05-04-2019 09:07 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Carolina beats Dook after being down by 8 with only 17 seconds to play

BEFORE THE THREE POINT SHOT
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2019 11:51 AM by XLance.)
05-05-2019 11:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.