Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another cost-cutting move for ESPN
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Another cost-cutting move for ESPN
ESPN the Magazine will be discontinued by September.

No announcement of layoffs although apparently a lot of the staff had already been transitioned to other departments.

The digital age claims another victim, but this should also free up some cash for more worthwhile endeavors.

Speaking of print media, how long before the vast majority of outlets have completely transitioned away from paper distribution? The thing about ESPN is they don't need the magazine to make money as their primary business is in other mediums. How long can other outlets survive that aren't connected to multimedia platforms?
04-30-2019 06:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
RE: Another cost-cutting move for ESPN
Not a major move but it shows, to whatever extent it matters, that they’re watching their pennies.
04-30-2019 08:32 PM
ICThawk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KU
(04-30-2019 06:30 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  ESPN the Magazine will be discontinued by September.

No announcement of layoffs although apparently a lot of the staff had already been transitioned to other departments.

The digital age claims another victim, but this should also free up some cash for more worthwhile endeavors.

Speaking of print media, how long before the vast majority of outlets have completely transitioned away from paper distribution? The thing about ESPN is they don't need the magazine to make money as their primary business is in other mediums. How long can other outlets survive that aren't connected to multimedia platforms?

As a slight clarification, the PRINT edition of the ESPN Magazine will cease in September as in the above, however it evidently will remain "active", at least in some form, as an internet based publication.

“Consumer habits are evolving rapidly, and this requires ESPN to evolve as well,” a company statement read. “The only change here is that we are moving away from printing it on paper and sending it in the mail, following September’s release of The Body Issue.”

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2019/04/30...-september
05-01-2019 11:32 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(05-01-2019 11:32 AM)ICThawk Wrote:  
(04-30-2019 06:30 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  ESPN the Magazine will be discontinued by September.

As a slight clarification, the PRINT edition of the ESPN Magazine will cease in September as in the above, however it evidently will remain "active", at least in some form, as an internet based publication.

“Consumer habits are evolving rapidly, and this requires ESPN to evolve as well,” a company statement read. “The only change here is that we are moving away from printing it on paper and sending it in the mail, following September’s release of The Body Issue.”

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2019/04/30...-september

Bookstores started diversifying by adding coffee shops. Then sold tablets. Then sold toys, records/music. Soon some will start selling alcohol.

Changing markets require changing business plans.
05-01-2019 02:08 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
Who buys ESPN print magazines? Sounds like something stuffed in the back of airline seats from 1995.
05-01-2019 07:09 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-01-2019 07:09 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Who buys ESPN print magazines? Sounds like something stuffed in the back of airline seats from 1995.

Probably the same people who actually pay for a USAToday. Their circulation is based upon 11 cent copies passed out as amenities at hotels.
05-01-2019 08:41 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
I found one in my closet from 2009 while preparing for my cruise last week. lol
05-06-2019 02:13 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-06-2019 02:13 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I found one in my closet from 2009 while preparing for my cruise last week. lol

While we are at it, I wonder if anyone has considered the fact that the ACCN may well be a cost cutting tool for ESPN?

ESPN had to pay each ACC school 2 to 3 million a year extra for not having a network.

ESPN covered all of the ACC's T1 and T2 overhead via their rights deal.

Now that ESPN is opening the ACCN they no longer have to supplement the ACC's T3 because they don't have a network, and they get to split the costs with the ACC over the ACCN.

Whether it makes money or not might well depend on the rate per subscription that the ACC will receive and that hasn't been addressed publicly. I seriously doubt they'll get the $1.30 in footprint that the SEC gets because they just don't have the market penetration to do that.

So perhaps we can add the ACCN to the list of ESPN cost cutting moves.
05-06-2019 02:18 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(05-06-2019 02:18 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-06-2019 02:13 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I found one in my closet from 2009 while preparing for my cruise last week. lol

While we are at it, I wonder if anyone has considered the fact that the ACCN may well be a cost cutting tool for ESPN?

ESPN had to pay each ACC school 2 to 3 million a year extra for not having a network.

ESPN covered all of the ACC's T1 and T2 overhead via their rights deal.

Now that ESPN is opening the ACCN they no longer have to supplement the ACC's T3 because they don't have a network, and they get to split the costs with the ACC over the ACCN.

Whether it makes money or not might well depend on the rate per subscription that the ACC will receive and that hasn't been addressed publicly. I seriously doubt they'll get the $1.30 in footprint that the SEC gets because they just don't have the market penetration to do that.

So perhaps we can add the ACCN to the list of ESPN cost cutting moves.

Most likely.

At the very least, it's a strategy to raise the profit margin for their expenditure on the ACC.
05-06-2019 03:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.